ATD #12, Foster Hewitt Quarterfinals. Glace Bay Miners (4) vs. Trinec Steelers (5)

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Glace Bay Miners

GM: Transplanted Caper
Coach: Fred Shero
Assistant: Al MacNeil

Luc Robitaille-Dave Keon-Frank Finnigan
Esa Tikannen-Pat Lafontaine-Ed Litzenberger
Dennis Hull-Orland Kurtenbach-Tod Sloan
Mike McPhee-Bill Hay-Mike Foligno
Ron Stewart

Nicklas Lidstrom-Dit Clapper
Jack Crawford-Bill Barilko
Tommy Anderson-Weldy Young
Pekka Rautakallio

Frank Brimsek
Paddy Moran

Call Ups

Stastny-Zezel-Stastny
Juzda-Cote

Vokun

vs.

Trinec Steelers

GM: Reds4Life
Coach: Al Arbour
Assistant Coach: Luděk Bukač

Alex Ovechkin - Igor Larionov(A) - Vladimir Martinec
Cy Denneny - Mike Modano - Claude Lemieux
Brenden Morrow - Ryan Getzlaf - Trevor Linden
Kirk Maltby - John Madden - Samuel Pahlsson

Eddie Shore(C) - Vitaly Davydov
Borje Salming(A) - Vladimir Konstantinov
Ulf Samuelsson - Gary Bergman
Gennady Tsygankov

Rogatien Vachon
Chris Osgood

Slava Kozlov, F
Vladimir Zabrodsky, F
Karel Gut, D
Jaroslav Jirik, F
Jiří Králík, G
Vladimír Růžička, F
PJ Axelsson, F

PowerPlay Unit 1:
Getzlaf - Larionov - Martinec
Ovechkin - Shore

PowerPlay Unit 2:
Denneny - Modano - Lemieux
Salming - Davydov

Penalty Kill Unit 1:
Morrow - Madden
Shore - Bergman

Penalty Kill Unint 2:
Axelsson - Pahlsson
Salming - Tsygakov​

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Just a note, Davydov and Tsygakov will both share first defensive pairing minutes load and both of them can handle it easily. Tsygakov will aslo play PK minutes.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
I do think I have better defense overall, you might have the best defensive player in Lidstrom, but Shore is the best overall defenseman in this series. Either Eddie or Salming will be on the ice for 50-60 minutes a game.

Keon is probably better than Larionov, but Ovechkin is better than Robitaille. Martinec and Finnigan are a wash imho.

Denneny is the best offensive player on either 2nd line and maybe overall too. Tikkanen and Lemieux are not legit 2nd liners, but Claude is a playoff demon. Lafontaine and Modano are probably a wash, maybe slight offensive edge to Lafontaine, but Modano is better defensively.

Kurtenbach is a big guy but so is Getzlaf, though Getz is a lot better offensive player. Morrow and Linden are both tough, high-character guys willing to do anything for the team. Your 3rd line wingers are good too, especially Sloan is a really tough guy. Once again, though I think I do have an offensive edge here.

My 4th line is purely defensive line and I do not expect much offense from them. All of my 4th liners are Cup winners. Maltby is gritty and has great shot, Madden is a very fast skater with exceptional defensive skills and Pahlsson is really great defensive player and was awesome in 07 playoffs for the Ducks.

Lidstrom - Clapper vs Shore - Davydov/Tsygakov
This is quite close imho, but Shore is the best and will make a difference. Davydov and Tsygakov are both really solid and playing alongside all-time great like Shore will only make them better.

Crawford - Barilko vs Salming- Konstantinov
I do have an edge here imho. Once again I have the best defenseman on either 2nd pairing in Salming. Barilko is tough but so is Konstantinov.

I do have tougher and more physical 3rd pairing. Samuelsson is, despite all the bad stuff he has done, an excellent defensive player.
Bergman is imho one of the best 3rd pairing defenseman in the entire draft.

You have the edge in goal, but it is not as big as one might think. If Vachon plays poorly then Steelers can rely on multiple Cup winner and a proven playoff winner, Chris Osgood.

I think my team is more physical, slightly better defensively and more potent offensively. And I do have a better coach ;)

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Eddie Shore doesn't fit into Al Arbour's system. It's not a good team for Arbour at all. I can't really explain why, but I just thought I'd come in and say that. :sarcasm:

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Eddie Shore doesn't fit into Al Arbour's system. It's not a good team for Arbour at all. I can't really explain why, but I just thought I'd come in and say that. :sarcasm:

Yeah, thanks for the comment :)

I still think Tarasov is not an ideal coach for your team, though ;)

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think glace bay probably has a better defensive team. glace bay has better goaltending.

trinec is a significantly better offensive team, imo, and has better scoring depth.

big concern for glace bay is scoring. only a few of glace bay's players were great scorers, and one of them, lafontaine, was often injured. i also think the F's are not arranged to get the most offense from them.

big concern for trinec is penalties.
trinec has a very physical team, but several of trinec's players, including at least half the D corps, were prone to penalties.
glace bay is not an offensive juggernaut, so PP is probably a very important source of scoring.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
i think glace bay probably has a better defensive team. glace bay has better goaltending.

trinec is a significantly better offensive team, imo, and has better scoring depth.

big concern for glace bay is scoring. only a few of glace bay's players were great scorers, and one of them, lafontaine, was often injured. i also think the F's are not arranged to get the most offense from them.

big concern for trinec is penalties.
trinec has a very physical team, but several of trinec's players, including at least half the D corps, were prone to penalties.
glace bay is not an offensive juggernaut, so PP is probably a very important source of scoring.

Yeah, but Steelers' physical play will also frustrate Glace Bay players into taking penalties and will wear them down as series progresses. It is a double edged sword, for sure and it is up to the voters to decide :)

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Denneny is the best offensive player on either 2nd line and maybe overall too. Tikkanen and Lemieux are not legit 2nd liners, but Claude is a playoff demon. Lafontaine and Modano are probably a wash, maybe slight offensive edge to Lafontaine, but Modano is better defensively.

Don't sell Denneny short now. He seems to get underrated around here for speed (which I was hoping to take advantage of to get him late but, alas, it was not meant to be) but fact is, he'd be one of the best LW's on a top line- certainly at least top-10 amongst LW's (not that I necessarrily suggest switching him with Ovechkin, because I don't think there is a better 2nd line LW out there). Denneny is definetly top-100 all-time to most, I think; the rest of the 2nd liners, not so much. He's definetly the best overall second liner here, I think.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Huh ;)
I am happy Steelers made it to the semis though this was very close and could have gone either way. Thanks for the series and I hope to see you in the next ATD :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wait.... I just don't get this one.
I thought it would be over in 5, but I could actually have gone in 4!!!!
Oh well, good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad