At what age does a player stop being young in your books?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
When I turned 30 I instantly had appreciation for pro athletes in their 30s. Holy hell.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016
For superstars or supposed-to-be superstars, pretty much 20. For mere mortals, something like 23-24.

Evergreen

When I turned 30 I instantly had appreciation for pro athletes in their 30s. Holy hell.

Lol me too. My body started falling apart as soon as I turned 28. I'm almost 30 now and I just got diagnosed with a hernia that will require surgery. Feel old as hell.

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
Not sure.

Until 20, they're kids.

At 20, they leave the baby fat behind (and from a teenager's perspective, they're not really "young" anymore), but they're still very young, they learn and they learn quick.

At 22, the post-teenage age is over too, and if you're a pro-athlete, you'd better be getting your act together soon. Still young though.

23-25, strictly physically, you're at your best. That's where speed and explosiveness meet your peak or near-peak strength. Still young, but in a mature way.

26-30, not really young anymore, but still far from old. Regeneration starts slowing down and so do you. Meanwhile, years, then months, then fortnights, weeks, eventually even days and hours run faster. Quality sleep is harder to get. On the other hand, your strength peaks and you know way more than all those speedy flashy rookies. You're in the "had I known all this ten years ago, boy, I would have conquered the..." blah blah phase. Possibly your best.

Past 30, it all goes down. Not overnight, but at 32/33 at the latest, you know the best years are behind, and it keeps getting worse by a year.

Over 35, you find yourself having barely enough time to hang on, let alone to learn or improve. This is the true survival phase. The average life expectancy of cavemen was 25. Based on what it took to survive in the old stone age, you're well past due, and let's face it, any pro sport is a jungle.

Past 40, you're either retired, or an aberration.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I still think Drew Doughty is a young kid but then I realize he's 27 with almost 700 games played.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
23 years and 3 months. After that they are in their prime until 30 years and 9 months.

Younger than 23.25 has potential to develop. Older than 30.75 is on the decline.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm going to call any player younger than me a kid. Any player older than me is a declining bag of pucks.

Pro Tip: Anyone exactly my age is at the sweet spot, aka: in their prime. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad