ATD #10, Foster Hewitt Quarterfinals. Dallas Blackhawks (7) vs Kenora Thirstles (2)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dallas Blackhawks​

GM: cottonking
Coach: Ken Hitchcock

Dave Andreychuk - Eric Lindros - Lanny MacDonald (A)
Ken Linseman - Neal Broten - Brian Bellows
Mike Mcphee - John Madden - John Maclean
Gordon Berenson - Dale Hunter (A) - Claude Lemieux
extras: Garry Unger, Marian Hossa

Larry Robinson - Butch Bouchard (C)
Chris Pronger - Randy Carlyle
Leo Boivin - Calle Johansson
extra: Al Iafrate

Ken Dryden
Tony Esposito

Power play units:
PP1: Dave Andreychuk - Eric Lindros - Lanny Mcdonald - Chris Pronger - Calle Johansson
PP2: Claude Lemieux - Dale Hunter - Brian Bellows - Larry Robinson - Randy Carlyle

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Ken Linseman - John Madden - Larry Robinson - Butch Bouchard
PK2: Mike Mcphee - Neal Broten - Chris Pronger - Leo Boivin

VS

Kenora Thistles

GM: papershoes
Coaches: Punch Imlach, Bob Pulford

Toe Blake (C) - Elmer Lach (A) - Guy Lafleur
Clark Gillies - Marcel Dionne - Vladimir Martinec
Bob Pulford - Kris Draper - Kirk Maltby
Venjamin Alexandrov - Frank Fredrickson - Paul Henderson
extras: Dave Schultz

Red Kelly (A) - J.C. Tremblay
Silas Griffis - Mike Grant
Harry Mummery - Tomas Jonsson
extra: Bob Turner

Hap Holmes
Lorne Chabot

Power play units:
PP1: Toe Blake - Elmer Lach - Guy Lafleur - Red Kelly - J.C. Tremblay
PP2: Clark Gillies - Marcel Dionne - Vladimir Martinec - Tomas Jonsson - Mike Grant

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Bob Pulford - Kris Draper - Red Kelly - Harry Mummery
PK2: Toe Blake - Elmer Lach - J.C. Tremblay - Mike Grant

Last edited:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
first off, good luck ck - count me among the fans of the team you've built. this will be one hell of a match-up.

i'll try to post more thoughts soon

Diving Pokecheck*

Ken Dryden played best behind a rock-solid defense, and that is just what he'll be doing with the Blackhawks. On the flip side, Kenora's offense is going to score much more goals than Dallas's.
I think we're going to see an offense vs. defense matchup this series. The Blackhawks' great D is going to have its hands full with two solid scoring lines, including a monstrous neo-punchline.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I voted Dallas as a #2 seed in this division, but I think the playoffs could be their downfall. I'm sure many disagree with that assessment, but this team really reminds me of the 07-08 Anaheim Ducks squad, but maybe better defensively and worse offensively. A team that will be in tough to score, and while they're solid defensively, they have a tons of undisciplined players who in turn could put them a man short quite a bit. Regarding Kenora, I see them as sort of a kryptonite against this Dallas team. Ridiculously strong offensively, but almost more importantly just a sick powerplay. Conversley I think Dallas' best chance at winning is capitalizing with their own powerplay(which I imagine will be pretty underrated). Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see even strength goals go the way of the dinosaur in this series.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think this is the most intriguing 2 vs. 7 match-up since Nalyd vs. Spit in ATD 7.

For one thing, it's a total contrast in style. Kenora has tremendous speed and offensive depth. They're probably the most explosive team in the draft. And not just up front, either. They have elite offensive defencemen in Kelly and Tremblay.

Dallas, meanwhile, is loaded with robust physical players who love to hit. Their team defence is outstanding.

I think one of the most interesting match-ups in the draft is Kenora's top two lines against Robinson and Pronger. Robinson or Pronger will likely be on the ice for 45 to 50 minutes per night. They're two of the best in the draft at combining size, speed and hockey sense. Robinson's still the standard for the big, skilled, mobile defenceman. He can hit, too. Pronger's the closest we've seen to Pronger, but he lacks Pronger's consistency. They have the mobility to keep up with the Lach line and the Dionne line.

I don't know if the same could be said for Leo Boivin - a rock in his own zone, but not the most fleet of foot for defencemen. Paul Henderson said Boivin was nicknamed "The Fire Hydrant." Can a guy with that moniker thrive against guys like Blake and Lafleur? And how will he do against a transition game that boasts Kelly (one of the best offensive defenceman the game will ever see) and J.C. Tremblay, who should be in the HHOF?

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Kenora has the top four, maybe the top five, offensive threats in this series.

Dallas has a big edge in net. Not only do they have far and away the best goalie in the series, I think they have the second-best. It's been a long time since we've said that. Holmes and Chabot are probably upper-tier back-ups. Chabot played his way out of New York in the 32 playoffs.

And I think Dallas has an edge behind the bench. I think Imlach's a better coach than Hitchcock. And I don't think it's close. But Dallas has a team that is tailor-made for Hitchcock. You can't say the same for Kenora. No assistant coach will change the fact that Imlach is not a good match for Kenora. If Dallas gets ahead by a couple games, the mutiny could begin.

The bottom line for this series is: will Dallas be able to score enough goals to win? It's a favourable situation for them to score goals - the opponent has arguably the worst goaltending in the draft and they favour a wide-open offensive style. If you think Dallas can score enough goals - and it is a tough question, they have the worst offence in the draft - then you have to pick them. If you don't think they can score, go with Kenora.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You sure you didn't mean to say Robinson is the closest thing we've seen to Pronger, but he lacks Pronger's consistency?
I know you're joking, but I will explain the consistency complaint for Pronger...

Pronger could have been one of the top 10 to 15 defencemen of all-time, but he ran into two problems: injuries and consistency. The injury bug probably cost him the Norris in 2001 and 2007. But consistency is a greater issue.

When he's on, I think Pronger is the most valuable player in the league. He dominates all aspects of the game in a way that nobody else can. He showed it in 2000; he showed it in the 2006 and 2007 playoffs. But he doesn't always bring his A game. We saw it last season. We saw it in the 2005-06 regular season. We saw it in 2001-02. And we saw it in most of his playoff performances in St. Louis.

He's so friggin' big, mobile, talented and mean. Every scout will spend 15 years seeking the next Pronger. And you always here scouts talk about this defenceman or that defenceman as the next Pronger. It's just too bad Pronger could string the dominant seasons together.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ken Dryden played best behind a rock-solid defense, and that is just what he'll be doing with the Blackhawks. On the flip side, Kenora's offense is going to score much more goals than Dallas's.
I think we're going to see an offense vs. defense matchup this series. The Blackhawks' great D is going to have its hands full with two solid scoring lines, including a monstrous neo-punchline.

I wouldn't put it that way. That's just like saying Kenora is going to win.

They're a more offensive team, for sure, and I'm sure they scored a lot more goals than Dallas in this imaginary regular season we just played. But they probably allowed more too. As easy as it is for them to score goals, it is that easy for Dallas to stop goals. If Dallas wins this series, the highest scoring game will be 3-2..... after 28 minutes of OT!

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
...A team that will be in tough to score, and while they're solid defensively, they have a tons of undisciplined players who in turn could put them a man short quite a bit. Regarding Kenora, I see them as sort of a kryptonite against this Dallas team. Ridiculously strong offensively, but almost more importantly just a sick powerplay.

i believe this is one of our keys to victory. as you mentioned, dallas has a number of undisciplined players that will spend plenty of time in the penalty box.

the kenora powerplay, rated as the top in the division, can capitalize equally with TWO powerplay lines. the dallas pk is good but, i don't think they can continually stop a two-line onslaught led by the likes of lafleur, dionne, martinec, kelly, and tremblay.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Let me just say right now, I had the Blackhawks a lot, lot higher than this.

I'm really interested in this matchup. You know, if we didn't release the seeds for the teams, I would've guessed this to a be a 4-5 matchup, because I don't think very much separates these teams. Not that very much separates any team, but still.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
I think this is the most intriguing 2 vs. 7 match-up since Nalyd vs. Spit in ATD 7.

For one thing, it's a total contrast in style. Kenora has tremendous speed and offensive depth. They're probably the most explosive team in the draft. And not just up front, either. They have elite offensive defencemen in Kelly and Tremblay.

Dallas, meanwhile, is loaded with robust physical players who love to hit. Their team defence is outstanding.

i'm trying to respond to the previous posts before i begin my own analysis.

i agree with gbc - this is definitely a match-up of contrasting styles - an offensive juggernaut versus a defensive machine. while it's difficult to argue that dallas' team defence is strong, it seems as though the team defence of the thistles is being slightly underrated. our offensively explosive first line has two of the finest two-way players in blake and lach. this line can confidently be put out in all situations, playing against any of dallas' lines. additionally, gillies brings the defensive awareness necessary for the second line to be used extensively as well. therefore, as a whole, i believe my top two-lines are much better suited for a two-way game then dallas' top two. the presence of two-way players such as lach and blake (and, to a lesser extent, gillies) makes dallas' difficulty in scoring goals that much more difficult - as the dionne and lafleur lines will be seeing LOTS of icetime.

my third line is loaded with three multiple cup winners (all three of which have 4 cups each) that are defensively responsible. all three have been instrumental as a defensive presence in numerous cup winners.

finally, though my defence may not appear to be as defensive as the blackhawks (and certainly not nearly as big), they are certainly not one-way, offensive, players. kelly, though regarded as a premier offensive defensman, was no slouch in the defensive zone. his hockey sense allowed him to succeed as both a defenseman and a centre.
greatest hockey legends said:
Yet as good as he was offensively, he was better defensively. He had an uncanny knack of reading plays and breaking them up, and he controlled the puck in his own zone adeptly. To make his defensive legend even more impressive, Kelly excelled without taking many penalties himself.
jc tremblay was a highly regarded offensive catalyst but, was considered a very strong two-way defenceman who turned his game up several notches in the playoffs.
greatest hockey legends said:
He was tremendously responsible defensively and a great two way defenseman, often headmanning the puck to the speedy Montreal forwards
mike grant and, to a lesser extent, silas griffis, provide a strong defensive presence. and, harry mummery provides size, grit, and defensive presence. and, should we feel our defense is not strong enough, we can always sub in the 5-time cup-winning defensive defensman bob turner.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Dallas has a big edge in net. Not only do they have far and away the best goalie in the series, I think they have the second-best. It's been a long time since we've said that. Holmes and Chabot are probably upper-tier back-ups. Chabot played his way out of New York in the 32 playoffs.

i agree - dryden definitely has an advantage in net. as for esposito, he's certainly the better goalie in the regular season but, both chabot and holmes, our starter, have him licked in the playoffs. i'll make my case for holmes later but, i believe he's very much a lower-tier #1 in the all-time draft. he was an integral part backstopping 4 different teams to 4 stanley cups. he's certainly no dryden but, he won't lose us any games as well.

And I think Dallas has an edge behind the bench. I think Imlach's a better coach than Hitchcock. And I don't think it's close. But Dallas has a team that is tailor-made for Hitchcock. You can't say the same for Kenora. No assistant coach will change the fact that Imlach is not a good match for Kenora. If Dallas gets ahead by a couple games, the mutiny could begin.

the knock against imlach was that he can win if he has his team. "But Imlach, more than any other North American coach, needs to have his team. If he has his team, he's tremendous. If he doesn't, it's mutiny time" (gbc - lineup assassination). my perception now is that, at this stage in the game (since we are in the playoffs), and since this team finished #2 in their division, imlach certainly has "won over the team" - if a mutiny were to happen, most likely it would have occurred by now. just my thoughts (could be wrong).

imlach brings 4 cup rings to the table (compared to hitchcock's 1). he may be a nutcase, but he got the job done.

Last edited:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
championship caliber

since we have moved into the playoffs, i believe one of the strongest advantages for the thistles is the championship / playoff caliber of the team. the thistles are a team built for playoff success. this was my intention upon drafting dionne - surround him with players successful in the playoffs and internationally, and he's more likely to succeed.

the thistles roster includes 19 stanley cup winners, 18 of which are multiple cup winners (dionne, martinec, alexandrov, and henderson being the four without a cup). in total, kenora sports a whopping 68 :stanley:. additionally, martinec adds 1 czech league title and 3 world championships. alexandrov adds 6 world championship titles.

in contrast, the dallas roster includes 14 stanley cup winners, 5 of which are multiple cup winners. in total, dallas sports 31 :stanley:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Thumbs up, let's do this.
i agree - dryden definitely has an advantage in net. as for esposito, he's certainly the better goalie in the regular season but, both chabot and holmes, our starter, have him licked in the playoffs. i'll make my case for holmes later but, i believe he's very much a lower-tier #1 in the all-time draft. he was an integral part backstopping 4 different teams to 4 stanley cups. he's certainly no dryden but, he won't lose us any games as well.
Thank you. You said it. I think it's a riddiculous argument -- one of the cheapest in this thing -- but you said it, so I'll go with it. I really like Tony Esposito and Marcel Dionne. I've drafted them both in this thing and I think they both have a ton of game. But Marcel's a well documented playoff flop. He's never carried a team anywhere ... his scoring prowess vanishes when the games get important. Dave Schultz has had more playoff success, and I'm thrilled to hear you're willing to trade your 2nd line center for my backup goalie. Trade accepted.

Now that you only have one scoring line, let's go to work disassembling that too:
I voted Dallas as a #2 seed in this division, but I think the playoffs could be their downfall. I'm sure many disagree with that assessment, but this team really reminds me of the 07-08 Anaheim Ducks squad, but maybe better defensively and worse offensively. A team that will be in tough to score, and while they're solid defensively, they have a tons of undisciplined players who in turn could put them a man short quite a bit.
Reasonable analogy to the '08 Ducks, but I'd much rather we back it up a season and compare this team to the '07 variety, with which it shares much in common as well. I don't understand "the playoffs could be their downfall" at all ... that seems to me to be the exact opposite of what happens in the playoffs. I love the idea of using my size to absolutely wear out the same group of chicken forwards game after game after game ... all that's going to be left of the thistles by about game 5 is twigs and stems.

For one thing, it's a total contrast in style. Kenora has tremendous speed and offensive depth. They're probably the most explosive team in the draft. And not just up front, either. They have elite offensive defencemen in Kelly and Tremblay. Dallas, meanwhile, is loaded with robust physical players who love to hit. Their team defence is outstanding.
Don't overrate Tremblay; Robinson and Pronger both have more offensively. It's a bit like saying Roman Hamrlik has more offensive game than Bobby Orr -- no, he's tilted more offensively, but he's not better.
I think one of the most interesting match-ups in the draft is Kenora's top two lines against Robinson and Pronger. Robinson or Pronger will likely be on the ice for 45 to 50 minutes per night. They're two of the best in the draft at combining size, speed and hockey sense. Robinson's still the standard for the big, skilled, mobile defenceman. He can hit, too. Pronger's the closest we've seen to Pronger, but he lacks Pronger's consistency. They have the mobility to keep up with the Lach line and the Dionne line.
Agreed on all fronts. Power on power. And Robinson and Pronger will obviously skate big minutes.
I don't know if the same could be said for Leo Boivin - a rock in his own zone, but not the most fleet of foot for defencemen. Paul Henderson said Boivin was nicknamed "The Fire Hydrant." Can a guy with that moniker thrive against guys like Blake and Lafleur? And how will he do against a transition game that boasts Kelly (one of the best offensive defenceman the game will ever see) and J.C. Tremblay, who should be in the HHOF?
Wow, that's unfair ... if you compared all 28 1st lines to all 27 other 3rd pairs, you'll find 756 matchups that wildly favor the 1st lines. I don't actually want to do the legwork on that, but Boivin's piss-and-vinegar and Johansson's positional sense and awareness are probably going to be well above-average as far as results go, and if we're evaluating 7th defensemen, Iafrate's size and mobility would compliment Boivin or Johansson.
I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Kenora has the top four, maybe the top five, offensive threats in this series.
Lafleur, Dionne, Lach, Lindros, McDonald, Blake, Martinec is how I see the forwards. Assuming papershoes is going to use Kelly as a defenseman and not a 4th forward, I'll slot in him and Robinson probably right behind Lindros.
More to follow ...
Agree on all points. Hell, I'd like Punch Imlach to coach my team ...

The bottom line for this series is: will Dallas be able to score enough goals to win? It's a favourable situation for them to score goals - the opponent has arguably the worst goaltending in the draft and they favour a wide-open offensive style. If you think Dallas can score enough goals - and it is a tough question, they have the worst offence in the draft - then you have to pick them. If you don't think they can score, go with Kenora.
Maybe it's just semantics, but I see it a little differently. The Dallas offense is a slow, lumbering, physical, nasty offense. Lindros, Lanny, Linsemen and Hunter leading the forecheck. Andreychuk and Claude sitting in front of the goal picking up the trash. To me, that's a low-complexity, low-yield, consistent way to score goals.

Contrast that to Kenora's scoring lines ... it's all small, all quick, all skilled ... these guys will score pretty, but they're not going to score ugly. Clark Gillies may be able to score some ugly, but that's it. "Will Kenora score as much as they're used to / they've needed this season?" is a better question. everyone know that -- per papershoes assessment earlier -- Dionne and Esposito are going to vanish about 10 minutes into game 1, which is going to cut off one of Kenora's legs and really hurt that 1-2 punch. I don't imagine Kenora had to play too many grinding battles this season, because they don't haev the warriors for that.

i believe this is one of our keys to victory. as you mentioned, dallas has a number of undisciplined players that will spend plenty of time in the penalty box.
Yes, yes, yes, thank you. Again, I'm more than happy to play by your rules here. You (and others) have looked at my roster and said "OMG THEY HAVE CLAUDE LEMIEUX AND DALE HUNTER AND LEO BOIVIN AND KEN LINSEMAN AND CHRIS PRONGER THEY'LL GET PENALTIES AND SUSPENSIONS OMG" without thinking it through.

What ELSE do you think is going to be happening? You've praised Kris Draper ... how well do you think he's going to play sitting on the bench looking at Claude Lemieux out there running around? How tolerant of Ken Linseman's bull**** do you think Clark Gillies is going to be? Anyone else see some matching minors there? While Chris Pronger is enjoying his time in the penalty box, which one (or more) of your 170 lb forwards will be enjoying their time in the ambulance?
I think people are really underrating how badly your team is about to get abused. Larry Robinson can end someone's series. So can Pronger. Boivin. Bouchard. Lindros. Lemieux. You only have 1 forward who can stand up to those guys, and he's your 6th forward (or 5th?) Gillies ... he's going to have his hands full doing it all on his own.

the kenora powerplay, rated as the top in the division, can capitalize equally with TWO powerplay lines. the dallas pk is good but, i don't think they can continually stop a two-line onslaught led by the likes of lafleur, dionne, martinec, kelly, and tremblay.
Brother, if it's a "continuous onslaught" then you're going to lose the series because by game 4 you're only going to have 8 forwards left.

It's fun to look at 4 really skilled forwards and say, "that'll be awesome", but talk me through your unstoppable powerplay ... diagram it for me, how's it going to work. Coach Hitchcock will appreciate seeing this. Your team can cycle the puck like champs and they have tons of skill, but who's going to be parked in front of Ken Dryden? Gillies? OK, that's fine ... who on the 1st unit? Elmer Lach? He gives up 9 inches and 50 lbs to my goalie. That's going to be the silliest screen in hockey history.

Since your super-strong powerplay won't be able to generate traffic in front of Dryden, how are you going to score? Shots from 40 feet? Through no traffic? Past Ken Dryden? If you think that's going to work, you should probably go watch some more Ken Dryden film. Which one of your super-skilled forwards is going to go scoop up rebounds? And more importantly, what type of health insurance will your team provide him after he does that for 6 or 7 games?

mike grant and, to a lesser extent, silas griffis, provide a strong defensive presence. and, harry mummery provides size, grit, and defensive presence. and, should we feel our defense is not strong enough, we can always sub in the 5-time cup-winning defensive defensman bob turner.
If we think Leo Boivin can't skate ...
the knock against imlach was that he can win if he has his team. "But Imlach, more than any other North American coach, needs to have his team. If he has his team, he's tremendous. If he doesn't, it's mutiny time" (gbc - lineup assassination). my perception now is that, at this stage in the game (since we are in the playoffs), and since this team finished #2 in their division, imlach certainly has "won over the team" - if a mutiny were to happen, most likely it would have occurred by now. just my thoughts (could be wrong).
I don't buy it. If you have Brett Hull, Mike Bossy and Phil Esposito on the same line, they don't automatically get chemistry come playoff time. That is still a terrible mix ... as is Punch Imlach coaching the thristles.

imlach brings 4 cup rings to the table (compared to hitchcock's 1). he may be a nutcase, but he got the job done.
Sure ... but not with a team that looks like that.
since we have moved into the playoffs, i believe one of the strongest advantages for the thistles is the championship / playoff caliber of the team. the thistles are a team built for playoff success. this was my intention upon drafting dionne - surround him with players successful in the playoffs and internationally, and he's more likely to succeed.
Balderdash. Since you've already knocked Esposito and we're playing that game ... no linemate is going to get Dionne's head right, especially with a ***** like Imlach coaching him. A bad period and the criticism starts ... tell me I'm wrong.

the thistles roster includes 19 stanley cup winners, 18 of which are multiple cup winners (dionne, martinec, alexandrov, and henderson being the four without a cup). in total, kenora sports a whopping 68 :stanley:. additionally, martinec adds 1 czech league title and 3 world championships. alexandrov adds 6 world championship titles.
Dude ... really?
So you're counting your 7th defenseman and 13th forward on this list? Why, exactly? While Dave Schultz is on the ice, which one of your forwards won't be? Can it be Elmer Lach? I vote Elmer Lach. And let's not rate Czech league titles and world championships alongside Stanley Cups. They ain't the same thing ... they ain't even close.

I love the sub-plots in this series ... Claude Lemieux / Kris Draper ... Larry Robinson / Guy Lafleur ... Emile Bouchard / Elmer Lach and Toe Blake ... it's great flavor. I also love the Blackhawks' chances ... we're built just the right way ... we're going to maul those chicken forwards, shut down that dainty powerplay and carry this thing in 6 games.

My favorite advantage is goaltending: Ken Dryden is one of the top 5 all time, and did nothing but win championships as the starting goaltender.

Hap Holmes averaged 25-30 games a season, and -- pulling stats from LOH -- had a 25-22 career playoff record. "Playoff" is loosely defined too, since talent was split among multiple leagues right here in North America during his career. 25 games a season + 3 or 4 playoff games ... getting fatigued at all Mr Holmes? Feeling a bit worn out at the end of that long season? If Holmes is your playoff starter (not sure I recommend it), he'll play more games in this series than he did winning all those Stanley Cups ... break the news gently.
Lorne Chabot is an even worse option: 13-17 playoff record for his career?
Everyone knows Dryden's numbers -- 6 Cups in 8 seasons is riddiculous, but my personal favorite stat is this: in Dryden's prime (76-79), his record in 1-goal playoff games: 17-4. On the biggest stages, in close games, he almost never blinks first.

As much as it's obvious that I have the worst offense in ATD history and that I'll never score a goal, I've got a couple of questions anyway.
Who's going to match up with Eric Lindros?
Who's going to have to catch the beating from Lemieux, Hunter and Linseman?
Which forwards -- aside from Draper's awesome Stanley Cup winning line -- are going to be able to back-check and help out when Larry Robinson, Randy Carlyle and Chris Pronger jump up into the play?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reasonable analogy to the '08 Ducks, but I'd much rather we back it up a season and compare this team to the '07 variety, with which it shares much in common as well. I don't understand "the playoffs could be their downfall" at all ... that seems to me to be the exact opposite of what happens in the playoffs. I love the idea of using my size to absolutely wear out the same group of chicken forwards game after game after game ... all that's going to be left of the thistles by about game 5 is twigs and stems.

The reason I don't compare your team to the 07 Ducks is the reason I don't compare the 08 Ducks to the 07 Ducks: the 08 Ducks couldn't score. Defense can get you quite a ways, but a lack of scoring hurts. The 07 Ducks had a very good top line and the kid line who decided to crank it up a notch in the playoffs and establish themselves as some of the game's brightest young stars. They also had the timely contributions from the checking line. The 08 version, however, had more or less two guys carrying their respective lines. Your case isn't quite like that, but the overall point is that their problem was they couldn't score and went from hard-nosed to outright undisciplined.

Personally, I don't like the stereotype that defensive teams are better built for the playoffs. I did some research and in recent history it's actually fairly rare for a top defensive team to miss the playoffs, despite how bad their offense is, especially compared to the number of offensive teams that have bad defenses that miss. In the playoffs, though, when's the last time a team with a horrible offense won the cup? New Jersey in 2003 might be the team people point to, but even they had some big time performers on offense. The other defensive minded teams that shocked the world, Anaheim and Minnesota, also had more than defensive play in their runs. Minnesota also had a lot of guys coming up big, along with clutch goals, and Anaheim had, well, one of the greatest playoff performances ever(their defensive play was actually fairly suspect in that run).

I'm not saying that a defensive teams' downfall is the playoffs, as it's not. However, some form of offense is needed. When I see this team, I see a first line that's probably below a few teams' second lines, and the rest of the offense doesn't scare me whatsoever. Combined with the fact that there's a good chance you could end up killing penalties quite a bit in this series, I do think a tightly contested playoff series could be your downfall. To be honest, I had you at #2 in the regular season standings, but I do have to readjust my thinking for the playoffs.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think ck made the right move in benching Iafrate. I don't like Iafrate's attitude as far as No. 7 defencemen go, but I think Big Al's inconsistencies would make him a liability in this series. He had HHOF potential with his incredible size and offensive skill, but he was extremely inconsistent. Those top two lines in Kenora would have eaten him alive.

Johansson doesn't have near the upside of Iafrate, but he's a much better defenceman, especially for this series. He's very smart and very steady - exactly what you need to play against guys like Lach and Blake.

ck, I do believe the top four offensive threats in this series are in Kenora. Lafleur, Lach, Blake and Dionne (who should be more productive in a second line role, but not as much as some think). I think Blake's one of the top 10 LWs of all-time. I'm not sure if a "let's try to slow it down" approach to offence will work - not with two-way players like Lach and Blake out there, or guys like Draper or Maltby out there, or a defenceman like Red Kelly out there.

And I think Tremblay's better offensively than Pronger. Tremblay had two Conn Smythe-worthy performances. He was really coming into his own offensively when he bolted to the WHA. It's too bad so much of his career was pre-expansion; the things he would have done in the 70s - a more wide-open game thanks to expansion and the arrival of the offensive defenceman - would have been magical. He's one of those guys whose numbers would have exploded.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think kenora should give frederickson a bigger role, maybe on the PP.
he should be a very important source of secondary scoring. i think he's better than dallas' 2nd C.

frederickson was one of the best players of the PCHA. 5 time 1st all star C in western leagues.

in his best season, he dominated the PCHA, scoring 39g and 54p in 30 games. 2nd place scored 27g and 37p in 29 games.

he was a hart finalist in his 1st NHL season, towards the end of his career.

apparently, the PCHA played an open, offensive style, so he should fit well in kenora.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Also ck, I think you're overplaying the intimidation factor. To go to the Anaheim comparison again, intimidation wasn't that big of a factor in them winning, but domination was. Your team certainly can physically dominate, but if they cross that line from domination to undisciplined, it could get rough. A big turning point for the Ducks was Pronger's suspension in the WCF, but only because Ric Jackman decided to come up huge and the team came together and won in spite of it, not because of it. While Kenora may not have the physical personnel to dominate, but these guys aren't going to lay down for you.

Also, not sure why Tony O came up in any of this. Especially in a series like this, if he's a factor at anything but opening the bench door(if needed), or Dryden goes down(unlikely), then this series is over, period. And I'm not sure how Dionne got dragged into that, either. While he certainly wasn't the elite regular season performer then, it's not like he became the invisible man, either. I know it's pretty unfair to bring Tony O down with a similar comment, but Hap Holmes did win 4 cups, so you've got to give him a playoff advantage. Again, not that it matters, because Tony O shouldn't be talked about at all in this series.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Thumbs up, let's do this.Thank you. You said it. I think it's a riddiculous argument -- one of the cheapest in this thing -- but you said it, so I'll go with it. I really like Tony Esposito and Marcel Dionne. I've drafted them both in this thing and I think they both have a ton of game. But Marcel's a well documented playoff flop. He's never carried a team anywhere ... his scoring prowess vanishes when the games get important. Dave Schultz has had more playoff success, and I'm thrilled to hear you're willing to trade your 2nd line center for my backup goalie. Trade accepted.

i'm not entirely sure how you drew this argument out of my comment. all i said was that holmes and chabot had more playoff success then esposito. 6 cups versus 0 cups to me indicates more success. not once did i say that holmes and chabot were better goalies then esposito - which would be a ridiculous argument. just as saying dave schultz is a better player then dionne (not that you said that).

as stotch mentioned, i think you are overplaying the physical intimidation factor. you certainly do have the physical edge but, what my team lacks in size, it certainly makes up for in speed and hockey sense. will your team be able to skate alongside the likes of lafleur, dionne, lach, blake, tremblay, griffis, martinec etc... for a full 60 minutes? how about through an entire 7 game series?

Don't overrate Tremblay; Robinson and Pronger both have more offensively. It's a bit like saying Roman Hamrlik has more offensive game than Bobby Orr -- no, he's tilted more offensively, but he's not better.Agreed on all fronts. Power on power. And Robinson and Pronger will obviously skate big minutes.

you are certainly right about robinson being better offensively (and in any category) then tremblay - that comparison isn't even close. but, i agree with gbc, tremblay has an offensive edge over pronger - by no means a large edge, but still an edge.

and, if pronger is seeing big minutes a game, then carlyle will also be seeing big minutes. i'll take that match-up with my top two-lines any day.

Lafleur, Dionne, Lach, Lindros, McDonald, Blake, Martinec is how I see the forwards. Assuming papershoes is going to use Kelly as a defenseman and not a 4th forward, I'll slot in him and Robinson probably right behind Lindros.

lafleur, lach, blake, dionne, lindros, kelly, robinson, mcdonald, martinec is how i see the players ranking. i like lanny mcdonald but, offensively, toe blake has the edge (with a far greater defensive game as well).

Maybe it's just semantics, but I see it a little differently. The Dallas offense is a slow, lumbering, physical, nasty offense. Lindros, Lanny, Linsemen and Hunter leading the forecheck. Andreychuk and Claude sitting in front of the goal picking up the trash. To me, that's a low-complexity, low-yield, consistent way to score goals.

Contrast that to Kenora's scoring lines ... it's all small, all quick, all skilled ... these guys will score pretty, but they're not going to score ugly. Clark Gillies may be able to score some ugly, but that's it. "Will Kenora score as much as they're used to / they've needed this season?" is a better question. everyone know that -- per papershoes assessment earlier -- Dionne and Esposito are going to vanish about 10 minutes into game 1, which is going to cut off one of Kenora's legs and really hurt that 1-2 punch. I don't imagine Kenora had to play too many grinding battles this season, because they don't haev the warriors for that.

once again, not sure where this dionne / esposito assessment came from.

you're right, your team does have the ability to score more garbage / ugly goals then the thistles. but, who will set up the plays? who will move the puck up the ice? which offensive threat will put shots on the net? having robinson and pronger on the backend will help but, the hawks don't have the puck movement and transition game the thistles have.

kenora's game isn't built around scoring the garbage goals. the thistles play a strong puck possession game with quick puck movement built upon the offensive creativity of the players. should the need arise for "garbage goals" gillies can certainly fit the bill and, to a lesser extent, elmer lach. though he was small, "The 5'9" Lach was never afraid of the physical game either, drawing comparisons to a fire hydrant because he was small but incredibly hard to budge." (greatest hockey legends)

and, to make a blanket statement that my team lacks the warriors to win the battles seems silly. you don't win 68 stanley cups without the drive and intensity to win. to say guys like gillies, lach, kelly, blake, draper, maltby, and mummery lack the drive to win seems almost insulting.

Yes, yes, yes, thank you. Again, I'm more than happy to play by your rules here. You (and others) have looked at my roster and said "OMG THEY HAVE CLAUDE LEMIEUX AND DALE HUNTER AND LEO BOIVIN AND KEN LINSEMAN AND CHRIS PRONGER THEY'LL GET PENALTIES AND SUSPENSIONS OMG" without thinking it through.

What ELSE do you think is going to be happening? You've praised Kris Draper ... how well do you think he's going to play sitting on the bench looking at Claude Lemieux out there running around? How tolerant of Ken Linseman's bull**** do you think Clark Gillies is going to be? Anyone else see some matching minors there? While Chris Pronger is enjoying his time in the penalty box, which one (or more) of your 170 lb forwards will be enjoying their time in the ambulance?

have looked at gillies pim totals? gillies was one of the most intimidating players in hockey. he never had to drop the gloves often but, when he did (to protect a teammate or send a message) he pummeled the opposition. and, yet, while carrying the reputation as one of the most feared pugilists in the game, he had very low pim totals - for an "enforcer" (his highest season was 99pim's, 244 below the league leader). what makes you think that gillies would suddenly become an undisciplined player?

Brother, if it's a "continuous onslaught" then you're going to lose the series because by game 4 you're only going to have 8 forwards left.

if we are going with this argument, then why don't we just say that, within a couple games, clark gillies will knock lindros, you're biggest offensive threat, out of the series with a bone-crushing, concussion-inducing hit.

It's fun to look at 4 really skilled forwards and say, "that'll be awesome", but talk me through your unstoppable powerplay ... diagram it for me, how's it going to work. Coach Hitchcock will appreciate seeing this. Your team can cycle the puck like champs and they have tons of skill, but who's going to be parked in front of Ken Dryden? Gillies? OK, that's fine ... who on the 1st unit? Elmer Lach? He gives up 9 inches and 50 lbs to my goalie. That's going to be the silliest screen in hockey history.

Since your super-strong powerplay won't be able to generate traffic in front of Dryden, how are you going to score? Shots from 40 feet? Through no traffic? Past Ken Dryden? If you think that's going to work, you should probably go watch some more Ken Dryden film. Which one of your super-skilled forwards is going to go scoop up rebounds? And more importantly, what type of health insurance will your team provide him after he does that for 6 or 7 games?

agreed - gillies is the biggest body in our line-up and, will be the biggest presence on the powerplay. but, i'm not sure having a super-skilled team that can cycle the puck like champs, devoid of a big body, is a huge detriment. the montreal canadiens had the leagues best powerplay last season - which big body did they have parked in front of the net at all times? their powerplay was effective because they could move the puck.

If we think Leo Boivin can't skate ...

not sure which of my top-six defenceman your implying is slow - my guess is harry mummery. some info on mummery "What set "Mum" apart was that he could rush off the defensive line despite that large frame. A goaltender facing a fast charging 220 pound colossus could be excused if he flinched and allowed a goal." (legends of hockey). certainly no pylon.

Dude ... really?
So you're counting your 7th defenseman and 13th forward on this list? Why, exactly? While Dave Schultz is on the ice, which one of your forwards won't be? Can it be Elmer Lach? I vote Elmer Lach. And let's not rate Czech league titles and world championships alongside Stanley Cups. They ain't the same thing ... they ain't even close.

i merely counted bench players because they are on the roster. if we remove them, my totals drop to 61 stanley cups. i can deal with that. and, not once did i equate czech league titles, and world championships with stanley cups - i was just mentioning it to highlight that these players won in the respective leagues. feel free to do so yourself.

should physicality be an issue, i see no problem in slotting dave schultz into alexandrov's spot.

I love the sub-plots in this series ... Claude Lemieux / Kris Draper ... Larry Robinson / Guy Lafleur ... Emile Bouchard / Elmer Lach and Toe Blake ... it's great flavor. I also love the Blackhawks' chances ... we're built just the right way ... we're going to maul those chicken forwards, shut down that dainty powerplay and carry this thing in 6 games.

agreed - the subplots are awesome. some really intriguing matchups. definitely a flavourful series.

My favorite advantage is goaltending: Ken Dryden is one of the top 5 all time, and did nothing but win championships as the starting goaltender.

i'm a big ken dryden fan - so, i certainly can't argue here. but, by the same token, the majority of my team did nothing but win championships.

Hap Holmes averaged 25-30 games a season, and -- pulling stats from LOH -- had a 25-22 career playoff record. "Playoff" is loosely defined too, since talent was split among multiple leagues right here in North America during his career. 25 games a season + 3 or 4 playoff games ... getting fatigued at all Mr Holmes? Feeling a bit worn out at the end of that long season? If Holmes is your playoff starter (not sure I recommend it), he'll play more games in this series than he did winning all those Stanley Cups ... break the news gently.
Lorne Chabot is an even worse option: 13-17 playoff record for his career?
Everyone knows Dryden's numbers -- 6 Cups in 8 seasons is riddiculous, but my personal favorite stat is this: in Dryden's prime (76-79), his record in 1-goal playoff games: 17-4. On the biggest stages, in close games, he almost never blinks first.

so, if this is the way we are valuing early era hockey players, then what's the point in drafting them? are you going to shortchange cyclone taylor, newsy lalonde, or other early stars for playing less games? will they as well be more fatigued then their modern era counterparts?

chabot may have played less games a season but, he played well those seasons. he may have a 13-17 playoff record but, he has a sparkling 1.54 gaa in the playoffs, and a 2.03 gaa in the regular season.

As much as it's obvious that I have the worst offense in ATD history and that I'll never score a goal, I've got a couple of questions anyway.
Who's going to match up with Eric Lindros?
Who's going to have to catch the beating from Lemieux, Hunter and Linseman?
Which forwards -- aside from Draper's awesome Stanley Cup winning line -- are going to be able to back-check and help out when Larry Robinson, Randy Carlyle and Chris Pronger jump up into the play?

regarding lindros, if we feel the need, we can always line match with the gillies line - gillies has the size and strength to pound lindros throughout the series.

if you want to ice the lemieux - hunter, and linesman lines throughout the series feel free - those lines certainly can't skate with the likes of kenora's top-two lines and defensive unit.

regarding back-checking, my top line has two phenomenal two-way talents in blake and lach, both of which provide a strong defensive conscience to a unit that will see plenty of ice time. the second unit, though not as strong, has the defensive play of clark gillies to lean on. considering these are the two-lines robinson, carlyle, and pronger will mainly see, kenora has absolutely no concerns in their ability to protect defensively.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thumbs up, let's do this.Thank you.

Wow. Good post. There's lots of stuff here and you made tons of good points. I'm going to just briefly address your best and worst cases.

But Marcel's a well documented playoff flop. He's never carried a team anywhere ... his scoring prowess vanishes when the games get important.

Zing.

Lafleur, Dionne, Lach, Lindros, McDonald, Blake, Martinec is how I see the forwards.

Sorry, no. Blake tops Lindros and McDonald. The four best forwards are on Kenora.

these guys will score pretty, but they're not going to score ugly. Clark Gillies may be able to score some ugly, but that's it.

You are probably right.

Larry Robinson can end someone's series.

With an infmaous wag of his finger? Not likely. Count on him to play solid defense and rush the puck, not punish anyone.

who on the 1st unit? Elmer Lach? He gives up 9 inches and 50 lbs to my goalie. That's going to be the silliest screen in hockey history.

OK, that made me laugh. But, Elmer Lach was a generation and a half before Dryden. It's only fair to make an adjustment for size. I see 6 inches and 40 pounds using actual size. Using my own simple formula that works amazingly well, based on players' dates of birth, I'd call the difference 4 inches and 25 pounds. Still.... good point.

That is still a terrible mix ... as is Punch Imlach coaching the thristles.

Zing. Imlach coaching this team is almost the worst coach to team match in this draft.

And let's not rate Czech league titles and world championships alongside Stanley Cups. They ain't the same thing ... they ain't even close.

Zing. I had someone doing this to me as well in an ATD at another board... it's cheap. It's like saying you have 50 pounds and 20 Canadian dollars, and claiming it equals 70 total units of currency. In this case I don't think that was papershoes' intention, but in any case, way to keep it honest.

It's comments like this that make me wonder how committed to the all-timeness of this thing you really are. It's not Holmes' fault that seasons were 25 games long, plus 3-8 playoff games. If he played the full schedule, it means he was capable of playing the full schedule. Simple as that. We have to look at everything relatively; otherwise any modern player would generally be assumed to be bigger, faster, and more accustomed to longer schedules. That's not fair.

As much as it's obvious that I have the worst offense in ATD history

It's clearly your achilles heel. I've never seen a team so anti-Hamrlik in my life.

Now, all that said, I had a few comments to make about Dallas that I have been mulling over in my head the past two days.

How does this team finish 7th? I did not envision this at all myself. They could potentially have the league's best defense and worst offense. What was the last team in recent memory to exhibit such a tendency? I think the 2002-2004 Minnesota Wild fits the bill. In those two seasons they finished 7th and 5th from the bottom in GF, and 4th both times in fewest GA. With this formula they finished 10th and 19th overall out of 30 teams. basically average. But not a last place team.

Also, goaltending should have been seen as a better strength. they've got the 4th-best starter and their backup is about the 18th best goalie. Based on today's goalies, that's like an NHL team having Lundqvist and Toskala. No team with that tandem finishes last. Especially when you consider they've got roughly the 8th, 25th, and 30th best D-men in the league (I dunno, imagine Dion Phaneuf, Duncan Keith, and Nicklas Kronwall by today's standards)

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
have looked at gillies pim totals? gillies was one of the most intimidating players in hockey. he never had to drop the gloves often but, when he did (to protect a teammate or send a message) he pummeled the opposition. and, yet, while carrying the reputation as one of the most feared pugilists in the game, he had very low pim totals - for an "enforcer" (his highest season was 99pim's, 244 below the league leader). what makes you think that gillies would suddenly become an undisciplined player?

Wow, nice one. You taught me something new there.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Hmmm...great series and analysis so far. A few thoughts:

- I think Leo Boivin is probably a better overall player than Carlyle, and I don't really understand why he's on the 3rd pairing. With Pronger on the 2nd unit, it's not like you need more puck movement, and I do like Boivin's physicality/defensive game more than Carlyle's. cotton, you're going to have an elite 3rd pairing no matter how you slice it, but I think you're wasting Boivin's talents giving him so little icetime. This is the danger of overloading on one position: someone ends up being under-used, and at this point I'd say that someone is Boivin.

- this is perhaps the worst possible matchup for Marcel Dionne and the Kenora 2nd line, even moreso if Boivin moves up. I think the idea of putting Dionne on a 2nd unit was a great idea; it takes pressure off of him and likely creates mismatches against opposing 2nd units...but here we have Chris Pronger anchoring the second unit: yikes! Not the team I would have wanted in the 1st round if I was paper.

- that said, I think Kenora's 1st unit will have a fair amount of success against Dallas' 1st unit. Andreychuk - Lindros - MacDonald are hardly great backcheckers, so it falls to Robinson - Bouchard to hold the fort against a five-man offensive buzzsaw in Blake - Lach - Lafleur - Kelly - Tremblay. I think paper is doing the right thing here putting his two best offensive defensemen on the same pairing. With Dallas' defensive depth, the best bet is probably to try to overwhelm them on the first unit, where they are not actually that special (there are a number of top pairings I would rate ahead of Robinson - Bouchard).

- Robinson was a great all-around defenseman, but he liked to carry the puck up ice a lot during his offensive heyday, and was fortunate to have the great Serge Savard covering for him when he was caught out of position. The idea of Robinson as an impenetrable wall in his own zone is a myth created by people who only caught the end of his career, by which point his offense had seriously tailed off. I'm not saying it happened all the time or even often, but you do face the turnover issue to some extent with Robinson. He was not a "conservative" offensive producer like a Harvey or a Lidstrom. In fact, very few players were (you could make a long anti-highlight reel of all the odd-man goals scored against the Bruins while Orr was trying to skate back into the play - it doesn't diminish his greatness, but it's reality). Larry's offense comes with a certain amount of risk involved, and Kenora's 1st unit absolutely has the gear to create and capitalize on turnovers when Robinson ventures up ice. Of course, Robinson is capable of playing a conservative game, as well (and did so during the latter part of his career), but keeping Larry on a leash would leave the Dallas 1st line virtually dead in the water. Who else is going to carry the puck on that unit? Lindros?​

- both Butch Bouchard and Elmer Lach are generally overrated in the ATD, and for the same reason: both were Habs, many-times champions, and both earned more than half of their personal accolades during the war years. A quick look over their profiles at hockey-reference makes this abundantly clear, and I'm sort of mystified why they continue to be picked as high as they are. Both were great players and I'm not calling them scrubs, but I don't think either of them belong in a serious top-100. This one cuts both ways, as they are on opposite sides of the 1st unit matchup.

- the "low-yield" offense strategy has been tried before (most notably by VanI), and I do believe it has some merit. Even the most pitiful offensive team, if it has size and a willingness to go to the net, will generate a certain minimum level of garbage goals. Sort of like an idiot getting a certain number of multiple-choice questions correct. The average goals-per-game of a team of gorillas on skates (provided they were tactically sound) would not be zero. The question is: can you build a defense so strong that it holds offensively competent opponents below that minimum scoring threshold? I can't answer that question (every voter must do so for himself), but it is at least worth thinking about objectively.

My own opinion is that it can be done, though it is a hard road to follow. I will say this much: although I don't put as much stock in coaching as some GMs, I think it becomes more important in direct correlation to the specialization of a team's personnel and strategy. A truly vanilla ATD team may not feel much effect going from the best coach to the worst, but a team like Dallas? I'm not often swayed by coaching in the ATD, but I would probably like the Blackhawks a good deal more with a guy like Jack Adams or Punch Imlach behind the bench. Is it too late for these teams to switch coaches?​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad