Speculation: Assistant GM search

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
If Regier put his name forward for the job I would say the search is over - the Don will sign him up provided he doesn't get the GM job in Van or elsewhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You are correct, but to be fair though, that was 19 years ago and both have gained almost 4 decades of experience combined since then.

I like how the article mentions the Briere trade. "Remember how that worked out, Coyote fans? This guy has chops."

I could see Darcy staying on the east coast to live wherever he wants while running the Pirates and being available for Don. He can bide his time until another GM position opens up.

I'm more interested in this anecdote:

The Coyotes also are expected to announce a move in their scouting department sometime before the draft.

Smalltime scout changes usually aren't announced in any sort of way. Wonder what is going on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Depending on how thing go that might be internal :laugh:

GMs are often fired for things beyond their control, at times where they really didn't do much wrong.

This offseason is not one of those times.

It's a crucial transition for a team struggling to make the playoffs with an aging core yet a handful of talented youngsters. I think how Maloney handles it will determine whether or not he's at the helm come next draft. It also will set the table for the entire run-up to the out clause. I really wouldn't fault the owners for firing him for botching it all.

If Doug Wilson ever hit the market I'd probably find any excuse to have him replace Maloney.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
GMs are often fired for things beyond their control, at times where they really didn't do much wrong.

This offseason is not one of those times.

It's a crucial transition for a team struggling to make the playoffs with an aging core yet a handful of talented youngsters. I think how Maloney handles it will determine whether or not he's at the helm come next draft. It also will set the table for the entire run-up to the out clause. I really wouldn't fault the owners for firing him for botching it all.

If Doug Wilson ever hit the market I'd probably find any excuse to have him replace Maloney.

It will be interesting to see who DM hires. If DM is secure in his job outlook, he will hire the best available talent, even though it could be his replacement or he could loose him like Treveling. If he is less secure in his job, he will hire a lower level person, knowing he won't be an easy replacement should the owners become less then thrilled with DM. This will be an interesting hire....

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
It will be interesting to see who DM hires. If DM is secure in his job outlook, he will hire the best available talent, even though it could be his replacement or he could loose him like Treveling. If he is less secure in his job, he will hire a lower level person, knowing he won't be an easy replacement should the owners become less then thrilled with DM. This will be an interesting hire....

I doubt any of that comes into DM's mind during the hiring process. If it does he needs to be fired on the spot. Besides, ownership doesn't have to promote the AGM if Maloney ever got the axe, they could just as easily go outside the organization.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
A move in their scouting department is kind of vague. It doesn't say people will get fired but it doesn't say that they won't get fired. Maybe there is some restructuring going on. There was talk about people giving more responsibilities to some places and the possibility of having two people replace Treviling. I would not be surprised if the moves were more of a restructure than anything.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Knickle moved to AGM that'd count as a "move" in both depts. I doubt he wants to move from his home base in Western Canada to Portland Maine, though. Then again, maybe he does?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad