At What Level Should The Axe Fall?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
It's way past the point of whether or not "someone" needs to be fired, the question is how far up the ladder the changes should go.

Eakins sucks, that's pretty well-established.

Has MacT let this Eakins experiment go on too long? How great were all his moves thus far - is our goaltending/defense/center position any better than it was 100 games ago? What great excuse does he have for the team getting 27 regulation wins in the last 100 games, and him not making a coaching change or doing much of anything except overpaying for mediocre ufa's?

If MacT and Eakins both have to go does Lowe get to stay? Lowe has had two failed regimes of GM's under his watch and wasn't great as a GM himself.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Mact came in last year saying how impatient he is, made some moves said he was going to make bold moves, and claimed we should be in the running for the playoffs. Epic fail.

This year said we would be a much improved team and so far last in the west lol

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lowe, MacT, Chabot, scouting, anyone that has been around since 2007 onwards
Keep Eakins for now

I can't see how anyone can say to axe Eakins without axing MacT. Choosing a coach is one of the duties of a GM.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Fire everyone from the top down.

There's no point in firing somebody if you are going to let the loser one rung above them on the ladder hire the replacement.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Sometimes I come up with strange idea's, so bare with me.

Seems to me that MacT pretty much set Eakins up for a firing. As MacT went along and added some really decent players, he didn't do quite enough.

At least not enough for Eakins to work with properly (at his level of coaching).

Add some big forwards and a couple of second tier (at lest at this point) goalies. Didn't add a 2nd line C and basically has 2 NHL caliber center men.

Add some better but not so great defensemen to the team.

An experienced coach (Ramsay) would probably do well with the current line up.

Eakins, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much of a clue (although he is getting better).

Seems to me that Eakins may have dug his own grave getting Ramsay in here.

Sorry it doesn't answer the thread question. Just my thoughts on the matter.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
From Kevin Lowe to Joey Moss. A complete organization purge. Let the new management do whatever they want with the players.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
All of them.

No former Oilers.
No rookies.
(Notice these go hand in hand)

Only experienced legitimate hockey men allowed.

Basically what Calgary did. Burke, Treliving, Hartley.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sometimes I come up with strange idea's, so bare with me.

Seems to me that MacT pretty much set Eakins up for a firing. As MacT went along and added some really decent players, he didn't do quite enough.

At least not enough for Eakins to work with properly (at his level of coaching).

Add some big forwards and a couple of second tier (at lest at this point) goalies. Didn't add a 2nd line C and basically has 2 NHL caliber center men.

Add some better but not so great defensemen to the team.

An experienced coach (Ramsay) would probably do well with the current line up.

Eakins, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much of a clue (although he is getting better).

Seems to me that Eakins may have dug his own grave getting Ramsay in here.

Sorry it doesn't answer the thread question. Just my thoughts on the matter.
My crazy idea is that Mactavish is every bit as lost as Eakins is. My guess is he's terrified that the next coach he hires won't have any more success with this team than his first one has and is going to put it off for as long as he can hoping they get lucky somehow.

The axe has to fall on Lowe and keep chopping until they're all gone. It's way past the time for that. We've been talking about all the reasons for years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Eakins and Lowe. MacT has done more to try and make this team competitive than anyone's done in decades. Let him and Howson have some more time to try and turn it around. If they can't, axe them as well

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Axe everyone except for MacT, and keep him on a short leash a la Calgary with Feaster. If he stumbles (a la Calgary, with Feaster), send him packing too.

MacT has made some moves, and some have panned out but he started with a terrible team so it's not like he's sent it into a tailspin. #2Cs don't magically appear and we don't have as many quality assets to move as we think, not without leaving a gaping hole. Maybe he should have kept Gagner, maybe not... but I want to give him one more offseason before canning him. Everyone else can go ASAP.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
LaForge - Pajama Jerseys & Octane
Lowe - Old
MacTavish - Boys
Buchberger - Club
Eakins - Failure to create change
Chabot - Dubynk last night

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lowe for sure for saying this in April 2013: "The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today."

And then being super tame because his buddy MacT is GM now before this season:
“We’re in a tough conference, no question; not using that as an excuse. But we should be better than a bunch of teams in our conference and we should be in a pack with a number of teams that are shooting for that seven/eight spot.”

He looks like a fool today on both accounts. He has no clue what he's doing and no vision at all for how to change this team into a winner. He's useless to anyone except for his friends that couldn't get jobs in any respectable NHL organization and continues to drag the Oilers down with bad hires and protecting people that should be fired.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
They have literally replaced the entire organization but the people running it and some scouts

New POHO
New GM
New Scouting Director

The Oilers are like the government; they just keep creating more positions, but never get rid of the bosses that **** it all up

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We might need a new owner.

Think about it: Lowe tries to resign and Katz says no way.

Lowe isn't going to fire Mac-T because of team history.

Mac-T is very shy about firing Eakins and Eakins isn't our team's only problem.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
We might need a new owner.

Think about it: Lowe tries to resign and Katz says no way.

Lowe isn't going to fire Mac-T because of team history.

Mac-T is very shy about firing Eakins and Eakins isn't our team's only problem.

His fandom is damaging the team.

Unfortunately with the new arena and real estate deals in place he won't be leaving anytime soon.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
timthumb.php

Every head must roll... every single one in management... to the scouting department... to coaching.

Scorched earth and blood in the streets.

Start fresh and let all new blood ascertain what the issues are with this roster and go from there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eakins and Lowe. MacT has done more to try and make this team competitive than anyone's done in decades. Let him and Howson have some more time to try and turn it around. If they can't, axe them as well

In decades? Do you know what that word means. MacT has been in charge for two years and has just seen the team regress. In large part because of the coach he hired prior to interviewing anyone else for the head coach position. This team has gotten substantially worse under MacT. Not better. MacT doesn't just get a mulligan here. He needs to be out the door with Eakins, Lowe and Howson.

Decades ago the Oilers were the class of the NHL. Hell 10 years ago they were a team that made the playoffs on a semi consistent basis.

Decades.... :shakehead

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fire Lowe/Mac T/Eakins/entire scouting staff.

Promote Bob Nicholson as president of hockey ops, at least in the interim.

Hire a seasoned, experienced GM.

Hire Terry Murray as coach.

Gretzky can be an ambassador for the franchise and can go represent the Oilers at the 2015 NHL Draft. I'd keep him around to maybe have a chat with Hall and co. at year end because their patience is probably going to be wearing thin. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad