Speculation: Assistant GM search

KG

Sep 23, 2010
With Treveling moving on (congratulations), who do you think will be some candidates for the assistant GM position. This is an especially critical position with how Portland finished this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't have any names but ownership should give the hockey ops guys a blank check to go out and find anyone they want. Preferably someone who won't defer to Tippett and someone that can be honest with Maloney. Treliving may have been too much of an echo chamber, leading to what was a bad roster coming into this season.

There were so many options out there and Maloney stood pat and got burnt hard by it. Can't happen again. It takes three guys to sign off on that, so the ball was collectively dropped. Portland was also miserable although a lot of that was out of Treliving's hands.

If the Sharks get blown up I'd gladly take any of their front office guys.

Sean Burke has been "assistant to the General Manager" for a bit so maybe he'll just slide in, although that may be one too many hats to wear.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Nothing against Burke but I think now would be a great time for someone external to come in and honestly evaluate where the organization is right now.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Quotes from GMDM about the search, via Sarah McLellan:

As of yesterday, Maloney said 23 people have expressed interest in the AGM position. So far, he likes the sound of only two or three.

Maloney said goalie coach Sean Burke, who's also Assistant to the GM, has expressed interest in the role.

So Maloney is looking at internal candidates. He mentioned Chris O'Hearn, Sr. Director of Hockey Ops, as someone who's role will expand.

No timeline, however, for naming a replacement. Maloney confident in amateur staff for draft so not vital AGM in place by then.

Maloney "still mulling" candidates, which do include those not currently in the organization.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Panthers fired assistant GM Mike Santos last month. He used to be the director of hockey operations with Nashville. Maybe he's an option.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=717124&navid=DL|PHX|home

Maloney is considering restructuring the job description for the position, which Treliving had held since 2007.

"I'd like to find someone who fits for us," Maloney said, "and it might not be somebody who sits in the office next to mine, it might be someone who is out in the field more than he's in the office here... I've lost a confidant, and now I'm looking for somebody to fill that role. And it may be more than one person. It may be a couple of people beefing up our hockey IQ out in the field."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm afraid I missed the boat, fellas. If there were room for a drunken monkey in the front office of this organization, surely it'd have been during the Barney and Wayne-O-the-Clown era.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm afraid I missed the boat, fellas. If there were room for a drunken monkey in the front office of this organization, surely it'd have been during the Barney and Wayne-O-the-Clown era.

Don't write yourself off yet.... Maloney did state he may hire more than one person to fill the tasks Treveling performed.

What do you think of Maine?? ;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
People in frigid weather are less judgmental about alcohol abuse. Plus I could eat lobster every day on a budget. Sign me up!

It is not called abuse up there it is called consumption....If your good at getting coffee and doughnuts, apply for the job, that is mostly what it would be now...DM is not likely to hand over any power...

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Need asst GM and new coaches in Portland, i think.

Wonder what our first deal with Cgy will be.
Current coaching staff is expected back... Don't be shocked if the duties are handed to multiple people w/ O'Hearn dealing with contracts, Burke taking on more of the player development/scouting role and Edwards getting more the of Portland GM duties..... It's fairly common that the AHL coach has some autonomy on signing players especially during the season ie PTO's

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Interesting, had forgotten all about Darcy. Certainly has experience working on a budget team and with DM. There are definitely worse options out there. Hard to say who is good or bad though without knowing how DM intends to split the duties.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would be a great pick. I liked Regier's body of work in Buffalo. He's a qualified GM, let alone AGM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad