ATD 2010 Bob Cole Final: Inglewood Jacks (1) vs. Battle Creek Battalion (3)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Bob Cole Division Final Round:

Inglewood Jacks

coaches Pat Quinn, Ken Hitchcock

Dickie Moore (A) - Peter Stastny - Bernie Geoffrion
Paul Thompson - Alexander Maltsev - Boris Mikhailov (C)
Vincent Damphousse - Ken Mosdell - Claude Provost
Johnny Sorrell - Henrik Sedin - Jimmy Peters
Extra: Daniel Sedin

Bill Gadsby (A) - Zdeno Chara
Red Dutton - Pat Stapleton
Jimmy Watson - Glen Harmon
Extra: Rod Seiling

Harry Lumley
Percy LeSueur

vs.

Battle Creek Battalion

coaches Frank Boucher, Roger Neilson

Bobby Hull - Joe Primeau - Cecil Dillon
Bun Cook - Milan Novy - Andy Bathgate
Louis Berlinguette - Derek Sanderson - Ron Ellis
Kirk Muller (A) - Neal Broten - Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson
Jack Findlay

Scott Stevens (C) - Eddie Gerard
Eric Desjardins - Jim Schoenfeld (A)
Rob Ramage - Jerry Korab
Ron Stackhouse

Jiri Holecek
Victor Konovalenko

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Inglewood Jacks

PP1: Gadsby - Geoffrion - Moore - Stastny - Maltsev
PP2: Stapleton - Chara - Thompson - H. Sedin - Mikhailov

PK1: Provost - Mosdell - Gadsby - Chara
PK2: Thompson - Mikhailov - Watson - Dutton

vs.

Battle Creek Battalion

PP1: Hull - Primeau - Muller - Gerard - Bathgate
PP2: Cook - Novy - Dillon - Desjardins - Ramage

PK1: Sanderson - Ellis - Stevens - Gerard
PK2: Broten - Berlinguette - Desjardins - Schoenfeld

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
And Claude Provost finally gets to do what he was drafted to do!

Solid final. I really like both of these teams.

Yeah, should be another good series. As you mentioned, it's nice to have the best Bobby Hull deterrent of all time on my team.

I'm going to move Damphousse and Peters around on my 3rd and 4th lines. So my forwards are going to look like this:

Dickie Moore - Peter Stastny - Bernie Geoffrion
Paul Thompson - Alexander Maltsev - Boris Mikhailov
Jimmy Peters - Ken Mosdell - Claude Provost
Vincent Damphousse - Henrik Sedin - Johnny Sorrell

If VanIslander or another mod (do we have any?) could swap that into the first post, that would be much appreciated.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Well, today's my 19th birthday, so I'm taking the day off from arguing.

Good luck, arrbez. You've built a great team and it'll be an honor to go up against you no matter the result

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS

Good luck, arrbez. You've built a great team and it'll be an honor to go up against you no matter the result

Happy birthday, man. I hear MA Fleury is going to give you a nice birthday present tonight by giving up four goals.

And your esteemed opponent will also be cheering for the Habs, I'm pretty sure...right Arrbez?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Yeah, same to you. Have a good birthday dude! Depending which province you're in, 19 is a big one ;).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
And your esteemed opponent will also be cheering for the Habs, I'm pretty sure...right Arrbez?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Milan Novy vs. Alex Maltsev is an interesting parallel of international '70s nonphysical playmaking pivots placed on the 2nd line of all-time great teams in this draft.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Being that Monday is tomorrow, here's why I think Inglewood should win:

Bobby Hull is the best player in this series, but I think having Claude Provost is a big advantage. He can shadow Hull better than anyone, and he proved over and over again for a decade. In the 1965 Cup finals Hull scored just two goals in a 7 game series. Niether occurred at even strength or with Provost on the ice. Hull had scored 8 goals in 7 games in the previous series. Simply put, Provost has the proven ability to contain Bobby Hull. With this in mind, I think I have the advantage offensively in this series. Even without the Provost factor on Hull, I think my top-six is more potent offensively.

Defensively I feel our top pairs are fairly even, with Gadsby being the top defenseman, followed by Stevens, Gerard, and then Chara. After that though I feel my second pairing is a step up from Battle Creek's, as is my third.

Ah, I've gotta run. So that's it for now, maybe more tonight.

Cheers,

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Being that Monday is tomorrow, here's why I think Inglewood should win:

Bobby Hull is the best player in this series, but I think having Claude Provost is a big advantage. He can shadow Hull better than anyone, and he proved over and over again for a decade. In the 1965 Cup finals Hull scored just two goals in a 7 game series. Niether occurred at even strength or with Provost on the ice. Hull had scored 8 goals in 7 games in the previous series. Simply put, Provost has the proven ability to contain Bobby Hull. With this in mind, I think I have the advantage offensively in this series. Even without the Provost factor on Hull, I think my top-six is more potent offensively.

Defensively I feel our top pairs are fairly even, with Gadsby being the top defenseman, followed by Stevens, Gerard, and then Chara. After that though I feel my second pairing is a step up from Battle Creek's, as is my third.

Ah, I've gotta run. So that's it for now, maybe more tonight.

Cheers,

Alright. I too haven't had much time this weekend. I've finished writing two massive papers for school, but I'll see what I can churn out here.

Provost and Hull is definitely an interesting match-up. Oddly enough, I was very close to selecting Provost at one point in the draft, but I figured I could accumulate a solid 3rd line even without him (which I feel I did).

Hull did go against Bob Gainey in Round 1 of the ATD and prevailed, and he also went up against a very strong New Haven 3rd line in Round 2, but Provost and Hull have history. I'd also argue that Provost went against Mario Lemieux in Round 2, so as much as Provost wasn't Hull toughest challenge in the ATD, neither is Hull for Provost. My real argument here is that Hull can't ever be totally shut down. Provost may be the best at containing Hull, but I feel that Hull will power through and manage enough offense.

I think that raleh is right when he says that Bathgate's line needs to step up in order for Battle Creek to pull off the win here. Cook, Novy, and Bathgate are all very strong offensively, and can definitely create plays. If you have time to respond, I'd be interested to know who you plan to match up against them.

As for defense, I'll agree with you on the 1st pairing

I think our 2nd pairings are even, but I don't know very much about Dutton. I think Desjardins and Stapleton aren't too far apart. Stapleton has 3 2nd Team All-Star's, while Desjardins has 2. Schoenfeld was known as a pretty strong guy defensively - Pelletier calling him an "unheralded version of Rod Langway". Again, I don't know much about Dutton.

I think I have an advantage in goal for the first time in the ATD playoffs. I'd certainly rank Holecek above Lumley.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Two thoughts:

1) Who does Battle Creek plan on matching against each of Inglewood's top 2 lines? I assume Stevens is going to go out against Inglewood's 1st line and Geoffrion?

2) Am I remembering wrong, or does Pat Quinn not believe in matching lines? Claude Provost might be out there against Bobby Hull less often than we'd think.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
2) Am I remembering wrong, or does Pat Quinn not believe in matching lines? Claude Provost might be out there against Bobby Hull less often than we'd think.

You're right, Pat Quinn likes to balance his lines and roll them.

Hitchcock definitely likes to match lines, but he's usually gone power-on-power while making sure that his top line is defensively responsible.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Inglewood defeats Battle Creek deep into the first period of game 4 OT. Series star Bobby Hull is stoned in OT by Harry Lumley to preserve the sweep. Scott Stevens, the series' 2nd star, is also a pillar of strength for Battle Creek, posting a +2 rating in 4 games against some tough forwards. Geoffrion, Mikhailov and Bathgate all came up big at various times for Inglewood and are co-3rd stars.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Battle Creek was the last of the only half dozen teams not to engage in the hectic trading. A fine line-up.

Inglewood, on the other hand, traded really well, that one trade with raleh especially helped the squad.

The conference finals shall be interesting.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Battle Creek was the last of the only half dozen teams not to engage in the hectic trading. A fine line-up.

Inglewood, on the other hand, traded really well, that one trade with raleh especially helped the squad.

The conference finals shall be interesting.

That trade did help him. I offered the same deal to a few other gms who wouldn't take it before I contacted Arbezz though, so it's not like he just stumbled onto a sweet deal.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
A sweep was not how I wanted to go out (even if it ended in OT), but I like to think that everyone had Inglewood in 7, which ends up beign Inglewood in 4.

I made it far, further than I ever have in an ATD, and like VI said, without making a single trade. Glad I could participate, and I'll see some of you in the MLD, or ATD 2011, or even ATD 3 over at LC.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A sweep was not how I wanted to go out (even if it ended in OT), but I like to think that everyone had Inglewood in 7, which ends up beign Inglewood in 4.

I made it far, further than I ever have in an ATD, and like VI said, without making a single trade. Glad I could participate, and I'll see some of you in the MLD, or ATD 2011, or even ATD 3 over at LC.

For what it's worth, I did in fact have Inglewood in 7.

On the other hand, I'm probably a bigger fan of Jiri Holecek than most. If you did anything differently, I think you could have pimped him a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad