Assuming There is an Expansion Draft...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Now that the Vegas deal went down, let's assume there is the expansion draft...

Would you prefer to keep both Hiller and Ramo + 3D's and 7F's?

Or, would you prefer to keep 1G, 5D, and 9F's protected?

However, with our not as talented roster as other teams, I think we could afford only picking 7 forwards and 3 defenseman to protect.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Depends, do we get to keep our prospects, or are they up for grabs also?

I was too young to know about what happened in 2000. I think there has to be a certain amount of games played for a prospect to be considered a "player", so I think Baertschi would have to be one of the forwards we keep.

Last edited:

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I was too young to know about what happened in 2000. I think there has to be a certain amount of games played for a prospect to be considered a "player", so I think Baertschi would have to be one of the forwards we kept.

Isn't it 25 games or something?

Baertschi has played 51, so yeah, he's out of that discussion.

Aug 3, 2010
If there is an expansion in the works to 34 teams, it's been said it won't be revealed until 2016-2017 at the earliest - therefore, it's best to keep out prospects out of mention as it's hard to tell which ones will have played over the 25-game eligibility.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If there is an expansion in the works to 34 teams, it's been said it won't be revealed until 2016-2017 at the earliest - therefore, it's best to keep out prospects out of mention as it's hard to tell which ones will have played over the 25-game eligibility.

I agree. But just for discussion, who would you keep right now?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If there is an expansion draft one thing that is for certain IMO is teams would be forced to protect players with NMCs or get the player to waive their NMC in order to be made available.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think quite a few players would waive their NMC's. Maybe some would want a new beginning.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd likely go with 1g, 5d, 9f.

Ramo

Giordano
Brodie
Smid
Engelland (Yes, seriously)
Russell

Bouma
Colborne
Baertschi
Byron
Glencross
Stajan
Monahan
Backlund
Raymond

I'd also offer the expansion team something if they do not claim Hiller. Hopefully Wideman would be claimed, then I'd try to sign Derek Morris.

Edit: Better yet... just offer the team something so they take Wideman.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Ramo

Giordano
Brodie
Smid
Russell

Bouma
Colborne
Baertschi
Byron
Glencross
Stajan
Monahan
Backlund
Raymond

I'd also offer the expansion team something if they do not claim Hiller. Hopefully Wideman would be claimed, then I'd try to sign Derek Morris.

You would protect Byron and Raymond over Hudler?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Ramo

Giordano
Brodie
Smid
Russell

Bouma
Colborne
Baertschi
Byron
Glencross
Stajan
Monahan
Backlund
Raymond

I'd rather have Engelland unprotected. Teams aren't going to go for him with the contract that we gave him. Morris sucks now. Same case for Byron, no team had interest in him when he was a UFA, so I'd rather keep Hudler.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This is how it happened in 93 (Florida & Anaheim)

- Each team required to submit a protected player list to the NHL. Each team can protect 1 goalie, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards.

- Each team must make available 1 goaltender with an NHL contract, 1 defensemen and two forwards with NHL experience (more than 70 games in the last two seasons, or more than 40 games last season)

- All first year pros and second year pros on the reserve list are exempt. The definition of a "pro season" means 11 games for an 18 or 19-year old or 1 pro game played as a 20-year old or older.

- Each club (of the 24 at the time) would lose two players. Each club would lose a maximum of one goalie and a maximum of one defenseman.

- Each expansion club (FLA & ANA) would select up to three goaltenders, eight defensemen, and 13 forwards.

- There was a limit placed on free agent signings, but with the cap system in place I don't see that as a requirement.

As for who the Flames would protect/expose, I think it's far too soon to predict, but assuming it happened after this season, I'd protect:
Forwards:
1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Hudler
4. Stajan
5. Baertschi
6. Granlund
7. Bouma
8. Backlund
9. ????

1. Giordano
2. Russell
3. Brodie
4. Wideman
5. Wotherspoon

Goalie
1. Ortio

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
Ramo (Ortio if he develops as a legitimate starter in that short span)

Giordano
Brodie
Smid
Russell
Wortherspoon (if he plays enough games by expansion)/Wideman

Hudler
Backlund
Colborne
Monahan
Glencross
Raymond
Bouma
Baertschi
Gaudreau (if needed at the time of expansion)/Granlund (again, if he meets the requirement for expansion draft eligibility)/Stajan

Adjusted for my picks.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Now that the Vegas deal went down, let's assume there is the expansion draft...

Would you prefer to keep both Hiller and Ramo + 3D's and 7F's?

Or, would you prefer to keep 1G, 5D, and 9F's protected?

However, with our not as talented roster as other teams, I think we could afford only picking 7 forwards and 3 defenseman to protect.

I wouldnt protect Hiller. I also wouldnt protect Engelland, Smid and possibly Wideman, but thats just me. If Wotherspoon, Ortio and Sven have to be protected that could really throw a wrench into things.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Just too tough to call right now as I don't know the circumstances surrounding whether prospects would have to be protected and who would have made the team as a full-time player by the time a draft like this would occur.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Probably wouldn't protect Hiller. On D we really only have 3 guys (who need protecting) worth protecting: Brodie, Gio, Russell. But at F you could make an argument for more than 7 guys, potentially. The only guy who's straight-up useless on the ice is McGrattan.

Purely from a trade value standpoint you're going to get more out of keeping four extra skaters than one extra goalie the majority of the time (unless you're Vancouver when they still had Lu and Schneider).

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Probably wouldn't protect Hiller. On D we really only have 3 guys (who need protecting) worth protecting: Brodie, Gio, Russell. But at F you could make an argument for more than 7 guys, potentially. The only guy who's straight-up useless on the ice is McGrattan.

Purely from a trade value standpoint you're going to get more out of keeping four extra skaters than one extra goalie the majority of the time (unless you're Vancouver when they still had Lu and Schneider).

1583057110.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad