ATD #10 - Foster Hewitt Final: Kenora Thistles (2) vs. Winnipeg Jets (5)

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Too many men.......

...were on the ice and the Jets would get a penalty that would lose the game for them. But let's go sequential. The crowd in Kenora was hungry for hockey. Some of them might have been disappointed because the game itself lacked the quality of earlier meetings. It delivered an unknown amount of exicement however.

As said wasn't really good and a lot of unusual mistakes happenend. Lafleur and Lach went on a two-on-one after Wilson lost his balance but the puck bounced from Lach's stick and the situation was solved by Langway. This is only an example of how the game went. The first goal scored - you might have guessed it - happened after a huge mistake by Toe Blake. The winger passed the puck cross-ice in his own zone. Jagr recieved the pass and shot it in with ease. Blake redeemed himself later by scoring the 1-1 which was the final score for the regulation. Midway through the first overtime the probably biggest mistake in a game full of them occured. Claude Provost jumped on the ice too early and the Jets were called for too many men. Elmer Lach scored on the ensuing powerplay to give his team the series lead again.

Kenora wins 2-1 in OT and leads the series 3-2

Boxscore
1st period
scoreless
2nd period
8:49 - Jaromir Jagr 2 (unassisted)
3rd period
6:14 - Toe Blake 2 (Lafleur,Kelly)
Overtime
12:12 - Elmer Lach 2 (Lafleur)

Sorry guys , I can't finish the series tonight. raleh if you read this , you can do the last two games if you want to. If not the last to games will be done by tomorrow morning.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 6

Terry Sawchuk was lights out all game. The career shutout record holder was at his absolute playoff best in game 6 as the Jets evened up the series. The Winnipeg goaltender made it out of the first period without allowing a goal on 13 shots. Jaromir Jagr set up Norm Ullman early in the second with a nifty pass from the half board through the legs of Red Kelly. That would be the only goal the Jets would need. The team defense of the Jets was just too good on this night, as they, along with Sawchuk, had the Thistles' number all game long.

Winnipeg wins game six 1-0
Series tied 3-3.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Game 7

Red Kelly was everywhere tonight. He scored twice, and assisted on a Guy Lafleur powerplay goal. But it wasn't quite enough. Martin, Hawerchuk, and Jagr would tally for the Jets to tie the score midway through the second period. Terry Sawchuk made 42 saves on the 45 shots he faced, and Reg Noble would notch the series winner with less than five minutes to play, jamming a rebound into a yawning cage. The Winnipeg Jets advance to the conference final as the first ever #5 seed to do so (I think, I didn't actually check).

Winnipeg wins game seven 4-3
Winnipeg wins series 4-3

Three stars:
1. Terry Sawchuk
2. Red Kelly
3. Guy Lafleur

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
thanks for the great write-ups jungosi and raleh - a pleasure to read.

congrats vcl and speaker for moving on to the conference finals - i thought your team deserved a higher seeding then #5 and, now your showing why. definitely disappointed to lose but, no shame in bowing out to such a well-built team.

good luck in the finals.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great finish to the series, thanks raleh.

Congrats paper for a great team. You built possibly one of the best offensive teams in the draft.

So whoa, we're off to the conference finals I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad