ATD 2010 Bios

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
New Haven Nighthawks, Center, Joe Nieuwendyk.
nieuwen.jpg

Position: C
Shoots: Left
Height: 6-2
Weight: 205 lbs.
Born: September 10, 1966 in Oshawa, Ontario

Awards and Achievements
3-Time Stanley Cup Winner (1989, 1999, 2003)
1-Time Conn Smythe Trophy Winner (1999)
Calder Memorial Trophy Winner (1988)

From Greatest Hockey Legends.com
Knowledgeable hockey fans know that Nieuwendyk was one of those guys who brought more to the rink than any statistic can quantify. That might seem odd to say given Nieuwy spent much of his career primarily as a top marksman, but he was a complete player. Aside from chronic back injuries, he had no real weakness in his game. And he brought a lot to the organization off the ice, both in terms of dressing room leadership and community involvement.

From Legends of Hockey.net
Known as an aggressive player in front of the net as well as a good passer, Nieuwendyk's style of play has caused him a number of health problems, he missed most of the 1998 playoff due to a knee injury. However, in 1999, his health and luck returned as Nieuwendyk scored 6 game-winning goals in the playoffs to lead the Stars to victory over Buffalo in the Stanley Cup finals.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
RW - Daniel Alfredsson (1995-Present)
AllStarDanielAlfredssonImage2.JPG

Accomplishments
* NHL 2nd All-Star Team (2006)
* NHL All-Star Game Participant (1996, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2008)
* Top-10 in Goals (2002, 2006, 2008)
* Top-10 in Assists (2006)
* Top-5 in Points (2006)
* Top-10 in Points (2004, 2006, 2008)
* International Pro Level: 74 Games, 26 Goals, 39 Assists, 65 Points
* Top-3 in Shorthanded Goals (2006, 2008)
* Since 2006: 357 Games, 295 Giveaways, 343 Takeaways
* Top-3 Voting for Selke (2006)
* Top-5 Voting for Lady Byng (2004, 2006)
* Senators Record Holder in Regular Season and Playoffs for GP, G, A and P.
* Olympic Gold (2006)
* World Championship Silver (1995, 2004)
* World Championship Bronze (1999, 2001)
* Ottawa Senators Captain (1999-Present)​

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Full credit to seventieslord for this great bio. Also, credit to BM67 for providing some new quotes to the bio.

Craig Ramsay, LW

- 5'10, 175 lbs.
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1975)
- Selke Trophy (1985)
- Selke Voting Results: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 7th
- LW All-Star Team Voting Results: 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th
- 27 Career SHG (29th all-time)
- 4th longest consecutive games streak of all-time
- From 1975 through 1980, Ramsay's line scored only 41 fewer goals than the French Connection line at even strength, but beat them 507-162 in +/-. In other words, they scored 41 fewer and allowed about 115 fewer.

Ramsay was in the top-7 in Selke voting in all 8 years of his career in which the award existed. It's likely that if the award existed during the first six years of his career as well, he would have received a couple Selkes or at least placed highly in voting (especially considering Gainey's career had not yet begun)

Ramsay also was a durable player who played in 776 consecutive games spanning a period of nearly a full decade. He managed to play a gritty defensive game, despite amassing only 201 minutes in penalties.

He was the master of defensive positioning, especially on the penalty kill, forechecking on opponents breakouts, pursuing to the right depth, and peeling off at the right time. Another one of his skills was that he could literally shadow an opponent up and down the ice. And he was said to be the best in the league at kicking the puck with his skates. This guy had all the tools AND the toolbox.

Originally Posted by loh.net
Once "Rammer" caught on full-time with the Buffalo Sabres in 1972-73, he played ten-straight seasons with perfect attendance. During that time he became one of the league's premiere defensive forwards.

...Together the two formed a defensive juggernaut that served as a dragnet aimed at neutralizing the stars of the NHL. After a few years of experimenting with the third member of their line, ***** **** settled in to form a trio that not only slowed the opposition to a crawl but generated high levels of offense at the same time.

In 1983, Ramsay was finally knocked off stride for a brief time when he broke a bone in his foot, thus ending his iron-man run of 776 consecutive games played. He recovered, however, and continued to serve the Sabres until 1985 when he was offered a coaching position with the team. He accepted the job, thus ending his 14-year run with the club.

As a fitting honour to close out his career, Ramsay was awarded the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the league's best defensive forward in 1985.

Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
...he was a smart player who worked hard. He was an intense competitor who did a lot of hard work that went unnoticed by the average fan but to his teammates he was invaluable. Craig showed up night after night shutting down the opposition. You didn't see Ramsay make many mistakes... He didn't provide a lot of sizzle or fanfare, but what he did provide will forever rank him among the top players in Buffalo hockey history.

Ramsay also customarily ranked high on the Sabres' plus-minus list, an extraordinary accomplishment for a player who not only killed penalties, but spent his career becoming closely acquainted with names such as Dionne, LaFleur, Bossy and Gretzky-Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame

"Killing a penalty is mostly a matter of position. That and a lot of hard skating." - Craig Ramsay

"The Seventies - Best Shadow - Craig Ramsay was nicknamed "Boris" by his peers because he played hockey like one of the many well-drilled Russian stars. Ramsay was a valuable part of the Buffalo Sabres into the 1980s, a master when it came to checking or positional play" - Ultimate Hockey

"
Craig Ramsay is one of the most underrated players in the league. Game in and game out, he's one of our best, and I'd miss him more than anyone else on the team." - ****, Sabres GM

"He's just about the perfect hockey player. He can kill penalties, nullify the other guys' best right wingers and get you a steady 20 to 25 goals a year besides. And on top of all that, he never says boo." - ****, Sabres GM

"Hey, anybody would be happy to have a guy who does as thorough a checking job as Ramsay does, makes no mistakes, and gets you more than 20 goals a year for nine consecutive years." - Scotty Bowman, Sabres GM

Originally Posted by Heaven & Hell In the NHL
that year we had ***, Ramsay, and Gare playing against the best opposition in the NHL, and they had the best +/- record on the team. There is no way you can be a loser under those circumstances.

I didn't always get along with Ramsay, either, but I would never take anything away from him as a man who would stand up for teammates in trouble on the ice, as well as being a damn good hockey player.

At the end of every season I ask the people most concerned to evaluate the players and the team. So when we were bounced from the playoffs, I got reports from Allan Stanley, ****, and *****. Stanley's, which was handwritten, showed his frustration with what he found in Buffalo.

"There are too many players here who think work, body contact, and aggressive play are dirty words and shouldn't be used. The players seem very complacent and talk tired all the time."... I'm not going to run down his entire list of comments on individuals. A few will do. On most players, he used from 30 to 50 words. Only two rated his shortest report: "100%." They were Craig Ramsay and ***.

Originally Posted by Bernie Parent's 1975 book:
The French connection line is tough to stop for 60 minutes. But people often overlook their other players, guys like (names a bunch of guys including Ramsay). A lot of people thought Ramsay's line was Buffalo's best in the playoffs, with Ramsay their club's top Conn Smythe Trophy candidate.

Originally Posted by Then Perreault Said To Rico...
*** and Craig Ramsay were about as good a regular pair of penalty killers as ever played the game, particularly when they were also the Sabres' second-best offensive line and played a regular shift as well as killing off shorthanded situations. They made it an art as well as a science, often turning tables on the opposition, scoring instead of being scored on.

Originally Posted by ****
Partly when Rammer and I played on the same line, we got to know eachother's little nuances and where eachother would be at certain times. Back in those days when the puck was shot in, I was the bigger player and so I wanted to go in and bring the puck away. Rammer was a little niftier and quicker in the forecheck, so he'd do that and I'd do the other part... I knew Rammer. He was going to be sneaking out here, and so I'm going to throw it out there, and he's there.

Originally Posted by The Hockey Compendium, 1987
Ramsay perrennially finished second to Gainey in Selke voting. It was Ramsay, a far less compelling player to watch but a far more effective one on the ice, who deserved this trophy...

...The French Connection captured the headlines, but the checking line of ***, Ramsay, and Gare was Buffalo's bread and butter...

Originally Posted by Toronto Star Coaches' Polls
CRAIG RAMSAY

Best checker 4th 1976
Best defensive forward 3rd 1979
Best defensive forward 2nd 1984
Best penalty killer T-1st 1974
Best penalty killer 3rd 1976
Best penalty killer 2nd 1979

An example of a smart play only a player like Ramsay would make:

In the fifth minute of OT, Montreal had survived a tripping penalty to Bob Gainey and was starting to come on again. There was a faceoff in our end. ***, over-eager, was waved out. I got ready to pull my hat over my eyes. Craig Ramsay was waved in to take the faceoff against Lemaire, one of the best in the business. Ramsay figured, probably correctly, that he couldn't outdraw Lemaire, so he tried something. He let Lemaire win the draw but whipped his stick around behind him in an attempt to get it on the puck - and did. He went around Lemaire like a rocket, pushing the puck in front of him. *** and Gare broke with him. The Montreal defense opened a little to play the wings so Ramsay headed for the space between them. Robinson recovered almost in time and got a hip on Ramsay, but Ramsay held Robinson off with one hand and with the other shoved the puck to Gare. Gare pushed Henri Richard aside, took the pass and shot without breaking stride. It was in at 4:22 of OT. We had won.

Ramsay and Gainey: A quick numerical analysis

Gainey is widely considered the greatest defensive forward of all-time, but to be that, he would have to at least be the best of his era. There is compelling evidence that Ramsay was actually better.

- Ramsay's +/- totals were almost always 1st or 2nd on his team (8 straight seasons in the top-3 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st, and 1st ). Gainey's were all over the place (last, 11th, 12th, 12th, 17th, 15th, second last, 7th, 12th, 15th, 2nd, 7th, 6th, 15th, 8th, and 13th on the Habs. Carbonneau finished ahead of Gainey in all but one of the years they played together. In the year Gainey was 2nd-last in Habs' +/- with a -2 on a team that scored 88 more goals than it allowed, they still awarded him the Selke!

- Ramsay ended up with a career +328 to Gainey's +196. As you know, +/- is very dependent on team factors, the largest one being simply how good your team is. Considering that Ramsay was on an above-average Buffalo team and Gainey was on the powerhouse Habs, it is outstanding that Ramsay can top his +/-, let alone by such a wide margin. However, +/- is an offensive and defensive statistic (among other things) so Ramsay's higher +/- could be because his offensive contributions were far greater than Gainey's (.63 points per game vs. .43) so let's isolate just the defensive numbers.

- Ramsay allowed only 567 ES/SH goals against in his 1070-game career. (0.53/game). Gainey, by comparison, allowed 648 in 1160 games. (0.56/game) And, during the 12 years they were in the league together, Gainey's Habs had 136 more points than Ramsay's Sabres - or about 11 more per season on average. They scored 367 more goals than the Sabres (31 per season) and allowed 324 fewer (27 per season). If Gainey was better than Ramsay, and had better teammates on the ice with him, shouldn't he easily have fewer GA per game than Ramsay? Why doesn't he? Did they play in different eras? Was he getting more ice time, leading to more GA? Was his role different from Ramsay's? I think not.

- Gainey is also said to be a better penalty killer. On the surface, the numbers support this. He allowed .30 PPG per game throughout his career, and Ramsay allowed .34. But was he that much better on the PK? Both players were the focal points of their teams' PK units, correct? Well, during these 12 seasons, Montreal's PK% rank averaged 6.2 in the NHL, while Buffalo's average rank was 3.3. With Ramsay, they finished out of the top-6 just once! So if Buffalo was killing penalties with greater efficiency than Montreal, and we know that most players on Montreal were better than most players on Buffalo (hence their place in the standings and cup totals) what does that say about the penalty killers on each team? And if Buffalo was killing penalties with greater efficiency than Montreal, why does Ramsay have a career total PPGA/GP higher than Gainey's? Simple. Over this 12-year period, Buffalo was shorthanded 161 more times than the Habs were in these 12 years. The goals against figures also show that Ramsay killed a much higher percentage of Buffalo's penalties than Gainey did for Montreal (59% to 45%) Normalize their PPGA/GP to reflect the time they each spent killing penalties, and Gainey's apparent 12% PK advantage based on PPGA/GP turns into a 16% advantage for Ramsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
Strange how Montreal had both these dominant checkers, a better defense and better goaltending, but still had a lesser PK than Buffalo.

During Ramsay's career Buffalo had a 82.6 PK% and it was 83.0% while he and his partner were in Buffalo. During Gainey's career Montreal had a 81.4% PK and 82.9% while Gainey his partner were in Montreal.

Selke voting 77-78 to 84-85
Bob Gainey 861 (1st: 4; 2nd: 1 3rd: 0)
Craig Ramsay 614 (1st: 1; 2nd: 3; 3rd: 2)

80-81 to 84-85 Ramsay had more Selke votes than Gainey.

+/-
Ramsay +328 (never a minus in 14 years)
Gainey +196 (twice a minus player)

Offense
Ramsay 0.24 goals/game; 0.39 assists/game; 0.63 points/game
Gainey 0.21 goals/game; 0.23 assists/game; 0.43 points/game

Ramsay had 8 straight years with more points than Gainey ever had

Originally Posted by overpass
I'm not even sure that Gainey was the best checking LW of the 70s. Craig Ramsay looks to have put up better results. Even if we look at raw +/- and don't adjust for Gainey's teammates, Ramsay's career +/- of +328 is well above Gainey's +196. Gainey and Ramsay both played #1 unit PK minutes, and rarely played on the PP. During the years 1976-82, both were in their prime, playing big PK minutes. Montreal had the best PK record in 1977 and 1979, and Buffalo was the best in 1978 and 1981... I don't think Gainey is clearly the best checking LW of his era, let alone the best checking forward of all time.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
“Terrible†Ted Green, D

Joe Pelletier said:
Green was one of the toughest players ever in league history.

- NHL Second All-Star Team (1969)

- 3rd in Norris voting in 1969 (behind Bobby Orr and Tim Horton)

- 10th in Norris voting in 1967

- Stanley Cup Championship as a player on the Boston Bruins (1972)

- Avco Cup Championship (WHA) as captain of the Hartford Whalers (1973)

- Two Avco Cup Championships with the Winnipeg Jets (1976, 1978)

- Right handed shot

- While he’s best known as a nasty, stay at home guy, he finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th in points among defensemen.

- Stanley Cup Championships as Assistant Coach (1984, 1985, 1987, 1988) Co-Coach (1990) of the Edmonton Oilers show that he had a mind for the game.

Stan Fischler said:
Pound for pound, Ted Green was the toughest of the Post-World War II Bruins and – with the exception of Eddie Shore – the meanest player to ever don the black, gold, and white.

Like the immortal Shore, Green would do anything to win a hockey game.

Ted Green said:
I had one philosophy… and that was this – the corners were mine. Any man who tried to take a corner away from me was stealing from me. I get mad when a man tries to steal from me.

Ted Green said:
One thing in my favor – when you played the way I did then – was reputation. Players on the other teams knew that I was going to get them. They had to be thinking about it. I got a lesson from (Leo) Boivin. He’d crack an arm when they tried to get around him. That was my style.

Stan Fischler said:
When the term “Bobby Orr, and the Big, Bad Bruins' was heard, Ted Green was still regarded as the baddest of the bad. Yet the respect with which he was held by teammates had reached such a high level that Teddy wore the captain’s ‘C’ on his jersey and was considered the team leader both on and off the ice.

-from Boston Bruins: Greatest Moments and Players by Stan Fischler

legendsofhockey said:
In Green, the Bruins got a solid enforcer who provided the club with crease-clearing spine and leadership during the lean years of the early sixties. He put in eight seasons in Boston, watching the team accumulate an increasing number of Stanley Cup pieces when he suffered one of the more serious injuries in NHL history. Green's skull was fractured as the result of a stick-swinging duel with Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues during a pre-season match in 1969. Green was left paralyzed and close to death with no expectations of ever resuming his career on ice. But a year of convalescence and conditioning brought on an impressive recovery. With a metal plate in his head, Green returned to the Bruins line-up to finally savor a Stanley Cup victory in 1972, having missed the first win in 1970.

Joe Pelletier said:
Though he was brought in initially for his physicality and intimidation, Green developed into a good NHLer through sheer determination. A monster in his own zone, Green kept the other team honest. A hard hitting and willing fighter with a short fuse, Green became an integral part of the Bruins. An excellent shot blocker, Green saw time as a forward on penalty kills. His puck skills improved to the point where in 1969 he was named to the NHL Second All Star team when scored 8 goals and 46 points, a far cry from his 11 point rookie season.
…
Green opened the 1961-62 season in Boston and led the team with 116 PIM. He gained instant respect around the league that season, dropping the gloves with any and all comers, including a memorable fight with Frank Mahovlich in which Green broke his hand. Green playing hurt would quickly become a regular occurrence. Never a true offensive threat, Green developed into a decent d-man with the puck. He became very good at making the first pass to clear the zone, and his assist totals eventually reached the mid- 30s on a consistent basis. He scored a career high 8 goals on 2 occasions.

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Known for his soft hands and outstanding passing ability, hetallied at least 60 points in each of his eight seasons with the Sabres-philhousleyfoundation.com

The Toronto St.Pats are happy to select, one of the greatest offensive defensemen ever..

PHIL HOUSLEY!

Awards and Achievements
1 x Second Team All-Star(1992)
1 x Stanley Cup Fianlist (1998)
1 x Olympic Silver MEdalist
7 x NHL All-Star game participant (1984, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000)

Top 20's Amongst defencemen
Goals Amongst defensemen- 6th(1983), 3rd(1984)*, 11th(1985), 13th(1986), 3rd(1987), 1st(1988), 2nd(1989), 4th(1990), 4th(1991), 1st(1992), 9th(1993), 12th(1995), 3rd(1996), 14th(1996), 12th(1999), 12th(2000), 6th(2002)

Assists Amongst defensemen- 12th(1983), 6th(1984)*, 5th(1985), 10th(1986), 9th(1987), 19th(1988), 13th(1989), 4th(1990), 6th(1991), 2nd(1992), 1st(1993), 2nd(1995), 6th(1996), 2nd(1999), 3rd(2000), 17th(2002)

Points amongst defensemen- 9th(1983), 4th(1984)*, 5th(1985), 13th(1986), 5th(1987), 6th(1988), 6th(1989), 4th(1990), 5th(1991), 2nd(1992), 1st(1993), 2nd(1995), 5th(1996), 18th(1997), 6th(1999), 4th(2000)

Playoff Goals Amongst defensemen- 10th(1983), 5th(1985)

Playoff Assists Amongst defensemen- 18th(1983), 10th(1993), 4th(1995)

Playoff Points Amongst defensemen- 15th(1983), 14th (1993), 8th(1995)

*Although it looks as if Housley scored 31 goals to tie with Bourque for 2nd this year, his loh bio states that Housley played some time at forward, where some goals were credited (less than 29, it seems). Since the next highest goalscorer amongst defenceman has 23 goals, I think it's safe to say Housley was 3rd this season.

I am not sure how these affected his assist and points amongst defenceman, so I asterisk where he places assuming all of his assists and points were as a defenceman- but he likely placed near these asterisks ranks anyway.

Note on Housley's playoffs: Housley only got to play more than 8 games in a single playoff twice his his career: His rookie season with the Sabres and his finalist one with the Capitals. This hurt his raw totals, but he scored at a high rate a number of years where he was near, at, or above a PPG pace, which would have seen him get better scoring totals in the playoffs had his team played longer.

Top 10's amongst all skaters

Assists- 10th(1992), 7th(1993), 10th(1995)

Biography
Phil Housley's career got off to a quick start in his career, drafted 6th overall out of high school and then making the jump to the NHL later that year. This start did not hinder Housley however, and he put up an oustanding 66 points in his rookie year and finishes runner-up for the calder trophy.

Housley would then blaze off on an incredible offensive run of dominance that decade. In a decade that featured the likes of Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque, Housley held his own offensively, and consistently ranked amongst the highest scoring defencemen while also setting records amongst Sabres defencemen.

Housley would not remain with the Sabres however, and would be traded in 1990 to the Winnipeg Jets, where he would perhaps shine even brighter, leading them offensively and finally earning an all-star team for his offensive brilliance in 1992 while again setting franchise records for his club.

From then on, though, Housley would become a bit of a journeyman despite putting up some fantastic numbers. He would be traded to the St.Louis Blues, then the Calgary Flames, then the New Jersey Devils. He would then become a UFA and sign with the Washington Capitals, and helping them in their run to the finals. He would then return to Calgary, and produce well for them, leading them in assists one year.

Housley would then be claimed by the Chicago Blackhawks. He represented the USA at Salt Lake and did quite well, winning a silver medal. He would then be acquired by the Maple Leafs at the 2003 trade deadline, and following that season become a UFA, and retire in Januray of 2004.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
“Nicknamed “The Chicoutimi Cucumber†for his unflappable calm under fire, Georges Vézina, hockey’s original superstar goaltender…Vézina’s standout play, beginning in an era when goaltenders were forbidden to drop to the ice at the risk of a penalty, was instrumental in the Canadiens’ first Stanley Cup Championship…By the time the NHL began operations in the fall of 1917, the quiet, seemingly easy-going Vézina had established himself as the preeminent goaltender of his time.†– ourhistory.canadiens.com

“One of the elite goaltenders in the annals of NHL history, Georges Vezina was a key figure in the early history of the Montreal Canadiens franchise. His outstanding play served as a model for stand-up goalies in the future… Vezina stood out in the Canadiens' net even though he played in a league that was very offensive-minded and on a team that initially struggled…In 1914 he led the Canadiens to a first-place finish in the NHA standings, though they lost the league championship series that year to the Stanley Cup-winning Toronto Blueshirts. Two years later, his superior netminding skills enabled Montreal to win another NHA regular-season crown and the first Stanley Cup triumph in the club's history…Despite Vezina's heroics, Montreal lost the sacred silverware to the powerful Seattle Metropolitans…Vezina's heroics were a vital component of the Canadiens' second Stanley Cup championship in 1924. He stymied the Ottawa Senators in the NHL playoffs before helping Montreal overcome the challenges of Vancouver and Calgary of the PCHA and the Western Canada Hockey League respectively.†– Legends of Hockey

“Vezina's modesty was just one of the marks of his greatness. He was a superb sportsman, neither boastful in victory nor complaining in defeat. Although his spoken English was poor and conversational skills were modest, his presence commanded respect. He was the spiritual leader of the original Flying Frenchmen.

Vezina's coolness on the ice earned him the handle "The Chicoutimi Cucumber." He stood erect in the cage and was blessed with lightning-quick reflexes and a knack for stickhandling uncommon among the keepers of his day. When the pressure around Vezina's net intensified, he would often deflect the puck over the glass. And because he played on offensively oriented clubs, it was not uncommon to see him playing keep-away with an enemy checker until a teammate came to his aid.†– Ultimate Hockey

“Vezina seemed to onlookers to be deflecting pucks with the grace and insouciance of a symphony conductor†– One Hunder and One Years of Hockey

â€Vezina was an outstanding final line of defence for the bleu, blanc, rouge. He led the Canadiens to a first-place finish in 1917-18, and had the fewest goals against once again.†– Legends of Hockey

“Vezina was said to be instrumental in the Canadiens very first Stanley Cup championship.†– Greatest Hockey Legends

“Georges Vezina turned in some great performances behind teams not known for their defensive abilities.†– Ultimate Hockey

“Vezina was a pale, narrow-featured fellow, almost frail-looking, yet remarkably good with his stick. He'd pick off more shots with it than he did with his glove. He stood upright in the net and scarcely ever left his feet; he simply played all his shots in a standing position. He always wore a toque -- a small, knitted hat with no brim in Montreal colours -- bleu, blanc et rouge. I also remember him as the coolest man I ever saw, absolutely imperturbable.†– Frank Boucher

“In the realm of extraordinary goaltenders through the NHL's long history, it is difficult to judge where Georges Vezina would rank. Hockey was a different game during Vezina's era - goaltenders were forbiddeen to drop to the ice to stop shots. Nevertheless, it is fair to make the claim that he is among the greatest the game has ever known.†– Legends of Hockey

“Vézina collapsed in the dressing room but was revived and went back out for the second stanza. He collapsed once more and left the game, never to don his skates again.†– ourhistory.canadiens.com

“In the arena, all was silent as the limp form of the greatest of goalies was carried slowly from the ice.†– An unknown journalist

With our 10th round selection, McGuire’s Monsters are relieved to get a goalie who should give us solid goaltending in the regular season as well as the play-offs. He put up some impressive totals while playing on a team not known for defensive expertise. Please welcome The Chicoutimi Cucumber….

Georges Vezina!!!

Awards and Accomplishments:
Inaugural Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame

2 x Stanley Cup Champion (1916, 1924)
6 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1914, 1916, 1917, 1919, 1924, 1925)
5 x NHA Champion (1916, 1917, 1919, 1924, 1925)

6 x Retro Vezina Winner (1911, 1912, 1914, 1918, 1924, 1925)

Ranked #75 on The Hockey News’ list of 100 Greatest Hockey Players.

Ultimate Hockey’s “Best Goaltender†of the 1910s.

Numbers:
Goals Against Average – 1st(1911), 1st(1912), 1st(1914), 1st(1918), 1st(1924), 1st(1925), 2nd(1913), 2nd(1915), 2nd(1916), 2nd(1917), 2nd(1919), 2nd(1922), 2nd(1923)

Consolidated GAA – 1st(1911), 1st(1912), 1st(1914), 1st(1924), 1st(1925), 2nd(1918), 3rd(1916), 3rd(1917), 3rd(1922), 3rd(1923)

Play-off Results:
1914 – lost to Hap Holmes
1917 – beat Clint Benedict
1918 – lost to Hap Holmes
1919 – beat Clint Benedict
1923 – lost to Clint Benedict
1924 – beat Clint Benedict
1925 – beat undrafted goalie

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
New Haven Nighthawks, Winger, Tony Leswick.
leswick.png

Position: W
Shoots: Right
Height: 5-7
Weight: 160 lbs.
Born: March 17, 1923 in Humboldt, Saskatchewan
Died: July 1, 2001

Awards and Achievements
3-Time Stanley Cup Winner (1952, 1954, 1955)
1-Time NHL 2nd Team All-Star (1950)

Greatest Hockey Legends.com
Few people remember Tony Leswick as one of the top players of his era. Never a prolific scorer, Tony was nonetheless one of the best players in the NHL in the late 1940s and throughout the 1950s.

Nicknamed "Tough Tony" and "Mighty Mouse," Leswick quickly developed a reputation as a relentless checker, a tough as nails body checker, and perhaps the NHL's all time ultimate pest.

Although he did chip in offensively while in New York, including 27 and 24 goal seasons, Tony was best known for shadowing the league's top players. Perhaps his favorite target was Montreal's fiery Rocket Richard.A

Leswick knew how to get under Richard's skin. Richard, who had a short fuse to start with, would often blow up at Leswick and assaulted him. Often Leswick would take Richard's shot and write it off as "taking one for the team." Richard would be banished to the penalty box while the Rangers would go on the powerplay. Other times Leswick was more than willing to answer Richard's battle cry, and the two would brawl it out. Both players were banished to the box, which of course would have to be a small victory for the Rangers.

The only player perhaps more dangerous to tick off was Gordie Howe - not only arguably the greatest player of all time, but perhaps the greatest fighter of all time too. Leswick fearlessly needled Mr. Hockey with great success. Like Richard, no one had as much success keeping Howe off of his game as Leswick did.

Legends of Hockey.net
Tony Leswick was a skilled forward who could play both wings during his twelve years in the league. He was a gritty competitor despite his 5'7" size and notched two 20-goal seasons. His skill and savvy helped the Wings win the Stanley Cup in 1952, 1954, and 1955.

Much thanks to seventieslord for the remaining quotes.

Originally Posted by The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 3
Among the outstanding players who possessed great skill as skaters, stickhandlers and backcheckers but were not likely candidates for the Lady Byng trophy, Tony Leswick is an example. This little player was rated as one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He played either wing and was a great penalty killer. He was a fast skater and full of hustle and spirit. His other attributes were anathema to the opposition. He kept up a constant chatter of deprecatory remarks concerning the antecedents or ability of opposing wings, interspersed with elbow action or buttends to goad them into penalties. This cost him time in the penalty box but he was usually successful in having one of the opposition stars for company... Jack Adams had observed his fine checking and scrappy play, and made a deal to get him... Retired in 1958. Some of his opponents must have sighed with relief at his departure.

Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Anthony Leswick proved himself as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL. Although a natural left-flanker, he could play both sides and was a bullish penalty killer - that is, if he wasn't in the box himself. He was a swift, strong skater who always hustled. He had a knack for getting his team going with a big hit on an opposing player... He was a decent stickhandler as well as a heads-up passer. Pound-for-pound, #8 was one of the best fighters in the league and was not one to shy away from a punching bee. "I did a little bit of fighting," he once confessed. "I could take care of myself. I wasn't afraid."

It was in shadowing the league's best players, however, that Leswick earned his stripes... some say Adams traded for Leswick so his boy, Gordie Howe, would not have to put up with the little NY Ranger pest anymore. Leswick's favourite target was Maurice Richard. Leswick would be all over the Rocket for an entire game, mixing a shower of insults with a flurry of butt-ends and slashes. Leswick was especially skilled at goading his targets into penalties. Referee Bill Chadwick was once quoted as saying that Leswick "could bring out the worst in a saint!"

Originally Posted by What It Means To Be a Red Wing: Metro Prystai
Marty Pavelich and Tony Leswick killed a lot of penalties together. Those guys checked the hell out of Montreal in 1952.

Originally Posted by Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide OF Everyone Who Has Ever Played In the NHL
He was a tough customer who had lengthy and frequent battles with, among others, Maurice Richard. Despite his size and style of play, he missed exactly 2 games in his 11 full seasons in the NHL. He hit hard and took penalties, but he was also expert as a penalty killer. He was a goal scorer, passer, and hero all rolled into one.

Originally Posted by The Canadian Hockey Atlas
Once Bodychecked Maurice Richard so hard that the Montreal Canadiens forward brought down the protective shield above the boards.

Originally Posted by Gordie: A Hockey Legend
A quick, mouthy, frenetic hustler who could check, score, and fight, and who fit in ideally on the close-checking second line... a money player who always outdid himself in the playoffs...

One of the highlights of game 5, was the fighting effort of little Tony Leswick. At one point, Leswick was dumped in the corner by rugged Butch Bouchard; as he was scrambling to his feet, Leswick had his legs pulled out from under him by Jean Beliveau; falling flat on his face, Leswick leaped to his feet yet again, literally hopping mad, and swung his stick at Beliveau, who swung his own right back, then punched Leswick hard in the face. Undeterred, Leswick took possession and roared back with a furious rush on goal; he was only foiled at the last moment by ******'s great save.

Originally Posted by Open Ice: The Tim Horton Story
Tony Leswick used to know how to trip Tim without getting a penalty when he was winding up. He used to hit Tim right between the top of the skate and the bottom of the shinpad, and dump him. It would infuriate him, and one day Tim couldn't take it any longer. They got in a battle and Tim had both his knees on Tony's arms, pinning him to the ice."

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Ehrhardt Henry Heller

280.jpg

Accomplishments:

2x Stanley Cup (1933, 1940)
NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1941)
Top 10 in Assists (1939 (7))
2x Top 3 in D Scoring (1939, 1944)
Served as Rangers' Captain 1942-43 to 1944-45
Originally a right wing, Heller shifted to defense early in his pro career

Quotes:

HHOF said:
Heller's consistent play and three playoff goals won accolades from his coaches. It was no surprise that he was back again the following season. In fact, Heller played fifteen consecutive seasons with the New York Rangers in an era when only one other player (Dit Clapper) played in more consecutive seasons in the NHL. Heller consistently played between 35 and 50 games a season, at that time a full schedule.

Joe Pelletier said:
Though the red-haired Heller was said to be a very personable character off the ice, on the ice he was a quiet, steady defenseman who excelled at keeping opposition forwards outside of the slot and towards the perimeter. He was said to have incredible upper body strength, allowing him to quickly pin his opponent and by doing so avoiding many penalties. He was tough too, often training with local boxers at a local gym.

Heller was a great skater, and not afraid to join or even lead the rush from time to time. His most famous goal came in a playoff game against Montreal very early in his career. He dashed from one end of the rink to the other to score the game's only goal.

Emile Francis said:
Ott was a hockey player, simple as that. He was as tough as nails, and not an ounce of fat on him. What an athlete. It seemed like the guy played forever, and at such a high level. He was amazing

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
LW/C Keith Tkachuk

Tkachuk’s Teammate in St. Louis said:
He's got a big (posterior) on him. Not many goalies can see around it.

Tkachuk gets a bad rap now because it’s been 10 years since he was a true impact player.

It’s easy to forget how good he was in his prime. Here’s an excerpt of an article from the late 90s ranking the top left wings in the league at the time. It ranks Tkachuk 3rd, behind John Leclair and Paul Kariya, and ahead of Brendan Shanahan.

The article was written right after Tkachuk led the league in goals (with his second straight 50 goal season), and shortly after he helped lead the US to victory over the heavily favored Canadians in the Best of 3 finals in the 1996 World Cup – the biggest victory the US has ever had in best-on-best competition. So it was written at the height of his prime.

At 6'2, 210 pounds, Tkachuk is the prototypical power forward. He plays a bruising, physical game and doesn't back down from any challengers. He was one of only two NHLers to lead his team in both scoring and penalty minutes, compiling a substantial 228 minutes in the box. Tkachuk can change the flow of a game with his aggressive play. He proved it at the World Cup when he beat the hell out of (Canadian player everyone hates) in the opening minutes of a preliminary round matchup with Team Canada. The fight got him the gate, but he sent a message to the favored Canadians that the younger American squad wasn't about to be intimidated. Without that fight, and what it represented, it's hard to believe the US would have won the tournament. Only a great player would be capable of seizing the moment and performing such a heroic action. That fight is when Tkachuk became a great player.

But Tkachuk has plenty of flash to go with his bash. Just when defenses prepare to get run over or beaten to a pulp, Tkachuk switches gears and waltzes around them with his speed and stickhandling. He has the best hands of any of the league's big men and can put on the ritz while in full flight. His soft touch also shines through in front of the net, where he's the absolute best at picking shots out of the air. There's just nothing the guy can't do.

http://www.lcshockey.com/issues/77/77lwing.asp

Achievments:

-2nd Team All-Star in 1995
-"3rd Team All-Star" in 1996
-"3rd Team All-Star" in 1997
-2nd Team All-Star in 1998

-NHL All Star game in 97, 98, 99, 04, 09
-Captain of Winnipeg/Phoenix from 93-01
-World Cup of Hockey Champion in 1996 (assistant captain)

Stats:

-Led the NHL in goals and even strength goals in 1997
-5 Times Top 10 in goals (1, 6, 7, 7, 10)
-7 Times Top 10 in powerplay goals (2, 2, 5, 7, 8, 8, 10)
-4 times Top 15 in points (11, 12, 13, 15)

Goals from 1994-2004 (the era between the lockouts)
1. Jaromir Jagr 412
2. Peter Bondra 376
3. Keith Tkachuk 359
4. Teemu Selanne 351
5. John Leclair 334
6. Brendan Shanahan 334
7. Mats Sundin 330
8. Brett Hull 328
9. Joe Sakic 327
10. (Undrafted) 318

Points from 1994-2004 (the era between the lockouts)
1. Jaromir Jagr 990
2. Joe Sakic 838
3. Teemu Selanne 765
4. Mats Sundin 755
5. Peter Forsberg 741
6. Ron Francis 719
7. Paul Kariya 705
8. Mike Modano 704
9. Keith Tkachuk 692
10. Mark Recchi 692

legendsofhockey said:
best known around league arenas as a power forward and it's no surprise that his hero as a kid was the Bruins' Cam Neely

Tkachuk had a reputation as a big game player and a great leader during his prime.. He was a power forward, and like so many of them, he hit his prime early and then declined, most likely do to all the punishment he took because of his style of play. His last 40 goal regular season was in 1998. From 98-00, he started to struggle with injuries, playing 69, 68, and 50 games.

From 1992-98 (Tkachuk’s first 7 years in the league):

He scored 236 goals in 458 regular season games for .52 goals per game.
He scored 17 playoff goals in 32 playoff games for .53 goals per game.

Tkachuk’s goal scoring did not decrease in the playoffs for the first 7 years of his career.

His career playoff numbers look awful, but they are dragged down by his play after he was already starting to decline.

If you need more detailed description of some of Tkachuk’s playoff games, here are some, courtesy of shawnmullen : http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=13730353&postcount=447

In addition, Tkachuk was one of the biggest factor’s in the US’s win in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.

Sports Illustrated said:
he scored five goals in last year's World Cup, including two game-winners, and racked up 44 penalty minutes, 23 more than any other player...in the preliminary round game against Canada, Tkachuk, set the tempo for the matchup by squaring off against and breaking the nose of then-Canada team member (guy everyone hates)...he was ejected in Game 3 of the final series with the Maple Leaf after a brawl...head coach XXX and general manager Lou Lamoriello had counted on Tkachuk playing a key leadership role with his physical play, selecting him as an assistant captain for the World Cup team..."They've shown a lot of confidence in my leadership abilities and it's just great to put on a USA sweater," said Tkachuk. "It means a lot to play for your country. It was a great experience and I did enjoy the World Cup. I enjoyed my time with those guys -- it was excellent. It was great exposure for hockey and everyone involved"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/events/1998/nagano/athletes/569.htm

Tkachuk admittedly can’t be relied on as a clutch scorer in an all-time sense, but he’s far from the all-time choker he’s made out to be. His bad playoff performances were mainly in the second half of his career (when he was also past his regular season prime), so we remember them more.

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Kevin Hugh Lowe

000305340.jpg

Nickname: Vish
Height: 6'2''
Weight: 200 lbs
Position: Defense
Date of Birth: April 15, 1959
Place of Birth: Lachute , Quebec, Canada

Stanley Cup Champion (1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1994)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1983)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993)
Team Captain (1991-1992)
World Championships (1982)
Canada Cup (1984)
Bud Man of the Year Award (1990)
King Clancy Memorial Trophy (1990)

Top-10 +/- among defenseman (5th, 5th, 8th, 8th, 10th)

Top-10 Playoff+/- (6th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring among defenseman (5th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring among defenseman (3rd)
Top-10 Playoff Assist among defenseman (6th, 9th)
Top-10 Playoff +/- among defenseman (4th)

Top-10 Norris Nomination (5th, 8th, 8th, 10th)

- Named best shot-blocker of the 1980's by Ultimate Hockey
- Lowe is the younger brother of the Edmonton Oilers Head Medical trainer Ken Lowe and the father of Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman Keegan Lowe
- In 1988, he married double bronze Canadian Olympic skier Karen Percy
- Lowe was the first-ever Anglo captain of the Quebec Remparts
- Lowe was selected on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League second All-Star Team in 1978 and 1979
- He was selected by the Edmonton Oilers 21st overall in the 1979 NHL Entry Draft
- On October 1979 in Chicago, Lowe scored first regular season goal in Edmonton Oiler NHL history; a powerplay goal, assisted by Brett Callighen and Wayne Gretzky
- In 1982, 1987 and 1988, the Oilers named Lowe their defenceman of the year
- On December 11th 1992, Lowe was traded to the New York Rangers for Roman Oksiuta and New York 3rd round pick in the 1993 Entry Draft
- On September 28th 1996, Lowe signed as a free agent by Edmonton
- Lowe holds the Edmonton Oilers record for most regular season (1037) and playoff games (172) played as an Oiler
- In the 1998-99 season, Lowe returned to Edmonton as an assistant to head coach Ron Low. The next summer, he succeeded the departed Low as the Oilers' head coach
- On June 9, 2000, Lowe was named the Oilers' general manager
- Kevin Lowe was on Team Canada management team for entries at the 2002 and 2006 Olympics and the 2004 World Cup
- In 2005, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League created the Kevin Lowe Trophy, awarded annually to the player in the QMJHL judged to be the best defensive defenceman

HHOF said:
Defenceman Kevin Lowe was a pillar in the building of the Edmonton Oilers into a Stanley Cup champion. He was a solid positional player in his own zone, a team leader, and an astute playmaker on offense. His leadership on and off the ice was a major component of Cup championships in both Edmonton and New York.

Beginning in 1979-80, Lowe's solid two-way play and articulate leadership in the dressing room was a factor in the team's success for 13 years. His mobility, defensive hockey sense, and puck handling skills made him an asset on a club that won five Stanley Cups in seven years beginning in 1983-84.

His savvy and leadership were important to the club.

The veteran rearguard was traded to the New York Rangers in December 1992. His steady work was a major factor in the team's first Stanley Cup win in 54 years, in 1994.

Who's Who in Hockey said:
A quintessential defensive defenseman of the 1980's and early 1990's Edmonton Oilers. It was Lowe's job not only to bring up the rear, but to protect it. Kevin displayed consumate ability and class for five Stanley Cup-winning teams

Lowe became a major component of Mike Keenan's Stanley Cup-winning team of 1993-94.

While never scoring many goals, Kevin Lowe had his share of assists and played excellent defense. He was a cornerstone on the six championship teams for which he played.

Oilers Heritage said:
Regarded as an intense competitor, Lowe expected success every time his skates touched the ice.

Unlike most defenceman who immediately play in the minors after the draft, the Oilers thrust Lowe into the NHL schedule right away.

Joe Pelletier said:
His play was a quiet force and a defensive genius on a dynasty that was known for outscoring the opposition.

Lowe had outstanding hockey sense and vision which game him a superior advantage by understanding the defensive breakdown of the oncoming attack. An agile though not fast skater, Lowe used his anticipation to relieve the opposition of the puck. He would then safely move the puck up to one of his many outstanding forwards. It is safe to say that the Oilers forwards couldn't have cheated offensively like they did if they didn't have a defensive stalwart like Lowe to break up plays and spring the forwards loose with great transitional passes.

While "Vish" didn't get the recognition he deserved from the media or fans, those on the ice knew just how great he was.

A natural leader, he was the alternate captain for most of the Oilers' Dynasty, and became the Oilers' fifth Captain in the 1990-91 season.

-'' Kevin was never getting the headlines or setting the records for scoring goals. He was the consummate team guy who helped keep everything together when things got a little bit scratchy.'' - Glen Sather

-'' That's what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.'' - Wayne Gretzky, informing the media that Lowe was hiding broken ribs throughout the 1988 playoffs

-'' In all those Islanders-Oilers games, I thought Kevin was the guy who really held the Oiler defense together. You always knew he would take somebody out of the play; he'd take a hit; he'd block a shot. He never played on the fringes.'' - Mike Bossy

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10968
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_player_sheet.cfm?player_id=2166&CFID=1956941&CFTOKEN=32966801
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Lowe
http://www.oilersheritage.com/history/dynasty_players_kevinlowe.html
http://oilerslegends.blogspot.com/2007/02/kevin-lowe.html
Videos:
http://www.oilersheritage.com/memories/videos_lowe_1st_goal.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb8rw3FOp8

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Vitaly Davydov

davidov_vitaly1.jpg

Position: Defense
Height/Weight: 5'8, 160

Awards: IIHF Best Defenseman (1967), USSR All-Star (1962, 1966-70)

Year|League|Team|GP|G|A|P|PIM
1957-58|USSR|Dynamo|17|1|?|1|?
1958-59|USSR|Dynamo|27|1|?|1|?
1959-60|USSR|Dynamo|33|3|?|3|?
1960-61|USSR|Dynamo|29|3|?|3|?
1961-62|USSR|Dynamo|29|3|3|6|10
1962-63|USSR|Dynamo|28|2|1|3|10
1963-64|USSR|Dynamo|35|7|0|7|0
1964-65|USSR|Dynamo|23|1|2|3|4
1965-66|USSR|Dynamo|35|1|2|3|20
1966-67|USSR|Dynamo|41|3|1|4|18
1967-68|USSR|Dynamo|41|5|3|8|14
1968-69|USSR|Dynamo|42|0|?|?|?
1969-70|USSR|Dynamo|38|3|?|?|?
1970-71|USSR|Dynamo|40|1|6|7|6
1971-72|USSR|Dynamo|30|?|?|?|?
1972-73|USSR|Dynamo|31|3|0|3|8
Total ||| 591 | 39 | 30 | 69 | 118

hockeystars.ru said:
For all his skill and meticulous execution, Davydov went unnoticed in comparison to power-looking defencemen like Nikolai Sologubov. But the future three-time Olympic champion was always quick to defend himself physically, and through a courageous struggle eventually took his rightful place on the USSR team.

It was (undrafted coach) who re-made Davydov from a winger into a defender, a star of world hockey. He saw that the young player would not mind playing tough, often engaging opponents, and most importantly - was a fast skater, which is very important for a defender.

Vitaly Davydov was the living embodiment of Dynamo Moscow. Fast, maneuverable, willing to sacrifice himself for his team, extraordinary will and dedication, with an inspiration not only to play but also to train, Davydov always served as an example for his teammates. He was a giant in spirit - nothing and nobody could stop Vitaly. Davydov was named the best defender at the World Championship in 1967.

Olympic Career

Year | Medal
1964 (Innsbruck)| Gold
1968 (Grenoble)| Gold
1972 (Sapporo)| Gold

WC Career

Year | Medal
1963 (Sweden)| Gold
1965 (Finland)| Gold
1966 (Yugoslavia)| Gold
1967 (Austria)| Gold
1969 (Sweden)| Gold
1970 (Sweden)| Gold
1971 (Switzerland)| Gold
1972 (Czechoslovakia)| Silver

Last edited:

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
New Haven Nighthawks, Right Wing, Ed Westfall.
edwestfall.jpg

Position: D/RW
Height: 6-1
Weight: 197 lbs.
Born: September 19, 1940 in Belleville, Ontario

Awards and Achievements
2-Time Stanley Cup Winner (1970, 1972)

From Greatest Hockey Legends.com
By 1964-65, the struggling Boston Bruins promoted Westfall to right wing where he stayed for most of the rest of his career. With his strong defensive background he quickly established himself as a top defensive forward, combining intellect and speed to shut down the opposition's top gunners. Later on his career, the Bruins added a feisty face-off expert in Derek Sanderson. Sanderson centered Westfall as the two combined to be one of the greatest defensive checking units of all time. The two especially excelled as penalty killers, something that was very necessary on the old Big Bad Bruins teams.

He was named the Islanders first ever Captain, and provided a large measure of leadership to a young Islander team that eventually led to four straight Stanley Cups. Unfortunately for Eddie, he retired at the end of the 1978-79 season, one year before the Isle's first Cup reign. Even though he doesn't have a championship title with the Islanders, his fingerprints are all over that dynastic team of the early 1980s. Westfall came from the Bruins and as the first Islanders captain installed high standards of professionalism and excellence that would serve the organization and its collection of incredible hockey players extremely well.

From Greatest Hockey Legends.com (Pavelich Bio)
Stan Fischler, a famous hockey author, ranked him as the 4th best defensive forward of all time in his book Hockey's 100. Only Claude Provost, Joe Klukay and Ed Westfall ranked ahead Marty.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our 11th selection, the 308th overall in thisy ear All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select Right Winger Reginald Joseph Leach

000105233.jpg

Nickname: The Riverton Rifle
Height: 6'0''
Weight: 180 lbs
Position: Right Wing
Date of Birth: April 23, 1950
Place of Birth: Riverton , Manitoba, Canada

Stanley Cup Champion (1975)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1976, 1980)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1976)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1976, 1980)
Maurice Richard Trophy (1976)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1976)
Canada Cup (1976)
Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame (1997)

Top-10 Goalscoring (1st, 7th, 7th)
Top-10 +/- (3rd, 6th, 9th)
Top-10 Game Winning Goals (2nd, 3rd, 6th)

Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (1st, 3rd, 7th)
Top-10 Playoff Game Winning Goals (2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)

- Named 8th best wrist shot of All-Time by the Ultimate Book of Hockey Lists
- He's the father of Jamie
- From 1968 to 1970, Leach was named on the Western Canadian Junior Hockey League First All-Star Team. He also won the Player of the Year award on his last junior season
WCJHL Player of the Year (1970)
- Was first selected by the Boston Bruins 3rd overall in the 1970 NHL Amateur Draft
- On February 23rd 1972, he was traded to California by Boston with Rick Smith and Bob Stewart for Carol Vadnais and Don O'Donoghue
- On May 24th 1974, Leach was traded to Philadelphia by California for Larry Wright, Al MacAdam and Philadelphia's 1st round choice (Ron Chipperfiled) in 1974 Amateur Draft
- In 1976, Leach registered a NHL record 80 goals, breaking by one goal the mark of Phil Esposito in the 1970-71 season. That record stood for five years, until Mike Bossy broke it with 85 goals
- In the 1976 playoffs, he broke Maurice Richard's goal scoring streak with goals in nine consecutive playoff games and set the NHL record for most goals in a playoffs with 19. He also tied an NHL record set by Hall of Famer Maurice Richard and Daryll Sittler on May 6th, 1976, when he scored five times to lead the Philadelphia Flyers to a 6-3 win over the Boston Bruins in Game Five of the Stanley Cup Semi-Finals.
- In 1976, Reggie Leach became, and still is, the only non-goaltender to win the Conn Smythe Trophy in a losing cause
- Reggie Leach received vote for the Selke Trophy during the 1978-79 season
- Leach was selected to the Manitoba's All-Century Second All-Star Team
- At the end of his hockey career, Leach went on to sell cars and insurance

HHOF said:
The Golden Seals were blatantly overmatched most nights, but Leach's talent began to shine through the depression of losing. In 1972-73 and 1973-74, he recorded consecutive 20 goal seasons. In the second of these years, he formed the team's top line with Walt McKechnie and Joey Johnston.

It was in the Flyers' failed attempt at a third triumph in the playoffs that Leach's star shone the brightest. During the 1975-76 season, he scored 61 regular-season goals but saved his best for the post-season. Leach's 19-goal effort in 16 games earned him the Conn Smythe Trophy even though the Montreal Canadiens in the Stanley Cup finals swept his team.

Incredibly, in 1979-80 the wily veteran scored 50 times and helped the Flyers set an NHL record by going undefeated in 35 consecutive games from October 14 to January 6. More important, Leach took on defensive responsibilities and killed penalties for the first time in his career. He also scored 16 points while helping Philly reach the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost to the New York Islanders in six games.

Leach finished with 381 goals in 934 regular-season games while earning a reputation as one of the top snipers of his day.

Joe Pelletier said:
During most of the mid 1970s to the early 1980s, NHL teams needed gun control. You see when teams faced off against the Philadelphia Flyers they had plenty to worry about, namely Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber and Bernie Parent. However teams would often focus the attention of their top checkers against a streaky though explosive right winger from Riverton, Manitoba. That winger's name? One of the most prolific sharpshooters nicknamed "The Rifle" - Reggie Leach

Flyers History.com said:
Arguably the most naturally gifted member of the famous LCB line, Leach had a hat trick of devastating shots in his arsenal. He had a wicked 100 MPH slapshot that intimidated defenders and goaltenders alike, a wrist shot that could pick any corner or find the tiniest five hole opening, and a tricky backhander that made many a goalie look foolish. Leach was dangerous any time he got the puck over the blueline. He could score from any angle and was a good enough stickhandler to elude would-be shotblockers and pokecheck attempts. He also had underrated speed and was lethal in transition.

-'' I think it was great because I believe I was the first forward on a losing team to ever win the Conn Smythe. I know other goaltenders had won it beforehand on losing teams but I think at that time it was a great honour to be awarded that trophy and everything else. I didn't really enjoy it at the time because of us getting knocked out in four games.'' - Reggie Leach

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13337
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_player_sheet.cfm?player_id=2036&mode=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Leach
http://broadstreetbullies.blogspot.com/2007/03/reggie-leach.html
http://www.halloffame.mb.ca/honoured/1997/rLeach.htm
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/hero.cgi?hero_8_
http://www.flyersalumni.org/leach.htm
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzYntT_HKRg

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our 12th selection, the 315th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are thrill to select Winger Jere Kalervo Lehtinen

001000468.jpg

Height: 6'0''
Weight: 200 lbs
Position: Wing
Date of Birth: June 24, 1973
Place of Birth: Espoo , Finland

Stanley Cup Champion (1999)
Stanley Cup Finalist (2000)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1998, 2002)
Frank J. Selke Trophy (1998, 1999, 2003)
Olympic (1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010)
Olympic Silver Medal (2006)
Olympic Bronze Medal (1994, 1998, 2010)
World Champinoship Gold Medal (1995)
World Champinoship Silver Medal (1992, 1994, 2007)

Top-10 +/- (4th, 6th, 7th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (2nd)
Top-10 Playoff +/- (5th)
Top-10 Lady Bing Nomination (7th)
Top-10 Selke Nomination (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 6th, 10th)

- Named the best defensive forward of the 1990's by Ultimate Hockey
- Named 4th best Finland born of All-Time by the Ultimate Book of Hockey Lists
- Selected by Minnesota North Stars round 4 #88 overall 1992 NHL Entry Draft
- Finnish First All-Star Team (1995)
WC-A All-Star Team (1995)
- Missed majority of 1999-2000 season recovering from leg injury suffered in game vs Nashville, October 16, 1999.

HHOF said:
Dallas Stars' wing Jere Lehtinen has played in the NHL only since 1995, but he has already made his mark as one of the league's best two-way players.

The Stars players and coaches are not the only ones who recognize Lehtinen's contributions, though. In 2003 he won the Selke award as the NHL's best defensive forward for the third time, a feat accomplished by only two other players, Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau.

One of the reasons Dallas made it through to two consecutive Stanley Cup finals in 1999 and 2000 was that Lehtinen thrives on playoff hockey.

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10930
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_player_sheet.cfm?player_id=2068&mode=2
http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=12188/bio/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jere_Lehtinen
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQeQ3SvBiBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MV9D9oI1-E

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
He was one of the NHL's best two-way centres during a career that spanned 14 seasons. The 6'4" behemoth was blessed with quick hands as well as strength, which made him a handful on faceoffs, along the boards, and in the slot. He was utilized in offensive and checking roles and was a strong leader wherever he played.-loh

He was a 6'4" 220lb face-off specialist who loved to physically punish any opponent at any time. He became the prototypical 3rd line center that everyone wanted. Huge and strong and not afraid to demonstrate that fact, he was very good defensively, and excelled at puck drops. A dedicated athlete and tireless worker, he was a quiet leader-Joe pelletier

He was a good fighter though rarely dropped the gloves. This is partially because no one wanted anything to do with him and partially because he knew he was to valuable to his team to be spending great amounts of time in the penalty box. But if one of his teammates was being fouled, he would be first on the scene.-Joe Pelletier

Otto faced off against all the top centers in the league, shutting them down defensively and physically abusing them at the same time. But the Messier-Otto war-like grudge matches were classic.

"Those two had some incredible battles. He was the only guy I saw who could physically dominate Mark," said former Oiler undrafted player.-Joe Pelletier

Joel scored at least 50 points in his first 4 full seasons, but his offensive numbers began to drop after that as he concentrated more on defensive duties. The ultimate team player, Joel sacrificed his own offensive output for the good of the team. His defensive excellence was eventually noticed league wide, as he was twice a finalist for the Selke trophy as the league's best defensive forward, though he never won the award. He had overcome his early label of a monstrous thug to be one of the league's most valuable and sought after players.-Joe Pelletier

The Toronto St.Pats are proud to select, a great physical and defensive centre for our third line...

JOEL OTTO!

Awards and Achievements
1 x Stanley Cup champion (1989)
2 x Stanley Cup Fianlist (1986, 1989)
Selke Voting record: 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 21st

Top 20's

Playoff goals- 17th(1989)

Playoff assists- 8th(1986), 5th(1989)

Playoff Points- 14th(1986), 7th(1989)

Biography
Never drafted by an NHL team, Joel Otto had to take the long way to the NHL, spending time in the minor leagues an in school before signing with the flames as a free agent in 1984. This would prove to be his golend opportunity, and after spending most of the year in them inors, he was called up for the Flames playoff drive and performed quite well, and was kept up on the big club.

Joel Otto started out quite well offensively for the Flames, and was a big part in their drive to the finals in 1986, cementing his role as a physically dominating centre. He would ctronbite quite well to the Flames the next few years, before playing a huge role in their cup victory, scoring at a pace very good for a checker.

His offensive output would drop a bit after this however, as he sacrificed his offense to focus more on defense, and becoming a constant selke candidate in the late 80s.

He would become an unrestricted free agent himself eventually, and with Messier now in the East, many teams very much coveted him to take on Messier, including the Rangers who wanted desperately wanted to get him so he could not be used against Messier.

Otto would eventually sign with the Flyers, but it was clear that his game had decreased with age. After his tenture there, he decided to quietly retire, leaving behind a tremendous legacy, both on the world stage and in the NHL.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
RW - Bill Mosienko (1940-1955)
bill_mosienko.jpg

NHL Player Biographies said:
Despite Mosienko's lack of hardware in the form of trophies, the name Bill Mosienko may be one of the most well known names of the 1940's because of one particular record that he has held since 1952. On March 23 of that year Bill Mosienko scored 3 goals in the span of 21 seconds, a record that still exists today, and given the style of play today, it is a record that perhaps could last for many years to come.

Mosienko was known for his skating ability and was ranked as the fastest skater in the NHL. He earned that title by beating the fastest skaters from the other 5 teams in 1950 during a skating contest at the Montreal Forum. He was also ranked as the fastest skater by a poll of sportscaster in all 6 NHL cities.

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
His achievements have been overshadowed, for better or worse, by that amazing performance, but he was much more than just the answer of an excellent trivia question. A Hall of Fame player, Mosienko was a talented and solid right winger on the "Pony Line" with the brothers Bentley, Max and Doug. Together they were one of the greatest lines in hockey history.

Bill Gadsby said:
That record will never be broken. Never. It was just fantastic, it was damn near the same play off the face-off each one. He could really skate. he could really fly and he scored those three goals. I mean, it was unbelievable just to watch it!

Accomplishments
* Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1965)
* NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1945, 1946)
* Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (1945)
* Participated in an NHL All-Star Game (1947, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953)
* Top-5 in Goals (1945, 1952)
* Top-10 in Goals (1944, 1945, 1947, 1951, 1952)
* Top-5 in Assists (1946)
* Top-10 in Assists (1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1949)
* Top-5 in Points (1945, 1946)
* Top-10 in Points (1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1952)​

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With the 132nd pick in ATD2010, The Regina Pats are proud to select:

Ernie "Moose" Johnson, D/LW

moose_johnson_postcard_proof.jpg

- 5'11, 185 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup Champion (1906, 1907, 1908, 1910)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1916)
- ECAHA 2nd All-Star Team (1907, 1908)
- PCHA 1st All-Star Team (1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919)
- PCHA 2nd All-Star Team (1921)
- 8th, 10th in Scoring in two ECAHA Seasons (1906, 1907)
- Top-5 in Scoring by NHA Defensemen Twice (3rd, 5th)
- Top-3 in Scoring by PCHA Defensemen Four Times (3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd)
- Top-4 In Stanley Cup Scoring Twice (1st-1908, 4th-1907)
- Top-6 in League PIM Five Times (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 6th)
- Led all Defensemen in Playoffs in Points with 2 (1916 - including NHA and PCHA and Stanley Cup games)
- Named to the 1893-1926 All-Star Team on Defense by historian and author Charles C. Coleman

loh.net said:
... After playing two seasons in the Canadian Amateur Hockey League he signed on with the Montreal Wanderers for the Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey Association's inaugural season of 1905-06 where he finished tenth in scoring with 12 goals in a ten-game schedule. In March 1906 the Wanderers ended the three-year reign of the legendary Silver Seven by defeating Ottawa in a two-game challenge for the Stanley Cup.

Prior to the start of the 1906-07 season the ECAHA ruled that professionals would be allowed to play with the amateurs in the league and the Wanderers were quick to sign Johnson (and others) to lucrative contracts. Those men officially became the first five pro players allowed to compete for the Stanley Cup when the Wanderers successfully won a Cup challenge from New Glasgow in December 1906, prior to the start of the new ECAHA season.

The Wanderers were three games into the 1907 ECAHA season when they hosted the Kenora Thistles in a two-game, total-goals, Stanley Cup challenge series at Montreal. Kenora won both games and took the Cup from the Wanderers by a total score of 12-8, though the Wanderers returned to league play and posted a perfect 10-0-0 season record to qualify to challenge right back.

Johnson continued to impress during the regular season, increasing his goal production to 15 from the previous season and again finishing in the top ten of league scoring. The Wanderers traveled west to Winnipeg in late March 1907 to avenge their earlier loss to the Thistles and reclaimed the Cup in the two-game, total-goal series by a score of 12-8. After the final game a Kenora player cracked Johnson over the head with his stick and cut him for 13 stitches.

Johnson was named to the ECAHA Second All-Star Team in 1908 as he and his Wanderer teammates defended their Stanley Cup title again in January, March, and December of that year, before losing the ECHA title, and thus the Stanley Cup, to Ottawa in 1909. They were champions again in 1910 after winning the newly formed National Hockey Association title from the Ottawa Senators and defended the Cup against Berlin (now Kitchener) on March 12, 1910.

Moose Johnson played one more year for the Wanderers before moving west to play for the New Westminster Royals of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. He was a perennial all-star in the western league, making the PCHA First All-Star Team in 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, and 1921. It was while playing in Victoria as a member of the Cougars that he was first called Moose. "As far as I know," he recalled later, "I was the first 'Moose' in sports history. Now there are dozens." He was noted for using the longest stick in hockey and had a 99-inch reach. "The year I quit they buried my stick," said Johnson. "It was the longest stick ever used. In those days there was no size regulations and they couldn't take it from me because it was my livelihood." His final year in the PCHA was with Victoria in 1921-22.

Ultimate Hockey said:
Johnson was a powerful skater and one of the faster men of his day. Oddly, he played his entire career without any fingers on his right hand! In 1900, he lost the fingers after receiving a 2,300 volt electrical jolt.

**** *******, who played point behind Johnson in Montreal, held the big blond in high regard: "By the time a forward got around Johnson on defense, the rest was easy for me," ******* explained. "They were usually somewhere over by the boards."

Johnson was a regular First-Team All-Star on PCHA referee Mickey Ion's famous hand-picked squads and has been considered the finest all-around rearguard in hockey between 1900 and 1925. Regularly playing with broken jaws, fractured arms, even separated shoulders, Johnson was a gamer in the truest sense.

The Trail Of the Stanley Cup said:
A long and spectacular career... was the speedy left wing for the Wanderers... In those days there he was described as a six-footer with terrific speed, a bullet shot and indomitable courage... He developed a marvelous poke check and was a very difficult man to get around... developed an extraordinary skill at playing the puck rather than the man, although he was by no means backward with his bodychecking... In his first years in the PCHA he was a hard man to keep in training, and was inclined to draw useless penalties for rough play. However, when he steadied down there was no better defenseman in the estimation of those who saw him perform...He played eleven years in the PCHA, and was chosen as an all-star defenseman ten times. He was never sold or traded, being too valuable an attraction... He earned the nickname "Moose" for the fortitude he displayed in brushing off injuries that would put other players out of action for weeks. During his career he had his nose broken twice, received three bad cuts over his eyes, a piece cut from a thigh, many ankle cuts, and a badly gashed foot. Black eyes, jammed fingers and bruises didn't count. In spite of these injuries, he missed only twelve games in ten years of play... at times he was unpopular for his rough play... He developed the poke check so well to such an art that in his last few years with Victoria, Lester patrick used him frequently at rover to spearhead the defense. In his final years with Victoria he had regained all his popularity and the fans applauded him everywhere. Near the close of the 1921 season a special Johnson night was held in Victoria. He was presented with a trophy from the PCHA inscribed "To Moose Johnson as a token of appreciation of his brilliant career as the greatest defense player in the PCHA during the past ten years."

Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia said:
The most feared pokechecker on hockey's ponds...

The Patricks: Hockey's Royal Family said:
A magnificent and extremely popular defenseman for over a decade... certainly not named Moose because of his delicate nature... big, fun-loving, good-natured...

Ultimate Hockey says he lost all his fingers. But was it only two?

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played In the NHL said:
His poke check made it virtually impossible for forwards to get around him with any success... He was a big man, and he played much longer than the average star player... Perhaps most amazing was that in 1900 he absorbed a 2300 volt shock and lost two fingers on his right hand.

Honored Members said:
He had a successful career, despite losing some fingers on his right hand from an accident in his youth.

Montreal Gazette said:
Johnson was put out for some minutes with a crack on the arm, but aside from this, the two escaped injury. Both played excellent games for their respective teams, Johnson's work being particularly good. He went right into the thick of the fray and took all that was going.

(ECAHA, key game late in the season) There seemed little doubt as to the outcome after play got started. The smooth skating Patrick and Johnson were all over the Senators.

The Kenora team roughed it up considerably and Johnson took a going over from **** *********. However, Ernie was playing hockey and got a brace of goals in spite of the heavy going.

Montreal Gazette said:
Johnson worked like a trojan, and never let up in following back when Quebec had possession of the puck.

The Renfrew Millionaires said:
And if you got past the forwards and were able to move into the Wanderers' end, Moose Johnson and his point partner **** ******* were right there, ready to play it however you wanted. Those two wouldn't back down from anyone!

The Renfrew Millionaires said:
The feature was the play of the two cover points, Taylor and Johnson, generally considered to be the two greatest men to have ever donned skates.

Toronto Star said:
(a list of many pro players and who takes the cake in what categories)
Gordon Roberts has the honor of being the most matter of fact.
Fred Taylor is the most eccentric.
Ernie Johnson gets the diploma as the most sensational.
Arthur Ross is the most selfish player.
Newsy Lalonde is the wickedest of the lot.

Montreal Gazette said:
Among the contracts which Patrick secured is one calling for the services of Ernie Johnson, the sensational cover-point player of the New Westminster champions...

Ottawa Citizen said:
Ernie Johnson, the Westminster cover-point is a great drawing card, and one of the Vancouver/Westminster games may be transferred to Victoria so that the fans there may have an opportunity to see "The Cyclone" and "The Bull Moose" up against one another.

The schedule opened at Victoria January 2nd... Ernie Johnson was the star of the game, scoring two goals and giving a great display of his steady defence work.

On February 2nd, Johnson was struck above the eye by a puck that inflicted a bad gash. The doctors were afraid the eye had been damaged and wanted Johnson to leave the game. However, Ernie insisted on returning to the game in which he scored two goals. He missed one game but was back in the lineup on February 16th playing with blurred eyesight. The press was now referring to him as The Big Moose.

Ernie Johnson had a piece of flesh gouged out of his thigh by a skate, but The Moose was back in action three days later.

Moose Johnson said:
I noticed that the ice near my defense area was stained with blood. I said to my defense partner, "gosh, someone has a bad cut". We finished the half and went to the dressing room where I was surprised to discover blood-covered snow around the top of one of my skates. The club doctor looked at it and said "Well, Moose, you're through for the night." That was a calamitous declaration in those days. "No, I said, just fix me up so I can finish the game." An artery had been cut, but the doctor tied it up, put in a few stitches, and I played straight through the second half. And a long 30 minutes it was, too.

Another casualty was Ernie Johnson who required 14 stitches in a gashed foot. however, he was only off the ice long enough to have the surgical repairs. Two weeks later Johnson received another bad ankle cut but he didn't miss a game.

The game on December 14th was featured by a bulldozing stunt by Ernie Johnson. In a headlong rush he crashed into the boards and a whole section toppled over.

Ernie Johnson continued to play a rough game and drew the ire of president Lester Patrick for his work when the Rosebuds defeated the Mets January 7th.

NY Times said:
Moose Johnson was a tower of strength for Portland on both the offense and the defense, and it was his work that broke up the concerted attacks of Les Canadiens not once, but almost every time that he dove after the puck.

In the second period Moose Johnson began to show signs of his famous speed, and with ****** as his chief assistant, he made many daring and spectacular raids on the Canadian cage. Although time after time, these two players passed the defensemen of Les Canadiens, their shots to the cage were blocked by Vezina.

Johnson was stopping most of the attacks of Les Canadiens before they got within hailing distance of the Portland goal...

NY Times said:
Brilliant playing by ***** and Moose Johnson put them in the running... Their work was the best of the evening, each of them showing wonderfully clever stick work and passing.

Ernie had a bit of a rough 1917 but despite being an alleged drinker, was the star of the game most nights:

On December 12th 1500 fans were on hand to see Ernie Johnson roughing it up.

Although Johnson was easily the outstanding star of the Portland team, he was making himself very unpopular with his continued rough play.

Johnson was captain of Portland and recognized as the best defenseman in the league. He was many times noted as the star of the game but just as often criticized for his unnecessarily rough play. In a game against Vancouver February 3rd, he specialized in knocking sticks out of players' hands and it was alleged that he was probably drunk. A few days later he was reported as the star of the game, scoring two goals in sensational end-to-end rushes.

Ernie Johnson was again a standout on defense. he still played his rugged game that drew many penalties.

Although Victoria proved to be weak it was not due to lack of effort on the part of Moose Johnson. He was playing better than ever and keeping out of the penalty box.

Ernie Johnson was still starring on defense using his great poke check to advantage. He was playing clean steady hockey in spite of being the target for many butt ends and cross checks.

This was the final year for Ernie Johnson who was now beginning to show signs of slowing up but his great spirit and checking power kept him in the lineup... In a game against Seattle January 4th, Johnson was cut badly over the eye and had to be carried from the ice. Manager Patrick had to take away his skates to keep him from returning to the ice.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
“He ranked with the great forwards of the game, combining speed and poise, aggressiveness and finesse, with unsurpassed mechanical ability.” – Sam Green (sports writer)

I've seen a lot of good ones, but none who had more stuff than George. He was in a class with Aurel Joliat, Jack Walker, Bun Cook or Harvey Jackson. He could do everything, that fellow. Besides, he was one of the easiest players to handle I ever had -- always in condition, always on the job, always willing to play any position. He never got into any trouble on the ice and was rarely sent to the penalty box. We've often said in the dressing room that when Hay kicks against a decision, the referee should be run out of the league.” – Undrafted Coach

With our 12th round selection, McGuire’s Monsters are very pleased to select a very well-rounded player to play on our second line. This man brings speed, scoring, playmaking, work ethic, and classy leadership. Please welcome…..

George Hay!!!

Awards and Achievements:
4 x WCHL First Team All-Star (1922, 1923, 1924, 1926)
2 x NHL First Team All-Star (1927, 1928)

Detroit Falcons’ Team Captain
Served in both World Wars!!

Hart Voting – 4th(1928)
Lady Byng Voting – 2nd(1928), 3rd(1929), 5th(1930)

Scoring:
NHL Points – 13th(1927), 3rd(1928), 10th(1929), 18th(1930)
NHL Goals – 18th(1927), 5th(1928), 17th(1929)
NHL Assists – 8th(1927), 3rd(1928), 8th(1929)

WCHL Points – 4th(1922), 3rd(1923), 3rd(1924), 9th(1925), 5th(1926)
WCHL Goals – 4th(1922), 2nd(1923), 3rd(1924), 8th(1925), 5th(1926)
WCHL Assists – 3rd(1922), 7th(1923), 4th(1924), 3rd(1926)

Consolidated Points – 8th(1923), 3rd(1924), 9th(1926)
Consolidated Goals – 9th(1922), 6th(1923),9th(1924)
Consolidated Assists – 5th(1924), 5th(1926)

Complete Top-10s
Points – 3rd(1924), 3rd(1928), 8th(1923), 9th(1926), 10th(1929)
Goals – 5th(1928), 6th(1923), 9th(1922), 9th(1924)
Assists – 3rd(1928), 5th(1924), 5th(1926), 8th(1927), 8th(1929)

George Hay's NHL prime lasted from 1927 to 1930. Here's what he looks like in those 4 years:

8th in Points
9th in Goals
6th in Assists

Compare to other LWs at the time:
George Hay - 65 goals, 44 assists, 109 points
Bun Cook – 65 goals, 46 assists, 111 points
Aurele Joliat – 73 goals, 32 assists, 105 points

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With the 178th pick in ATD2010, The Regina Pats are proud to select:

Glenn Anderson, RW

CCI03172010_00000.jpg

- 6'1", 190 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup Champion (1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1994)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1983)
- Canada Cup Champion (1984, 1987)
- 4th, 5th, 5th in RW All-Star Voting
- Top-20 in Goals Four Times (3rd, 4th, 9th, 16th)
- Top-20 in Assists Twice (9th, 17th)
- Top-20 in Points Four Times (9th, 11th, 12th, 13th)
- Top-15 in Playoff Goals 8 Times (3nd, 6th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th)
- Top-10 in Playoff Assists 6 Times (6th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 8th)
- Top-15 in Playoff Points 7 Times (4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 11th)
- Career Adjusted +73

loh.net said:
...Anderson finally joined the Oilers for 58 games of the 1980-81 season. He scored 30 goals, an excellent start for a rookie, and further announced himself with 105 points the next season to finish among the top ten scorers in the league.

Anderson launched himself at the net on rushes, using his balance to stay upright even with defenders hanging from him. He was consistently near the top of the NHL in scoring and thrived in the playoffs, scoring overtime winners and game-clinching goals in each of the Oilers five marches to the Stanley Cup between 1984 and 1990.

Anderson's play remained steady on the ice and he had 22 points in 22 playoff games when the Oilers won the Cup in 1990. Two years later he was involved in a blockbuster trade that saw some of the last pieces of the Oiler dynasty, himself and goalie Grant Fuhr, moved to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Anderson became one of the Leafs top scorers and once again was a playoff leader as Toronto made it to within one game of the Cup finals in 1993.

Anderson was traded to the New York Rangers for Mike Gartner just before the 1994 playoffs. He joined Mark Messier and other ex-Oilers in winning the Stanley Cup in those playoffs. Of his three goals, two were game winners. At the time, only Maurice Richard had more overtime playoff goals, and only Messier, Gretzky, and Jari Kurri had more playoff points.

Anderson's approach to the sport was ideologically different than that of many of his peers. More European in outlook, he never missed a chance to play in international competitions...

loh.net said:
Glenn Anderson was a fearless forward, aggressively going to the net to bang in goals. He had the knack of scoring key goals at key times...

Glenn always marched to the beat of his own drum. "I've always had a carefree spirit and attitude about whatever it might be," he says. "But when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, I'll be there. Always. I think I'll always have that feeling, wherever I go, as long as I live. The coaches do their thing and I do my thing. If we couldn't comprehend each other, then I wouldn't be here."

Bob Ferguson, the Oilers' scout that touted Anderson, added, "Glennie Anderson would never be intimidated by anybody on the ice or off the ice. Glenn puts hockey and sports in its proper perspective. It's not the be-all and the end-all."

While Glenn Anderson is remembered for his aggressive forays to the creases of opposing NHL goaltenders, his play in international tournaments was of equal merit. In both scenarios, Glenn states, "The bigger the game, the better I played."

Joe Pelletier said:
With blazing speed Glenn Anderson became a dangerous clutch goal scorer playing on Mark Messier's right wing with the Edmonton Oilers and later the New York Rangers... He played with reckless abandon, fearlessly crashing the net, doing whatever it took to score a goal.

...Tim Burke of the Montreal Gazette became a big fan of Anderson's and even published an article comparing him to Rocket Richard. As if Guy Lafleur skating comparisons weren't tough enough, even being mentioned in the same breath of Rocket Richard is quite numbing.

While no one has or likely ever will come close to being what Rocket Richard was, the comparison had good merit in that Anderson would be a poor man's Richard. Anderson was a great player from the blueline in. He had a flare for scoring exciting and big goals and was at his best in big games, especially the playoffs. He played a similarly reckless style - yet no one can be compared to Richard.

...Glenn Anderson was a very nice player on a very strong team. In some ways that helped his status in the hockey world, but in other ways it kept him in the shadows and from greater individual acclaim.

After waiting several seasons, Anderson was finally rightfully inducted in the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008, although his former Oilers cohorts couldn't understand why he was not inducted earlier.

"I don't even think there should be a debate about him," said *********. "I was there for most of his accomplishments and he's achieved many more huge results than guys that are in the Hall. It kind of astounds me that every time I've seen his name mentioned that he hasn't been one of the guys who have been elected automatically."

"He was the kind of player who, the bigger the game, the better he performed. Just based on his credentials in the playoffs alone I think he's a guy who really qualifies."

Former teammate Kevin Lowe was also critical that Anderson did not share a place in the hallowed hall along side Wayne Gretzky, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri and Mark Messier much sooner.

"Those five guys, to a man, would say it's ridiculous that Anderson is not in the Hall because they all view him on the same level as themselves," said Lowe. " When I sat in that dressing room with all those great players, when I looked around the room and we were in a big game, the one guy I thought would score the big goal was Anderson, and to his credit he did.

"Maybe, to his fault, a lot of the lesser games were less important to him. He would have scored 600 goals had they been. But anyone who has won championships recognized that Anderson was one of those big-game players. He has all the stats to support it."

Edmonton Journal said:
...For the past seven years, Anderson, 27, and Mark Messier have been one of the fastest, most fearsome attacking duos in NHL history. The two have starred on three Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup and two Canada Cup champion teams. Anderson has averaged 43 goals a year. Only Wayne Gretzky has more career game-winning goals for the Oilers than Anderson, 61-57. When Gretzky sprained his knee two weeks ago, Oilers coach and general manager **** ****** named Anderson interim team captain.

...Today when Anderson is attacking the net, he remains amazingly calm. "Glenn has got total confidence in his control of his body," Ferguson says. "I've see him and David (Anderson) practice in the summer. They're running into goal posts. They know they're not going to get hurt."

"When the going is really tough and you're in a tight and tense situation, he's the guy, because he is so relaxed all the time," Perrick says. "But if the game is 5-1, I don't think he's that interested. ... I think Wayne Gretzky is one of the few people that can lead from wire to wire. But Glenn is the type that is not going to waste anything up front."

...Anderson has always gone his own way. His boyhood heroes weren't Hull, Esposito or Howe. He favoured the Soviet Alexanders, the smooth Yakushev and Malstev, the playmaker... "It seems to me Glenn was blessed with God-gifted talent," Magnus says. "Even though he was on the small side as a boy, he always came in the forefront of all the other competitors. He's the guy who picked up the trophy."

..."Glenn was never concerned about goals and assists," Marshall Johnston says. "He was concerned about playing hard and about winning. I've never known him to be an 'I' guy -- maybe too a fault. He never lobbies on his own behalf."

Ultimate Hockey said:
Anderson struck fear into opposition goalies. Not only did he have the raw skills - speed, skating, big shot - buthe had a great big mean streak. Teammate Kevin Lowe once commented on Anderson's abrasive playing style. "Andy does it in an unassuming fashion. He's very subtle. But anyone who wants to take advantage of him will pay the price."

Oilers co-coach **** ******* was high on the fiery right winger: "He's a gifted shater and and a daredevil. He goes to the net as well as anyone in the NHL. He drives to the net and when you're playing against him, you have to be leery of him. You never know what's going to happen. He loses control."

In a word: BRAVADO

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Ever Played in the NHL said:
Anderson, a left-handed shot, played the right wing, like Richard, and this gave him a better angle for cutting in on goal. And cut in he did. He showed no fear in skating hell-bent toward the goalie, with or without the puck, and he became infamous for his dirty, often vicious use of his stick... His reputation gave him more room than he might have had as a cleaner player.

Lord Stanley's Cup said:
Nicknamed "Kamikaze" because of his reckless abandon in driving to the net down the right side, his off-wing.

Maple Leaf Legends said:
Anderson's game can best be summarized with two words: Speed and scoring. He could fly down the wing and take the puck to the net in an absolutely fearless manner. Many players could skate as well, but few had the courage to go to the net on such a steady basis. Once Anderson got there, he had a nice touch and a hard shot... He was even better in the playoffs... At 6'1" and 190 lbs, Anderson was not the biggest player in the NHL, but he played bigger by wanting the puck and being willing to dig it out. Anderson was adept at taking punishment in front of the net, using his stick to get some room and keep the opposition leery of the lumber. He managed to avoid serious injury for most of his career... In the Leafs' surprising 1993 playoff run, Anderson showed again he was a clutch player, with 18 points in 21 games. He scored a key goal against Detroit in the 7th game and an overtime winner versus Los Angeles in the fifth game.

Firewagon Hockey: The Game in the 80s said:
A superb skater who was fearless... became known as one of the best clutch players in NHL history.

The World Of Pro Hockey said:
Messier and Anderson don't play the game quite as flamboyantly as Gretzky and Kurri, but their own particular methods are just as effective. Both players are basically power forwards - each possessing excellent speed. While Gretzky and Kurri will dazzle opponents with their intricate passing manauvers, Messier and Anderson will simply take the shortest route to the net. If that path is clogged by an opponent, so be it. With superior strength and leg speed, both players have been known to ruthlessly bowl over opposition defenders en route to the net. It ain't pretty but it works.

The World Of Pro Hockey said:
Gretzky insisted that Glenn Anderson's goal, 21 seconds into the 2nd period, was the turning point in the game. "It tied the score and was a big emotional boost for our club", he said. "When things don't go right for us, someone usually comes along and gives us a lift. That's what makes us a great team."

Wayne Gretzky said:
Is there anyone who enjoys playing the game more than Glenn Anderson? He's a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to play with. He hustles every minute and he has a good time at it.

Wayne Gretzky said:
Andy is noted for barrelling into situations. I knew there was an excellent chance he'd be the first one to get to the puck. hey paid attention to him and I think they forgot about me.

Wayne Gretzky: An Autobiography said:
Andy just loved to play in big games. The bigger the game, the better he played. If it was a Tuesday in St. Louis maybe he wasn't too up to it, but if it was April, you knew he was going to come up big.

Anderson was even clutch defensively when the situation demanded it:

Gretzky To Lemieux: The Story Of the 1987 Canada Cup said:
Lemieux's goal came with just under 10 minutes left, and the Canadians did a masterful job of protecting their lead...Messier and Anderson drew the assignment against the Larionov line and didn't surrender a scoring chance against the great Russian trio.

They understood they'd dug themselves a deep hole and they knew they were facing a mighty opponent, but they weren't exactly paralyzed by their predicament. Gilmour remembers the players filing into the locker room and sitting in silence before Anderson broke into a chorus of "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my" from The Wizard Of Oz. That eased the tension..."It was the confidence of the Oilers and it rubbed off on everyone in the room."

****** again sent out Messier, Anderson and Gartner, the Russians didn't produce a thing, and Gretzky and Lemieux were given an invaluable breather.

Simply The Best (story of the 1990 Cup Win) said:
The Oilers had skated the Bruins into oblivion. After a scoreless first period, Glenn Anderson gave Boston a taste of things to come one minute into the second when he found himself coming in alone on Ray Bourque and *** *******. Obviously terrified of Anderson's speed, ******* bit on an outside fake. Bourque left himself too wide and Anderson stepped between them for the game's first goal. It had all the elements of victory - speed, finesse, and experience. And the Bruins could not handle it. Nor could anyone else last spring.

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1982 said:
Great speed, puckhandling and scoring skills, defensively sound and aggressive...

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1983 said:
Electrifying performer, ultra-fast, tough and skilled... very aggressive, plays as if he was much larger... good penalty killer...

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1984 said:
One of the most gifted young players in the game... very fast, skilled in all areas and physically aggressive...

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1985 said:
Ultra-quick skater who can execute all his moves at top speed... strong playoff performer... Tough and bellicose, he can play both wings... Has a laid-back, off-the-wall approach to life...

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1986 said:
Slick, quick skater... Skilled at slipping past defenders with or without the puck to create close range scoring opportunities... always on the move... Difficult to check... Operates well in the slot area or from offensive angles in faceoff circles... Well-known for ability to pester rival goalies close to net... Plays with tenacity and drive... Rivals respect his ability but become annoyed by his persistent, chippy style of play.

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1987 said:
If one player in the NHL can make others look like they are standing still, he can... possesses tremendous speed and uses it wisely... a devil-may-care individual who sometimes acts impulsively... opponents say he's chippy and carries his stick a bit too high

Hockey Scouting Report 1987-88 said:
Anderson is a tremendously skilled player, one of the Oilers' world-class players... He is an excellent skater with tremendous speed, and he moderates it well, although he most often works at full throttle... runs into most anything he can without fear... difficult to hit because he is so fast...

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1988 said:
Incredibly fast skater who, given lots of room, leaves opponents standing still... a free spirit who excels under pressure...

Hockey Scouting Report 1988-89 said:
Anderson is a world-class player... almost unstoppable once he gets going... able to make good use of his teammates... tortures opposing goalies... he's also solid defensively, playing his check well into the defensive zone... plays with reckless disregard for his own safety... fearlessly runs into anything he can... definitely initiates a good deal of contact and is unafraid of the hitting that accompanies his work in the corners... when the playoffs come, he can't be stopped.

Hockey Scouting Report 1989-90 said:
Anderson's ability to do more things faster than almost anyone in the league makes him a remarkable finesse player... no one can catch him... His speed is made better because of his balance, so Glenn adds fantastic agility and quickness to his repertoire. His balance makes the opposition suffer the brunt of the physical punishment when Anderson gets hit, not the other way around.... Glenn doesn't need to slow down to make his plays, he works excellently at full throttle... can score anytime, from anywhere - and from any part of the net... he excels in the traffic areas around the net for tough goals too.

Plays like a kamikaze, flinging his body into people with abandon. He initiates a good deal of contact and is unafraid of the hitting that accompanies his work in the corners and he'll also get his stick into people... desire is the key to Anderson.

Hockey Scouting Report 1990-91 said:
Anderson's feet and hand skills are made better by eachother, in that Glenn needn't slow down to make his plays... He's a creative player in the offensive zone without the puck, and his good vision and anticipation allow him to make good use of his teammates... Those who came to bury Anderson and not to praise him were a bit premature last season. He rebounded during the regular season, and once again demonstrated that it is in the Stanley Cup play that he shows best - he was one of Edmonton's five best players, especially in the Final.

Hockey Scouting Report 1991-92 said:
Anderson's skating game remains his premier asset. He is blindingly fast and able to make plays while at top speed. Anderson is still among the best at cutting in from his off-wing, driving to the net and making a play. His slap shot isn't bad, but more of his goals come on close-in moves, as Anderson's thoughts and hands are as quick as his feet.

He is versatile enough offensively; Anderson will create goals of his own, or he will use his knowledge of how to get open to play off his linemates for scoring rushes.

A reliable defensive player, Anderson will not leave the zone early and think offense before the defensive job is done. He will hold his position in the zone and be there for the outlet pass when the defenseman has to rap it along the boards. And, of course, there isn't a soul he can't catch from behind.

Anderson is a feisty player. After all the accomplishments, all the championships, a fire still burns inside him. He hits, he yaps. He absolutely will not take a backward step. Cross him, you'll pay... Anderson is one of the fine clutch scorers in the game. he comes up with the big play at the proper time and probably never gets enough credit for his level of play... Anderson essentially is an unflappable individual. Not too many things bother him...

Hockey Scouting Report 1992-93 said:
Anderson remains fast enough to beat a defenseman with speed and cut to the net. he can still come up with his share of big plays at the proper time and remains one of the modern era's better clutch players. An intelligent, creative player, Anderson knows how to get open and has the in-tight scoring touch to make a fake and roof a shot... Anderson is still just careless enough with his stick that you're never absolutely sure whether he legitimately lost his balance before bonking a guy on the head.

Hockey Almanac 1993-94 said:
Skating has always been the foundation of Anderson's game. In his youth, he had speed to burn, and used it to burn defensemen. Later, he made use of his shifty, darting style where quickness no longer sufficed. He fires the puck masterfully, with a hard, accurate shot capable of finding holes in heavy traffic or beating the goalie clean. His devil-may-care attitude translates into his play, where he becomes utterly unpredictable. Anderson will do anything, go anywhere, take on anyone, to get the puck. He is fearless and relentless. He takes an amazing amount of punishment without appearing to mind. He just keeps coming and coming.

WILL: Give his all.
CAN'T: Be intimidated.

Hockey Scouting Report 1993-94 said:
Anderson's character and charisma were revitalized with the acquisition of Doug Gilmour... both are intelligent, creative players... Anderson's skating legs are still there, and it is his speed that keeps him an effective NHL forward... can score with his shot off the wing, or from his work in front of the net... not as consistently tenacious, but on the nights when he is up, he is fearless driving to the net.

Hockey Almanac 1994-95 said:
No longer one of the fastest men in the NHL, yet, one of the most difficult men to check...

NHL Coaches Poll said:
Fastest Skater:

1. Glenn Anderson
2. Mike Gartner
3. Denis Savard

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
LW/C Don Marshall

Joe Pelletier said:
A lot of adjectives describe Donny Marshall as a player - tireless, consistent, clean, hard-working - but one word describes him best - winner.

Awards and Achievements

- 2nd Team All-Star (to Bobby Hull) in 1967

- 7 Time All Star Game participant (56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 68).

- Awarded two Retro Selkes by Ultimate Hockey (1959, 1960).

- Finished second in a 1965 coaches pull (after Bob Pulford) for the Best Penalty Killer in the league. Only Pulford and Marshall received votes. Source

- 3 Times Top 15 in goals (11, 14, 14)
- 2 Times Top 20 in points (15, 17)

-Won 5 Cups in a row as a defensive specialist (56, 57, 58, 59, 60):

legendsofhockey said:
Midway into the 1954-55 campaign, the Canadiens summoned him to join their ranks. The problem the winger faced, however, was that the Habs were already thoroughly stocked with offensively skilled forwards. As such, Marshall's new role would be defensive in nature, an assignment he disliked although he never complained openly.

Instead, he toiled quietly, polishing his defensive tactics to the extent that he became one of the league's premier penalty killers. As payment for his adaptation, he enjoyed a record five-straight Stanley Cup victories between 1956 and 1960.

Joe Pelletier said:
Though he had the skills to be a front line player, Marshall never once complained about taking a checking role on the great Montreal Canadiens teams of the 1950s that won 5 consecutive Stanley Cups. A swift skater who would never allow himself to be outworked, Marshall was extremely consistent. He was also a very clean player, accumulating only 127 penalty minutes in just shy of 1200 games! His highest single season PIM total was just 14 minutes....

Marshall quietly worked on the third and fourth line as a defensive checker and penalty killer. His thankless work was a big part of the Habs success.

-Key part of the trade that brought Gump Worsley to Montreal.

-As a member of the Rangers, he was given more responsibilities and was able to reach Top 15 in goals 3 times, all while maintaining his status as one of the elite PKers of the league.

Joe Pelletier said:
Marshall continued to be a top penalty killer in New York but also received more ice time and therefore a more offensive role. Four times in 5 seasons with the Blue-shirts Marshall scored more than 20 goals, including a career high 26 in 1965-66. In 1966-67 he scored 24 goals and 46 points and was named to the NHL Second All Star team.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
C - Tommy Dunderdale (1906-1924)
150px-Tommy_Dunderdale.jpg

Hockey Notes said:
Thomas Dunderdale was a natural rover, a player with enough speed to attack and to get back in time to defend. He was a right-handed shot who was famous for his deft stickhandling. Dunderdale played very well over the next four seasons, leading his team in scoring three times and taking home league honors in 1912-13. Victoria won the league title in 1912-13 and defeated the Stanley Cup champion Bulldogs in an exhibition series. Dunderdale scored three times in three games. In 1913-14, he scored in every one of Victoria's 15 matches and was named to the PCHA First All-Star team as a center. He held out for more money in 1915 but was brought to terms by league president XXXXX XXXXXXX. He retired as the PCHA's top career goal-scorer.
In 290 games, the speedy, highly skilled Dunderdale scored 225 goals. He is a worthy member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
But Dunderdale was good at it, very good. Starting in 1906 he went on to play pro hockey in Manitoba before briefly joining the NHA's Montreal Shamrocks. By 1911 he moved out west and would become one of the greatest stars ever known on the coast.

Legends of Hockey said:
Dunderdale was noted as a deft stickhandler and fast skater.

Sturminator said:
It's nice to see PCHA stars like Morris and Dunderdale deservedly climbing up the draft. I'm not sure where they should really end up, but it is probably still higher than they have thus far climbed.

Jareklajkosz said:
Hey, you and me both. Dunderdale is the current steal of the draft in my opinion. We wanted him for our 2nd line so bad.

Accomplishments
* PCHA Leading Scorer (1913, 1914)
* PCHA Leading Goal Scorer (1913, 1914, 1920)
* PCHA Penalty Minute Leader (1917, 1918, 1922)
* PCHA Top Ten in Goals (1912, 1913, 1914, 1920)
* PCHA Top Ten in Assists (1915)
* PCHA Top Ten in Points (1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922)
* PCHA Top Ten in Penalty Minutes (1914, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1922)
* PCHA First All-Star Team (1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1920, 1922)
* PCHA Champion & Stanley Cup Finalist (1913, 1914, 1916)
* Scored the most goals (198) in PCHA history.
* Scored goals in 15 straight games in 1913/14.
* Holds the PCHA single season record for PIM (141) in 1916-17
* Holds the PCHA single season record for GWG (6) in 1913/14
* 11th All-Time in Assists Per Game (Behind players including Cyclone Taylor, Bernie Morris, Frank Frederickson, Mickey MacKay, Lester Patrick, Jack Walker and Frank Foyston)​

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
“He uses his intelligence to dominate the game. Has an incredibly accurate shot from the point. He is very efficient in the defensive zone. He thrives with lots of ice time. He is a great lateral skater.†– The Hockey News

“He was a reliable defenseman and a brilliant rusher, and his powerful shots from the blue line often took goalies by surprise.†– Legends of Hockey

"... he can skate, handle the puck, shoot and create turnovers like no other defenseman in hockey." -- Bob McCown

"He never makes a mistake." -- Ted Lindsay

“To appreciate the subtleties of how talented and consistent he is, you have to watch him every day. He's not about flashy. He's about substance." – Undrafted Coach

"He's always pretty much in a perfect position. He's probably one of the greatest defencemen ever to play the game." – Sergei Gonchar

"He's always been able to shut down the best player on a pretty regular basis. I'm pretty confident Nick will be able to do a good job. He's played against Lemieux and guys like Gretzky and Hull. I think he looks forward to it. He's not going to come out and say it. He's not a loud guy." – Undrafted Player

McGuire’s Monsters are pleased to be able to select one of the elite defensemen in this draft. This guy is elite offensively and defensively, and he may just be the most intelligent player in NHL history. Please welcome……

Nicklas Lidstrom!!!

Awards and Achievements:
4 x Stanley Cup Champion (1997, 1998, 2002, 2008)
6 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1995, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008, 2009)

Conn Smyth Trophy (2002)
6 x Norris Trophy (2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008)

9 x First Team All-Star (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008)
Second Team All-Star (2009)

Hart Voting – 4th(2008), 6th(2007), 7th(2006), 8th(2003), 9th(2000), 10th(2001)
Norris Voting – 2nd(1998), 2nd(1999), 2nd(2000), 3rd(2009), 6th(1996), 6th(1997), 6th(2004), 7th(1994)

Scoring:
Assists – 4th(2000), 4th(2002), 5th(2008), 6th(2006), 9th(2001)

Points among Defensemen – 1st(1998), 1st(2000), 1st(2003), 1st(2006), 1st(2008), 2nd(1999), 2nd(2001), 3rd(1992), 3rd(1997), 3rd(2004), 3rd(2009) 5th(1996), 5th(2007) 8th(1994)

Play-off Points – 3rd(1998), 4th(2007), 7th(2009), 8th(1995), 8th(2002)
Play-off Assists – 2nd(1998), 3rd(2007) 6th(1995), 6th(2002), 7th(2009), 10th(1999) 10th(2008)

Play-off Points among Defensemen – 1st(1998), 1st(2002), 1st(2007), 1st(2009), 2nd(1995) 4th(1996), 4th(2008), 7th(1999), 7th(2001), 7th(2004), 9th(1997)

International Achievements:
Olympic Gold Medal (2006)
World Championship (1991)
IIHF All-Star (2006)
2 x Top scoring defenseman at Olympics (2002, 2006)

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
"Pulford hadn't even been told of Cooke's deal and was so distraught at first sight of his stocky little star that he assigned him immediately to the team's 'Fat Squad', forced him to skate extra laps at practice with plastic sheets wrapped around his swollen stomach. But this time Dionne did not walk out on practice, as he had done in Detroit. And instead of sulking, as he might once have done, he worked and listened. "Pully thought I was a zipper-head," Dionne now says. "If he could have made me crawl, he would have. I wouldn't crawl. I respect him for what he did because after a while he knew I was not what he had heard."

Pulford discovered, as so any others have, that the tallest part of Dionne is his pride. "I don't want to kiss anybody's ass," he had decided just before turning professional and, though he has certainly suffered for his refreshing frankness, hockey's own belated maturing over recent years has meant that Detroit's 'big baby' is now seen as Los Angeles' leader and highly articulate spokesman - without Dionne himself having changed much." King of Kings

"He was everything for the L.A. Kings." Danny Gare

"He was a guy who could take control of a game at any moment because of his speed and his skill and his determination. Despite his size, he was a feisty enough player. He wasn't afraid to, as coaches say, 'get his nose dirty', and get involved. He didn't play on the periphery." Scott Morrison

"It was his ability to find the open man, but it was his creativity - he was a very creativity player. He found ways that, even though there was no opening on the ice, he found ways to get that opening... He was a little guy that didn't mind being in the corner or in front of the net. He got his nose dirty - he did what he had to do to get all the points. You don't get all those points just by showing up. He showed up with a tremendous amount of intensity every game... There was criticism that he wasn't a winner. That's not true. He was a winner, but he played for teams that weren't good enough to win the Cup. This guy came to play every night. Never judge a guy because he did not win a Cup. Sometimes you're playing on the wrong team. Sometimes, you're not playing with a team that had enough talent. There's no question that Marcel would have won a cup with any team that was a contender." Jacques Demers

"If you're a great player, somehow, you have to figure out how to get your team to win, and he did that. Actually, they didn't win Cups, but they had seasons where the team had over 100 points and were good in the play-offs. Players have no control over poor decisions management might make, but they do have control over how well they play, and how well their line mates play, and I think Marcel was really good at that... He was a terrific, talented player." Bobby Clarke

"Dionne, the singular example of grace and caring among so many of those he contemptuously refers to as slackers, dresses quickly and alone in the far corner of the dressing room. His teammates know better than to speak to him after a loss." King of Kings

"There has always been some feeling of sympathy for Dionne. He was an amazing scorer with great drive and passion for playing hockey. But he always played on terrible teams." Greatest Hockey Legends

With our 3rd round selection, McGuire’s Monsters are very pleased to select one of the great offensive centers. He’s the complete offensive package, and he’s not afraid to battle. Please welcome the Little Beaver himself….

Marcel Dionne!!!

“I represent a lot of people that might come close, but don’t really achieve the top. Where does that leave us? A bunch of losers? No good?†– Marcel Dionne

Award and Achievements:
2 x Lester B. Pearson Winner (1979, 1980)
Art Ross Winner (1980)
2 x Lady Byng Winner (1975, 1977)

2 x First Team All-Star (1977, 1980)
2 x Second Team All-Star (1979 1981)
Third Team All-Star (1985)
Third Team All-Star (1977)

Hart Voting – 2nd(1980), 3rd(1979), 3rd(1981), 5th(1977), 8th(1975), 9th(1985)

Lady Byng Voting – 2nd(1979), 2nd(1980), 4th(1983), 5th(1974), 6th(1981), 7th(1985), 8th(1982)

All-Star Voting – 1st(1977), 1st(1980), 2nd(1979), 2nd(1981), 3rd(1985), 4th(1975), 5th(1983), 7th(1984), 8th(1972), 8th(1973), 8th(1982), 9th(1974), 9th(1976)

Scoring:
From 1975-1985
Points - 1st
Goals - 1st
Assists - 1st

Points – 1st(1980), 2nd(1977), 2nd(1979), 2nd(1981), 3rd(1975), 4th(1985), 5th(1983), 7th(1982), 11th(1973), 13th(1972), 13th(1976), 14th(1974), 17th(1987), 18th(1978), 18th(1986), 19th(1984)
Goals – 2nd(1979), 2nd(1981), 3rd(1977), 4th(1980), 5th(1975), 5th(1983), 8th(1982), 9th(1973), 10th(1985), 13th(1976), 17th(1978)
Assists – 2nd(1977), 2nd(1980), 3rd(1979), 3rd(1981), 3rd(1985), 4th(1975), 9th(1974), 9th(1982), 9th(1987), 12th(1972), 15th(1986), 16th(1976), 19th(1973)

Play-off Points – 7th(1977)
Play-off Goals – 5th(1976), 9th(1977), 10th(1982)
Play-off Assists – 8th(1977)

International Achievements:
Canada Cup Gold (1976)
Canada Cup Silver (1981)
2 x World Championship Bronze (1978, 1983)

IIHF Best Forward (1978)
IIHF Second Team All-Star (1983)

2 x Led Team Canada in points (1978, 1983)
2 x Led Team Canada in goals (1978, 1983)

IIHF Points – 4th(1978), 9th(1983)
IIHF Goals – 1st(1978), 4th(1983)
IIHF Assists – 3rd(1976)

Dispelling the Loser Myth

Year by year break-down

1976 – lost to Boston in 1st round. (7 games)
Boston had 113 points in a strong division, and Los Angeles had 85 points in a weak division.

Led LA in goals and points.
5th in total goals and 2nd in goals per game.

1977 – lost to Boston in the 1st round. (6 games)
Boston had 106 points, and Los Angeles had 83.

Led LA in assists and points.
7th in total points and 4th in points per game.
9th in total goals and 8th in goals per game.
8th in total assists and 4th in assists per game.

1978 – lost to Toronto in preliminary round. (2 games)
Toronto had 92 points, and Los Angeles had 77.

LA scored only 2 goals, and Dionne was pointless.

1979 – lost to New York in preliminary round (2 games)
New York had 91 points, and Los Angeles had 80.

LA scored 2 goals, and Dionne has an assists… so he was tied for the scoring lead.

1980 – lost to New York in preliminary round (4 games)
New York had 91 points, and Los Angeles had 74.

1981 – lost to New York in preliminary round (4 games)
New York had 74 points, and Los Angeles had 99.

1982 – defeated Edmonton in 1st round (5 games), and lost to Vancouver in the 2nd round (5 games)
Edmonton had 111 points, Vancouver had 77, and Los Angeles had 63.

Led LA in goals, and 2nd in points.
10th in total goals and 5th in goals per game.

1983 and 1984 – missed play-offs

1985 – lost to Edmonton in 1st round (3 games)
Edmonton had 109 points, and Los Angeles had 82.

Led LA in assists and 2nd in points.

1986 – missed play-offs.

1987 – lost to Philadelphia in 1st round (6 games)
Philadelphia had 100 points, New York had 76.

Only 1 goal and 1 assists….. but he was getting old.

Underdog Factor

Marcel Dionne played in 10 play-off series', and was the underdog 9 times. In those 9 series' as an underdog, Dionne's team finished an average of 22 points behind their opponent in the standinge!

The one series victory was over Edmonton, who finished 48 points ahead!

The Los Angeles Kings were a one line team, and pretty much a one player team. Can anyone name a defenseman from LA? How about somebody from the 2nd line?

Compared to Peers
1977-1985 Play-offs

Marcel Dionne – 20 goals and 43 points in 43 games = 1.00 PPG

Jacques Lemaire – 27 goals and 57 points in 48 games = 1.07 PPG
Bryan Trottier – 54 goals and 154 points in 148 games = 1.04 PPG
Jean Ratelle – 23 goals and 56 points in 58 games = 0.97 PPG
Doug Gilmour – 3 goals and 13 points in 14 games = 0.93 PPG
Bobby Clarke – 31 goals and 79 points in 87 games = 0.91 PPG
Rick MacLeish – 26 goals and 57 points in 66 games = 0.86 PPG

Steve Shutt – 44 goals and 83 points in 83 games = 1.00 PPG
Joe Mullen – 9 goals and 20 points in 20 games = 1.00 PPG
Mike Gartner – 7 goals and 17 points in 17 games = 1.00 PPG
Rick Middleton – 36 goals and 86 point in 88 games = 0.98 PPG
Bill Barber – 41 goals and 79 points in 84 games = 0.94 PPG
Michel Goulet – 24 goals and 47 points in 50 games = 0.94 PPG
Dino Ciccareli – 28 goals and 50 points in 57 games = 0.88 PPG
Brian Propp – 22 goals and 53 points in 60 games = 0.88 PPG

As you can see, compared to some of his high profile peers, Dionne was a solid play-off performer. He always played for garbage teams, so he always played strong opponents and got bounced early. Despite that, his per game numbers stack up respectably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Swamp Devils select a guy quite familiar with both my franchise player (Gordie Howe) and captain (Sid Abel).

The best "player's coach" of all-time:

Tommy Ivan, coach

-288-174-111 in the regular season

-36-31 in the playoffs (in an era where the playoffs were only 2 rounds – so no easy opponents to beat up on in early rounds).

-inducted into the Hockey Hall of fame as a builder in 1974

In 7 seasons with the Red Wings:
-6 first place finishes, 1 second place finish
-7 playoff appearances
-5 appearances in the finals (48, 49, 50, 52, 54)
-3 Stanley Cups (1950, 52, 54)
-2 losses in the finals (48, 49), both to the dynasty Leafs

Ivan had to constantly deal with the Wings' domineering GM interfering and breathing down his neck, so he ended up quitting as coach of the Red Wings, and moved on to GM the Blackhawks. In a few years, he turned the Blackhawks from the laughingstock of the NHL into a perennial contender.

Marty Pavelich said:
Our Coach Tommy Ivan was the guy who started the checking line routine. Ivan started "the box" for killing penalties in your own end. He did a great job. If we wouldn't have lost him, we might have won a few more Stanley Cups. I think we would have won if he stayed.

InsideHockey.com said:
Ivan was beloved in the eyes of his players. His greatest strength as a coach was his positivism, his willingness to allow his players to be creative on the ice without hamstringing their talents. Red Wing immortal Ted Lindsay told me in a 2006 interview that Ivan allowed him, Howe, and Abel to design their own line rushes and work out new tricks and combinations on the ice. Their teammates were allowed the same leeway. In return his players gave Ivan and the Detroit fans some of the greatest on-ice artistry in the history of hockey.

InsideHockey.com said:
What’s amazing about Ivan’s Red Wings was how well balanced they were offensively and defensively... During the seven glory years the Wings were always in the top two on offense and defense (leading the NHL in offense from 1948-54 and defense from 1951-53). Not only that the Red Wings as a team had many players with enormous hockey IQs. Many of Ivan’s players would go on to coach in the NHL, the minors, and in NCAA hockey as well.

One aspect of that hockey intelligence was the ability of Ivan’s Red Wings to avoid the penalty box. Unlike Montreal and Toronto who finished at the top in team penalty minutes, Ivan’s Red Wings usually finished near the bottom.

InsideHockey.com said:
Even more significant is that Ivan got clutch performances from those players who never made the headlines. It was XXX who scored the Cup-winning goal in the 1950 Stanley Cup finals. When Red Kelly was knocked out of the 1952 playoffs with an injury, blue-liner XXX took his place and performed brilliantly in games two, three, and four of the Finals. (The Red Wings 1952 Stanley Cup win has to be considered one of the greatest defensive performances in Stanley Cup playoff history—holding their opponents to only five goals scored in eight games).

Ivan is the one who put together the original Production Line, reviving the career of the aging Sid Abel, and jumpstarting the careers of Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay:

hhof said:
It was Tommy Ivan who put together the greatest scoring line in the history of the Detroit Red Wings. Ivan had been coaching in Indianapolis, the Detroit farm team, but to start the '47-'48 season he was behind the Red Wings' bench in place of XXX, whose health was better served as GM of the team. Ivan's strategy was brilliant in its simplicity. He put the best two young players on the team-and inseparable friends-on a line with the aged and iconic centreman, Sid Abel.

Abel was Hall of Fame material, and a member of the 1943 Cup-winning Wings team. He was in the twilight of his distinguished career, but Ivan knew that Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay could both bring out the best in Abel and also cover for his slowness by having two bolts of lightning on his sides.

On how Ivan held the team together in 1950, after Gordie Howe's injury knocked him out for the remainer of the playoffs:

member of 1950 Cup-winning team said:
XXX and Ivan made sure that we all were in the proper state of mind, and when I say all, I mean all of us.

Especially Ivan. He had a knack of making a fourth-line guy think he was as important to the team as Lindsay, Abel, and Howe. What Tommy did was take (Player X), a veteran right wing at the end of his career, and put him in Gordie's spot with Sid and Ted. It was the most difficut transition anyone could ask of a player, but (Player X) came through like the tropper he was.

One reason was that Tommy Ivan made (Player X) feel his contribution was as significant as anyone else's. So when he went alongside Abel and Lindsay, he did so with a lot of pride. Ivan knew how fragile the confidence factor was

Nevertheless, as hard as we tried, we missed Gordie, big-time, and the Rangers had us down three games to two and actually had us down 3-1 in Game 6. But that's when (Player X) came through and set up our second goal and then set up Abel for the game winner midway through the third period.

-From Detroit Red Wings: Greatest Moments and Players by Stan Fischler

More comments from former players:

Red Kelly said:
(Ivan) Never shouted. Never ranted and raved. Very quiet but very authoritative too. I was lucky. Tommy knew the systems and he trained you in those systems - how to play your position, where to play. I was lucky to have those kind of coaches

-from hhof.com

Member of the Red Wings from 49-55 said:
Tommy was a great coach for our team. He knew he had talent and he never interfered. He knew how to change lines and he would go with whoever his best players were on any given night.

-From Detroit Red Wings: Greatest Moments and Players by Stan Fischler

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With the 198th pick in ATD2010, The Regina Pats are proud to select:

Lanny McDonald, RW

lovin-the-stach.jpg

- 6'0", 185 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup (1989)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1986)
- Canada Cup Champion (1976)
- NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1977, 1983)
- Also 4th, 5th in All-Star Voting
- 8th In Hart Voting (1983)
- Bill Masterton Trophy (1983)
- King Clancy Memorial Award (1988)
- Top-20 in Goals 7 Times (2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 15th, 18th, 20th)
- 13th in Assists (1976)
- Top-20 in Points 5 Times (8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 15th)
- Top-12 in Playoff Goals 3 Times (2nd, 2nd, 12th)
- Top-10 in playoff points Twice (5th, 7th)
- Career Adjusted +87

loh.net said:
Lanny McDonald's hero while growing up was his father who had taught him the value of hard work and honesty on the family farm in Craigmyle, Alberta, about 22 miles from Hanna... He was rated as the Western League's most complete player in 1972-73 and led the Tigers with 18 playoff goals in 17 games... Scouts always mentioned three qualities when they described McDonald; a great shot, a good skater, and tough as nails.

...His fine showing in his 3rd season earned him an invitation to the Team Canada training camp in preparation for the 1976 Canada Cup tournament. He appeared in five games for the host country and assisted on Darryl Sittler's series-winning overtime goal against Czechoslovakia. The highlight of his Leafs career came in the 1978 playoffs when he scored in overtime of game seven to eliminate the New York Islanders and send his Leafs into the Stanley Cup semi-finals.

McDonald was known for his blistering shot off the right wing and when he took the body hard in the corners players felt the contact and remembered it. He was a tough, clean player and was named to the NHL's Second All-Star team in 1977. McDonald also played in the 1978 All-Star Game and was a member of the NHL squad that played the Soviet National Team in the Challenge Cup series in 1979 to replace that year's All-Star Game.

When he was traded to Colorado by Toronto on December 29, 1979, the Leafs' faithful showed their displeasure by picketing outside Maple Leaf Gardens. McDonald continued his superlative play in Denver and although team success eluded the Rockies he was chosen to play for Canada in the 1981 World Hockey Championships.

McDonald happily returned home to Alberta when he was traded to the Calgary Flames by Colorado on November 25, 1981. He provided the Flames with the best hockey of his career and recorded a career-high 66 regular season goals and 98 points in the 1982-83 season. He was selected for the second time in his career to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 1983 and was awarded the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for his "perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

The 1988-89 season was a banner year for McDonald; he won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, the "Bud" Man of the Year Award, scored his 1,000th point on March 7, 1989, against Winnipeg Jets, scored his 500th goal on March 21, 1989, against the New York Islanders, and won the Stanley Cup with the Flames.

McDonald scored his first NHL goal at the Montreal Forum in 1973 and scored the last goal of his career again at the Forum, in game six of the 1989 Stanley Cup finals. It was with his usual class and dignity that McDonald chose to retire from the game after the 1989 playoffs.

...Former Calgary teammate *** ********* once said, "If you want to be good inside and outside the rink, Mac's a good guy to pattern yourself after. He's first-class all the way."

Joe Pelletier said:
Lanny McDonald's bushy moustache is his trademark, but so were such characteristics as speed, work ethic, and commitment. Those traits, not really counting his facial hair, helped make him a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

McDonald arrived as the star NHL player that he was predicted to be in 1975-76. He scored 37 goals and 93 points in his break out year. He would always thank coach *** ***** for sticking with him through the lean years and helping him achieve his destiny.

McDonald started the 1976-77 season at the first ever Team Canada training camp for the Canada Cup. He admitted he was a surprise selection to the team, but he played a key role as a grinder with the likes of Bob Gainey. He picked up 2 assists and a lot of respect on the team many agree is the greatest team ever iced. He followed that up with a spectacular season with the Leafs. He scored 46 goals and 90 points to lead the team, plus scored 10 goals and 17 points in an exciting playoff season which lasted 9 games.

McDonald's greatest moment as a Leaf came in 1978. Coming off of a 47 goal, 87 point season, McDonald was ready to again lead the Leafs in the post season. His scoring totals were way down (he scored 3 goals and 7 points in 13 contests), but he was a star most nights. He was the brightest star in game 7 of the Leafs second round showdown with the NHL's other hot young team on the rise - the New York Islanders. In sudden death over time McDonald - sporting a broken nose and a broken bone in his wrist - fought through a crowd in front of the net to poke a loose puck past Isles' goalie *** *****. McDonald's goal ranks as one of the Leafs greatest playoff moments in the illustrious history of the franchise.

...If McDonald isn't remembered as a Leaf, he certainly is remembered as a Calgary Flame. Born in southern Alberta, returning home turned out to be a great thing for Lanny. The Flames would rise to the top of NHL elite for much of the 1980s, thanks in large part to the contributions of Lanny McDonald.

McDonald enjoyed his greatest season in 1982-83. Playing with underrated super star *** *********, McDonald unthinkably challenged Wayne Gretzky for the NHL goal scoring total. Gretzky would end up with the crown thanks to his 71 goals, but McDonald wasn't far behind with an overachieving 66. It was simply an amazing season for McDonald. Everything he touched turned to gold that year. He was honored with the 1983 Bill Masterton Trophy as well as a second all star team nomination.

McDonald's goal scoring would slow over the following years, but he remerged in the 1985-86 playoffs. As co-captain of the Flames, McDonald led the Flames to the Stanley Cup finals against the Montreal Canadiens thanks to 11 goals and 18 points. After finally knocking off their rivals from the north - Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers - in a dramatic 7 game playoff series that many would argue was the greatest playoff series ever played, the Flames seemed to run out of gas against a Montreal team that they should have been able to beat.

The Flames would get another chance in 1989 when the Flames returned to the finals and again faced the Montreal Canadiens. By this time McDonald was definitely near the end of his career. For three seasons he became more of a third or fourth liner who was present for his leadership. It was a good year for McDonald nonetheless. He recorded his 500th goal, 500th assist and 1000th point all in the same season. Then in the playoffs the Flames would not be denied and finally captured the Stanley Cup championship. McDonald scored just one goal in that playoff year - in the decisive 6th game of the Finals!

McDonald, one of the classiest gentlemen to ever play in any sport, retired as a champion shortly following the Cup victory.

Kings Of the Ice said:
A blazing shot and an uninhibited enthusiasm for the game were two of the multitude of positive qualities associated with Lanny McDonald. He could skate, shoot, win battles in the corners, and lead by example on the ice or in the dressing room. McDonald was a consummate professional whose quick release helped him score 500 career goals.

On the international stage, McDonald excelled in a defensive role for his country when the Canadian team won the Inagural Canada Cup tournament in 1976. In fact, although he was a prolific scorer, the upbeat winger relished the chance to shut down the top line on the opposition when required. His quick release and wrist strength remained the traits that caused goalies the most headaches.

...Through the remainder of the 1980s, McDonald provided unselfish play and superb checking on one of the league's most powerful teams. An invaluable leader, he served as co-captain at various times. While McDonald evolved into a valuable role player in the latter stages of his career, the Flames emerged as a league powerhouse.

Ultimate Hockey said:
Hugely popular... noted for his generosity to his teammates.

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Ever Played in the NHL said:
developed into a superstar scorer known for his great shot and his physical, no-nonsense style of play... never was a player more deserving of cup glory than McDonald was... Hockey is better for having him in the loop.

Total Hockey said:
His skill and sportsmanship made him one of the most popular players in the game...

Hockey In the Seventies: The Game We Knew said:
A tough winger with a great shot... The Leafs foolishly traded him...

Honoured Members said:
One of the good guys of the game... trademark snap shot from the right wing... though his numbers diminished in his later years, his powers of leadership did not... No finer image of McDonald's career can be recaled than the teary-eyed 36-year old holding the Stanley Cup high above his hear the night he played his last game.

Maple Leaf Legends said:
McDonald was the 2nd-best RW in the league, after Guy Lafleur... Legendary coach Scotty Bowman recognized McDonald as one of the most complete players in the game and saw that he played flat out all the time... More than just a hard worker, McDonald also had a blistering slap shot... Strongly built, McDonald was never really a fighter but did not hesitate to drop the gloves if he had to. He was a great scrapper who never gave up on a game no matter what the score... ****** traded McDonald essentially out of spite... Players with McDonald's heart and talent are just not traded away... the game had passed ****** by and this deal was all the proof anyone needed.

Toronto Maple Leafs' 50 Unforgettable Moments In Hockey said:
He was as true blue as any Maple Leaf... Owner of a superb shot and a combative attitude.

The Leafs: The First 50 Years said:
formed the highest scoring line in Leaf history... Lanny has also become an effective penalty killer.

Hockey Hall Of Fame Legends said:
had a shot like a cannon... Although a rugged, physical player, McDonald was famous for his clean play and scrupulous honestly.

Hockey All-Stars said:
Retired a grizzled and respected veteran... had a trademark wrist shot... became a crowd favourite... With his wrist heavily taped, McDonald eliminated the NY Islanders from the 1978 playoffs in overtime... McDonald captained the Rockies and then became a co-captain of the Flames... A leader both on and off the ice...

Maple Leafs: Images Of Glory said:
A solid, front-line player with a good scoring touch... had a special gift for scoring in key situations... It was his heroics in the playoffs that earned Lanny his well-deserved place in the hearts of Leafs fans. During the 1977 postseason he fired four goals in a game against the Flyers and added a hat trick in a match against the Penguins. A year later the Leafs found themselves in a 7th game with the New York Islanders. McDonald, despite a serious cut near the eye and a broken nose, insisted on suiting up and taking his regular shift. His perseverance paid off when he wristed a shot past ***** ***** to send the Leafs to the semifinals for the first time since 1967... Remains one of the best-loved players to ever wear the Maple Leaf.

Hockey: Twenty Years said:
McDonald is one of the NHL's strongest corner men and possesses a blazing slapshot... has been an important team leader for Calgary.

Forever Rivals said:
Became a fan favourite because of his inspired play on the ice...

Ken Dryden from Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories and Dreams said:
I remember most in our games the great head-to-head matchup, Lanny mcDonald and Bob Gainey, the scorer and the checker, proud, well-matched, running at eachother like mountain sheep, shift after shift, loving it.

Ken Dryden from the Game said:
Within that matchup there is another, that for me has always been the best part of a Leafs/Canadiens game. It is when Lanny McDonald and Bob Gainey play against eachother. They are two strong, proud, willful players, face to face, as if theirs is a personal test - skating, hammering at eachother with shoulders and hips, hard and often in painful exhilaration, like two well-matched fighters taking their best shots, grim, respectful, and inside, grinning with enormous pleasure. As I watch them on the ice, uncomplaining, never acknowledging the other, friends competing as good friends often do, it is as if they understand what we can only sense - that whoever wins their private contest will win the game.

A story about the impact losing Lanny McDonald had on the Leafs:

*****: A Hockey Story said:
With Sittler at war and Lanny McDonald suddenly gone, it was as though someone had come in off the street and pulled down the walls of my house. I used to think that McDonald, Sittler and I had everything. McDonald shot the puck like a rocket... we were like the three frigging musketeers... I admided McDonald as a player and as a man... Sittler and McDonald never let me down. They were great guys.

When McDonald got traded early in December 1979, it was like a punch in the face for both Sittler and me. In fact, the reaction throughout the dressing room was one of the most emotional things I've ever seen. McDonald walked in with a piece of paper in his hand, like the pink slip you get when you get dumped from a job, and it had his flight times typed in. He didn't say anything. He just handed the piece of paper to Sittler, who read it, then started to cry. When it was clear that McDonald was on his way, other guys started to cry. It was really unbelieveable. The guys who weren't crying started throwing things around, Just off the dressing room is the room where the guys used to shave after a game. Somebody hurled cans of shaving cream all over the place. For about five minutes, we just went on a rampage. The whole goddamned club was breaking up, it seemed.

The Leafs: An Anecdotal History said:
If Guy Lafleur hadn't been around, McDonald may have been the premier right winger of the 1970s.

Countdown to the Stanley Cup said:
Adding McDonald to the roster brought two key ingredients to the room - credibility and respectability... His experience and leadership qualities showed themselves on and off the ice immediately.

The Eternal Flames said:
Finally, the miracle for the classy guy. A champion in the truest sense of the word who put his body on the line throughout his career...

Lanny was balls to the wall, even in a scrimage:

Sittler said:
I think we have an unspoken faith in eachother. Lanny McDonald is truly a genuine guy, down to earth, sincere, a character with a big heart... He's a one-of-a-kind type of guy and has the dependability and generosity inside that make him a friend for life... What I valued most, as a hockey player and as a friend, was Lanny's strength...In order to be successful as a captain, you need the support of your teammates...Lanny was that type of player... Lanny was our team's backbone - tough as nails outside, and soft as mush inside.

(During the 1976 Canada Cup training camp) Lanny made a lot of enemies in the French media during an intra-squad game when he hit Serge Savard with a solid and legal body check. Savard sustained a leg injury, though he came back to play. The way the Montreal media played it up you'd swear that Lanny was working for the KGB with a mission to take out as many true-blue Canadian hockey players as he could before he was sent bpacking back to Toronto when the "serious 25" players were named to the official roster.

Lanny: The Autobiography said:
For Team Canada, I was a role player. There were other people there to do the scoring. Early in the Sweden game, I missed a check, and coach made sure I heard about it. "Look, that guy is going to be standing at the point all day long," he said to me. "If you run him over once, he won't be there any more." They wanted me to help give the team a physical presence, and coach made sure I knew my role. From that point on, I played a more physical role. I realized what I was there to do.

I'll never forget a comment from Mike Bossy towards the end of that season. It was just after a game against the Islanders; The Rockies were headed for the golf course, the Islanders destined for another cup.

"Lanny," Bossy said. " I just have to tell you something. Scoring 35 goals for the Colorado Rockies is like scoring 50 goals anywhere else."

Practice makes perfect:

I also knew *** ********, mainly from the Leafs/Flyers wars. I must admit I got to know him in a way I wouldn't suggest. I remember fighting *** three times in a single game. At the end of a period, a brawl started, and I stepped in to help, and out of nowhere, *** came charging in and we fought. After the fight, Darryl said "Well, you lost that one. You're going to have to fight him again." Later, when a linesman had gone to break up another altercation, *** and I were standing there eyeing eachother and we started again. It seemed like the thing to do. When they broke us apart, Darryl commented. "That one was a standoff, I think you can take him the next time." We went for a third round. Afterwards, Darryl told me, "You're batting .500, Mac. I think you won the last one." "You don't fight bad," I said to ***, exhausted as only a hockey fight can make you. "You fight pretty good yourself; you must be a westerner", *** said.

Some examples of what else McDonald brought to the team besides goals:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette said:
Perhaps Lord Stanley's favourite piece of silverware brings out the beast in the Maple Leafs. Or, as new-found enforcer Lanny McDonald would later laughingly put it, "The hell with finesse, just bowl 'em over!"... And that is precisely what the Maple Leafs did to the mild-mannered Penguins last night... McDonald, the toothless and tough forward, set the tone of the game in the first three minutes. After his centreman Darry Sittler had wiped out ****** ******** along the boards in the opening minute, Lanny McDonald knocked down his namesake. Then McDonald knocked down *** **********. Then **** *****. Then a couple other Penguins. Then, probably for a change of pace, McDonald knocked in what proved to be the game winner in the second period... McDonald then went back to banging heads... McDonald had worn an inch or two off his shoulders trying to smear various Penguins into the paint along the boards...

Ottawa Citizen said:
Would any preseason selector have picked McDonald to be outscoring Gretzky and the rest of the sharpshooters at this point in the season? "If they told me that I'd have thought they were either on a little bit of dope or had a good buzz on from the night before", McDonald said. "He's having just an outstanding season," said coach *** *******. "He's not just a goal scorer, he's our most physical forward. He's just a real plus to this hockey club."... McDonald has always been a prime example of a steady, hard-working winger who leads by example. "If I show some of the young guys something with the work ethic or whatever, great. I'm always willing to pitch in and if a guy is having problems, try to help him. I enjoy it, I think it's part of the older guys' responsibility."

Beaver County Times said:
**********, Lanny McDonald and John Tonelli, the oldest line in the NHL, played like youngsters all night, setting the hard-working example early and contributing the bulk of the scoring.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said:
Lanny McDonald, the 36-year old captain of the Calgary Flames, looked like a bearcat out on the ice, wrestling and trading punches with Los Angeles defenseman Jim Wiemer, eight years his junior... "I know he got the call from the bench," said McDonald. "That's fine, if that's the way they want to play, no problem."

Pro Hockey Handbook 1978 said:
Blossomed into truly feared scorer last season... hardly shy, he ranked third among Leafs forwards in penalties...

Pro Hockey Handbook 1979 said:
His shot is rated as the second-hardest in the league behind only Richard Martin... From the old mold, he plays hurt without complaining... He played for several weeks with a badly bruised shoulder, relying on a wrist shot instead of the slapshot... In the playoffs, he cracked a bone in his wrist and played with the wrist frozen.

Pro Hockey Handbook 1980 said:
Owns hard, heavy wrist and slap shots... A strong checker...

Pro Hockey Handbook 1981 said:
Swift, smooth skater who also owns one of the hardest shots in the league... strong checker... clutch player.

Pro Hockey Handbook 1982 said:
One of the league's premier players, and the team's leader... High quality winger... strong, fast skater, top bodychecker, good defensively, and owner of one of the game's best shots...

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1983 said:
Owns a superb shot, is a hard worker and a strong checker... splendid team player... among the best at delivering the clean, open-ice bodycheck.

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1984 said:
strong all-around player...

Hockey Scouting Report 1986-87 said:
McDonald's signature has always been a booming slapshot from the starboard side. McDonald still uses that weapon effectively... He is a scorer and can do it from almost anywhere in the offensive zone... A valued member of the Flames' powerplay... will willingly give the puck to an open teammate... makes good hits in the corners and is very strong, able to keep his check out of the play... strong on his skates and that balance brings him out of collisions vertically and ready to make plays... McDonald is a leader for the Flames and they have a tremendous amount of respect for him, as does most of the NHL. He is a tireless worker, dedicated and determined and he doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. He is a great team man... One of the game's true gentlemen, also a remarkably complete player, physically and mentally, offensively and defensively.

The Complete Handbook Of Pro Hockey 1987 said:
One of hockey's most personable and identifiable characters... a hard worker on the ice, who doesn't mind upsetting his opponents with a word or deed...

Hockey Scouting Report 1987-88 said:
Lanny remains a strong skater, but knee injuries have robbed him of some speed... still has good balance... still uses his signature slapshot effectively... Lanny still commands the qualities of hockey sense and anticipation... A good passer who is unselfish and uses his teammates well... plays a conscientious defensive game and is a very smart, very effective hockey player... A very tough hockey player... a dedicated athlete and a character player... continues to enjoy the game and to work at it, and that effort has earned him respect.

Hockey Scouting Report 1988-89 said:
Won't beat many NHL defensemen any more... He retains the balance he's always had, in that he still uses that attribute in his physical game... There's no doubt that McDonald's career-long willingness and ability to play a physical game are big reasons for his decline... He's always been a very tough hockey player, grinding it out and banging along the boards at both ends of the ice, and he still makes good hits in the corners... His balance and strength on his feet have always served him in this regard, and they continue to do so now. McDonald will take the abuse when he goes to the front of the net and will certainly give it back. He is also unafraid to throw his fists... He's always been a character individual...

February 17th said:
Best Shot - Guy Lafleur (Mike Bossy, Lanny MacDonald)
Hardest Shot - Lanny MacDonald (*** ********, Reed Larson, ***** ****, Denis Potvin)

Players Poll taken before 1980-81 season said:
Best Right Wing: 1 Guy Lafleur 2 Mike Bossy 3 Lanny McDonald
Best Wrist Shot: 1 Lanny McDonald 2 Denis Potvin 3 Danny Gare

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: