Prospect Info: At 215th Overall The Blackhawks Select LD Josh Ess

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Bit undersized but a great puck moving defenseman. Played a few games here in Cedar Rapids this past spring and was supposed to spend the upcoming year here but Wisky pulled him in. Great kid

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
The plan was for him to come to Wisconsin after a year in the USHL. I assume his coming this fall is the result of them liking his development enough to take him basically straight out of high school. The Hawks will certainly have a unique insight on this kid with Granato having just moved over from Wisconsin and Mark Osiecki still an assistant at Wisconsin after having been with the IceHogs.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Was hoping the Wild would draft him in a later round. I have watched Josh play since he was in 4th grade, and he is my younger brother's favorite non NHL player. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people. He's a very smooth skater and is so poised with the puck. I think he will QB Wisconsin's PP when he gets there. Even though he's a Hawk I hope he makes it to the big leagues!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Good late-round flyer. Smooth puck mover, great skater. Great eyes and head for the game. Game needs development but he'll have four years at a resurging Wisconsin program to do it at.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
if that was him scoring..... what poise he has..... no panic no rushing, he has some great hands. i wonder if he can make it as a forward ??

many thanks for this update.
I had to really look but yeah # 20 has ESS on his jersey.
Yeah LDF .. nice hands!

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
if that was him scoring..... what poise he has..... no panic no rushing, he has some great hands. i wonder if he can make it as a forward ??

I'm not sure why the tweet says Esser, maybe trying to be hip, but it is definitely Josh Ess. Hasn't shown a ton of offensive upside. His strengths are really his smart plays. He's done an awesome job going from high school hockey to college puck.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm not sure why the tweet says Esser, maybe trying to be hip, but it is definitely Josh Ess. Hasn't shown a ton of offensive upside. His strengths are really his smart plays. He's done an awesome job going from high school hockey to college puck.
this is me just spit-ballin but this this player is just getting a grip of his skills, he would be slow in the developmental stage.

but oh well, he did a nice play there.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Actually, the play was made by the guy who passed the puck. Totally took the hit to make the pass, which was perfect.

Good finish though.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Actually, the play was made by the guy who passed the puck. Totally took the hit to make the pass, which was perfect.

Good finish though.
yeah i notice that.... he got crashed to make that play.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Ess was named to Team USA's "Summer Showcase", basically a training camp for the WJCs. Barratt also there.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad