ATD #10, Foster Hewitt Quarterfinals. Winnipeg Jets (5) vs Regina Pats (4)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lakes vs. Plains

Winnipeg Jets
GM: vancityluongo & Evil Speaker
Coaches: Jacques Demers, Lindy Ruff

Reg Noble - Norm Ullman - Jaromir Jagr
Rick Martin - Dale Hawerchuk (A) - Rick Vaive
Jere Lehtinen - Doug Risebrough - Claude Provost
Shayne Corson - Keith Primeau - Jim Peplinski
extra: Wayne Merrick

Rod Langway (A) - Doug Wilson
Hap Day (C) - Ted Green
Paul Reinhart - Keith Magnuson
extra: Gary Bergman

Terry Sawchuk
Bill Ranford

Power play units:
PP1: Martin - Ullman - Jagr - Green - Wilson
PP2: Noble - Hawerchuk - Vaive - Reinhart - Day

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Risebrough - Provost - Langway - Green
PK2: Primeau - Lehtinen - Day - Magnuson

VS

Regina Pats

GM: seventieslord
Coach: Lester Patrick

Frank Nighbor (A) - Newsy Lalonde (C) - Yvon Cournoyer
Syd Howe - Pete Mahovlich - Mark Recchi
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Eric Nesterenko
Jack Marshall- Bob Bourne - Martin St. Louis
extras: Steve Thomas, Al Secord

Paul Coffey - Sylvio Mantha (A)
Gus Mortson - Jack Crawford
Jim Schoenfeld - Lester Patrick
extra: Jimmy Roberts

Clint Benedict
Chuck Rayner

Power play units:
PP1: Nighbor - Lalonde - Cournoyer - Coffey - Patrick
PP2: Howe - Mahovlich - Recchi - Mortson - Crawford

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Ramsay - Luce - Mantha - Schoenfeld
PK2: Howe - Nesterenko - Mortson - Crawford

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I thought I'd post my roster thread post in here as it has links to all the self-compiled bio posts. They're not as good as Leaf Lander's but I think they'll do.

The Regina Pats

1798.gif

Click on player names for my ATD post of their bio.

Frank Nighbor (A)- Newsy Lalonde (C)- Yvan Cournoyer
Syd Howe - Pete Mahovlich - Mark Recchi
Craig Ramsay - Don Luce - Eric Nesterenko
Jack Marshall- Bob Bourne - Martin St. Louis

Paul Coffey - Sylvio Mantha (A)
Gus Mortson - Jack Crawford
Jim Schoenfeld - Lester Patrick (A)

Clint Benedict
Chuck Rayner

Extras:
Steve Thomas (LW/RW)
Jimmy Roberts (D/LW/RW)
Al Secord (LW)

Coach:
Lester Patrick

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Good luck, Winnipeg. May your arguments be valid and accurate.

This playoff-tested Pats team (65 Stanley Cups) is ready for the battle.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Good luck, Winnipeg. May your arguments be valid and accurate.

This playoff-tested Pats team (65 Stanley Cups) is ready for the battle.

Regina cheated their way to the 4th seed! Don't vote for them!!

Seriously though, good luck to the Pats, this will be a great series, and I'm looking forward to some serious discussion, seventies. :handclap:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
probably my favourite match-up of the first round - i mean, what gets better then a winnipeg / regina rivalry?

both teams are well built, and this one could go either way! looking forward to the analysis.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Let's start this thang off right.

First off, seventies, I believe I had you first in our division. I like your team. Now, I will attempt to totally contradict everything I just said by thrashing your lineup into pieces. :D ;)

Starting out, I'll note Regina has home advantage this time around. Take it for whatever it's worth, although I should remind you, you won last time, when we had home ice.

I'll give you the "clear" advantages for Regina first. Lure you into a sense of false security, and then, BAM! :sarcasm:

Coaching is not even a question. Lester Patrick is one of the early greats of the game, and is in my top-5 coaches ever. Jacques Demers and Lindy Ruff are both lower-end ATD coaches. I don't give much of an advantage myself to coaching, as rarely is an ATD team poorly coached, and when talking about the greats of the game, it's not that big of a deal, IMO. I think coaching really matters with less experienced teams, or teams with lower skill levels than their opponents, where tactics and motivational skills of a coach can be a big factor in the game. Not here, IMHO. Basically, if most of the above was unclear, although there's no question Regina is better coached, I don't think there is that big of a gap, and it won't impact much.

You have the best defensemen in this series. Coffey was easily one of the biggest steals of the draft. Definitely gives you that QB on the backend, and like a couple others said, he may very well be your best offensive player.

FWIW, Rayner is an elite backup. Although he's behind a fairly solid goalie in Benedict, so he shouldn't be seeing too much action. Maybe LP will give him the nod to start in Game 4 in a vain attempt to salvage the series with Jaromir Jagr looking for his 20th goal of the playoffs. :sarcasm:

That's it for Regina's clear advantage. Now for where I feel we have the clear advantage.

Let's start in net, because that's what killed the Jets last time we played those hooligans from Saskatchewan. Terry Sawchuk is one of the top netminders ever. I think we can get into the basics later on in the discussion, because I gotta go soon, but that's the first thing I think that stands out in favour of our team.

Offensive depth. I wouldn't say this is a "clear advantage" like the coaching may be for you, but I'd say it's a "distinct" one for us. Again, definitely more discussion upcoming on this, but I'll look up some numbers/quotes.

Team defense. Not to pimp Sawchuk twice, but our team is very strong defensively IMO. There aren't any super studs like a Harvey or Shore, or even a Lidstrom or Robinson, but we have 3 or 4 solid defensemen that can eat up big chunks of ice time, against any of Regina's lines.

Physicality. I'm not too confident about this point, but until proven otherwise, just looking up and down both lineups, I think we have the better group. Am definitely looking forward to hearing counter arguments on this one.

Anyways, I'm done for now. Will probably try and get more tomorrow after school, or else possibly, but unlikely, later tonight. It feels nice to type out a bunch of hockey arguments again though, that's for sure.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Let's start this thang off right.

First off, seventies, I believe I had you first in our division. I like your team. Now, I will attempt to totally contradict everything I just said by thrashing your lineup into pieces. :D ;)

Well, thank you. That's three who've admitted to that so far. For me to end up 4th, This division must have been really close.

I'm sitting in bed with my brand new laptop (ahhhh....) so I'm planning on keeping this short. I am sure we'll get more in-depth later. A series with you will surely be entertaining and challenging, so I hope that the powers that be give us more time to do this.

Starting out, I'll note Regina has home advantage this time around. Take it for whatever it's worth, although I should remind you, you won last time, when we had home ice.

Last time I was very, very lucky to win... at least I felt that way. This time, wearing the red,white and blue jerseys I see a team that will not allow itself to lose. :yo:

I'll give you the "clear" advantages for Regina first. Lure you into a sense of false security, and then, BAM! :sarcasm:

Coaching is not even a question. Lester Patrick is one of the early greats of the game, and is in my top-5 coaches ever. Jacques Demers and Lindy Ruff are both lower-end ATD coaches. I don't give much of an advantage myself to coaching, as rarely is an ATD team poorly coached, and when talking about the greats of the game, it's not that big of a deal, IMO. I think coaching really matters with less experienced teams, or teams with lower skill levels than their opponents, where tactics and motivational skills of a coach can be a big factor in the game. Not here, IMHO. Basically, if most of the above was unclear, although there's no question Regina is better coached, I don't think there is that big of a gap, and it won't impact much.

I agree there is a gap, but it will impact lots. Patrick was a rushing defenseman, and parlayed that playing style into a successful coaching career. He loved wide-open hockey, and Regina has the horses to make that work. Patrick is going to love having Bourne, Cournoyer, Coffey, and St. Louis on his squad, to say nothing of Nighbor, Howe, Nesterenko, Marshall, Patrick, Mantha, and Mortson. This team can outright fly, and he knows how to use them.

You have the best defensemen in this series. Coffey was easily one of the biggest steals of the draft. Definitely gives you that QB on the backend, and like a couple others said, he may very well be your best offensive player.

I think I've got the better defensemen too. I think it is a big advantage at #1, moderate at #2, and big from 3 through 6. That's what I get for picking my 6th defenseman in round 13. Schoenfeld is also the only one who was not a puck-mover, too. the transition game is going to be ridiculous. At the same time, despite all these guys being good with the puck, only Coffey was known as a liability defensively. As well all know, history has overblown this, and Patrick, like Sather, is a coach that knows how to use Coffey.

FWIW, Rayner is an elite backup. Although he's behind a fairly solid goalie in Benedict, so he shouldn't be seeing too much action. Maybe LP will give him the nod to start in Game 4 in a vain attempt to salvage the series with Jaromir Jagr looking for his 20th goal of the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Dare to dream, Arnold..... Dare to dream. ;)

I think Rayner's an elite backup too, but in all honesty he won't see any action, nor will Ranford.

That's it for Regina's clear advantage. Now for where I feel we have the clear advantage.

Let's start in net, because that's what killed the Jets last time we played those hooligans from Saskatchewan. Terry Sawchuk is one of the top netminders ever. I think we can get into the basics later on in the discussion, because I gotta go soon, but that's the first thing I think that stands out in favour of our team.

I have Sawchuk 5th-6th on my list of goalies and Benedict 9th-11th. So yes, Sawchuk is a better goalie overall, it could be argued that Benedict has a more solid playoff resume. Unfortunately with Benedict it is impossible to quote sv% numbers to really show how he elevated his play, but his GAA dropped from 2.44 in the regular season (counting NHL and NHA) to 2.20 in the playoffs - a 10% drop. Sawchuk's goes up 1% - from 2.51 to 2.54. In both eras, scoring levels dropped in the playoffs.

Both have had two Smythe-worthy performances. Sawchuk in 52 and 54, Benedict in 26 and 28. Actually, he wasn't too shabby in 23 either.

The thing about Sawchuk is, aside from his two excellent performances early on, he was very underwhelming in the playoffs for the rest of his career after the demise of Detroit's dynasty. He was just 26-33 (.441) in the playoffs, even though he was on decent teams - 248-247-107 (.500) in the regular season. Career-wise, both players see the same drop in their win% from the regular season to the playoffs - Sawchuk from .562 to .529 and Benedict from .584 to .536, drops of 6% and 8%, respectively, which is not bad considering most win%'s of great goalies go down in the playoffs because they are only playing good teams.

I have lots on sawchuk's save% and shots against in the playoffs throughout his career, but it's much too late tonight to talk about that. Not that the numbers show him to be bad - just not a game-stealer or anything.

In the end, most people will consider Sawchuk an advantage for you, no matter what numbers I dig up. And goaltending was the most important thing last series.

Offensive depth. I wouldn't say this is a "clear advantage" like the coaching may be for you, but I'd say it's a "distinct" one for us. Again, definitely more discussion upcoming on this, but I'll look up some numbers/quotes.

Let's put that on the Thursday backburner. I'd love to go over the offensive depth and the regular season and playoff accomplishments of our players. I'm not going to say for sure who I think has the edge... actually, whoever does, I think it has to be slim.

Team defense. Not to pimp Sawchuk twice, but our team is very strong defensively IMO. There aren't any super studs like a Harvey or Shore, or even a Lidstrom or Robinson, but we have 3 or 4 solid defensemen that can eat up big chunks of ice time, against any of Regina's lines.

I agree, you've got 3 or 4. But we've got six who can play with your forwards too!

Coffey, as I mentioned, is the only potential liability, but when he always has the puck he won't have to worry about defending.

We can certainly analyze the defense more later too. But, a quick note about defense from the forwards. I have it in spades. Really, the worst defensive forward I see on my team is Lalonde, and that is only by default because I know nothing about his defensive game. Second worst would probably be Recchi, who is a really good two-way player, and third...... god, I don't even know who I'd name. These guys all have the speed to go hard both ways so they can effectively play Patrick's system while being as defensively responsible as that allows.

You've got a few of those good gritty, corner guys. Like Corson and Peplinski. But these are not defensive guys, just tough, hard workers. Primeau's reputation as a shutdown player was short lived (although he did come by this reputation honestly later in his career). Ullman was a two-way forward but wouldn't have been challenging for the Selke either. No one on your 2nd line likes to backcheck all that much, nor does Jagr. Noble spent time on D so he has to be a good backchecker. Overall, though, there are some holes in that wall. None in mine.

Your D is very good defensively, but as far as forwards go, not so much. They're going to have to do what they're best at, and that's score. As such, the offensive analysis will be interesting to work on - I look forward to it.

Your checking line is awesome, though - one of the best in the league. Winnipeg is one of the very few teams that I would hesitate to say has an inferior checking line to mine.

Physicality. I'm not too confident about this point, but until proven otherwise, just looking up and down both lineups, I think we have the better group. Am definitely looking forward to hearing counter arguments on this one.

Anyways, I'm done for now. Will probably try and get more tomorrow after school, or else possibly, but unlikely, later tonight. It feels nice to type out a bunch of hockey arguments again though, that's for sure.

You got that right.

As for physicality, that is another thing we can revisit. There is a lot to go over still. Way to go, you made me stay up over an hour longer than I wanted to!

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Ahhh...a fresh ATD playoffs...it does feel good. Although it is an arbitrary number (predetermined to significance by how our hands are built), the 10th ATD feels somewhat historic to me, nevermind the fact that it looks to be easily the most competitive draft to date. Good stuff. Now, onto my favorite series...a few random points about the matchup:

- the Nighbor vs. Jagr matchup across 1st lines seems to favor Regina. Having your best two-way forward match-up against the opponent's best scorer is a stroke of luck. Nighbor at left wing is an interesting proposition. Normally, I would say Frank's defensive game is less significant on the wing than it would be at center, but when the opponent's best forward is a right wing, Nighbor on the left certainly comes in handy. Although I know 70's assembled that third line with the intent of matching it against opponents' 1st lines, I would consider matching 1st lines straight across in this series. Regina's best defensive forwards are pretty clearly on the left wing. A left wing lock might have been a good idea, though with Patrick at the helm and the regular season already over, that ship has sailed.

- but then again, Noble vs. Cournoyer is a good matchup for Winnipeg, as Reg's speed and checking ability is almost exactly what you'd want from a scoringline player assigned to defend the Roadrunner, and his size won't be a drawback. This is why the series is so hard to call for me: the talent is very close and both teams seem to be built to counter the other's strengths.

- I think 70's is badly underrating Winnipeg's 2nd pairing in saying that he sees a big advantage for his team from the #3 to #6 defensemen. Hap Day is the best 2nd pairing defenseman on either team by a pretty good margin, in my opinion, and Terrible Ted is a well-chosen partner. I think Winnipeg has clearly the better second pairing, while Regina has clearly the better 3rd.

- I think Regina wins, overall, the battle of the 1st units (1st line + pairing), while Winnipeg wins on the 2nd units. This matchup may well come down to depth scoring from role players, and that matchup is also tough to call. Winnipeg's 3rd line will almost certainly outscore Regina's, though the Pats' hold the advantage on the 4th line and on the bottom pairing.

- looking over the skaters, I give Regina a slight advantage, overall, but then Winnipeg wins the goaltending matchup, though not by a large margin. I really need to see team strategies, line-matching schemes (if applicable), gameplans, etc. before I can decide how I will vote in this one.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
parity was very, very high in the draft, and these 2 teams are very even.

i think jagr is the best player in the series, and i think he would have coffey for lunch, but regina has 3 excellent LW's to check him: nighbor (though nighbor was usually a C), ramsay and howe.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Last time I was very, very lucky to win... at least I felt that way. This time, wearing the red,white and blue jerseys I see a team that will not allow itself to lose. :yo:

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but honestly, I think this series is just as close, or possibly closer than our last one. Although I still feel that the Jets were the better team, I'm biased. You pulled out some wicked arguments, that were all very convincing.

I agree there is a gap, but it will impact lots. Patrick was a rushing defenseman, and parlayed that playing style into a successful coaching career. He loved wide-open hockey, and Regina has the horses to make that work. Patrick is going to love having Bourne, Cournoyer, Coffey, and St. Louis on his squad, to say nothing of Nighbor, Howe, Nesterenko, Marshall, Patrick, Mantha, and Mortson. This team can outright fly, and he knows how to use them.

I think our team suits the styles of Demers/Ruff too. But even with that considered, I don't believe it does much. Although for sure, you have a team that is very suited to its coach.

I think I've got the better defensemen too. I think it is a big advantage at #1, moderate at #2, and big from 3 through 6. That's what I get for picking my 6th defenseman in round 13. Schoenfeld is also the only one who was not a puck-mover, too. the transition game is going to be ridiculous. At the same time, despite all these guys being good with the puck, only Coffey was known as a liability defensively. As well all know, history has overblown this, and Patrick, like Sather, is a coach that knows how to use Coffey.

Disagreed...big time. I'd say you're really underrating Hap Day, Doug Wilson and Ted Green. Most of all, Hap Day. Although he is one our second pairing, I'd say he's our second best defensemen; we took him over Mantha for a reason. I won't even bother arguing Coffey against any of my guys, because I'd be blabbering lies, but I don't think your top pairing is much better than ours. The way I look at it, Langway has a distinct advantage in defensive play over Mantha. Coffey is an elite puckmoving defensemen, in the mold of a current day Sergei Zubov or Mike Green (if you remember from last time, I use my current-day player analogies a lot). I'd say Doug Wilson is a tier or so below, say, a Tomas Kaberle (this is a series thread, naming undrafted players here is okay, I hope).

Anyways, I'll pull out numbers later, but I think our defense from 2-4 is just as good as yours. The bottom pairing, you have a distinct advantage, although, like you say, that's too be expected since you rounded your defense our early.

Dare to dream, Arnold..... Dare to dream. ;)

I think Rayner's an elite backup too, but in all honesty he won't see any action, nor will Ranford.

Agreed. It definitely won't have any affect on the series, I'm sure we'll both agree with.
I have Sawchuk 5th-6th on my list of goalies and Benedict 9th-11th. So yes, Sawchuk is a better goalie overall, it could be argued that Benedict has a more solid playoff resume. Unfortunately with Benedict it is impossible to quote sv% numbers to really show how he elevated his play, but his GAA dropped from 2.44 in the regular season (counting NHL and NHA) to 2.20 in the playoffs - a 10% drop. Sawchuk's goes up 1% - from 2.51 to 2.54. In both eras, scoring levels dropped in the playoffs.

Both have had two Smythe-worthy performances. Sawchuk in 52 and 54, Benedict in 26 and 28. Actually, he wasn't too shabby in 23 either.

The thing about Sawchuk is, aside from his two excellent performances early on, he was very underwhelming in the playoffs for the rest of his career after the demise of Detroit's dynasty. He was just 26-33 (.441) in the playoffs, even though he was on decent teams - 248-247-107 (.500) in the regular season. Career-wise, both players see the same drop in their win% from the regular season to the playoffs - Sawchuk from .562 to .529 and Benedict from .584 to .536, drops of 6% and 8%, respectively, which is not bad considering most win%'s of great goalies go down in the playoffs because they are only playing good teams.

I have lots on sawchuk's save% and shots against in the playoffs throughout his career, but it's much too late tonight to talk about that. Not that the numbers show him to be bad - just not a game-stealer or anything.

In the end, most people will consider Sawchuk an advantage for you, no matter what numbers I dig up. And goaltending was the most important thing last series.

I'm interested to see what you pull out. Will discuss this when you come up with those numbers.

Definitely am going to point out though, there should be no doubt that goaltending is and will play a huge part in this series; and both teams have solid goaltenders, because the advantage of Sawchuk over Benedict isn't tremendous, but IMO, bigger than your trying to make it out to be.

Let's put that on the Thursday backburner. I'd love to go over the offensive depth and the regular season and playoff accomplishments of our players. I'm not going to say for sure who I think has the edge... actually, whoever does, I think it has to be slim.

All right. I'll start off things, I guess, and I'll focus mostly on our team, rather than criticizing the weakness of your team.

-Jaromir Jagr is in my honest opinion, the best offensive player out of both teams. I've seen everything you've argued in favour of Lalonde, the physical dimension, the leadership and so on. Purely from an offensive standpoint though, I like Jagr, quite easily. Looking at your post on Lalonde, I'd say Jagr's numbers back this up. Although I'm sure everyone is aware of all of this, here are the stats:

* Stanley Cup Winner - 1991, 1992
* Hart Trophy (MVP) - 1999
^Finalist: 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006
* Art Ross Trophy - 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
* Lester B. Pearson Award - 1999, 2000, 2006
* NHL First Team All-Star - 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006
* NHL Second Team All-Star - 1997
* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991

-Norm Ullman is THE perfect linemate for JJ. The guy played with Lindsay and Howe; he definitely knows how to to feed pucks to a supreme offensive talent, while also being able to score when Jagr decides to feed him. Ullman had 16 seasons out of his 20 year NHL career of 20 or more goals, and topped the 30 goal mark five times, most notably in 64-65 when he led the league with 42, and missed the scoring title by four points, losing to Stan Mikita. That same season, he was voted a first team AS. Finished top-10 in points eight times. Most importantly, he was renowned for his two-way play and forechecking, which will open up room for Jagr and Reg Noble, big time. Legends of Hockey also says he was a tremendous faceoff man, which can't be anything but helpful for us, and harder for Regina to defend against.

-Dale Hawerchuk>Pete Mahovlich. As simple as that. Actually, while our first lines are fairly close, with the advantage going to you, I'd say my second line is a lot, lot better, mainly because of Hawerchuk. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying your team may lack secondary scoring.

Although it was in the high-scoring 80's, Hawerchuk had 5 consecutive seasons of over 100 points - 8 of over 90. He only had less than a PPG in two seasons of his career; and both those seasons he was riddled with minor injuries.

Here are Hawerchuk's credentials:

# Rookie-of-the-Year (QMJHL) Winner (1980)
# Playoff MVP (QMJHL) (1980)
# QMJHL Championships (1980 & 1981)
# Memorial Cup Championships (1980 & 1981)
# Memorial Cup All-Star First Team (1980 & 1981)
# QMJHL Scoring Champion (1981)
# QMJHL First Team All-Star (1981)
# QMJHL Player of Year (1981)
# QMJHL MVP (1981)
# Memorial Cup MVP (1981)
# Canadian Major-Junior Player of Year (1981)
# Played in NHL All-Star game 5 Times
# Calder Memorial Trophy Winner (1982)
# World Championships Bronze Medalists (1982 & 1986)
# World Championships Silver Medalist (1989)
# NHL Second Team All-Star Centre (1985)
# Canada Cup Championships (1987 & 1991)
# Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001

Compared to the fleet footed Mahovlich, who outside of two incredible seasons, was extremely average.

As for the rest of the line, meh, I think that comparison alone says a lot. I like Syd Howe, I had him in my first draft. I would say he's a better version of Martin, with improved defensive play. Vaive I like better than Recchi, because I like that he provides more than one dimension. While Vaive doesn't have the offensive numbers that Recchi does, he provides a lot of toughness, and can open up room for Hawerchuk and Martin. I actually think our second line is kinda similar to the French Connection for Martin, as Hawerchuk and Perreault aren't very different IMO, while Vaive is basically a grittier, more physical, and better offensively version of Robert (yes, that sounds weird, and I think I'm starting to kind of blabber to myself)

I agree, you've got 3 or 4. But we've got six who can play with your forwards too!

All 7 of our guys can play with any of your guys! :D

Coffey, as I mentioned, is the only potential liability, but when he always has the puck he won't have to worry about defending.

Pfft. At least you don't have him on the PK.

We can certainly analyze the defense more later too. But, a quick note about defense from the forwards. I have it in spades. Really, the worst defensive forward I see on my team is Lalonde, and that is only by default because I know nothing about his defensive game. Second worst would probably be Recchi, who is a really good two-way player, and third...... god, I don't even know who I'd name. These guys all have the speed to go hard both ways so they can effectively play Patrick's system while being as defensively responsible as that allows.

Mahovlich definitely stands out. Guys like St.Louis and Bourne, while not at all terrible defensively, in an ATD context, can not be commended for their "defensive play".

You've got a few of those good gritty, corner guys. Like Corson and Peplinski. But these are not defensive guys, just tough, hard workers. Primeau's reputation as a shutdown player was short lived (although he did come by this reputation honestly later in his career). Ullman was a two-way forward but wouldn't have been challenging for the Selke either. No one on your 2nd line likes to backcheck all that much, nor does Jagr. Noble spent time on D so he has to be a good backchecker. Overall, though, there are some holes in that wall. None in mine.

For real? Disagreed, big time. Ullman from what I'm reading would've easily been in consideration for a Selke or two. Above his offensive numbers, he was the middle man of Lindsay and Howe for the one year, and with Howe for a few after that, and while it's unlikely the opposition ever had the puck against those three, from what I've understood, Ullman was just as two-way as Lindsay and Hower during that season, his second in the league, and I don't think his defensive game went anywhere but up after that, along with his offensive game.

As a matter a fact, Punch Imlach, who from what I hear, hated weak one-dimensional players, said Ullman was the best center he ever coached. So it doesn't matter that Jagr won't be the most avid backchecker, the other two will cover for that just fine.

The second line, Vaive was a fairly tenacious forechecker, I think. he was definitely physical, so I'd imagine he'd be a capable forechecker, although you said no one on this line particularly liked it, so if your claiming Vaive floated at times, I'm going to have to look for stuff against that, if you have something to back up your own claim.

The fourth line was built as a scrappy line with a bunch of guys who aren't defensive liabilities, and can provide a bit of offense. Mostly though, yes, this is a grit line, and a pretty good one if I do say so myself, as this line is loaded with some of my personal favourites.

Your D is very good defensively, but as far as forwards go, not so much. They're going to have to do what they're best at, and that's score. As such, the offensive analysis will be interesting to work on - I look forward to it.

I given some offensive analysis, and I'm going to disagree for now that my forwards are weak defensively. Interested in hearing why you claim the "weakness" of my forwards in their own zone, although I've provided some stuff above.

Your checking line is awesome, though - one of the best in the league. Winnipeg is one of the very few teams that I would hesitate to say has an inferior checking line to mine.

I think it could be called a wash. I'm definitely taking it as that until we get into things more. Part of the reason this line was built this way is after I found out you wanted Luce and Ramsay.

You got that right.

As for physicality, that is another thing we can revisit. There is a lot to go over still. Way to go, you made me stay up over an hour longer than I wanted to!

Looking forward to it.

I've spent the better part of the last two hours doing this, when I only planned on looking at this for about 20 monutes!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Ahhh...a fresh ATD playoffs...it does feel good. Although it is an arbitrary number (predetermined to significance by how our hands are built), the 10th ATD feels somewhat historic to me, nevermind the fact that it looks to be easily the most competitive draft to date. Good stuff. Now, onto my favorite series...a few random points about the matchup:

- the Nighbor vs. Jagr matchup across 1st lines seems to favor Regina. Having your best two-way forward match-up against the opponent's best scorer is a stroke of luck. Nighbor at left wing is an interesting proposition. Normally, I would say Frank's defensive game is less significant on the wing than it would be at center, but when the opponent's best forward is a right wing, Nighbor on the left certainly comes in handy. Although I know 70's assembled that third line with the intent of matching it against opponents' 1st lines, I would consider matching 1st lines straight across in this series. Regina's best defensive forwards are pretty clearly on the left wing. A left wing lock might have been a good idea, though with Patrick at the helm and the regular season already over, that ship has sailed.

- but then again, Noble vs. Cournoyer is a good matchup for Winnipeg, as Reg's speed and checking ability is almost exactly what you'd want from a scoringline player assigned to defend the Roadrunner, and his size won't be a drawback. This is why the series is so hard to call for me: the talent is very close and both teams seem to be built to counter the other's strengths.

- I think 70's is badly underrating Winnipeg's 2nd pairing in saying that he sees a big advantage for his team from the #3 to #6 defensemen. Hap Day is the best 2nd pairing defenseman on either team by a pretty good margin, in my opinion, and Terrible Ted is a well-chosen partner. I think Winnipeg has clearly the better second pairing, while Regina has clearly the better 3rd.

- I think Regina wins, overall, the battle of the 1st units (1st line + pairing), while Winnipeg wins on the 2nd units. This matchup may well come down to depth scoring from role players, and that matchup is also tough to call. Winnipeg's 3rd line will almost certainly outscore Regina's, though the Pats' hold the advantage on the 4th line and on the bottom pairing.

- looking over the skaters, I give Regina a slight advantage, overall, but then Winnipeg wins the goaltending matchup, though not by a large margin. I really need to see team strategies, line-matching schemes (if applicable), gameplans, etc. before I can decide how I will vote in this one.

Thanks Sturm for the very objective and non-biased analysis. Looking over this, we basically agree on most points, and the few that we may not agree on, I'd still say are very fair.

Interesting though that you didn't pimp your boy Normie Ullman! I thought for sure you would've said a few things about him. :D

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Left Wing Lock? So not my style! But I can see your point.

Nighbor has the capability to pwn Jagr. As much as I respect Jagr, he'll have trouble against a team whose top defensive forwards are all on the left. I think I will play the first line against him when I can, but at the same time I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable with any line on Jagr. As mentioned before, all Regina's lines are fast and defensively responsible.

I agree - Noble could have what it takes to shut down Yvan. He won't keep up with him the whole time, though - Cournoyer was the fastest player of his time, and although you are vouching for Noble's speed, I just read five bios of his and I see nothing crediting him with being a good skater. It's doubtful that he can skate with Cournoyer all game.

Assuming I can call Jagr & Cournoyer hindered, and Noble & Nighbor tied up in defensive responsibilities, that leaves Lalonde vs. Ullman. Ullman is a great player but not in Lalonde's league.

Yeah, you are right. Big underestimation there. Hap Day is an excellent player. I had to research more and I'm ashamed I didn't know as much about him as I thought. He placed 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6 among defensemen in points duing his career - yes, this includes only the years that he played defense. He was also fine defensively as a winger, so I can only assume this extended to his defensive career.

He is better than Mortson. He's paired well, but so is Mortson. Day is definitely the better #3. I'll even admit Mantha and Wilson are a toss-up as #2's. Wilson gets taken an average of 23 spots earlier per draft but I think it has a lot more to do with his Norris (something Mantha never had the chance to win) and the fact that he's Modern.

I still say that I've got the better 4, 5, and 6.

Don't forget coaching - Regina wins in that too! :)

Still to come:
- Physicality discussion
- Terry Sawchuk's playoff history
- Offensive output analysis, regular season and playoff
- Regular season vs. playoff production by player
- Strategies, line-matching, gameplan

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Forgive me if I sound stupid, but honestly, I think this series is just as close, or possibly closer than our last one. Although I still feel that the Jets were the better team, I'm biased. You pulled out some wicked arguments, that were all very convincing.

Thanks, but I didn't feel like I did. At the end I felt like I could have done better. Remember, I said later on that I thought your team was better in retrospect.

It hurts to think this series can be as close as the last. That is not a comment on your team at all, actually, it's a comment on mine and a comment on the parity in the league in general. I think this team is better than my last in every imaginable way except in net. And now it's a 4th seeded team playing a 5th, instead of vice-versa. problem is, this 5th place team is also significantly better than the 4th and 5th seeds of last draft.

I think our team suits the styles of Demers/Ruff too. But even with that considered, I don't believe it does much. Although for sure, you have a team that is very suited to its coach.

Coaching can be a major factor for two reasons: 1) You have an elite coach. 2) You have the right coach for your team, and vice versa. We have both. I think it is significant but obviously you will downplay it. ;)

Disagreed...big time. I'd say you're really underrating Hap Day, Doug Wilson and Ted Green. Most of all, Hap Day. Although he is one our second pairing, I'd say he's our second best defensemen; we took him over Mantha for a reason. I won't even bother arguing Coffey against any of my guys, because I'd be blabbering lies, but I don't think your top pairing is much better than ours. The way I look at it, Langway has a distinct advantage in defensive play over Mantha. Coffey is an elite puckmoving defensemen, in the mold of a current day Sergei Zubov or Mike Green (if you remember from last time, I use my current-day player analogies a lot). I'd say Doug Wilson is a tier or so below, say, a Tomas Kaberle (this is a series thread, naming undrafted players here is okay, I hope).

(I'm pretty sure LL took Kaberle as a 7th this time... or are you referring to Mike Green? He went in MLD9! :p:)

You beat me to it... You can't tell by the times, but I swear I was already writing my last reply before yours was posted. I am fully guilty of underrating Hap Day. He's actually quite similar to Mantha - I'd put Mantha ahead (not slightly, not drastically, either - just ahead) defensively, Day ahead (in the same way) offensively, and both have the leadership experience too. I think the other GMs agree they're similar, too. Mantha has been selected just 7 spots higher than Day over ATD7, 8, and 9.

The differences - They played at the same time, and Mantha was able to lead the Habs to 3 cups, while Day could only do it once. (although he came up really big in that cup win) And Mantha has the two AST nominations. They're only 10 months apart in age so Day certainly had as much opportunity to take those spots as Mantha did. Am I perhaps being too generous in labelling Day great defensively in my prior post? The reason I ask is, he was consistently 4th-6th in scoring by a defenseman in 31, 32, 33, 34, and 36, but didn't get on the All-star team. If you're top-5 in points and play good D, aren't you a no-brainer AST choice?

Anyways, I'll pull out numbers later, but I think our defense from 2-4 is just as good as yours. The bottom pairing, you have a distinct advantage, although, like you say, that's too be expected since you rounded your defense our early.

I rounded out everything early, not just D... thanks, VI!

I'm interested to see what you pull out. Will discuss this when you come up with those numbers.

Still on the backburner. I get tomorrow off because I work for a US company so I'll probably get on it at that time.

Definitely am going to point out though, there should be no doubt that goaltending is and will play a huge part in this series; and both teams have solid goaltenders, because the advantage of Sawchuk over Benedict isn't tremendous, but IMO, bigger than your trying to make it out to be.

Kinda like coaching? ;)

I like my coaching advantage better than your goaltending advantage... just sayin'!

-
Jaromir Jagr is in my honest opinion, the best offensive player out of both teams. I've seen everything you've argued in favour of Lalonde, the physical dimension, the leadership and so on. Purely from an offensive standpoint though, I like Jagr, quite easily. Looking at your post on Lalonde, I'd say Jagr's numbers back this up. Although I'm sure everyone is aware of all of this, here are the stats:

* Stanley Cup Winner - 1991, 1992
* Hart Trophy (MVP) - 1999
^Finalist: 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006
* Art Ross Trophy - 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
* Lester B. Pearson Award - 1999, 2000, 2006
* NHL First Team All-Star - 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2006
* NHL Second Team All-Star - 1997
* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991

All-rookie team? Come on.....

Anyway, the rest is all great, and I love Jagr. It's sad to see how many of us tear him down. At best, Lalonde is his equal offensively. At worst, you're right and Jagr is the best offensive player. Lalonde crushes him in the intangibles, though. Jagr's not as bad a leader as others have said - he's carried teams on his back - but he is no Lalonde. He isn't as physical, doesn't fight, and is hit and miss with the backchecking. It is this kind of stuff that put Lalonde so close to Jagr on the HOH top-100 list. both guys were, in my opinion, THE skater of their era and should have ranked even higher but weren't due to suspicions about their eras.

Lalonde's achievements match up very well to Jagr's though:

- Cups: He has one cup, and whether you want to credit him with a 2nd considering how well he was playing, or call it half a cup, 1919 has to count for something. At the worst, he'd be a cup finalist that season.

- Harts/Pearsons: Ultimate Hockey credits him with six retro Harts (arbitrary, I know, but it would be just as arbitrary for me to analyze each season myself and there could be perceptions of bias that way. This way it is at least a reputable source) - 1908, 1912, 1914, 1916, 1919, 1923. Now, in fairness, these were all in splitered leagues. What this means is that he was the best player in his league, but not necessarily the best in all of hockey. To properly judge these seasons I feel you have to consider hockey as one giant entity and not just look at an individual league, then let the speculation begin. The "other" players to win retro Harts these years were Phillips, Ronan, Dunderdale, Johnson, Taylor, and Benedict/Mackay, respectively.
1) I can admit that Phillips was probably better than a green Lalonde in 1908.
2) In 1923 Lalonde was in the WCHL which was probably a bit weaker, plus he was 35. Then again, MacKay was 30 and was probably never as good as Lalonde, and Benedict was 32. This may be Lalonde's Hart but it is not definitive.
3) In 1919 let's give the Hart to Taylor from the PCHA just to avoid an argument, because statistically he had as amazing a year as Lalonde.
4) In 1914 I'm not sure why they'd award it to him. he missed 6 games and he was 3rd in goals per game. It's possible his intangibles carried him past Hyland and Smith, who outscored him, but missing 30% of the schedule usually would preclude you from winning. I would love to say I trust their judgment but he's not a great choice here.
That still leaves two "good" Harts for Lalonde - 1912 and 1916. One more than Jagr, but then Jagr has the 3 Pearsons. The other four times for Lalonde would certainly count as instances of being a Hart "finalist" - meaning both guys did this six times.

- Scoring Titles: Lalonde led his league in scoring five times. So did Jagr. But this goes back to the splinter league thing. Let's take a quick look and speculate some more, using the facts that we know:
1) 1908. Lalonde had the most goals across both leagues, as well as most per-game. But the OPHL had very few ATD-caliber players. The ECAHA had plenty. Scoring title: NO.
2) 1910. Lalonde scored 38 goals in 11 games. Oren Frood led the OPHL with 34 in 17. Lalonde led 2nd place by 7 goals, Frood led hs league by two. Lalonde had more goals, as well as more per game. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHA. The NHA had 16 ATD players plus three goalies, all of whom Lalonde faced. The OPHL had two ATD players, plus one goalie whom Frood did not have to play. Scoring title: ABSOLUTELY.
3) 1912. Lalonde scored 15 goals in 27 games in the PCHA to lead the league. Skene Ronan had 35 in 18 in the NHA. Both players played the full schedule. Scoring in the PCHA was a goal per game higher than in the NHA. Ten of the 23 PCHA players were selected in ATD10 (44%). 15 of the 38 NHA players were selected in ATD10 (39%). Scoring title: DEBATABLE.
4) 1919. Lalonde led the NHL in goals, assists, and points. 32-11-43. Taylor led the PCHA with 23-13-36. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHL. The NHA had 18 ATDers, the PCHA 13. Both leagues had 3 teams. Scoring title: MOST LIKELY.
5) 1921. Lalonde led the NHL in points with 43. He led 2nd and 3rd place by 3 and 4 points. The PCHA's leading scorer was Fred Harris, who had 32 points, leading 2nd and 3rd by 1 and 2 points. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHL. the NHL had 18 ATDers, the PCHA 15. Scoring Title: MOST LIKELY.

That would be one definite scoring title, two most likely scoring titles, and one that is debatable. Since this is all speculation anyway, I may as well put what I'm trying to say into numbers. (1)1 + 2(.75) + (1).5 = 3. Looks good to me.

Due to his era, I can't exactly cite all the times Lalonde made the All-Star team, as they didn't exist. But let's speculate. It would be safe to say that in 1908, 1909, 1910, 1912, 1914, 1916, 1917, 1919, 1920, 1921, and 1923, Lalonde was among the top-6 forwards in hockey, or top-2 centres, or top-2 Rovers, or however you want to put it. This is backed up by his scoring rankings, year by year, as shown in his bio post. That is potentially eleven all-star team selections, had they existed back then, give or take one or two.

More to come later. This is hella fun!

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
First tough question for this series: what's on the line? Will Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco greet Winnipeg fans at Portage and Main wearing a Jets jersey if Winnipeg wins? Will Winnipeg's mayor (nobody cares who it is) greet Regina fans while wearing a Pats jersey if Regina wins? Will there be an entrance sign at Highway 18 saying "Welcome to (? province): our team beat their team in ATD 10"?

Come on, boys, give us some wagers.

Anyways, first question that stands out is how will Winnipeg handle Regina's team speed? That third line will be key. Provost wasn't a natural skater, but he found a way to get there. And his hockey sense is elite. He was effective against a lot of great skaters. We know what Lehtinen is capable of. I think Hap Day's going to be Winnipeg's key guy. He's mobile, he's aggressive, he's tough and he's smart. I think he's going to be the defenceman that Winnipeg is going to have to lean on for major minutes, especially against that first line.

I have lingering doubts about Ted Green's ability to keep up with some of Regina's forwards. I have significant doubts about Keith Magnusson's ability to keep up. Love Magnusson's intangibles. Don't like his skating.

Keith Primeau could be a key guy, too. He's big, and he's very mobile for a player with his size. It's too bad the concussions happened when they did - he had morphed into the best defensive forward in the league. He would have been a runaway winner for the Selke in 2003-04 if he didn't get hurt.

Winnipeg has blue in their jerseys, and we might want to label their fourth line the Black and Blue line, because they're going to dish out a lot of hits.

It's a good thing the Pats have two excellent bottom two lines. They're going to need them. This was the advantage of 70s finagling. He missed out on a top 30 player ever, but he has tremendous depth, especially for defensive forwards. I expect we'll see a lot of Luce's line against Jagr's line, but I think the Lalonde line is good enough defensively, too, to play against Jagr's line. We'll probably see the Bourne line match up with the Hawerchuk line a lot, too.

Another key player for Regina will be Mortson. Among Regina's defencemen, I think he's best-suited to playing against Jagr due to his skating ability, strength and overall game. But I don't know if he's a natural to log big minutes against Jammy.

I agree with 70s: his edge behind the bench is bigger than VCL's edge in net. I think the world of Sawchuk. No. 3 on my goalie list. Benedict's in the 11-15 list. I think Benedict gets a little overrated around here - I wouldn't take him ahead of Bower - but Benedict's capable of being a first star in a series. So is Sawchuk. Winnipeg has an edge, but not as big as you might think.

I think Patrick's in the top tier for coaches. Not as good as a Bowman or a Blake, but he'd be somewhere between 5th and 7th on my list. Demers and Ruff are bottom tier ATD coaches. They're good enough to be ATD coaches, and I think they'll mesh well together (I think Ruff would love to coach Regina's team, to be honest), but I don't think Demers and Ruff together are in Patrick's class.

This is a tremendous series.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
-Norm Ullman is THE perfect linemate for JJ. The guy played with Lindsay and Howe; he definitely knows how to to feed pucks to a supreme offensive talent, while also being able to score when Jagr decides to feed him.

I think Ron Francis is the perfect linemate for Jagr. Delvecchio would be perfect too. Ullman isn't far behind though. They make a good pair.

Most importantly, he was renowned for his two-way play and forechecking, which will open up room for Jagr and Reg Noble, big time. Legends of Hockey also says he was a tremendous faceoff man, which can't be anything but helpful for us, and harder for Regina to defend against.

And Pete Mahovlich was one of the best faceoff men of his time, if not the best. Ullman will win his share of draws against Lalonde (but watch out for THE SCRATCH!!!*); so will Mahovlich against Hawerchuk.

Again, with Ullman, I see no evidence that he was a defensive forward, just more of a responsible player like an Adam Graves, Jeremy Roenick, or Scott Young. In "Ultimate Hockey", I see a quote from Shack calling him "The hardest-working man in hockey", and they also call him gritty and hard-nosed. "Kings Of the Ice" calls him a superior two-way player, "Players" calls him a good two-way player, and the holy grail, "The Trail Of the Stanley Cup" says nothing in his bio about two-way or defensive play, and that book is usually really good at doing so.

-Dale Hawerchuk>Pete Mahovlich. As simple as that. Actually, while our first lines are fairly close, with the advantage going to you, I'd say my second line is a lot, lot better, mainly because of Hawerchuk. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying your team may lack secondary scoring.

A lot, lot better?

I agree that Mahovlich is not as good as Hawerchuk. That's not all there is to the line, though. A simple starting point to compare second lines would be to add up the top-10 finishes in goals, assists, and points by these guys.

Howe: 6-5-4,
Mahovlich: 1-2-2,
Recchi: 1-4-4.

Hawerchuk: 3-5-4,
Martin: 5-0-1,
Vaive: 3-0-0.

Totals: 8-11-10 for Regina, 11-5-6 for Winnipeg. Seems pretty close to me.

*******(this was edited at 2 AM Saturday - I noticed I had 9-9-9 written for winnipeg and that was inaccurate)******

Narrowing it down to top-5 finishes, Regina is 2-6-6 and Winnipeg 4-3-2. That hints at Regina having more playmaking and balanced offense, less outright goal-scoring.

Narrowing it down to top-2 finishes, Regina totals 0-3-2 in this respect, with all three members of the line contributing at least one top-10 finish. Winnipeg scores 1-0-0 from the time Rick Martin was 2nd in goals.

...Compared to the fleet footed Mahovlich, who outside of two incredible seasons, was extremely average.

That's a little bit of an exaggeration. Mahovlich had his two incredible seasons - 2nd, 3rd in assists and 5th, 6th in points. But he was always right in the mix. He topped out at 10th in goals, but also finished 11th, 13th, and 14th in other seasons. He proved himself throughout the 70's as being able to generate offense by scoring goals, or by setting them up, plus he was a great two-way player.

Vaive I like better than Recchi, because I like that he provides more than one dimension. While Vaive doesn't have the offensive numbers that Recchi does, he provides a lot of toughness,

Vaive is just like my spare Secord, just not as tough and a better scorer (he sustained his success for longer, too) - but those are his only two dimensions. Recchi's two greatest dimensions are the two most important ones: Ability to score goals, and ability to make plays. This is a guy who has led the NHL in assists. Plus he is a good two-way player.

I actually think our second line is kinda similar to the French Connection for Martin, as Hawerchuk and Perreault aren't very different IMO, while Vaive is basically a grittier, more physical, and better offensively version of Robert (yes, that sounds weird, and I think I'm starting to kind of blabber to myself)

Sounds about right.

All 7 of our guys can play with any of your guys! :D

Oh yeah? Well, all 8 of our guys can play with any of your guys! Seriously... Marshall and Roberts. :thumbu:

Mahovlich definitely stands out. Guys like St.Louis and Bourne, while not at all terrible defensively, in an ATD context, can not be commended for their "defensive play".

St. Louis finished 4th in Selke voting and Bourne was 5th too. That alone points to them being better than most everyday forwards defensively, as most players never reach those heights. Bourne, like Mosdell or Pulford or Duff or Metz, was just a fantastic role player on a dynasty, and one of those roles was checking the other team's stars.

Mahovlich killed a lot of penalties in his career; he finished with 19 career shorthanded goals. In the Summit Series, on the World's biggest stage to date, he was lauded for his defensive work and managed to score the goal of the series while shorthanded.

See below. Mahovlich also threw a nice open-ice hit in this game. (You can see a camera flash go off as he scores; I wonder if that is the camera that took the famous picture?)

By the way, check out Yvan's goal. How does anyone defend against that? Especially when it's Coffey feeding him the puck instead of Park. Yikes.

For real? Disagreed, big time. Ullman from what I'm reading would've easily been in consideration for a Selke or two. Above his offensive numbers, he was the middle man of Lindsay and Howe for the one year, and with Howe for a few after that, and while it's unlikely the opposition ever had the puck against those three, from what I've understood, Ullman was just as two-way as Lindsay and Hower during that season, his second in the league, and I don't think his defensive game went anywhere but up after that, along with his offensive game.

Really, I love Ullman, I think you and I just disagree on how good defensively he was. IIUYC, you think he was a Selke candidate; I disagree, he sounds more like one of the better two-way players of his time, among the league's star forwards.

The second line, Vaive was a fairly tenacious forechecker, I think. he was definitely physical, so I'd imagine he'd be a capable forechecker, although you said no one on this line particularly liked it, so if your claiming Vaive floated at times, I'm going to have to look for stuff against that, if you have something to back up your own claim.

I'm assuming you mean to say you assume he's a capable backchecker. Here's what I know:

His obvious effort overshadowed a weakness for poorly timed retalitory penalties and too-long shifts...Mike Keenan, Vaive's worst nightmare. Keenan was abrasive with players and unforgiving of those who didn't meet his standards. Vaive, a mostly one-dimensional player whose offensive production would not improve, was at the top of that list.

-Captains, by Michael Ulmer.

The "one-dimensional" comment is pretty telling; also, the part about taking too-long shifts hints at floating without outright saying it.

The fourth line was built as a scrappy line with a bunch of guys who aren't defensive liabilities, and can provide a bit of offense. Mostly though, yes, this is a grit line, and a pretty good one if I do say so myself, as this line is loaded with some of my personal favourites.

No argument there. That line is as gritty as it gets. They are all decent offensively too - there are no Maltbys there.

I given some offensive analysis, and I'm going to disagree for now that my forwards are weak defensively. Interested in hearing why you claim the "weakness" of my forwards in their own zone, although I've provided some stuff above.

I didn't see you put up a fight regarding Hawerchuk or Martin. I've provided a bit about Vaive. Ullman is good two-ways, Jagr will be more or less a ghost in his own end, and Noble is excellent. Your third line features sick amounts of defensive ability, and your fourth line, as you just said, is not necessarily defensive, just physically punishing.

Feel free to disagree; here are my opinions of how our forwards rate defensively.

Ramsay
Provost
Lehtinen

Nighbor
Luce
Nesterenko
Howe
Noble
Marshall
Risebrough
Bourne
Ullman
Cournoyer
St. Louis
Mahovlich
Primeau
Peplinski

Recchi
Corson
Lalonde
Hawerchuk
Vaive
Jagr
Martin

You've got two absolutely stellar defensive players and three very solid ones, but when I say the holes are there, I'm referring mostly to the bottom four. The fourth line would get the job done in most cases but against this speed, I'm not sure. Corson and Primeau weren't particularly fast. I'm not sure about Peplinski.

I think it could be called a wash. I'm definitely taking it as that until we get into things more. Part of the reason this line was built this way is after I found out you wanted Luce and Ramsay.

Dammit! I really need to start paying attention to who's in my division prior to the 20th round.

Yeah, it could be a wash. According to my list, I've got #1, 5, and 6 on my checking line and you've got # 2, 3, and 10.

* The Scratch:

Walking in together were Newsy Lalonde, an old lacrosse and hockey cut-up who played with Ion on a Vancouver lacrosse team away back in the early 1900s; King Clancy, wiry little- defenceman with the old Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs who refereed a few years with Ion, and Frank Nighbor, the Pembroke peach and famed poke-check artist with the Senators.
The talk got around to Newsy.
"I remember facing off with this 'guy and somebody yelling at me; 'Watch the scratch,' " recalled Clancy. "Scratch? I thought that referred to money. So the next thing I know, I'm getting Newsy's stick all the way up from my knees to my hairline. He creased me good."
"I know all about it," said Nighbor. "Look at me; I hardly have any eyebrows left."
"Yeah," said Lalonde. "But I didn't do it when Mickey was on the ice. He was too smart for me."
Ion sat back and smiled.

Mickey Ion interview, 1961

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
This matchup between the 3rd lines is particularly interesting. I’ve seen a couple of comments that suggest that Winnipeg’s 3rd line will outscore Regina’s 3rd line, and I don’t agree. I think Ramsay and Luce are really being underrated here.

Remember that none of these players will play on the power play – they are all in even strength and penalty killing roles only. Luce and Ramsay are probably the best 2 even strength scorers of this group. They both scored 60-75 points a year in their prime years while rarely playing on the power play.

Power play assists aren’t recorded for the time period they played, only power play goals are recorded. However, I have a pretty good statistical estimator for power play assists, based on the goals the player was on the ice for. After estimating these power play assists and removing power play points from the scoring records, Luce and Ramsay scored at even strength like 1st line forwards. In the 7 year span from 1974-1980, Luce was 12th in the NHL in even-strength points with 365 and Ramsay was 19th with 349. Compare their numbers to scoring line forwards from the same time period like Rick Martin (371 ESP), Lanny McDonald (352 ESP), Bill Barber (348 ESP), Rick MacLeish (333 ESP).

Provost and Lehtinen, on the other hand, both played on the power play. We don’t have power play on-ice numbers for much of Provost’s career, but during his big scoring year of 64-65 11 of his 27 goals were on the PP. This suggests that Provost’s better scoring years came when he got power play time, which he won’t get in his role here. Lehtinen was a constant presence on the Dallas power play, and scored a lot of his points there. As an even-strength player, he was 100th in the league in even-strength points during his 7-year prime (99-06). I'd post comparables but they are basically all undrafted.

Anyway, I thought I’d stick up for Ramsay and Luce here, as I think they are really underrated players. They were great defensive players who could score. While playing against their opponents best lines every night they consistently outscored their opponents, putting up great plus-minuses (much better than their first line teammates in Buffalo did.) I think they would do better in this context with a better finisher on the wing than Nesterenko, but it’s still an excellent line.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
First tough question for this series: what's on the line? Will Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco greet Winnipeg fans at Portage and Main wearing a Jets jersey if Winnipeg wins? Will Winnipeg's mayor (nobody cares who it is) greet Regina fans while wearing a Pats jersey if Regina wins? Will there be an entrance sign at Highway 18 saying "Welcome to (? province): our team beat their team in ATD 10"?

I'm willing to do a wager.

I would put "VCL pwns me!" as my "sub-username-phrase" if VCL would put "seventieslord pwns me!" as his. The winner could change theirs to "I pwn ______", too, if they like.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather see VCL with a giant Flames logo as an avatar.

I'd rather change my user name to seventieslord's ***** than do that.

I think a avatar bet could be epic, but the username title thing sounds good. Come on guys, "VCL pwns!" looks wayyy cooler than "Seventies pwns!". It'd be like I'm making a motion to bring back this:

DEZstillgroovin.jpg

:sarcasm:

Actual responses in a bit.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Will first address posts from the GM's/posters outside of this series:

Anyways, first question that stands out is how will Winnipeg handle Regina's team speed? That third line will be key. Provost wasn't a natural skater, but he found a way to get there. And his hockey sense is elite. He was effective against a lot of great skaters. We know what Lehtinen is capable of. I think Hap Day's going to be Winnipeg's key guy. He's mobile, he's aggressive, he's tough and he's smart. I think he's going to be the defenceman that Winnipeg is going to have to lean on for major minutes, especially against that first line.

I have lingering doubts about Ted Green's ability to keep up with some of Regina's forwards. I have significant doubts about Keith Magnusson's ability to keep up. Love Magnusson's intangibles. Don't like his skating.

Keith Primeau could be a key guy, too. He's big, and he's very mobile for a player with his size. It's too bad the concussions happened when they did - he had morphed into the best defensive forward in the league. He would have been a runaway winner for the Selke in 2003-04 if he didn't get hurt.

Winnipeg has blue in their jerseys, and we might want to label their fourth line the Black and Blue line, because they're going to dish out a lot of hits.

It's a good thing the Pats have two excellent bottom two lines. They're going to need them. This was the advantage of 70s finagling. He missed out on a top 30 player ever, but he has tremendous depth, especially for defensive forwards. I expect we'll see a lot of Luce's line against Jagr's line, but I think the Lalonde line is good enough defensively, too, to play against Jagr's line. We'll probably see the Bourne line match up with the Hawerchuk line a lot, too.

Another key player for Regina will be Mortson. Among Regina's defencemen, I think he's best-suited to playing against Jagr due to his skating ability, strength and overall game. But I don't know if he's a natural to log big minutes against Jammy.

I agree with 70s: his edge behind the bench is bigger than VCL's edge in net. I think the world of Sawchuk. No. 3 on my goalie list. Benedict's in the 11-15 list. I think Benedict gets a little overrated around here - I wouldn't take him ahead of Bower - but Benedict's capable of being a first star in a series. So is Sawchuk. Winnipeg has an edge, but not as big as you might think.

I think Patrick's in the top tier for coaches. Not as good as a Bowman or a Blake, but he'd be somewhere between 5th and 7th on my list. Demers and Ruff are bottom tier ATD coaches. They're good enough to be ATD coaches, and I think they'll mesh well together (I think Ruff would love to coach Regina's team, to be honest), but I don't think Demers and Ruff together are in Patrick's class.

This is a tremendous series.

Thanks GBC. As usual, well thought out, objective, and great analysis.

A couple things:

-Didn't Green play with Orr for a major portion of time? If Green was fast enough to partner with Orr, he can't have been that bad of a skater, although I'm guessing Bobby would probably skate up ice, while Terrible Ted would be the "defensive conscience" for Bobby Orr. No, I'm not saying he was better than Orr defensively, but if they actually were paired together, he can't have been a bad skater.

-Gary Bergman is our seventh defensemen. Keith Magnusson is our sixth. While Magnusson is better defensively, Bergman is a better skater by miles. Might not be the best idea to have a Reinhart-Bergman pairing, as both liked to rush the puck up the ice, but if needed, we definitely have that option. Even if we keep Magnusson in the lineup though, it'll be as our number 6 guy, it's unlikely he'll ever be left on the ice facing a 2-on-1 against Lalonde and Cournoyer.

-I'm going to adress the coaching/goalie advantage in my next post in response to seventies.

This matchup between the 3rd lines is particularly interesting. I’ve seen a couple of comments that suggest that Winnipeg’s 3rd line will outscore Regina’s 3rd line, and I don’t agree. I think Ramsay and Luce are really being underrated here.

Remember that none of these players will play on the power play – they are all in even strength and penalty killing roles only. Luce and Ramsay are probably the best 2 even strength scorers of this group. They both scored 60-75 points a year in their prime years while rarely playing on the power play.

Power play assists aren’t recorded for the time period they played, only power play goals are recorded. However, I have a pretty good statistical estimator for power play assists, based on the goals the player was on the ice for. After estimating these power play assists and removing power play points from the scoring records, Luce and Ramsay scored at even strength like 1st line forwards. In the 7 year span from 1974-1980, Luce was 12th in the NHL in even-strength points with 365 and Ramsay was 19th with 349. Compare their numbers to scoring line forwards from the same time period like Rick Martin (371 ESP), Lanny McDonald (352 ESP), Bill Barber (348 ESP), Rick MacLeish (333 ESP).

Provost and Lehtinen, on the other hand, both played on the power play. We don’t have power play on-ice numbers for much of Provost’s career, but during his big scoring year of 64-65 11 of his 27 goals were on the PP. This suggests that Provost’s better scoring years came when he got power play time, which he won’t get in his role here. Lehtinen was a constant presence on the Dallas power play, and scored a lot of his points there. As an even-strength player, he was 100th in the league in even-strength points during his 7-year prime (99-06). I'd post comparables but they are basically all undrafted.

Anyway, I thought I’d stick up for Ramsay and Luce here, as I think they are really underrated players. They were great defensive players who could score. While playing against their opponents best lines every night they consistently outscored their opponents, putting up great plus-minuses (much better than their first line teammates in Buffalo did.) I think they would do better in this context with a better finisher on the wing than Nesterenko, but it’s still an excellent line.

Thanks for the post overpass. It's always nice to have a poster who isn't a GM comment on a series.

As for the post...I definitely didn't like it, one bit, but I admit to learning a few things, and in the end, I guess that's not so bad, as we're all in this to learn and have fun, while winning is always just bonus.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Thanks, but I didn't feel like I did. At the end I felt like I could have done better. Remember, I said later on that I thought your team was better in retrospect.

It hurts to think this series can be as close as the last. That is not a comment on your team at all, actually, it's a comment on mine and a comment on the parity in the league in general. I think this team is better than my last in every imaginable way except in net. And now it's a 4th seeded team playing a 5th, instead of vice-versa. problem is, this 5th place team is also significantly better than the 4th and 5th seeds of last draft.

Every GM is getting smarter. It's almost scary how good every team is, but I honestly believe that for once, the division champ will not win it all.

Coaching can be a major factor for two reasons: 1) You have an elite coach. 2) You have the right coach for your team, and vice versa. We have both. I think it is significant but obviously you will downplay it. ;)

Yup. I'm not going to deny it, you have an advantage. But let's look at how GM's, or a specific GM factors in coaching:

In case anyone is curious, my system is a scoring system out of 100.

First line: 10.8% (this is based on the actual personnel and the configuration)
Second line: 8.8%
Third line: 7.2%
Fourth Line: 6.0% (3rd and 4th lines are based on my own ideas of what I like to see in a 3rd and 4th line)
Defense corps: 26.5% (based on the actual personnel and the configuration of pairings)
Goaltending: 23% (based on proper weightings on strength of starter, strength of backup, and compatibility of backup)
Coaching: 3% (based on coach's credentials and suitability for team)
Taxi squad: 4.5% (teams who chose a 2nd coach did better in coaching if I thought it helped, but it hurt their taxi squad - I look at versatility and talent level of the players and overall versatility of the group)
All-timeness: 2.6% (I can't think of a better catch phrase for this - it means the more spread out over eras you are, the better you'll do here)
Leadership: 2% (based on who I think the captain and assistants should be and who you chose)
Special teams: 5.6% (this may not seem like much but it is indirectly considered already in the strength of forwards and defensemen, this just gives extra credit for having that top-end offensive or defensive ability on the roster)

3%, eh? :D ;)

(I'm pretty sure LL took Kaberle as a 7th this time... or are you referring to Mike Green? He went in MLD9! :p:)

You beat me to it... You can't tell by the times, but I swear I was already writing my last reply before yours was posted. I am fully guilty of underrating Hap Day. He's actually quite similar to Mantha - I'd put Mantha ahead (not slightly, not drastically, either - just ahead) defensively, Day ahead (in the same way) offensively, and both have the leadership experience too. I think the other GMs agree they're similar, too. Mantha has been selected just 7 spots higher than Day over ATD7, 8, and 9.

The differences - They played at the same time, and Mantha was able to lead the Habs to 3 cups, while Day could only do it once. (although he came up really big in that cup win) And Mantha has the two AST nominations. They're only 10 months apart in age so Day certainly had as much opportunity to take those spots as Mantha did. Am I perhaps being too generous in labelling Day great defensively in my prior post? The reason I ask is, he was consistently 4th-6th in scoring by a defenseman in 31, 32, 33, 34, and 36, but didn't get on the All-star team. If you're top-5 in points and play good D, aren't you a no-brainer AST choice?

I have no idea, and I probably couldn't tell you to be honest, because I don't think there is anything to suggest as to why he didn't get the AS selections online. I think it'd be reasonable to assume that maybe he wasn't that best defensive player, compared to say Mantha, but pretty damn good nonetheless.

Kinda like coaching? ;)

I like my coaching advantage better than your goaltending advantage... just sayin'!

Your 3% coaching advantage compared to my 23% goaltending? ;)

I'm just bugging you by exaggerating, but that IS your rating system. Let's look at it like this:

We both agree I have the goaltending advantage, while you have the coaching advantage. But even if your coaching advantage is bigger than my goaltending advantage, we have to put it into context, if we're using your system. Okay, so maybe the gap between Patrick and Demers/Ruff is the 3rd-5th best coach vs. the 19th-26th best coach(es) when looking purely at how many others are between them than Sawchuk (3-5) and Benedict (9-15) (numbers that are IMO in the neighbourhood of what they actually are), gives your coaching the advantage, but you yourself say that goaltending means a lot more. Sure, you also factored in your backup to the rating system, so fine, you can give Rayner some points over Ranford (whose a pretty good backup himself), but overall, if we're looking at those two departments together, and leaving the rest out of it, I'd say Winnipeg has the advantage.

Of course, while I think you came up with a great system for analyzing teams, that can't be the entire discussion ender, but it's something to consider, IMO.

All-rookie team? Come on.....

Anyway, the rest is all great, and I love Jagr. It's sad to see how many of us tear him down. At best, Lalonde is his equal offensively. At worst, you're right and Jagr is the best offensive player. Lalonde crushes him in the intangibles, though. Jagr's not as bad a leader as others have said - he's carried teams on his back - but he is no Lalonde. He isn't as physical, doesn't fight, and is hit and miss with the backchecking. It is this kind of stuff that put Lalonde so close to Jagr on the HOH top-100 list. both guys were, in my opinion, THE skater of their era and should have ranked even higher but weren't due to suspicions about their eras.

Lalonde's achievements match up very well to Jagr's though:

- Cups: He has one cup, and whether you want to credit him with a 2nd considering how well he was playing, or call it half a cup, 1919 has to count for something. At the worst, he'd be a cup finalist that season.

- Harts/Pearsons: Ultimate Hockey credits him with six retro Harts (arbitrary, I know, but it would be just as arbitrary for me to analyze each season myself and there could be perceptions of bias that way. This way it is at least a reputable source) - 1908, 1912, 1914, 1916, 1919, 1923. Now, in fairness, these were all in splitered leagues. What this means is that he was the best player in his league, but not necessarily the best in all of hockey. To properly judge these seasons I feel you have to consider hockey as one giant entity and not just look at an individual league, then let the speculation begin. The "other" players to win retro Harts these years were Phillips, Ronan, Dunderdale, Johnson, Taylor, and Benedict/Mackay, respectively.
1) I can admit that Phillips was probably better than a green Lalonde in 1908.
2) In 1923 Lalonde was in the WCHL which was probably a bit weaker, plus he was 35. Then again, MacKay was 30 and was probably never as good as Lalonde, and Benedict was 32. This may be Lalonde's Hart but it is not definitive.
3) In 1919 let's give the Hart to Taylor from the PCHA just to avoid an argument, because statistically he had as amazing a year as Lalonde.
4) In 1914 I'm not sure why they'd award it to him. he missed 6 games and he was 3rd in goals per game. It's possible his intangibles carried him past Hyland and Smith, who outscored him, but missing 30% of the schedule usually would preclude you from winning. I would love to say I trust their judgment but he's not a great choice here.
That still leaves two "good" Harts for Lalonde - 1912 and 1916. One more than Jagr, but then Jagr has the 3 Pearsons. The other four times for Lalonde would certainly count as instances of being a Hart "finalist" - meaning both guys did this six times.

- Scoring Titles: Lalonde led his league in scoring five times. So did Jagr. But this goes back to the splinter league thing. Let's take a quick look and speculate some more, using the facts that we know:
1) 1908. Lalonde had the most goals across both leagues, as well as most per-game. But the OPHL had very few ATD-caliber players. The ECAHA had plenty. Scoring title: NO.
2) 1910. Lalonde scored 38 goals in 11 games. Oren Frood led the OPHL with 34 in 17. Lalonde led 2nd place by 7 goals, Frood led hs league by two. Lalonde had more goals, as well as more per game. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHA. The NHA had 16 ATD players plus three goalies, all of whom Lalonde faced. The OPHL had two ATD players, plus one goalie whom Frood did not have to play. Scoring title: ABSOLUTELY.
3) 1912. Lalonde scored 15 goals in 27 games in the PCHA to lead the league. Skene Ronan had 35 in 18 in the NHA. Both players played the full schedule. Scoring in the PCHA was a goal per game higher than in the NHA. Ten of the 23 PCHA players were selected in ATD10 (44%). 15 of the 38 NHA players were selected in ATD10 (39%). Scoring title: DEBATABLE.
4) 1919. Lalonde led the NHL in goals, assists, and points. 32-11-43. Taylor led the PCHA with 23-13-36. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHL. The NHA had 18 ATDers, the PCHA 13. Both leagues had 3 teams. Scoring title: MOST LIKELY.
5) 1921. Lalonde led the NHL in points with 43. He led 2nd and 3rd place by 3 and 4 points. The PCHA's leading scorer was Fred Harris, who had 32 points, leading 2nd and 3rd by 1 and 2 points. Scoring was a goal per game higher in the NHL. the NHL had 18 ATDers, the PCHA 15. Scoring Title: MOST LIKELY.

That would be one definite scoring title, two most likely scoring titles, and one that is debatable. Since this is all speculation anyway, I may as well put what I'm trying to say into numbers. (1)1 + 2(.75) + (1).5 = 3. Looks good to me.

Due to his era, I can't exactly cite all the times Lalonde made the All-Star team, as they didn't exist. But let's speculate. It would be safe to say that in 1908, 1909, 1910, 1912, 1914, 1916, 1917, 1919, 1920, 1921, and 1923, Lalonde was among the top-6 forwards in hockey, or top-2 centres, or top-2 Rovers, or however you want to put it. This is backed up by his scoring rankings, year by year, as shown in his bio post. That is potentially eleven all-star team selections, had they existed back then, give or take one or two.

More to come later. This is hella fun!

Interesting to say the least. I'd like to do a statistical breakdown like you've so wonderfully done, but I don't have the time, nor the knowledge/sources to pull it off.

My short feelings after reading that is, I'd still give Jagr the edge offensively, although Lalonde is a pretty damn impressive player himself. While I do and don't understand why Jagr is regularly taken in the first round, because he has top-15 ever talent, I can clearly see what you mean about Lalonde. Along with those numbers, if he did provide the intangibles you talk about, what I'm kinda picturing is a hybrid of Mark Messier and Peter Forsberg. I may be off on this, but based on what you've posted, I think I'm pretty close.

And no, I didn't type this entire thing out in 30 seconds, I just thought I should probably respond to the others first since they took the time to come into the thread and share their feelings/opinions.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think Ron Francis is the perfect linemate for Jagr. Delvecchio would be perfect too. Ullman isn't far behind though. They make a good pair.

Ullman however, is a much better player than Francis. Delvecchio is arguable, but I like Ullman over him as well, and I also think Ullman is just as good of a fit.

And Pete Mahovlich was one of the best faceoff men of his time, if not the best. Ullman will win his share of draws against Lalonde (but watch out for THE SCRATCH!!!*); so will Mahovlich against Hawerchuk.

Again, with Ullman, I see no evidence that he was a defensive forward, just more of a responsible player like an Adam Graves, Jeremy Roenick, or Scott Young. In "Ultimate Hockey", I see a quote from Shack calling him "The hardest-working man in hockey", and they also call him gritty and hard-nosed. "Kings Of the Ice" calls him a superior two-way player, "Players" calls him a good two-way player, and the holy grail, "The Trail Of the Stanley Cup" says nothing in his bio about two-way or defensive play, and that book is usually really good at doing so.

Again with the modern analogies, I'm picturing a center equivalent of Marian Hossa. Hossa has always been known as a two-way player, but no one ever really raves about his "defensive play". I'd imagine Ullman to be similar. He killed penalties, forechecked and did his job, but wasn't a noticable defensive standout like a Carbonneau or anything.

I've tried looking up SH goals from Ullman to prove that he penalty killed often, instead I come across the Leafs message board and a ATD on that board. Is that moderator, with the username seventieslord, and the same avy, by any chance, happen to be you? :)

A lot, lot better?

I agree that Mahovlich is not as good as Hawerchuk. That's not all there is to the line, though. A simple starting point to compare second lines would be to add up the top-10 finishes in goals, assists, and points by these guys.

Howe: 6-5-4,
Mahovlich: 1-2-2,
Recchi: 1-4-4.

Hawerchuk: 3-5-4,
Martin: 5-0-1,
Vaive: 3-0-0.

Totals: 8-11-10 for Regina, 9-9-9 for Winnipeg. Seems pretty close to me.

Narrowing it down to top-5 finishes, Regina is 2-6-6 and Winnipeg 4-3-2. That hints at Regina having more playmaking and balanced offense, less outright goal-scoring.

Narrowing it down to top-2 finishes, Regina totals 0-3-2 in this respect, with all three members of the line contributing at least one top-10 finish. Winnipeg scores 1-0-0 from the time Rick Martin was 2nd in goals.

Meh. You've got me there, somewhat. I don't have time now, because if I pull out an argument here, it'll be long. So I'll save this for later.

That's a little bit of an exaggeration. Mahovlich had his two incredible seasons - 2nd, 3rd in assists and 5th, 6th in points. But he was always right in the mix. He topped out at 10th in goals, but also finished 11th, 13th, and 14th in other seasons. He proved himself throughout the 70's as being able to generate offense by scoring goals, or by setting them up, plus he was a great two-way player.

Of course it's slightly an exaggeration, but that doesn't mean my point doesn't still stand. :D

Yet, I really fail to see how you can call Mahovlich a great two-way player, and not give Ullman credit for that. I know we were comparing Mahovlich to Hawerchuk, but if you don't want to consider the hardest working player of his era as a very good/elite player in his own end, I fail to see how you can credit a guy who was known to have talent, but was extremely lazy at times, and by all accounts didn't see/think the game very well (the biggest aspect of good defensive play, IMO, along with speed, which Mahovlich doesn't really have).

Vaive is just like my spare Secord, just not as tough and a better scorer (he sustained his success for longer, too) - but those are his only two dimensions. Recchi's two greatest dimensions are the two most important ones: Ability to score goals, and ability to make plays. This is a guy who has led the NHL in assists. Plus he is a good two-way player.

I'd agree that Secord is a feisty guy who had some talent, but based on you're post, I'm taking it as you're either pimping Secord as a second liner, which he isn't, or you're trying to say Vaive is a spare, which I respectfully disagree with. Hopefully I'm not putting words in your mouth, as I'm not trying to, just the way I think I took that part of your post.

Again, Recchi is a good two-way player based on what exactly? IIRC, I think he did kill penalties at times, and is/was one of the smarter players in the league, from what I've seen/heard. But throughout most of his career, Mark Recchi was just a smallish scoring winger who benefitted from playing with guys like Lemieux and Primeau. Big dominant centers who allowed him to do his little thing offensively.

St. Louis finished 4th in Selke voting and Bourne was 5th too. That alone points to them being better than most everyday forwards defensively, as most players never reach those heights. Bourne, like Mosdell or Pulford or Duff or Metz, was just a fantastic role player on a dynasty, and one of those roles was checking the other team's stars.

Again, probably an exaggeration on my part. Didn't realize St.Louis finished that high in Selke voting. Curious, what year was that? 03-04? (I'm actually asking seriously here, not accusing, in case it seems like I am)

Mahovlich killed a lot of penalties in his career; he finished with 19 career shorthanded goals. In the Summit Series, on the World's biggest stage to date, he was lauded for his defensive work and managed to score the goal of the series while shorthanded.

Dale Hawerchuk finished his shorter career with 13. He too was a pretty good PK'er then.

See below. Mahovlich also threw a nice open-ice hit in this game. (You can see a camera flash go off as he scores; I wonder if that is the camera that took the famous picture?)

By the way, check out Yvan's goal. How does anyone defend against that? Especially when it's Coffey feeding him the puck instead of Park. Yikes.

Thanks for the video link, I'd like to watch that again more closely when I have the time. Oh, and how do you defend against that? Easy, you get the ATD 10 version of the Winnipeg Jets! ;)

(I'm assuming that was a rhetorical question, hence my sadistic response.)

Really, I love Ullman, I think you and I just disagree on how good defensively he was. IIUYC, you think he was a Selke candidate; I disagree, he sounds more like one of the better two-way players of his time, among the league's star forwards.

That's fairly fair, I guess. Until I have the info to prove otherwise, I'm going to use a quote from GBC here:

Most players in Sloan's time were very good defensively. You had to be. If you weren't, you either had to be a truly elite offensive player (ie: an HHOFer), or you lost your job to one of the many other players who couldn't get a job because there were only six teams. Tod Sloan would not hold on to a job if he didn't backcheck. And the same goes for most players in the Original 6 days.

Technically doesn't apply, as Ullman was a HHOF calibre player offensively, but more of what I'm trying to get at is that most players during that O6 period were good defensively, and for Ullman to be among the better players with the stars of the league, and to have players saying he was the best two-way forward, in a time where everyone was decent defensively; that has to count for something, and points to Norm Ullman being a solid player in his own end.

I'm assuming you mean to say you assume he's a capable backchecker. Here's what I know:

-Captains, by Michael Ulmer.

The "one-dimensional" comment is pretty telling; also, the part about taking too-long shifts hints at floating without outright saying it.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Anyways, I'm going to take a guess, but that quote was referring to him right before he was traded from Toronto. This is where coaching becomes an issue; if a player is tuning out a coach, he is clearly more likely to float/not backcheck. This I believe was the case here, so other than that, through his career, Vaive was a very capable backchecker, the way I see it. This is the only example of where someone states that he is a lazy player.

No argument there. That line is as gritty as it gets. They are all decent offensively too - there are no Maltbys there.

Yeah, I'd think our fourth lines are pretty close. I'd give yours the advantage defensively, but I like the intangibles and offense of ours.

I didn't see you put up a fight regarding Hawerchuk or Martin. I've provided a bit about Vaive. Ullman is good two-ways, Jagr will be more or less a ghost in his own end, and Noble is excellent. Your third line features sick amounts of defensive ability, and your fourth line, as you just said, is not necessarily defensive, just physically punishing.

I gotta go do some homework soon, so this will come in my next post. I do have a case though, for both those guys. Hawerchuk, I've said a bit about already.

Feel free to disagree; here are my opinions of how our forwards rate defensively.

Ramsay
Provost
Lehtinen

Nighbor
Luce
Nesterenko
Howe
Noble
Marshall
Risebrough
Bourne
Ullman
Cournoyer
St. Louis
Mahovlich
Primeau
Peplinski

Recchi
Corson
Lalonde
Hawerchuk
Vaive
Jagr
Martin

You've got two absolutely stellar defensive players and three very solid ones, but when I say the holes are there, I'm referring mostly to the bottom four. The fourth line would get the job done in most cases but against this speed, I'm not sure. Corson and Primeau weren't particularly fast. I'm not sure about Peplinski.

I disagree with a quite a lot of that actually, but I'm sure both of us are at least a little biased, so opinions for sure will vary.

I have it something close to, or like this:

Provost
Ramsay
Lehtinen
Nighbor
Luce

Noble
Nesterenko
Howe

Ullman
Marshall
Risebrough
Bourne
Cournoyer

Primeau
St. Louis
Peplinski
Vaive
Corson
Hawerchuk

Recchi
Mahovlich
Lalonde

Jagr
Martin

Dammit! I really need to start paying attention to who's in my division prior to the 20th round.

LOL, don't worry, my teams have always had a solid checking line, and since the start of the draft, I had planned to do it again. When I found out you wanted those guys, I just knew we'd have to continue the Jets tradition.

Yeah, it could be a wash. According to my list, I've got #1, 5, and 6 on my checking line and you've got # 2, 3, and 10.

Honestly, I think an argument could be made for either line, that favours one of them, but in the end, I think it'd be so ridiculously close, that it would still basically be a moot point. Just my feelings on the matter.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yup. I'm not going to deny it, you have an advantage. But let's look at how GM's, or a specific GM factors in coaching:

3%, eh? :D ;)

Your 3% coaching advantage compared to my 23% goaltending? ;)

I'm just bugging you by exaggerating, but that IS your rating system. Let's look at it like this:

We both agree I have the goaltending advantage, while you have the coaching advantage. But even if your coaching advantage is bigger than my goaltending advantage, we have to put it into context, if we're using your system. Okay, so maybe the gap between Patrick and Demers/Ruff is the 3rd-5th best coach vs. the 19th-26th best coach(es) when looking purely at how many others are between them than Sawchuk (3-5) and Benedict (9-15) (numbers that are IMO in the neighbourhood of what they actually are), gives your coaching the advantage, but you yourself say that goaltending means a lot more. Sure, you also factored in your backup to the rating system, so fine, you can give Rayner some points over Ranford (whose a pretty good backup himself), but overall, if we're looking at those two departments together, and leaving the rest out of it, I'd say Winnipeg has the advantage.

Of course, while I think you came up with a great system for analyzing teams, that can't be the entire discussion ender, but it's something to consider, IMO.

Oh, SNAP!

Nice, very nice.

Now, allow me to justify my position. That was for regular season rankings. What my rating system boiled down to, is that the coach played a greater part than any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line forward or any extra player. Sort of middle of the pack. With regular season rankings I'm making the assumption that you're facing everone a few times and seeing a fair representation of what's out there.

In the playoffs, though, it's different. You hear all the time that a coach gets outcoached in the playoffs, and it's a true factor. In the same way, you can hear that a goaltender stole a series or laid an egg. I'd be willing to say that in the playoffs, goaltending and coaching are equal factors. Matchups are so much more important than the individual player-by-player ranking system I use in the regular season.

Coaches are a lot more stable. they're not an X-factor like a goalie. For most of their careers, they are what they are. there aren't a lot of examples of a coach really risng to the occasion or dropping the ball. With a goalie, it's so hard to say that he will steal a series or lose it by himself - even if a goalie has a history of doing so, it's not like anyone does it every single series. For example, i doubt that anyone will be looking at the Pittsburgh series and saying "If I roll a 5 or a 6, I'll say Patrick roy steals this series despite anything else". In reality, we look at the matchup and say "Patrick Roy is the better goalie and could steal the series".

Maybe I'm babbling now.... matchups important, itemizations, not so much.

I have no idea, and I probably couldn't tell you to be honest, because I don't think there is anything to suggest as to why he didn't get the AS selections online. I think it'd be reasonable to assume that maybe he wasn't that best defensive player, compared to say Mantha, but pretty damn good nonetheless.

That is my guess too.

Interesting to say the least. I'd like to do a statistical breakdown like you've so wonderfully done, but I don't have the time, nor the knowledge/sources to pull it off.

My short feelings after reading that is, I'd still give Jagr the edge offensively, although Lalonde is a pretty damn impressive player himself. While I do and don't understand why Jagr is regularly taken in the first round, because he has top-15 ever talent, I can clearly see what you mean about Lalonde. Along with those numbers, if he did provide the intangibles you talk about, what I'm kinda picturing is a hybrid of Mark Messier and Peter Forsberg. I may be off on this, but based on what you've posted, I think I'm pretty close.

I wouldn't say Forsberg.... definitely Messier, but more of a goalscorer and less of a playmaker. Like Messier, he was fast, tough, the best leader of his time, admired but detested by opponents, and had the double-edged sword potential to hurt the team with a penalty or suspension (unfortunately)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad