ATD 2011 SIGN-UP HERE (state interest, vote on options, discussions, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
THE 2011 ALL-TIME DRAFT

Action.jpg

The General Manager:
1. seventieslord - Regina Pats -
2. BiLLY_ShOE1721 - Philadelphia Firebirds -
3. jareklajkosz & jkrx - North Pole Penguinators -
4. monster_bertuzzi - Vancouver Millionaires -
5. Hedberg & vancityluongo - Tidewater Sharks -
6. MadArcand - Hartford Whalers -
7. EagleBelfour - Detroit Falcons -
8. TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils -
9. DoMakc - Detroit Red Wings -
10. Nighthawks - New Haven Nighthawks -
11. Leafs Forever - Toronto St. Pats -
12. markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks -
13. Mr Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters -
14. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs -
15. papershoes - Kenora Thistles -
16. overpass - Ottawa Senators -
17. tony d & Anton Carter - Garnish Phantoms -
18. Stoneberg - Halifax Mooseheads -
19. nik jr - Jokerit Helsinki -
20. jkrx -
21. Velociraptor - Cleveland Barons -
22. JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers -
23. chaosrevolver - Peterborough Petes -
24. Nayld Psycho - Minnesota Fighting Saints -
25. arrbez - Inglewood Jacks -
26. Rick Middleton - Gwinnett Gladiators -
27. raleh - Springfield Indians -
28. matsblue13 - Niagara City Blues -
29. thatguy17 - Vancouver Velocity -
30. hungryhungryhippo - Vancouver Maroons -
31. advantage2006 - Montreal AAA HC -
32. Dreakmur - McGuire's Monsters
33. Cognition & JustOneOfTheGuys - San Jose Sharks
34. BraveCanadian - Guelph Platers
35. Reds4Life - Trinec Steelers
36. MVPeyton & The Sabre - Portland Pirates
37. Dwight & Zamboni Mania - Guelph Storm
38. Modo - Dawson City Nuggets
39. Reen Machine - TBA
40. Home Nugget - Detroit Riots

The Rules:

1. Draft Order:
- Random

2. Constitution of the division:
- They will be decided at random after the results of the draft order

Red Fisher Conference
Jim Robson division (1-9-17-25-33)
Foster Hewitt division (2-10-18-26-34)
Louis Magnus division (3-11-19-27-35)
Sam Pollock division (4-12-20-28-36)

Jim Coleman Conference
Bob Cole division (5-13-21-29-37)
René Lecavalier division (6-14-22-30-38)
Thomas D. Green division (7-15-23-31-39)
William Northey division (8-16-24-32-40)

If we get less than 40 teams, we subtract from #40.

3. Playoffs

- All 40 teams makes the playoffs, #4 and #5 seed play an Home-Away two game series

4. Trades

-TBA

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
VI, if you want this to be as complete and exhaustive as it sounds, referring back to old bios should also be a must, so that the best and most complete bio is carried forward for future reference. It will take a mod to copy the formatting of those bios, though. That's where you come in. You'll probably need to intervene as well, when less-gung-ho GMs just post a pick or a two-line bio. Edit that post, pasting in the body of knowledge that already exists on that player.
*sigh* yeah, I'll pick up the slack. But hopefully most GMs most of the time will be able to access via search command, cut-and-paste and maybe spruce up bios when posting their picks, or as soon as they can afterwards. There will be a Bios thread to post to and I'll follow one round behind and link bios, tying in old bios, updating where need be. But the hope is the lion's share will be spread out, each GM posting what they have researched in making their pick. It doesn't take long. Of course, on a busy day there's no time. I'll also try and add in good info, stats, quotes and reasoning that surfaces on the threads in debates. There is a lot of good discussion, facts and stories shared during the drafts and it's about time to collect and reference them in a growing database. It'll be an ongoing process.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'm in.

JFM.

And I'll be.. the North Pole Penguinators!

1190015_67d9_625x1000.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
*sigh* yeah, I'll pick up the slack. But hopefully most GMs most of the time will be able to access via search command, cut-and-paste and maybe spruce up bios when posting their picks, or as soon as they can afterwards. There will be a Bios thread to post to and I'll follow one round behind and link bios, tying in old bios, updating where need be. But the hope is the lion's share will be spread out, each GM posting what they have researched in making their pick. It doesn't take long. Of course, on a busy day there's no time. I'll also try and add in good info, stats, quotes and reasoning that surfaces on the threads in debates. There is a lot of good discussion, facts and stories shared during the drafts and it's about time to collect and reference them in a growing database. It'll be an ongoing process.

I feel I've helped us make major strides towards that. Hedberg and I have both mentioned in the past that this should be the ultimate goal - can you imagine 1000 seventies-style bios? We won't get there, but we should at least be able to have 1000 bios as good as the ones I just did in the AA draft. Eventually.

The reason I say we need a mod, BTW, is because those old threads are locked.

I hope that anytime someone picks a guy I've taken before, they post everything I had in my most recent bio, and find at least a couple more things to throw in.

EB, LF, and TDMM are also responsible for very strong bios too.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
BTW VI, I meant to reply to your recruitment PM, I just haven't yet. I think it's a good idea and I might be able to lure a couple of SIHR guys over. Or maybe not. You'd think every SIHR guy would be like you and I, but they have a very wide and varied range of interests, most notably the origins of the game, senior, minor league, local, and junior hockey, collection of old or previously unpublished statistics, book and media guide collections, and the business of hockey. Having met many of them, I can confidently say about the ATD. "they're just not that into it."

but I think Joe Pelletier is a strong candidate (I've been trying to convince him for a year now) and I could likely find one more. The HOH board will be a much richer source of new blood though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That would be an almost surreal experience considering he's cited all the time in the MLD/AAA/AA.

In that respect, it kinda would be. He's a great guy, an excellent hockey fan, and like me, a big book collector and researcher. No doubt he knows his stuff, but he's not a transcendent source of info, either. He's a good historian, like you or me or TDMM, or VI, except that he also has a blog.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I'll definitely be in again this time around. 40 teams would be an amazing experience. However, I prefer having a standard 32 teams with 32 GM's that are into the draft and are committed to making it another great instalment of the ATD than pressuring ourselves to have 40 teams and have 6-to-8 mediocre teams that aren't really into the whole process.

I am right now in Australia for at least another 2 to 3 months. I should be back into the country by late February or in March. Since I should have access to the Internet fairly regularly, having my own team in the ATD shouldn't be a problem. However, depending on when we will start the draft, I might need a Co-GM, especially if we start in January. Because of my situation and the fact that I don't feel we should be in a rush to start the draft, my vote is:

March
February
January

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'll definitely be in again this time around. 40 teams would be an amazing experience. However, I prefer having a standard 32 teams with 32 GM's that are into the draft and are committed to making it another great instalment of the ATD than pressuring ourselves to have 40 teams and have 6-to-8 mediocre teams that aren't really into the whole process.

I am right now in Australia for at least another 2 to 3 months. I should be back into the country by late February or in March. Since I should have access to the Internet fairly regularly, having my own team in the ATD shouldn't be a problem. However, depending on when we will start the draft, I might need a Co-GM, especially if we start in January. Because of my situation and the fact that I don't feel we should be in a rush to start the draft, my vote is:

March
February
January

I don't see why we can't make this a 40-team affair and have the same proportion of committed/indifferent teams as usual. (ideally I would like 40 committed teams but that will never happen) - if we have 4 indifferent teams out of 32, what's 5 or 6 or 40? The draft can handle it.

Also, keep up the good work on the bios, but you can leave out the times that so-and-so was 8th in WCHL playoff PIM among defensemen ;)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
you can leave out the times that so-and-so was 8th in WCHL playoff PIM among defensemen ;)

I like his bios. Just like most bios (including yours :naughty:), there are some things I ignore, but there's no reason for him to change them. As long as the information is there and easy to read, that's all that matters.

Everyone has a different style, and I think it's pretty cool. A lot of these recent bios are clearly taken from others, and you can see the little signatures. I like that I can see somebody post a bio, and say "oh, he stole that from 70s"....

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
January
February
March

I'll join but would like to be someone's co-GM again, so anyone who's interested let me know. Really enjoying this stuff but have never did an actual ATD before.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Of course I am in. 40 teams FTW. 1000 picks or bust!

I really hope not. It just doesn't seem like a realistic league with more than 32 teams.

28-32 teams is ideal IMO. Maybe I'm attached to the idea of about 30 teams because that seems to be the ideal in North American sports, but well... I'm attached to it.

Plus, 40 teams would be a nightmare when it comes to playoff time. With 28 teams, you can give the #1 team a first round bye. Just how do you break up the divisions in 40 teams if every team makes the playoffs?

Edit: Another debbie-downer reason: Frankly, I think a lot of GMs will start to lose interest if they have to wait that long between picks.

I feel I've helped us make major strides towards that. Hedberg and I have both mentioned in the past that this should be the ultimate goal - can you imagine 1000 seventies-style bios? We won't get there, but we should at least be able to have 1000 bios as good as the ones I just did in the AA draft. Eventually.

The reason I say we need a mod, BTW, is because those old threads are locked.

I hope that anytime someone picks a guy I've taken before, they post everything I had in my most recent bio, and find at least a couple more things to throw in.

EB, LF, and TDMM are also responsible for very strong bios too.

It was interesting - when I was going through this board for old bios to post for pre-1926 HHOFers for the new HOHHOF project, I found that something like 75% of them already had decent bios, and probably a little less than half had what I would call 'complete' bios already. I know I always try to take guys I've never taken before, so I should be able to add quite a few next time.

Last edited:

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I'd like to manage Detroit Red Wings, but I have no problems to choose another name if Spit comes back.

And JFM.

I'll definitely be in again this time around. 40 teams would be an amazing experience. However, I prefer having a standard 32 teams with 32 GM's that are into the draft and are committed to making it another great instalment of the ATD than pressuring ourselves to have 40 teams and have 6-to-8 mediocre teams that aren't really into the whole process

I agree. We had problems to field 28 teams last time, didn't we? 40 may be too ambitious.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I like his bios. Just like most bios (including yours :naughty:), there are some things I ignore, but there's no reason for him to change them. As long as the information is there and easy to read, that's all that matters.

Useless is useless.

I really hope not. It just doesn't seem like a realistic league with more than 32 teams.

28-32 teams is ideal IMO. Maybe I'm attached to the idea of about 30 teams because that seems to be the ideal in North American sports, but well... I'm attached to it.

If that's the only reason, we should be ambitious and push for 40. Why conform to any set size?

Plus, 40 teams would be a nightmare when it comes to playoff time. With 28 teams, you can give the #1 team a first round bye. Just how do you break up the divisions in 40 teams if every team makes the playoffs?

I can make a playoff format for absolutely any league size. the worst are 13 and 17. 40 is a piece of cake:

8 divisions of 5 teams. #4/5 playoff first, winner faces #1. After the prelims we are narrowed down to 32 and it goes like normal from there. badabing, badaboom.

Edit: Another debbie-downer reason: Frankly, I think a lot of GMs will start to lose interest if they have to wait that long between picks.

Not me. I'll be even more interested. Less rush rush rush, go go go, more time to research, more time for bios.

I would very much like for this to be the case, if at all possible.

It's not hard to do at all. Just use all the teams from one division, as the first teams in new divisions and work from there. If we do 8 teams this time, then no one would have to be in the same division as anyone from last draft. (some broken-up and assembled co-GM tandems notwithstanding) - if we don't have 8 divisions, we can still do it but just make sure teams that had playoff matchups last time get separated. Still pretty easy.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's not hard to do at all. Just use all the teams from one division, as the first teams in new divisions and work from there. If we do 8 teams this time, then no one would have to be in the same division as anyone from last draft. (some broken-up and assembled co-GM tandems notwithstanding) - if we don't have 8 divisions, we can still do it but just make sure teams that had playoff matchups last time get separated. Still pretty easy.

This, however, means that draft order will have nothing to do with divisions, so you might see guys from the same division drafting in consecutive turns. Meaning not every division will have to deal with a "big 4" player. I guess we'd want to put it to a vote (as we would whether the ideal is 32 teams or 40 teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad