North Vancouver
Montreal Canadiens
GM
: Hockey Outsider
Coach: Hap Day

Sid Smith - Bryan Trottier (C) - Pavel Bure
Esa Tikkanen - Doug Gilmour (A) - Bill Mosienko
George Hay - Dick Irvin, Sr. - B-A Gustafsson
Don Marcotte - Derek Sanderson - Ed Westfall (A)
extras: Don Lever - Tomas Sandstrom

Valeri Vasiliev - Vitali Davydov
Mark Howe - Zdeno Chara
Bill Hajt - Bobby Rowe
extra: Sandis Ozolinsh

Dominik Hasek
Gerry McNeil

Power play units:
PP1
: Sid Smith - Bryan Trottier - Pavel Bure - Mark Howe - Zdeno Chara
PP2: Dick Irvin - Doug Gilmour - Bill Mosienko - Valeri Vasiliev - Sandis Ozolinsh

Penalty killing units:
PK1
: Marcotte - Sanderson - Mark Howe - Zdeno Chara
PK2: Westfall - Gilmour - Valeri Vasiliev - Vitali Davydov

Detroit Falcons
GM
: EagleBelfour
Coach: Dick Irvin Sr.

Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov (C)
Vic Hadfield (A) - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert
Joe Klukay - Ralph Backstrom - Blair Russel
Harry Westwick - Pit Lepine - Mike Foligno
extras: Dan Bain - Lynn Patrick

Guy Lapointe - Ken Reardon
Doug Mohns (A) - Ken Morrow
Jim Neilson - Reijo Ruotsalainen
extra: Ivan Tregubov

Jacques Plante
Percy LeSueur

Power play units:
PP1: Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov - Guy Lapointe - Doug Mohns
PP2: Vic Hadfield - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert - Ken Reardon - Reijo Ruotsalainen

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Ralph Backstrom - Joe Klukay - Kenneth Reardon - Ken Morrow
PK2: Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov - Guy Lapointe - Harry Westwick

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Good luck Hockey Outsider, a strong team like always.

The holiday is all eating our free time, but I'll still try to come up with an analysm of the matchup tomorrow and come up with answers/counter arguments whenever they pop up.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Congrats for making it to the final four, EB. My vacation starts Thursday so I'll try to add some thoughts on the series starting then.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Can someone comment on this series, because I can barely find a difference.

Both teams have amazing goaltending, I have them 1A and 1B all time.

Both teams lack an elite d-man but have amazing depth. I give a slight edge to Montreal cause Vasiliev and Howe are two players I really like.

Both teams have well rounded offensive units that aren't stellar but are versatile. Detroit has a clearer distinction between checking lines and scoring lines while Montreal has 4 well rounded lines. I prefer the clear offence of Detroit, but, they are pretty equal.

And both have 2nd tier coaches, so I can't use that... (By 2nd tier, I view Bowman, Blake and Arbour as 1st tier)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Can someone comment on this series, because I can barely find a difference.

Both teams have amazing goaltending, I have them 1A and 1B all time.

Both teams lack an elite d-man but have amazing depth. I give a slight edge to Montreal cause Vasiliev and Howe are two players I really like.

Both teams have well rounded offensive units that aren't stellar but are versatile. Detroit has a clearer distinction between checking lines and scoring lines while Montreal has 4 well rounded lines. I prefer the clear offence of Detroit, but, they are pretty equal.

And both have 2nd tier coaches, so I can't use that... (By 2nd tier, I view Bowman, Blake and Arbour as 1st tier)

I don't have a lot of time to do so, but I promess monday I'll be doing a complete analyst of the matchup like I've done last serie.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I’ll be honest, I haven’t written anything about this series yet because it’s so close at every position.

Forwards.
  • I’ll grant that Detroit has an advantage on the top line, though it’s close. I have the best skater in the series in Trottier, who may be less skilled than Kharlamov but is more valuable due to his defensive play and checking abilities. Mikhailov and Bure are probably even in terms of goal-scoring, and probably even playmaking, but Mikhailov was tougher and less of a defensive liability. Petrov was better than Smith (tougher and a better scorer) though it’s worth mentioning that Petrov’s lack of speed may put him at a disadvantage in this series.
  • I have an edge on the second line. Although Gilmour and Ratelle are fairly comparable, Gilmour has a clear advantage in playoff scoring, fared better in Hart voting (2, 4, 5 vs 4) and was the better defensive player and checker. In a tough, low-scoring playoff series, Gilmour has the advantage. Hadfield and Tikkanen are both mediocre scorers in the regular season (though Hadfield had one huge season in ’72) – both are tough and physical players but Tik is better defensively and clearly superior as a playoff performer. Coincidentally, both Gilbert and Mosienko have identical top-ten scoring placements (5, 5, 7, 8, 9), both were two-time all-stars, and both were fast, clean players.
  • Both of our defensive lines are close. EB and I could both post dozens of glowing quotes about each of Marcotte, Sanderson, Westfall, Klukay, Backstrom and Russell – but I think it would be difficult to argue that either group is superior defensively (though I will concede that Backstrom gives the Falcons a slight edge offensively). These are six of the best defensive forwards/penalty killers in hockey history. (I will argue, though, that Marcotte, Sanderson and Westfall, with a combined 80 shorthanded goals, are a dangerous shorthanded threat).
  • Our two utility lines are quite different. I’ve already documented Irvin and Hay’s outstanding goal-scoring and playmaking ability at the WCHL and NHL level and feel safe saying I have the two best scorers on our respective utility lines. Lepine and Foligno give the Falcons a stronger physical presence. Given that this will be a low-scoring series features great goaltending, I feel that having two consistent top-ten scorers on my utility line will provide a significant advantage and can break the tie in a close game.

Defense
  • It looks like the Falcons have a top-heavy approach (playing their two best defensemen on one pairing) while the Canadiens have balanced 1A/1B pairings. I think the balanced approach is more appropriate for this series as both teams feature at least two dangerous scoring lines. Morrow/Mohns is a solid second pair, but it lacks an elite defender. Can they handle the speed of Mosienko or the relentless forechecking from Gilmour and Tikkanen?
  • In terms of strategy, I want the Howe/Chara pairing out with the Trottier line. Howe is the best playmaking defenseman in this series, on either team, and I want to maximize the use of his speed and passing ability. This is an ideal set-up because Trottier has proven he thrives with an elite rushing defenseman, and Bure is fast enough to keep pace with Howe on odd-man rushes. Keeping the Howe/Chara pair on the ice with Trottier makes sense defensively, as well. Admittedly Bure is not exactly a Selke contender, so I want Chara, with his sound positional play and raw strength, on the right side to cover up any of his defensive mistakes.
  • I want to match the Vasiliev/Davydov pair out with the Gilmour line. Having two excellent defensive blueliners on the ice will allow Mosienko to take maximize the use of his speed by starting aggressive rushes. It will also allow the aggressive Gilmour/Tiikanen duo to forecheck aggressively, as the Vasiliev/Davydov pair will be able to cover up if the Falcons create an odd-man rush. Vasiliev was also a good playmaker and quick skater, so he should be able to give Mosienko breakout passes and/or can join him on odd-man rushes.
  • In terms of personnel, it’s certainly close but I think I have an advantage at the top three spots. Vasiliev and Reardon are certainly close in terms of style – both were tough, aggressive shutdown defensemen though Vasiliev clearly has the edge on longevity and, by most accounts, was a great passer as well. It’s close but Howe gets the edge over Lapointe (Howe having a substantial edge in Norris trophy shares - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=550541) and Hart trophy votes; Howe is the better skater and playmaker, though Lapointe has a better shot and is more physical. Chara vs Mohns is a decisive advantage at the #3 spot – Mohns’ has the speed and longevity but Chara has a decisive edge in size, toughness and Norris trophy voting (2, 3, 4 vs 5).
  • I see Davydov and Morrow being fairly comparable (both were excellent defensive blueliners, albeit secondary players, on dynasty teams). Still, Davydov being named a six-time Soviet all-star and an MVP finalist (right behind Kharlamov) as late as 1970 indicates that he was probably better than the reliable but unspectacular Morrow.
  • Neilson and Hajt are both solid #5 defensemen (Hajt being more disciplined and better on the PK, Neilson being a bit tougher and more of a playmaker). Ruotsalainen is an outstanding skater and playmaker but Rowe was tougher and a better goal-scorer. I see the bottom two defensemen as being fairly similar.

Goaltending
  • Personally I have Hasek and Plante ranked as the two greatest goalies in hockey history. Based on the results of our Top 100 project, I’d imagine that most voters feel the same way. Both goalies are capable of stealing at least one game in this series. I’ll point out that Hasek has a slight edge in personal achievements (2-1 edge in Hart trophies and a 6-3 lead in being named the NHL’s best goalie). Plante certainly won more Stanley Cups though I think it would be difficult to argue that he was actually a better playoff performer than Hasek. I give a slight edge to Hasek as no goalie has ever had a six- or seven-year peak as good as The Dominator’s.

Coaching
  • I have a slight edge due to Day’s superior playoff record. I generally don’t believe in the “counting Cups” argument but Day won five Stanley Cups in ten years while Irvin won four in twenty-six years, a difference that is too significant to ignore. Qualitatively, Day was known as detail-oriented defensive coach, which I think is the ideal style for a series that features two teams with excellent goaltending and defense.

Intangibles
  • Both teams are #1 seeds so we each benefitted from having a first-round bye.
  • I’m not sure which team here has home ice advantage – it will be a small advantage to either the Canadiens or Falcons.

Overall
Obviously this is a close series but I think I have the edge on the 2nd and 4th line, and for the top four defensemen. I also think I have a small edge in goaltending and coaching, and this should result in a hard-fought seven-game victory.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
These began as two of my favorite teams but I like them both a lot less now than I did a month ago.

I don't see any reason why either team should win. Neither team has any attributes -- other than "wow, that's a lot of pretty solid players" -- that just jump off the page at me. Both defenses are adequate but neither are great. Both 1st lines are good, but only Trottier and Kharlamov are standout 1st liners, and both teams' top 6's have players who I don't think belong in a top 6. Both defenses have 1 player I consider a significant liability. The coaches are both good. I really like Hasek behind a less-than-stellar defense. Hasek's flamboyant style meshes better with a lousy defense than any other goaltender in history. The Kharlamov / Bure head-to-head will have a significant impact on this series. They're the only two skaters who have it in them to just go off and win the thing singlehandedly; the fact that Bure has Bryan Trottier (the best skater in the series by a substantial margin) as a linemate could be huge.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
These began as two of my favorite teams but I like them both a lot less now than I did a month ago.

I don't see any reason why either team should win. Neither team has any attributes -- other than "wow, that's a lot of pretty solid players" -- that just jump off the page at me. Both defenses are adequate but neither are great. Both 1st lines are good, but only Trottier and Kharlamov are standout 1st liners, and both teams' top 6's have players who I don't think belong in a top 6. Both defenses have 1 player I consider a significant liability. The coaches are both good. I really like Hasek behind a less-than-stellar defense. Hasek's flamboyant style meshes better with a lousy defense than any other goaltender in history. The Kharlamov / Bure head-to-head will have a significant impact on this series. They're the only two skaters who have it in them to just go off and win the thing singlehandedly; the fact that Bure has Bryan Trottier (the best skater in the series by a substantial margin) as a linemate could be huge.

I agree. I like both teams (and REALLY like one of them) but they don't really jump out at you. I compared player-for-player to the lineup of a certain prairie team that inexplicably went out in round 1, and I see 6-7 players on each squad that are better.

Bobby Rowe, a MLD9 #4 defenseman, couldn't take his team past round 2, now he's a #6 in ATD10 and gets to the semis.

One thing is for sure - goaltending has apparently gotten A LOT more important than ever before. It seemed like before, anyone who took a goalie with a high pick was seen to have wasted a chance to get a Ted Lindsay or Denis Potvin and therefore went out early. Now look who's in the conference finals - Two of the top-3 ever.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I agree. I like both teams (and REALLY like one of them) but they don't really jump out at you. I compared player-for-player to the lineup of a certain prairie team that inexplicably went out in round 1, and I see 6-7 players on each squad that are better.

Bobby Rowe, a MLD9 #4 defenseman, couldn't take his team past round 2, now he's a #6 in ATD10 and gets to the semis.

One thing is for sure - goaltending has apparently gotten A LOT more important than ever before. It seemed like before, anyone who took a goalie with a high pick was seen to have wasted a chance to get a Ted Lindsay or Denis Potvin and therefore went out early. Now look who's in the conference finals - Two of the top-3 ever.
I think it's an example of parity in this draft. I really like all the teams remaining. But I didn't have any of the final four escaping their division. I had San Fran losing to Victoria. I had Winnipeg losing to Houston. (And Houston losing to either Kenora or Kansas City. KC was my pick in that division). I had the Falcons losing to Buffalo if those teams were to meet. And I had the Canadiens as a No. 3 behind the other Montreal teams.

When I made the comment after my last series, it was because the teams that I viewed as the ones to beat - the Maroons, the Scouts and the Bisons - were already out, and the other team I viewed as a top test, the Secrets, were about to be dispatched.

Last draft, Buffalo was the class of the draft. Period. Besides my own team, the only other team that I thought would give the Bisons a seven-game run was reckoning's team. This draft, I think there were probably 10 to 12 teams who were someone's team to beat. (Beyond their own, of course).

I think Montreal's the best team remaining, but I didn't even view them as the second-best team in their division.

Not only do you have two of the top three goalies ever, you have three of the top four. I think it's reflective that some GMs weren't happy that a team with Harry Lumley won the last ATD. Sawchuk went a lot lower than he should have. But in most drafts, if you've taken a goalie early, you've paid for it.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Not only do you have two of the top three goalies ever, you have three of the top four. I think it's reflective that some GMs weren't happy that a team with Harry Lumley won the last ATD.
I would be utterly shocked if more than one - if even one - GM voted with that in mind!

The fact that you have a different opinion of the value of the teams than voting has gone is a testament to how very competitive the draft has been this time around, with so many good teams that it's not clear actually which teams are much better, and as a result, predicting the playoffs this time around was known at the outset to be nearly impossible.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I think it's an example of parity in this draft. I really like all the teams remaining. But I didn't have any of the final four escaping their division. I had San Fran losing to Victoria. I had Winnipeg losing to Houston. (And Houston losing to either Kenora or Kansas City. KC was my pick in that division). I had the Falcons losing to Buffalo if those teams were to meet. And I had the Canadiens as a No. 3 behind the other Montreal teams.

When I made the comment after my last series, it was because the teams that I viewed as the ones to beat - the Maroons, the Scouts and the Bisons - were already out, and the other team I viewed as a top test, the Secrets, were about to be dispatched.

Last draft, Buffalo was the class of the draft. Period. Besides my own team, the only other team that I thought would give the Bisons a seven-game run was reckoning's team. This draft, I think there were probably 10 to 12 teams who were someone's team to beat. (Beyond their own, of course).

I think Montreal's the best team remaining, but I didn't even view them as the second-best team in their division.

Not only do you have two of the top three goalies ever, you have three of the top four. I think it's reflective that some GMs weren't happy that a team with Harry Lumley won the last ATD. Sawchuk went a lot lower than he should have. But in most drafts, if you've taken a goalie early, you've paid for it.

Actually it was Chuck Rayner who is a sub this draft. This time I had Lumley who gets no respect.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: Killer

Ken Morrow and Doug Gilmour are battling in the corner for the puck. Morrow is manhandling Gilmour, but Gilmour stays in control of the puck. A touch of the stick. A kick of the skate. The puck is always under Gilmour's control. Gilmour spins out from under Morrow, but, just as he's getting away, Morrow knocks him down.. While falling, Gilmour flips the puck at Plante, who makes an easy save. The puck falls to the ice. Plante is about the put his glove over it, but, while lying on the ground, Gilmour swipes at it. Off the post, but the rebound is juicy. Tikkanen gets it, quick pass to Mosienko. Mosienko hovers wide, pass back to Gilmour for the one timer. No mistake.

Montreal wins game 1 3-1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 2: That's unpossible.

The Russian line is pressing the attack, Kharlamov cuts wide, centering pass to Mikhailov, save by Hasek. Petrov gets the rebound, pass to Kharlamov. Snap shot, blocker save. Mikhailov gets the rebound, back to Neilson. One timer... Deflected by Mikhailov... Off Hasek's mask. Petrov chops the rebound to Kharlamov, wide open net. Hasek lunges... Gets the stick on it. Kharlamov gets the rebound, pass to Petrov. Petrov chips it top corner far side. Hasek twists, contorts and convulses... GLOVE SAVE! HOW ON EARTH WAS THAT POSSIBLE!

Montreal wins 1-0 for a 2-0 series lead.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 3: Firmly Plante"d"

Gilbert passes back to Reardon, but Trottier gets a stick on it, tipping it out of the zone. Race for the puck. Bure gets it. And he's off. Bure has a clear cut breakaway. He speeds in on Jacques Plante. Fakes left. Fakes right. Knocks it back to the skate. Kicks it forward. POKE CHECK. Bure spins back, collects the puck. Wrist shot. Plante gently slides into perfect position. The pucks hits him in the chest as he crosses his arms, pinning the puck.

Detroit wins 2-0, Montreal leads the series 2-1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 4: Get to the point.

Detroit on the powerplay. Russians cycling down low. Back to Mohns. Looks to set up a Lapointe one timer, but Sanderson is blocking him. Back to Petrov. Petrov to Mikhailov, back to Lapointe, but Marcotte blocks the pass. Kharlamov gets to the puck first. Cross ice no look pass to Petrov. But Howe blocks the one timer. Petrov, back to Mohns. Mohns to Mikhailov. Mikhailov back to Mohns. Mohns to Kharlamov. No look back pass to Lapointe. One timer flies off his stick like falcon diving for the kill. Off Chara's skate and the big man topples. The redirected rocket goes high blocker side before Hasek knows what's going on.

Detroit wins 4-2. Tying the series 2-2.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 5: Howe he does it.

Kharlamov racing down the wing. Howe stays between him and the net. Kharlamov tries a cross ice pass. Howe tips it away. Petrov collects the puck. Pass to Kharlamov, tipped away by Howe. Kharlamov collects the puck. Pass to Petrov. Pass to Mikhailov. Intercepted by Howe. Pass to Irvin. To Gustafsson. Back to Howe. Fakes a shot, pass to Hay. Hay, back to Howe, shot, rebound banged home by Gustafsson.

Montreal wins 3-2 to take a 3-2 series lead.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 6: Diesel power.

Sid Smith coming in on Morrow. Pass over to Bure, cutting towards the net. Mohns is on him, driving him wide. Mohns strips the puck of Bure. Skates behind the net. Mohns comes out the other side with speed. Pick by Morrow gets Bure off Mohns' tail. Mohns enters the neutral zone. Backstrom and Russel are doing their best to stay onside while also staying between Vasiliev/Davydov and Mohns. Mohns takes the offensive zone. Backstrom and Russel race in after. But they can't keep up anyway. Mohns winds up. Slap shot! Blocked by Vasiliev, who's visibly in agony. Mohns passes back to Backstrom, who chips it back over Vasiliev to Mohns. Another slapshot. GOAL!

Detroit wins 3-1 to tie the series 3-3.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 7: It's Game 7, Nuff said.

Overtime. Zero zero tie. Trottier vs Ratelle. Ratelle wins the faceoff back to Reardon. Carries the puck into the Habs zone. Pass to Hadfield. ROCKED BY TROTTIER! Hadfield is winded by the heavy but clean hit. Chara collects the puck. Pass to Smith. Over to Bure. Bure cuts in wide. Strong positioning by Lapointe forces him to stay there. Big slapshot. STOPPED BY PLANTE! Big rebound. Reardon collects it. Pass over to Gilbert. INTERCEPTED BY TROTTIER! Trottier to Smith. Back to Trottier. Trottier fakes a shot. Trottier shoots. SCORES! IT'S OVER! IT'S ALL OVER!

Montreal wins 1-0 in OT. Montreal wins the series 4-3.

Three Stars:
1st (Tie): Jacques Plante and Dominic Hasek
3rd: Doug Gilmour

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I knew Trottier would haunt us! :P

Good game, crazy last couple of weeks and I'm happy that he guy that came in with arguments won over the inactive General Manager. Good luck Les Canadiens ... and I'll be honest you'll need some against the best team in the draft.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I knew Trottier would haunt us! :P

Good game, crazy last couple of weeks and I'm happy that he guy that came in with arguments won over the inactive General Manager. Good luck Les Canadiens ... and I'll be honest you'll need some against the best team in the draft.

Well, Winnipeg hasn't won our series yet... ;) :sarcasm:

Seriously though, congrats to both teams, it was incredibly difficult to pick a winner in this series. Both outstanding teams with little to no weaknesses, and both were easily worthy of making it to the finals IMO.

Congrats to HO for advancing to the finals again, and congrats to EB on one of my favourite teams in the draft.

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
:amazed:
I was thinking that a team with: Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov as a top line, Plante in net, and relatively decent defence would win everything.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Congrats on once again assembling an outstanding team, EB. It was such a close series even I struggled to think of things that differentiate our teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad