Line Combos: at practice today

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
We all saw this coming with Penner...he had 1 big goal in the playoffs, but really, was he great? No. 3 goals in 20 games. Even Sutter said he almost didn't play him toward the end of the game against Phoenix where he scored the big GW.

That's the odd thing, when he wants to, he can be a force, use his size. But that doesn't happen frequently enough. Maybe SUtter is the kind of coach he needs to bring that out. But it's not good if the only way to motivate him is to bench him. I really thought after what DL said (that during the contract talks, Penner vowed to prove his worht, etc.) Penner would be that guy.
Maybe he will...maybe he's rusty...

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
He did get moved up, he soared...good for him, he deserves it. And remember last Feb when king and nolan came up and got put on Richards line? Good things happend that game.

Cliffy plays the game the way Sutter did, which is why Sutter rewards that and respects it.

GKG

But not good enough. The Kings lost that one and 4 out of the next 5. Good things happened when Carter arrived and King and Nolan moved to more suitable roles.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I would love to see the Cliffy line stay intact, they have chemistry, about the only line that did.

I am probably the only one but I would love to see a Kopitar, Brown, Carter line. Let Carter's speed and Kopitars size and passing ability push back the defense. Plus he and his BFF need to be split, both looked disinterested lately.

Maybe an ex Flyer line of Richards, Williams and Gagne

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Westgarth traded, Stewart already on waivers, Hickey lost to the NYI, Greene out for the year, Penner stinking it up....what a year so far! Kinda sad.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
am probably the only one but I would love to see a Kopitar, Brown, Carter line. Let Carter's speed and Kopitars size and passing ability push back the defense.

That wouldn't work, keeping Carter and Kopi on separate lines makes the oppostion choose who to cover. It gives the Kings a huge advantage and was a reason they began to win so many games post Mar 1.

Plus he and his BFF need to be split, both looked disinterested lately.

Lately? ReallY? It's only been 2 games...TWO ..T-W-O...Like the rest of top six was outstanding Right?

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Brown let up on a few big hit last night....I don't know why.

We all saw this coming with Penner...he had 1 big goal in the playoffs, but really, was he great? No. 3 goals in 20 games. Even Sutter said he almost didn't play him toward the end of the game against Phoenix where he scored the big GW.

he was pretty terrible last night, he coughed the puck up in his own zone which directly led to a goal against and was soft the entire game. Sutter is notorious for lighting a fire under players butts but i think Penner is too far gone :help:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Westgarth traded, Stewart already on waivers, Hickey lost to the NYI, Greene out for the year, Penner stinking it up....what a year so far! Kinda sad.

Does anyone care that Westgarth was traded or that Stewart was sent down?

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Does anyone care that Westgarth was traded or that Stewart was sent down?
Nope. Why does this team need Westgarth? It's not like we need more scripted fights, dumb penalties and no goals.

The bright spots this year are Big Red and Nolan. It's really nice to see Red step up big time, especially when last year people wanted him sent back to Manchester.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Nope. Why does this team need Westgarth? It's not like we need more scripted fights, dumb penalties and no goals.

The bright spots this year are Big Red and Nolan. It's really nice to see Red step up big time, especially when last year people wanted him sent back to Manchester.

I know, it's just kinda a bummer that the team is already undergoing some changes. We kept the team intact and now with injuries and trades, it's sad to see guys leave or get sent down or picked up on waivers...

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I know, it's just kinda a bummer that the team is already undergoing some changes. We kept the team intact and now with injuries and trades, it's sad to see guys leave or get sent down or picked up on waivers...
My biggest fear is that we are going to trade Clifford since all of our stars are slacking (in order to bring in a bigger fish). If Cliff continues to play well, his value is going to rise. I don't want to see him go.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Great post Dee.

I was worried about Richards start to the season because of him not really playing a lot of hockey, but a lot of us feel that once he gets his timing back, he will be the monster that we all saw in the playoffs.

I figured carter, Richards, penner, gagne, williams, greene, and Mitchell would struggle early since they didn't play any competitive hockey.

Brown is one that baffles me since he did play in Europe. Lets give it a few games before we rush to judgments. And pray the lakers bad mojo doesn't transfer over to the kings lol

Brown has also confused me. He has had his training camp yet he's been pretty invisible. I'm not worried about Carter catching fire, he was getting chances last night and they'll start to go in. I'm more worried that a lot of guys will push themselves too hard in order to make an impact when they're not in game shape yet. I'm more concerned about guys getting bad injuries because of the lack of training time than anything else.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
It's only been 2 games...TWO ..T-W-O...Like the rest of top six was outstanding Right?

:handclap:

I know it's a shortened season, and I want to see the Kings go on a roll. But I agree with the above. Keep everything in perspective, it's been two games. And i think the best time for Sutter to jumble the lines to get things working is now, not mid or late season.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I have to ask...is Alec Martinez getting PP time over Voynov? And what kind of potential does Martinez have? Thanks guys.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I have to ask...is Alec Martinez getting PP time over Voynov? And what kind of potential does Martinez have? Thanks guys.
They're getting powerplay time on the same unit. Martinez is very underrated. He's a great skater who can hit pretty hard for being on the smallish side. He doesn't go out of his way to throw the body, but he'll do it when the opportunity is there.

His offensive abilities are solid, too. Good first pass out of the zone, and reads the play well and knows when to jump in. He had the best puck possession statistics out of the Kings' defensemen in the playoffs (albeit, in sheltered minutes). I could see him putting upwards of ~40ish (provided he gets some good puck luck with assists) points in the best years of his career. He's playing an increased role right now with Mitchell out.

EDIT: Here's a good article that talks about the underlying numbers for Martinez: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2013/1/15/3879752/do-the-kings-need-to-add-a-top-four-defenseman

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
They're getting powerplay time on the same unit. Martinez is very underrated. He's a great skater who can hit pretty hard for being on the smallish side. He doesn't go out of his way to throw the body, but he'll do it when the opportunity is there.

His offensive abilities are solid, too. Good first pass out of the zone, and reads the play well and knows when to jump in. He had the best puck possession statistics out of the Kings' defensemen in the playoffs (albeit, in sheltered minutes). I could see him putting upwards of ~40ish (provided he gets some good puck luck with assists) points in the best years of his career. He's playing an increased role right now with Mitchell out.

EDIT: Here's a good article that talks about the underlying numbers for Martinez: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2013/1/15/3879752/do-the-kings-need-to-add-a-top-four-defenseman
wow thanks for the input and link, much appreciated.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's no secret that Richards and a lot of the top six are playing themselves into shape.

Carter/Kopitar/Brown look ok physical wise. But everyone else looks gassed by mid shift. The third period they were dead.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
You actually only saw him until Dec 1, when his regular season ended. Prior to that the 11 goals and 20 points in 24 games was the best start he's ever gotten off to.

Perhaps that's the dominant issue with Mike Richards, then, that given his lack of size and overwhelming skill, his productivity is dependent on perfect health in order to be truly effective in the type of game he plays. True, players play better when healthy, but if his true strengths are his smarts and battle, his limitations easily show when lacking health. In others words, when players lack the obvious 3 S's: size, speed and skill, perfect health matters much more, especially if having to measure up to high expectations that star players like Richards has. I guess this combo of factors is why I hold my breath every time Richards takes a hit.

But with that said, I think that's the beauty of Richards in the lineup, being that he is the perfect complement to Kopitar. If the occasion requires size and skill, Kopi fits the bill. And if the occasion requires smarts and battle, plug in Richards for the need.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I believe Penner is the healthy scratch tonight.

The Oilers are soft as heck, Kings better hammer them. Eager is out with a concussion, Hordichuk is not playing, Sutton is gone for the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad