ATD 12 Jim Robson Division Semi-Final: 1 Inglewood Jacks vs. 5 St. George's Garaga

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
INGLEWOOD JACKS

GM: arrbez

Coach: Jacques Demers
Assistant: Rudy Pilous

Frank Mahovlich - Frank Nighbor - Babe Dye
Doug Bentley - Vladimir Petrov - Danny Gare
Alf Smith - Bobby Holik - Floyd Curry
Eddie Shack - Ken Linseman - Wilf Paiement
Extra: Brian Rolston - Pierre Turgeon - Tony Granato
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin

Doug Harvey - Jimmy Watson
Babe Siebert - Jim Schoenfeld
Jack Laviolette - Goldie Prodger
Extra: Yuri Fedorov - Jay Bouwmeester

Hap Holmes
Tom Barrasso
Extra: Olaf Kolzig

Special Teams
PP1: Mahovlich-Petrov-Dye-Harvey-Siebert
PP2: Bentley-Nighbor-Smith-Laviolette-Prodger
PK1: Nighbor-Gare-Harvey-Schoenfeld
PK2: Curry-Smith-Watson-Siebert​

VS

ST. GEORGE'S GARAGA

GM: Zamboni Mania
Head Coach: Pat Quinn

eg Noble - Nels Stewart - Guy Lafleur
Billy Burch - Jacques Lemaire (A) - Jack Darragh
Kirk Muller (A) - Marty Walsh - Jack Marshall
Georges Mantha - Glen Skov - Rejean Houle
Garry Unger, Brian Skrudland

King Clancy (C) - Sylvio Mantha
Neil Colville - Dollard St. Laurent
Bullet Joe Simpson - Ed Van Impe
Allan Cameron

Turk Broda
Vladimir Dzurilla

Callups:
F: Shorty Green, Alex Shibicky, Dave Schultz, Olivier Seibert, Jack Marks
D: Fred Lake​

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Guess I'll start....

One thing that jumps out at me is that I think my second line will make an excellent match against St. Georges' top line. Down the middle Petrov isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's faster than Stewart, and was quite heavy at over 200lbs (in the 70's). We all know that Gare is a fantastic defensive player, and I think a nice match against Reg Noble. And while you can never completely stop a guy like Lafleur, I at least a have a guy who can skate with him in Doug Bentley (also known as an excellent defensive winger). On top of ranging from good to great defensively, my second line has some serious offensive pop as well. On top of his Art Ross, Bentley led the NHL in goals twice, and assists twice (in 4 separate seasons). Vladimir Petrov led the Soviet League in scoring 5 times (more than anyone but Makarov). He also led the World Championships in scoring 4 times. As the lesser offensive player of the three, Danny Gare was still very impressive, twice scoring 50 and placing 1st and 5th in goal scoring while playing exclusively on a checking line. I have confidence in all of my lines to play in any situation, but i'll look to use home-ice to my advantage and try to get that matchup when possible in this series.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
While I don't buy Petrov being anything more than average defensively (it wasn't until after the Summit Series that he's been said to become a more complete player), I do like that matchup against the first line.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
While I don't buy Petrov being anything more than average defensively (it wasn't until after the Summit Series that he's been said to become a more complete player), I do like that matchup against the first line.

Well, he was 25 during the Summit Series, which I think is a reasonable age to begin rounding out one's game. I'm not suggesting Petrov is a shut-down defender, but I think he was solid defensively, and his size and strength make him a solid matchup against a similar player in Stewart. At any rate, he's hardly the defensive black hole that Stewart is.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Well, he was 25 during the Summit Series, which I think is a reasonable age to begin rounding out one's game. I'm not suggesting Petrov is a shut-down defender, but I think he was solid defensively, and his size and strength make him a solid matchup against a similar player in Stewart. At any rate, he's hardly the defensive black hole that Stewart is.

That I whole heartedly agree with. Like I said, that's a very good matchup for you in this series. Really opens up great possibilities for the first line.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Here's something I came across on Walsh recently. The Toronto Star printed profiles of the Ottawa championship team on March 21, 1911.

"Marty Walsh, centre, is the champion scorer of the National Hockey Association. Walsh is a graduate of Queen’s University, and was as an amateur one of the greatest outside wings in the Inter-Collegiate Football Union. He is 28 years old, and has been playing with the Ottawas for four seasons. Walsh, while not brilliant, is perhaps the hardest and most effective worker on the Ottawa team. He weighs 164."

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Here's something I came across on Walsh recently. The Toronto Star printed profiles of the Ottawa championship team on March 21, 1911.

"Marty Walsh, centre, is the champion scorer of the National Hockey Association. Walsh is a graduate of Queen’s University, and was as an amateur one of the greatest outside wings in the Inter-Collegiate Football Union. He is 28 years old, and has been playing with the Ottawas for four seasons. Walsh, while not brilliant, is perhaps the hardest and most effective worker on the Ottawa team. He weighs 164."

What's brilliant is that damn Toronto Star. Almost worth the 150 bucks per year for access.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I wonder how easy it would be to look up some of those old articles at the Toronto Public Library. Has anyone ever tried it before? Do they have these kind of things digitized, or microfiche?

I'd imagine that there's a wealth of information out there about the early days. Same probably goes Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I wonder how easy it would be to look up some of those old articles at the Toronto Public Library. Has anyone ever tried it before? Do they have these kind of things digitized, or microfiche?

I'd imagine that there's a wealth of information out there about the early days. Same probably goes Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc.

All those old newspaper articles are all stored at their respective cities' libraries - in microfiche format. A larger library MAY be able to import some of those archives, but I seriously wouldn't count on it. In most cases, it would likely require physically going to the libraries of those cities, fully expecting to spend a weekend or so in the library just browsing the articles and taking notes.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
All those old newspaper articles are all stored at their respective cities' libraries - in microfiche format. A larger library MAY be able to import some of those archives, but I seriously wouldn't count on it. In most cases, it would likely require physically going to the libraries of those cities, fully expecting to spend a weekend or so in the library just browsing the articles and taking notes.

Yeah, I'm living downtown now (Toronto), so I may make a go of it at some point this year. Probably just for an afternoon, unless I'm really digging up some gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad