ATD #12 Bio Thread

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
This is mostly self-serving, but as you can't edit posts in locked threads, I thought I'd bring back an ATD staple- the bio thread. Post them here in any order and link to them in your roster post.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Good idea. I probably won't personally use it because I am so used to using the ATD threads (and they'd get more exposure there anyway) but it will be nice to have a good, concentrated source of player bios.

In fact, just to help the cause, maybe I'll post all my bios again in this thread so that they're there. This will help every player's body of knowledge get built up for posterity, which is only a good thing.

By the way, two drafts ago I started linking to my roster posts in the roster thread and last draft EB joined me. This time around, Leafs Forever and overpass have begun doing it as well. It's all guys who spend a good amount of time on their bios and want them to be readily accessible. Kudos, guys. I hope this catches on.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm not sure which you are referring to. bios posted in the draft thread? Surely when you say "confusing" you can't be referring to that.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Yeah, I am. It's confusing to see big bolded entries on already drafted players in the draft thread. It looks like a selection when I'm scrolling through trying to get caught up.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure which you are referring to. bios posted in the draft thread? Surely when you say "confusing" you can't be referring to that.

I've done a double-take on numerous occasions when I see Player X (selected in round 7) being introduced as "The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to select XXX XXXX"...in round 15. It's definitely a minor inconvenience IMO, but I've often been left thinking for a few seconds before I realize: "How the **** did I skip over this guy for 6-7 straight rounds?"

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I love the bios and think they are going to be really useful when it comes time to compare teams, at least in the playoffs.

But it is pretty confusing when they come up in the main thread several rounds after a guy was picked.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I love the bios and think they are going to be really useful when it comes time to compare teams, at least in the playoffs.

But it is pretty confusing when they come up in the main thread several rounds after a guy was picked.

It does get confusing when someone posts the bio for a player they drafted 7 rounds ago. And it makes me go read through it fast. If you dont post the bio when you first draft him or a little bit after then just post it in your roster post. That's what i've been doing anyways since its hard to keep up with the bios.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Question: Would you folk be less critical of these late bios if they were preceeded by "These bios are for players picked long ago" or something to that affect, and than posted the bios right under that?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Question: Would you folk be less critical of these late bios if they were preceeded by "These bios are for players picked long ago" or something to that affect, and than posted the bios right under that?

Maybe if they are for picks that are more than a few hours old, they could just be posted in this thread?

I doubt many people read bios for guys that were picked several rounds ago the first time they are posted.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Yes, it is.

I wish they would start with "Team x was pleased to draft in the 6th round..." or some other indication of the past tense.

I'm fine with something like this. It's not that big of a deal really. It's just hard to rememeber what page the bio was on if you ever want to go back and look. But I do enjoy reading the bios and you guys do some excellent research.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I love when people post bios on the draft threads. At the end my biggest fun in the ATD is to learn about the players, so when someone post a big bio on a player I might be less accustomed to, I'm thrilled.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I myself do not like picks without bios.

I love piecing together mini bios to highlight my picks. It is fun and interesting. Good to know that some here are annoyed by there entry and don't even read them but .go on and on and ramble through the the draft about their players and their draft buddy's players

I say lay it all on the line when you make your draft selection or pit a mini bio or in the roster thread.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've done a double-take on numerous occasions when I see Player X (selected in round 7) being introduced as "The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to select XXX XXXX"...in round 15. It's definitely a minor inconvenience IMO, but I've often been left thinking for a few seconds before I realize: "How the **** did I skip over this guy for 6-7 straight rounds?"

If that's your biggest problem in the draft, then you're laughing. So you did a double-take and got confused for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure you'll recover from your confusion. And Nalyd, I'm pretty sure you'll recover from the two extra spins on the scroll wheel and catch up a mere two seconds after you otherwise would have if the bio wasn't there.

I love when people post bios on the draft threads. At the end my biggest fun in the ATD is to learn about the players, so when someone post a big bio on a player I might be less accustomed to, I'm thrilled.

It is the highlight of the draft for me. Every draft we get another step closer towards collecting all available info on each player.

I take player bios seriously. They are useful from a player pimping standpoint but that's not the main aspect of it. This is my chance to shine as a researcher and present my findings to the group; to make a case for the player. In the ATD the average player bio takes me probably 90 minutes to put together. Some more (see Tommy Phillips last draft), some less (see anyone I have selected in the past and therefore have the info at my fingertips) - Having them all linked up, not just from me, but from the other members who have started doing it, has been slowly turning this ATD section from a drafting and discussion board into a concentrated player information archive.

It's pretty disappointing to read that some people have an expectation of us to post player bios at the time of picking. Yeah, I could use up my whole clock putting together a bio, I guess. I'd be quite the *****, but I could do it that way, I suppose.

Realistically, we all want the draft to move along quickly. And we all have lives. The only way to post comprehensive bios is to make your pick as soon as it's your turn, and then post your bio as soon as your life allows you to. If that's two weeks, so be it. If you don't want to read it, move along. It's there for future reference, whether it is for use in playoff arguments, or for the information of the next person considering picking him next draft.

The best reason to have a bio thread isn't to get them away from anti-player-bio people, it's to consolidate the information and have the bios in a thread that won't one day be locked for editing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
But why post them there if there is a better more organized option?

I don't think it is necessarily better. If anything, I think the two should be used in tandem. I wouldn't want to just completely stop posting bios in the draft thread. Maybe there are those who, as a rule, don't read them, but there are also those who otherwise wouldn't see them if they weren't there in the draft thread.

I mean, we all post for a reason, right? We all want to be heard.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Use both! You can't go wrong. No one ever said you had to use one thread or the other, and no one ever said you couldn't use one or the other.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
This forward provided speed, consistency and an exemplary work ethic during an NHL career spent entirely with the Chicago Black Hawks, where he was best known as the fleetest member of the potent Scooter Line with Stan Mikita and Ab McDonald.-LOH

He was lightning-quick and masters of timing his move at the opposition blueline so that he seldom caused an offside. Once a Mikita pass found him, his puck control was among the best in the business.-LOH

He was also a tenacious worker who could put in some finesse into the game when needed. Ken also was one of the most accurate shooters in the NHL. He constantly finished among the top ten in shooting accuracy, leading the entire league in 1963-64, scoring on over 20 % of his shots.-Joe Pelletier

With our 13th selection, the Cairo Desert Dogs proudly select..

KEN WHARRAM!

Awards and Achievements
1 x Stanley Cup (1961)
2 x First Team All-Star (1964, 1967)
1 x Lady Byng Trophy (1961)

Top 20's
Goals- 20th(1963), 2nd (1964), 11th(1965), 14th(1966), 3rd (1967), 17th(1968), 15th(1969)
Assists- 20th(1961), 15th(1964), 11th(1967), 9th(1968), 20th(1969)
Points- 6th(1964), 4th (1967), 9th (1968), 17th(1969)

Top 10 Playoffs
Playoff Goals- 6th(1961)
Playoff Assists- 4th(1961), 8th(1963)
Playoff Points- 7th(1961)

Biography
Ken Wharram began his NHL career in 1958-59, after four stellar seasons in the AHL, a career that he would spend entirely in Chicago. With his great speed, work ethic, and accurate shot, he was able to find a great niche on the "Scooter Line" with Stan Mikita.

He would contribute well to Chicago's stanley cup victory in 1961, and from there his success would continue on the "Scooter Line".

Ken Wharram would blend very well on this line, which would terroize oppisition throughout the league in the late 1960's. He would be rewarded with two first team all-star births (both over Gordie Howe!) for his outstanding work on the line.

Wharram was looking better than ever during the 1969 camp when he was attacked by myocarditis, a virus that attacks the muscles of the heart with symptoms similar to a coronary, and was forced to retire, tragically robbing hockey of a few more seasons from this great hockey player.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
A tremendous playmaking center and smooth skater, he was one of the NHL's best forwards during the late 1940s. Blessed with exceptional lateral mobility and an effortless skating style, he was a brilliant penalty killer and determined checker. Laprade could also score and was one of the league's most dangerous skaters on the counterattack-LOH

Known as "Beaver" because of his hustle and work ethic on the ice, Laprade was known as a aggressive but very clean player-Joe Pelletier

He was worth the wait and was quickly nicknamed "Beaver" by his colleagues as a tribute to his industrious work ethic-LOH

He was a tremendous defensive player as well, making him one of the greatest two way centers in NHL history. A strong back checker and prolific penalty killer, Laprade perfected the "poke check" as an effective strategy.-Joe Pelletier

An outstanding playmaker, he was the National Hockey League's premier checking centres during an era when defensive forwards were overshadowed by the exploits of the goal scorers.-LOH

He proved to be an excellent penalty killer and dogged checker. But the two-way centre could also score, contributing 108 goals and 172 assists for 280 points in 500 regular season games-LOH

With our 14th selection, the Cairo Desert Dogs proudly select, the man to centre our two-way third line...

EDGAR LAPRADE!

Top 20's
Goals- 19th(1949), 12th(1950)
Assists- 14th(1946), 12th(1947), 3rd(1948), 13th(1952)
Points- 19th(1946), 20th(1947), 12th(1948), 17th(1950)

Playoff Goals- 8th(1950)
Playoff Assists- 6th(1948), 3rd(1950)
Playoff Points- 10th(1948), 5th(1950)

Biography
Before beginning his NHL career, Laprade would dominate the Thunder Bay Senior League during the war years. He would join the canadian forces in 1943 and would play for various millitary hockey teams.

Despite the efforts of both the Rangers and Canadiens. Laprade would not join the NHL until 1945-46, when he debuted with the Rangers. He would be worth the wait, and would not take long to make an impact, being awarded the Calder trophy.

Following the 48-49 season, he would share the Rangers MVP award with Chuck Rayner, and would win it outright the next year, when he led his team in scoring.

It was in the 1950 playoffs that the Rangers came closest to a Stanley Cup win. Facing a Detroit team minus star forward Gordie Howe, Laprade would score 3 goals in the series. But it would not be enough, as New York lost a heartbreaker in overtime in the 7th game.

Laprade would have a few more productive years before retiring in 1955, leaving behind a legacy good enough to geth im inducted to the hockey hall of fame in 1993 in the veteran categories, for his many years of great defensive and two-way play.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If that's your biggest problem in the draft, then you're laughing. So you did a double-take and got confused for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure you'll recover from your confusion.

It's not a problem for me, at all. Just pointing out that I understand how it could possibly be for some others, although IMHO again it's not really that big a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad