ATD #11, Bob Cole Quarterfinals. Regina Pats (2) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (7)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Regina Pats

Coach: Tommy Gorman

Aurel Joliat - Darryl Sittler (A) - Guy Lafleur
Tommy Phillips - Norm Ullman - Odie Cleghorn
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A)
Harry P. Watson - Jack Adams - Bobby Schmautz

Sprague Cleghorn (A) - Red Horner
Lionel Conacher - Joe Simpson
Jack Marshall - Art Coulter (C)

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

Extras:
C Doug Weight
RW/D Ron Stewart
D/C/LW Goldie Prodger

vs.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Coach: Punch Imlach

#22 Shutt,LW-#4 Jean Beliveau-#8 Recchi,RW
#26 Mats Naslund #25 Nieuwendyk-89 Alexander Mogilny
#17 Bob Davidson,LW-Vincent Lecavalier,C-Rick Vaive, RW
#14 Dave Reid,LW -#11 Murray Oliver, C-#11 Bob Nevin,RW
#14 Stu Barnes,LW -#12 Eric Staal,C

#7 Tim Horton -#26 Allan Stanley
#2 Jacques Laperriere-#21 Bobby Baun
#33 Zdeno Chara-#15 Tomas Kaberle, D
Mike Milbury

#1 Turk Broda
#31 Curtis Joseph, G

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Regina team might be my favourite entry in the draft. Lots of depth, and nothing I can point too and say it's a weakness. Not sure if the Maple Leafs have the depth to handle Regina. Toronto has talent, particularly on defense...but so does Regina. Regina may not score a bunch (hell send all five Pats out there against Broda and you might not score much in a playoff game) but they also have an excellent blue line, and a great goalie in Benedict themselves that will give Toronto fits. Both teams are very solid down the middle, but the edge on the wing goes to Regina, decidely IMO, which could very well be the difference maker. It's not going to be easy scoring on either team, so any edge you can get is going to be huge. IMO that edge goes to the Pats. But there's going to be a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games in this one, and in those games there will always be a surprise or two.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Okay, well to start off, best of luck to one of my favourite posters on these boards, and may the best team win, LL.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The Regina team might be my favourite entry in the draft. Lots of depth, and nothing I can point too and say it's a weakness. Not sure if the Maple Leafs have the depth to handle Regina. Toronto has talent, particularly on defense...but so does Regina. Regina may not score a bunch (hell send all five Pats out there against Broda and you might not score much in a playoff game) but they also have an excellent blue line, and a great goalie in Benedict themselves that will give Toronto fits. Both teams are very solid down the middle, but the edge on the wing goes to Regina, decidely IMO, which could very well be the difference maker. It's not going to be easy scoring on either team, so any edge you can get is going to be huge. IMO that edge goes to the Pats. But there's going to be a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games in this one, and in those games there will always be a surprise or two.

Thanks for the post TC.

I'll add a lot more in the coming days, but just to start, a couple things:

-Just want to clarify here: TC, are you saying Regina won't score much against LL's defense + Broda, or that they won't score much at all? Because the former would be a pretty fair statement, while the latter is not, in my opinion. In the end, I feel we will win this series because of superior scoring talent and depth throughout the entire lineup.

-Gotta give credit to LL for assembling that defense. I'd say that top-5 unit is the best in the draft. Kaberle is not out of place as a ATD bottom-pairing defenseman, so it's still a solid unit overall. Milbury shouldn't be a 7th defenseman in the main draft, but still, not much to target on the back end, unless Mad Mike is slotted into the lineup for whatever reason. However, as much praise as the Leafs backend has been getting, I hope no one overlooks that Regina has as good of a unit, arguably better. One thing I'd like to kinda throw out there: Tim Horton and Sprague Cleghorn are very, very close in my honest opinion.

-How much will Beliveau be able to do on his own? Especially facing guys like Cleghorn, Horner, Coulter, Conacher, Luce, Ramsay and Gare all series long. Does Toronto have anyone that can step in and carry any of the load if/when Beliveau falters?

I'll add a lot more later, and if/when LL responds, I'll try and get a discussion going. I'm sure seventies will step in and post his thoughts sometime as well.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Regina Pats

Coach: Tommy Gorman

Tommy Phillips - Norm Ullman - Odie Cleghorn
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A)

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

Extras:
C Doug Weight
RW/D Ron Stewart
D/C/LW Goldie Prodger

vs.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Coach: Punch Imlach

#22 Shutt,LW-#4 Jean Beliveau-#8 Recchi,RW

#17 Bob Davidson,LW-Vincent Lecavalier,C-Rick Vaive, RW
#14 Dave Reid,LW -#11 Murray Oliver, C-#11 Bob Nevin,RW
#14 Stu Barnes,LW -#12 Eric Staal,C

Mike Milbury

#1 Turk Broda
#31 Curtis Joseph, G

bolded my offensive capable players
I am not saying they are not two way players but most of my offesnive minded players have over 700 career points(11)
7 have 400 goals in career or more and 3 have 500 goals scored plus

Levavlier, Staal, Jean Beliveau,Mats Naslund, Joe Nieuwendyk and Alexander Mogilny have all been the main offensive juggernaut for their teams in the playoffs leading their team to a cup!

The leafs top 4 defence of the 60' has been called the best ever assembled blueline ever and I think I have improved it by adding Laperriere

Good luck to vancity luongo and to my many atd rivals;)

Off to work i go

later folks

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Levavlier, Staal, Jean Beliveau,Mats Naslund, Joe Nieuwendyk and Alexander Mogilny have all been the main offensive juggernaut for their teams in the playoffs leading their team to a cup!

I think you're stretching things with that statement. Mogilny did jack all for the Devils in their Cup run, with just 7 points in 23 games. He was the furthest thing from an offensive juggernaut. Nieuwendyk and Lecavalier were not the leading scorers on their Cup winning teams either.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LL, I've made no secret of the fact that I like your defense corps. That's what you get when you select 5 defensemen in the first 7 rounds.

Just remember that this is the ATD, and "offensively capable" is a relative term.

Beliveau is the best regular season and playoff scorer in this series, but after him, the next four best are clearly, and easily, Lafleur, Joliat, Ullman, and Sittler... all players who will be scoring against you and not for you.

That's what you get when you select 5 defensemen in the first 7 rounds. ;)

As for talking about career totals, my boss at my last job loved to tell me "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". I don't think anyone cares who has 400 or 500 goals, or who has 700 points. Career totals are more dependent on era than anything. I'm much more interested in the fact that Beliveau was a top-10 scorer thirteen times. So focus on career totals at your own peril.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
VCL, I was just commenting on the fact I expected it that Broda is capable of stealing a game or two. Do I expect him to shut Regina down four times? Nope.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You are right, Broda is a top-half goalie who has the capability to steal a game or two. overall, I have Benedict a few spots above him, but Broda's legacy is based almost entirely on his work in the playoffs. It's only natural that he and Benedict would stage quite the duel here.

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
If the Leafs want to win this series, I think it will be on the backs of there goaltenders.

Good Luck to both though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's odd. If you tell me before a series that Team A has the best forward in the series (Beliveau), the best defenceman (Horton), the better goalie (Broda) and the better coach (Imlach), I would say team A would win. But Regina has the edge in depth up front, and while Toronto's personnel is stronger for their defence, they don't have as big of an edge on D as you might expect they would.

Even though they waited until the eighth round to get their second forward, Toronto does have a good first line, with Beliveau's all-round excellence, Recchi's multiple offensive giftings and Shutt's ability in front of the net. The second line is fine. It could be great if Mogilny consistently used his wealth of offensive talents. Third line doesn't work. Davidson doesn't fit. Fourth line's okay, although I think Dave Reid is an MLD player.

Regina's depth up front is excellent. I think Ullman's a better hockey player than Sittler, but I believe Sittler's better suited to first line duty. Those bottom three lines are capable of playing against any line in the draft - a nice thing to have when playing a team with two-and-two-thirds scoring lines.

I was going to rant about LL's over-reliance on career numbers, and his pimping of Mogilny as a key player on the Devils in 2000, but a couple guys beat me to it. For whatever reason, Mogilny's apathy and inconsistency didn't translate well to the playoffs. (He went something like six weeks between goals in 2001).

LL has two things going for him. One, he has three members of the Leafs defence from the 60s. It was an awesome defence, and LL has three guys from that. Two, he has Turk Broda. If Broda's not the best playoff goalie ever, he's right near the top of the list.

Intangible time: How much do you think Sittler would enjoy being able to "stick it" to Imlach? Those two did not get along.

It's been a tough draft for LL. Other priorities hurt his team. And that's fair. Anyone who chooses ATD over family should be shot. But he wasn't around much for the second half of the draft. You can't win when you team is assembled from a master list. It's a good team, but it's going to take a good team playing seven perfect games to beat this Regina squad.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
GBC
My home computer was down because aliant wouldn't do their job and service my ine or the fuse in the main office thus why i was offline I had access elsewhere but no surfing time to compelte my team the way i could had;)

My swan song in these drafts will end the way it is to end so be it!

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com

who will carry the puck .....who will score who wil l be able to dig the pucks away from boards from the leafs rough n tough d-corps that consists of players like horton baun chara and when needed milbury. My D is easily the best top 5 d-man group assembled in this draft!!!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- All three of them will carry the puck. I'm not worried about that.

- Joliat would be the line's corner guy. He's a feisty player and a ferocious backchecker so he will be doing the work along the boards. It's not the strength of the line but it can handle its own. Besides, there's nothing wrong with having a puck possession line. This line will control the play in the offensive zone and have an easier time making plays off the rush, than most.

- On the other three lines, I see nine forwards that can be counted on along the boards. They'll do fine. And each line has one very well-renowned boardman: Ullman, Ramsay, and Watson.

- LL, I like your D a lot, but we managed to build a corps almost as good, without overpaying. This is an advantage you could hype in most other series, but not this one.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
- Joliat would be the line's corner guy. He's a feisty player and a ferocious backchecker so he will be doing the work along the boards. It's not the strength of the line but it can handle its own.

I'm not sure I completely buy that. Joliat was very tough, but still tiny by ATD standards. Sittler can carry his own weight, and you admit that it's not the line's strongpoint, but I do think it is something of an issue. I think Ullman would have been a better fit than Sittler, and Phillips - Sittler - Cleghorn would have worked nicely, but that ship has probably sailed.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'll be damned if I let a Regina series thread get to the bottom of the list by not having any replies.

Regina's depth up front is excellent. I think Ullman's a better hockey player than Sittler, but I believe Sittler's better suited to first line duty. Those bottom three lines are capable of playing against any line in the draft - a nice thing to have when playing a team with two-and-two-thirds scoring lines.

Intangible time: How much do you think Sittler would enjoy being able to "stick it" to Imlach? Those two did not get along.

Ha. yeah, I never thought about that. Sittler couldn't possibly be more motivated than he is in this series. Imlach was the homewrecker who came in and spoiled what could have been a lifelong marriage between he and the Leafs. Sittler hasn't forgotten.

I completely know what you mean about Ullman and Sittler. Ullman is a player in my top-100, Sittler just outside my top-120. Ullman's better. But I think they fit better where they are. Having a top-5 RW and a top-7 LW means that we don't need our very best center on the line, and it allows us to make Ullman one of the top 2nd line centers in the draft. It also allowed us to wait a bit before completing that 2nd unit, no disrespect whatsoever to who we ended up with.

Sittler was key to this team. When we took Sittler, he was the last credible 1st line center left. He was the last guy left that we'd have been comfortable putting up there and displacing Ullman, who we already had. If we missed Sittler, our team would have taken a much different direction. We probably couldn't have built the Ramsay shutdown/two-way line. I completely credit VCL for this pick. He knew what this team needed.

Depth is absolutely what will crush the Leafs here. They have a better top forward, their top defenseman is a touch better than ours, but once you look further down the lineup at forward you can see the holes that will be exposed. We have a shutdown line that has demonstrated it can face the league's top units and regularly outscore them. We have tough, aggressive hall of famers on our 4th line. Those bottom two units just can't touch ours in scoring, toughness, defensive play, and clutch scoring.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure I completely buy that. Joliat was very tough, but still tiny by ATD standards. Sittler can carry his own weight, and you admit that it's not the line's strongpoint, but I do think it is something of an issue. I think Ullman would have been a better fit than Sittler, and Phillips - Sittler - Cleghorn would have worked nicely, but that ship has probably sailed.

Yeah, Sittler is definitely the "weakpoint" of that line, but that is more a testament to how good Lafleur and Joliat were, than a knock on Darryl.

Seventies touched on this above, but I think I'll add a bit more to it.

Ullman is no doubt the better player in our minds, and was originally on that top unit. However, when the opportunity arose to draft Sittler, we had to take it because it allowed for us to have two legitimate 1st line centers. Even though we felt that Ullman is better than Sittler, by moving Norm down to the second line, we basically ensured that we've have two solid scoring lines. Yeah, we could've "put all the eggs in one basket" (although that's brutally unfair to Sittler, who would still be one of the top 2nd line centers in the draft), but balancing the scoring out seems like a smarter idea, especially against a deep defense like LL's.

And to elaborate on the defense; LL is getting praise for his unit as a whole, especially the top-5. But I'd say our top-4 head-to-head comes pretty close.

We had the opportunity to take Wayne Gretzky at the start of the draft. If we had, we'd obviously have the best forward in any series. However, our defense couldn't compare at all, and it wouldn't even be close. By building up those depth picks, we were able to assemble the most badass top-4 defense (in terms of personnal) possible in a 28-team draft, IMHO. Tim Horton may be the best defenseman in this series, and he may be the toughest, but unfortunately paired with Allan Stanley, the Horns together are much more intimidating physically. Seriously, "you **** with the bull, you get the HORNS!". ;) Coulter and Conacher may not have the "star power" of guys like Baun and Stanley, but they were damn good defenseman, Conacher a high end #2 in this draft, Coulter a average #2, elite #3, IMO. Baun and Stanley get recognition for playing together with those great Leafs teams, however, someone like Coulter sometimes goes unnoticed because he was on those atrocious Rangers teams right around that time period. Had he had a supporting cast of any sort, I think he gets much more name recognition, and likely goes 50-ish spots higher.

Another thing I'd like to touch on is, which of the Leafs forwards will be given the assignment of checking our top forwards? Lecavalier? Rick Vaive on Joliat? This is the department where we have the Leafs killed. Personnal on the backend is better for the Leafs, but Regina has a far superior team defense, espeically with what I refer to as the "Buffalo line". To give an idea of how highly we think of that line, we could've picked "scorers" like Joe Mullen and Kevin Stevens for our "second line", but decided to complete the "checking unit" first. This is in my opinion, the best third line in the draft. because yes, these three are elite "checkers", but they'll chip in on offense too. Shutting down Jean Beliveau and scoring goals will be hard, but if any third line in the draft can do it, it's this trio. And even if they don't chip in on offense much, we have three other lines capable of doing that. Toronto has one. And that line will quickly be shutdown by our forwards and defense working as a collective unit. As good as Tim Horton and Turk Broda may be, they'll have a hard time stopping pucks forever without defensive contributions from guys like Lecavalier, contributions that a player like Vinny just isn't capable of.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
All right, well seeing as LL hasn't been around to get a discussion going, I figure I'll just add a couple final comments on the eve of voting day to persuade the last couple borderline voters.

The one thing we've really yet to touch on is coaching. Maybe because coaching at this level isn't really all that important (my opinion which I've made a big deal about the last couple drafts), or maybe because this is a very peculiar case.

Without taking players into consideration, Gorman and Imlach are pretty close IMO. I have them both in that "2nd tier", but obviously have Gorman higher.

Taking into factor the players each bench boss will have control over, I'd say there is no doubt Regina has the coaching advantage. This is a team greatly suited to Tommy Gorman. For starters, he has his guys like Conacher, Benedict and Cleghorn all playing major roles on the team. Second, as a motivator and a character guy, he fits in with guys like Joliat. However, unlike Imlach, he didn't push it, so he should be fine with players like Sittler.

Speaking of Sittler and Imlach, that hurts Toronto big time. Like GBC brought up, Sittler will be possessed all series, which further weakens the argument of him being the "weakest link" on our top line. Not to mention, players like Mogilny and Vaive will not handle Imlach very well. I'd actually feel bad for Vaive if I was watching this series live, poor guy would be given the assignment of checking Joliat or Lafleur and would just get embarrassed. I think this Toronto team would've been much, much better off with a players coach.

That's about all I got, so, now it's up to the voters. Good luck LL, too bad you couldn't make it online much, but family is definitely much more important. It's a shame we couldn't get much discussion going, because this series had the potential to be really fun. Ah well. May the best team win. :handclap:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Regina Pats (2) vs. The Toronto Maple Leafs (7)

Game Results:

Regina Pats: 2 - Toronto Maple Leafs: 3 OT
Regina Pats: 3 - Toronto Maple Leafs: 2
Toronto Maple Leafs: 0 - Regina Pats: 4
Toronto Maple Leafs: 2 - Regina Pats: 4
Regina Pats: 4 - Toronto Maple Leafs: 2

The Regina Pats (2) defeats The Toronto Maple Leafs (7) in 5 games.

Series Three Stars

1: Jean Béliveau - Toronto Maple Leafs
2: Guy Lafleur - Regina Pats
3: Turk Broda - Toronto Maple Leafs

Series Recap:

- While losing in an expedite way, the ''brio'' of Jean Béliveau was noticeable to many. Gros Bill played very well on a line that unfortunately didn't meshed well. Scoring 4 goals in the series, he was the main, if not only, offensive force for the Leafs.

- The first line of Joliat-Sittler-Lafleur clicked will together in this series. the rough-and-tumble Aurel Joliat score many rebound goals of shots of Guy Lafleur.

- Both goaltender played good in this series. While Broda was more noticeable, receiving 50 more shots than Benedict in this series, Clint made the few saves he had to do.

- Tommy Phillips was fabulous alongside Norm Ullman. Both of them played better than expected, and were one of the main reason why the Pats advanced in the second round in only 5 games. Even with the defensive depth of the Leafs, both of them were able to score two goals each.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well it's about time!

The series is over. But if I was in your shoes I'd want to come in and address a few points that were made, too.

I look forward to it.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I think it says you were outshot by 50 shots over 5 games. 10 per game. That's not too bad. 35-25 for example. Your D was excellent but ours was almost as good, and we had a lot more good forwards to get pucks to the net, so the totals make sense.

Thanks for the series, I wish you had been around more to discuss it.

your goalies was almost as good as well

there is no justification for such a quick series other then bias voting

My team had the best player in beliveau, the best goalie in Broda, the best defenceman in Horton best coach in Imlach. All on my team but we lost IN 5;) You had a infective not well thought out first line that would be shut down by my better more well thought out first line. Unfortunately for my team once a voting gm from the atd see's my name and i get a vote cast against me not my team

Terribly clickish and it is not ok or just.

"Gros Bill played very well on a line that unfortunately didn't meshed well."
#22 Shutt,LW-#4 Jean Beliveau-#8 Recchi,RW seems liek a fien tough first line compared to
all thosep layers carry the puck and would then be lost without the puck! The only tough player was sittler.

Highly skilled tough and goals goals goals all 3 players were comfortable with carry the puck or shooting.Naslund was well known for his determined player and would ignite a fire under moginly while cool joe did what joe did best and that's score everytime he could.They would skate circles around Tommy Phillips - Norm Ullman - Odie Cleghorn

Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A) - is this a scoring line or a defensive line because luce n ramsay suggests defence but gare suggest offense #17 Bob Davidson,LW-Vincent Lecavalier,C-Rick Vaive, RW Davidson is my defensive conscious here Lecavlier is my superstar and vaive is my goal scorer and tough guy all three players are fast .Yes Vaive was a fast player during his 50 goal yrs butt anyone who seen him after 1988 wouldn't recall that.

Bottom 5 forwards 14 Dave Reid,LW -#11 Murray Oliver, C-#11 Bob Nevin,RW #14 Stu Barnes,LW -#12 Eric Staal,C

Nevin -a hard nose corner man tireless skater and one of the top defensive wingers in the league. His nose for the net made him a valuable and consistent two-way forward.

Oliver- a tricky forward who was blessed with excellent hockey sense smart, slick, skilled centre with excellent hockey sense. Very good two-way centre and a reliable penalty killer.

Barnes -Stu rarely gets caught out of position. He can deliver admirable two way performances when the team is in need. A smart versatile forward with solid well rounded skills, relies on his quickness, anticipation and work habits.He is a well schooled penatly killer who is coveted for his abilities to kill penalties,puckhandling skills, while still using his above average finishing touch.

Dave Reid -a hardworking defensive specialist who was disciplined gritty and strong.His relentlessness paid off with a few scoring chances per game. Definitely a top penalty killing left winger on a grit line.

C Doug Weight RW/D Ron Stewart

Bobby Schmautz- never won a cup
Jack Adams -was a goal scorer not a checker
Harry P. Watson - played a defensive role in the playoffs after Davidson career started to wain.But was he defensive or offensive. The lines on this team are not very well thought out.
Weight seems to for a offensive role more then a offensive role however he did fit that role for the Carolina hurricanes championship team and it is too bad that here he is just an extra player so it may be hard for him to change roles as abitplayer

# 4 line is a defensive line right?

The first line of Joliat-Sittler-Lafleur clicked will together in this series. the rough-and-tumble Aurel Joliat score many rebound goals of shots of Guy Lafleur. Who could the pint size joliet take on in a true ATD match up ....no one.

Mike Milbury

#1 Turk Broda
#31 Curtis Joseph, G

Mike Milbury

#1 Turk Broda

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

almost as good aint good enough
#31 Curtis Joseph, G

My team has a defensive consciousness with a great top 6 D along with the greatest money goalie ever to play in the nhl in Broda.

Imlach is much more stable of a figure for a gm then gorman who left from one team to another in the early era of the nhl. Gorman may assemble a good core of players but once he is goen how wil lthey fair with whoever is in charge

I don't know if If I have answered everyone concerns because this forum went down on me while i was responding.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's really a shame that you weren't able to say all this three days ago, because then this series probably goes more than 5 games.

Even though it's over, and I should change my focus to our next series, I like you too much LL, so I'll address some of your points. :D

Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Danny Gare (A) - is this a scoring line or a defensive line because luce n ramsay suggests defence but gare suggest offense #17 Bob Davidson,LW-Vincent Lecavalier,C-Rick Vaive, RW Davidson is my defensive conscious here Lecavlier is my superstar and vaive is my goal scorer and tough guy all three players are fast .Yes Vaive was a fast player during his 50 goal yrs butt anyone who seen him after 1988 wouldn't recall that.

Our third line is our "shutdown line", but it should more aptly be called a "two-way line", because that's what it provides us. Those three play against the oppositions top line, however, like you said, guys like Gare can score with the best of them. As for your third line, if any line isn't well built in this series, I'm sorry, no offense but this is it. Lecavalier may be a "superstar" in the NHL, but in the ATD he is nothing of the sort. Beliveau, maybe, but Lecavalier is a fourth liner in this thing. Can't score enough to be a top-6 guy, isn't well rounded enough to play on a two-way or shutdown line. Davidson would've been a good defensive conscience to a fourth line, like ours for example, but again, he's outmatched in his role. If I'm correct in assuming that was the line out against our top line, he's checking Lafleur, something he would absolutely not be able to do. This is why the series only went 5 games, because our defensive forwards could stop your forwards, while yours couldn't do a thing about ours. And Rick Vaive? You say Joliat was a small pint who wouldn't be able to do anything? Despite having a size advantage, Joliat had a lot more fire than Vaive could've dreamt of, and that's why Vaive is a 2nd/3rd liner in this thing while Joliat is unquestionably a top-100 player of all time. If there was any question about our top line not being well built (and there shouldn't be), then any "advantage" you would've had from that gets counteracted by that confusing third line.

C Doug Weight RW/D Ron Stewart

Bobby Schmautz- never won a cup
Jack Adams -was a goal scorer not a checker
Harry P. Watson - played a defensive role in the playoffs after Davidson career started to wain.But was he defensive or offensive. The lines on this team are not very well thought out.
Weight seems to for a offensive role more then a offensive role however he did fit that role for the Carolina hurricanes championship team and it is too bad that here he is just an extra player so it may be hard for him to change roles as abitplayer

# 4 line is a defensive line right?

No, again, the fourth line isn't a specific defensive line, although they are definitely capable of playing that role. That line provides a bit of everything, from scoring, to leadership, to the rough and tumble stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad