At what point did you know...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
All my jubilation after slaying Pitt was erased once I learned Tampa secretly had our playoff number too, maybe even more than Pitt had.

A turning point in winning / believing was the early R3G7 Ovi goal after Wilson helicoptered tampa's lead punk Kunitz at center before dropping a pass to Kuzy. Kunitz of course helped contribute to the Varly game 7 meltdown with his cross check to his head late many years ago and yes I am still bitter. But Willy clobbering him may have finally buried the hatchet on that one. I will let you know after I see Kunitz trying his antics this fall.

I think that was my favorite goal of the playoffs, but there are an awful lot to choose from. I love the early road goal to deflate the energy from the arena and fans, and basically kill home team advantage just like popping a balloon.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Kucherov's no-goal if it had to come down to one event, but really it was all over the Tampa series. Watching the Lightning do what Capitals players had done in years past, realizing these Capitals weren't doing those things, it was something about that.
That was a big momentum changer. Instead of giving up a goal we scored immediately on the pp.
At least there was no way anyone could argue the Kucherov goal being disallowed. It was such a blatant too many men penalty. I can't believe they didnt make the call until after the goal.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Most important one IMO. If we're down 3-0 against Columbus, we lose that series and get eliminated in the first round.
Game 3 against Columbus was a huge game which was why I think switching to Holtby was a turning point. I think we lose that game with Grubauer in net.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
All my jubilation after slaying Pitt was erased once I learned Tampa secretly had our playoff number too, maybe even more than Pitt had.

A turning point in winning / believing was the early R3G7 Ovi goal after Wilson helicoptered tampa's lead punk Kunitz at center before dropping a pass to Kuzy. Kunitz of course helped contribute to the Varly game 7 meltdown with his cross check to his head late many years ago and yes I am still bitter. But Willy clobbering him may have finally buried the hatchet on that one. I will let you know after I see Kunitz trying his antics this fall.

I think that was my favorite goal of the playoffs, but there are an awful lot to choose from. I love the early road goal to deflate the energy from the arena and fans, and basically kill home team advantage just like popping a balloon.

100% this. Frankly, its long been the kind of thing that happens TO the Caps, not that the Caps DID TO other teams. That was a big piece of it

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
For me it was honestly game 1 against the Pens. They had destroyed us with their team speed over the past few playoffs, and I was very excited to see that we were much closer to meeting them in that area over the course of that game. We obviously lost that game, but I turned it off thinking that we were going to win that series and we did. After we dispatched the Pens, I knew we weren’t going to be denied.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Kucherov's no-goal if it had to come down to one event, but really it was all over the Tampa series. Watching the Lightning do what Capitals players had done in years past, realizing these Capitals weren't doing those things, it was something about that.
That transformation from the same old Caps to the antithesis of the Caps was complete when instead of MAF stopping Ovy on a early game 7 breakaway he scored from the blueline through Vasi's armpit.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I mean look, like all of you I NEVER thought they would win until .06 seconds left in game five, but as I said in my post, when they beat the Pens in game five, after being down heading into the third, hope I hadn't felt since 2010 sprung up in my heart.

So that was the reason I feel that was my moment I started to believe, even if it was only about 10%. :laugh:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Most important one IMO. If we're down 3-0 against Columbus, we lose that series and get eliminated in the first round.

We just don’t know. That was one turning point in one series. Winning game 6 and 7 by shutout was another....there are others just as important. (Putting the Pens to sleep for good)

Just because it’s early doesn’t make it more monumental or me.

Sep 19, 2008
After all 0:00's in Game 5

Until then, even during the 2nd intermission with Vegas leading, I was preparing plans to get presale tickets for Game 6 as soon as they became available.

Then the Caps took the lead and I started to think maybe it was possible, but never really "knew" until the game was over. All year I didn't think they were good enough against Tampa, or Vegas, who had previously won the 2 regular season matchups. I thought they would lose both series.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We just don’t know. That was one turning point in one series. Winning game 6 and 7 by shutout was another....there are others just as important. (Putting the Pens to sleep for good)

Just because it’s early doesn’t make it more monumental or me.

This. The whole playoffs, really starting in OT of game 3 Cbus, these Caps did things old Caps teams never did. They overcame injuries. They overcame suspensions. They overcame series deficits. They overcame in game deficits. They overcame giving up the first goal. They overcame crushing overtime losses. They overcame the goddammned Penguins! They overcame the Lightning, who last time we met in the loffs, swept us. They overcame the ridiculous VGK who many people predicted would roll over us. Mostly, they overcame the ghosts of their former failures.

There was no single turning point, there were a lot of great moments that old Caps teams never produced. But if we are forced to choose a single moment, it has to be Kuzy ending the Pens series. Thats when we went from just playing the right way, to getting the results we deserved. Thats when the Caps decided they would not be denied!

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Last 3 seconds of Game 5 against Vegas. Just being honest. Always expected the worst outcome in my mind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wish I still had my call history from June, because I could actually give a very concrete answer. I called my mother (the other big Caps fan in my family) with around a minute left in the 3rd period of game 5 and stayed on the line with her through the puck drop at 0.6seconds. At that point there was no conception that we might lose left in my mind.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't know when I "knew," but I know I enjoyed the hell out of it and I know I always had this weird feeling, even before the playoffs started. I almost sent @txpd a message telling him I thought the Caps would win the Cup so I had it on record but I didn't because I didn't want to jinx it.

I don't know that I knew after any one moment happened, but I will remember exactly where I was when key moments went down. I woke up my son when I shouted for Eller's GWG in G3. I was having beers with my dad and brother watching the game on DVR after we played in a golf tournament when Nicky scored in OT. We had left our phones turned off in a drawer when we played so we didn't get to see who won and could watch live. I was heading to my beer league game and missed Vrana's goal in G5 against Pittsburgh in the 15 seconds it took me to get from my house to my car. I jumped around like a delusional maniac in a dive Polish bar in Brooklyn after Kuzy scored in G6. I was in Chicago hammered out of my mind when we won G4 against Vegas and I was with my brother and a sea of Red when we won in G5.

So many awesome memories to last a lifetime. Can't wait to add one more when they raise the banner.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Won't lie - I didn't know intil the last series. It were still The Caps so anything could've happened. The moment when heart and mind had that question "is this the time?' simultaneously was The Save. You won't see saves of that difficulty and that clutch very often. Something about that save was super glorious. You could feel how the momentum in the series has changed after it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As soon as I started making the GDTs.

giphy.gif

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Capitals confidence level2.PNG

Data Points that may need explanation:

Before the season I gave the Caps a 1 in 32 chance at the cup.

Start of post season means a 1 in 16 chance.

I was not worried after Game 1 at home against Columbus.

I was much more worried after Game 2.

I saw some luck going the Caps way after Game 3.

Before the Pens series I saw the Caps with a little less than a 1 in 8 chance given the opponent.

After Game 1 it was doom and gloom.

After Game 3 i figured they were setting me up for disappointment.

After Game 5's big time win, I let myself get cocky.

Heading into OT in Game 6, "I've seen this movie before."

After Kuz's OT Bird Celly: "This is different..."

Lightning go up 3-2, "Not again..." but still some hope. They handled adversity so much better this year. Really looking stronger after going down in games or in series more so than before.

Once they shut them out in Game 6, I knew the Lightning were done.

After seeing MAF was human in Game 1, I got a bit more confident.

When they went up 2-1 in the series, I pretty much knew it was over.

Heading into Game 5, it was whether or not it was gonna be celebrating in Vegas or at home.

Heading into the 3rd in Game 5, I actually gained some confidence. I knew that if the Caps scored, they would win the game. And if they did not, they would crush them at home in Game 6.

DSP then scored. - 100%

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
As soon as I started making the GDTs.

I will share in that sentiment. We brought in the "pinch hitter" quite a few times, and it ALWAYS worked.

Many a time, I called ABro to the task....clearing the decks of other posters who wanted the chance to shine. NO. There could only ONE. And BOOM, he delivered.

Talk about CLUTCH. We may never see a run like that again. In the history of GDT thread making. It was surreal...and we were all here to see it. :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
View attachment 140391

Data Points that may need explanation:

Before the season I gave the Caps a 1 in 32 chance at the cup.

Start of post season means a 1 in 16 chance.

I was not worried after Game 1 at home against Columbus.

I was much more worried after Game 2.

I saw some luck going the Caps way after Game 3.

Before the Pens series I saw the Caps with a little less than a 1 in 8 chance given the opponent.

After Game 1 it was doom and gloom.

After Game 3 i figured they were setting me up for disappointment.

After Game 5's big time win, I let myself get cocky.

Heading into OT in Game 6, "I've seen this movie before."

After Kuz's OT Bird Celly: "This is different..."

Lightning go up 3-2, "Not again..." but still some hope. They handled adversity so much better this year. Really looking stronger after going down in games or in series more so than before.

Once they shut them out in Game 6, I knew the Lightning were done.

After seeing MAF was human in Game 1, I got a bit more confident.

When they went up 2-1 in the series, I pretty much knew it was over.

Heading into Game 5, it was whether or not it was gonna be celebrating in Vegas or at home.

Heading into the 3rd in Game 5, I actually gained some confidence. I knew that if the Caps scored, they would win the game. And if they did not, they would crush them at home in Game 6.

DSP then scored. - 100%
Based on this you had Tampa 8:1 to win game 7 and Vegas 3:1 to beat the Caps in the Finals. I had those roughly the opposite but based on this thread I thought way less of Vegas's chances than most.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Based on this you had Tampa 8:1 to win game 7 and Vegas 3:1 to beat the Caps in the Finals. I had those roughly the opposite but based on this thread I thought way less of Vegas's chances than most.
I am not sure that I agree, but it is possible. I'd be interested in hearing how you you came up with that though.

This is of course a personal confidence level and not a measure of probability. Other teams chances barely factored in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad