Speculation: Assistant Coaches

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I would expect Chris Taylor and James Patrick to be hired, makes too much sense not to. The main thing the new PP coach can do to succeed is put Benson on PP#1 right away with a healthy Tage and reap the benefits.
Right on. The addition of Benson and subtraction of Skinner would pay major dividends. I'd also consider adding Quinn on the right flank. I also am starting to wonder if Tuch should be on PP1. Personally I think it's best to have your highest IQ players on this unit.

Reactions: Reddawg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It was 6 days to hire Ruff, now it's going to be 6 weeks to hear anything about assistants.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was 6 days to hire Ruff, now it's going to be 6 weeks to hear anything about assistants.

It may be. If they cast a wide net to people he wants (and knows), some are still under contract to teams participating in various playoff series. Then there are possibilities of people not being interested or of their current team not being interested in allowing a move. It may take until the draft or so to get that all nailed down.

We also don't know if anyone is going to get sacked if they bomb out of the first round, which opens up folks on various coaching staffs to possibly being fired and added to the pool.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Very curious to find out what putting them in “the right place” means for the holdover assistants.

trash-cans.gif

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Appert, Prospal and McKee.

Appert was a goalie, so that won't hurt. Prospal for the PP and McKee for the Dee.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Not nearly enough NHL experience in that trio. Prospal's only been coaching in NA for this year, only has three years HC experience in Czechia. Too soon.
But if you put Peca there people will need to find their pants. Experience is a thing people say they want. They’re pretending

Adams said in is presser last week that he wants Appert to focus on Rochester which makes the most sense to me. Not sure why people seem to think that Appert is a shoe in as an assistant or to be the next head coach after Lindy unless I missed something.
Because his career trajectory is both ready for a step up and because they’re going to want to keep him in the organization. It’s very possible the options for next year don’t include “Seth Appert, Amerks head coach”. A lot of staffs are going to be filled this off-season. And he will be on one if he wants to be.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Adams said in is presser last week that he wants Appert to focus on Rochester which makes the most sense to me. Not sure why people seem to think that Appert is a shoe in as an assistant or to be the next head coach after Lindy unless I missed something.
Why wouldn’t he say that? If they have him earmarked for the job they’ll definitely want him to focus on playoffs rather than job interviews. It’s huge run for the organization

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
David Quinn is available. Lindy was an assistant on his staff in NY.

Just not sure if Quinn will get a HC job right now. Usually guys that coached the worst team in the league need to take a step back for a year or so.

Reactions: Faceboner

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
David Quinn is available. Lindy was an assistant on his staff in NY.

Just not sure if Quinn will get a HC job right now. Usually guys that coached the worst team in the league need to take a step back for a year or so.
I don't think Quinn has ever been an assistant anywhere but the NCAA....unless you count his developmental stint with the USNTDP.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think Quinn has ever been an assistant anywhere but the NCAA....unless you count his developmental stint with the USNTDP.

2012-13 he spent one season as an assistant in Colorado under Joe Sacco after 3 years as the Avs farm HC with Lake Erie.

Reactions: Zman5778

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Same. I don't see the fit. I don't think he's that good of a coach from what was said about his time in NY and SJ.
Quinn has never been a great coach. He got his NHL gig because he was a phenomenal recruiter at BU, and his teams were just more talented. Especially the year they had Eichel. When they won, it was due to talent. It hasn't surprised me one bit that he's fallen flat in the big leagues.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Quinn has never been a great coach. He got his NHL gig because he was a phenomenal recruiter at BU, and his teams were just more talented. Especially the year they had Eichel. When they won, it was due to talent. It hasn't surprised me one bit that he's fallen flat in the big leagues.

BU hasn't made the championship game since Quinn left and had the best prospect this year in Celebrini, You are underestimating how it takes more than just talent.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I need at least one assistant to be a guy on the verge of a head coaching gig. Those guys really put in the work to get noticed. I don't care who it is.

Edit: Not sure if he'd be interested in an assistant gig, but if Todd Richards doesn't land anywhere, he'd be a stellar hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: joshjull and Fjordy

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
BU hasn't made the championship game since Quinn left and had the best prospect this year in Celebrini, You are underestimating how it takes more than just talent.

BU was fantastic this year, and not trying to jump into strawman territory, but if you're indirectly saying that Quinn is a better coach than Pandolfo I'll be bookmarking this post to collect on down the road.

Quinn sucks...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe any of them:

Jay Woodcroft
Todd Nelson
Steve Ott

or

One of the head coaches in the NCAA, who looks like the most promising and interesting candidate there? I've only heard the names David Carle and Nate Leaman.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Oh I'm not downplaying how hard it is. But in my BU fandom, there's been 4 coaches. Parker was a hell of a coach who both brought in great players and made them better. Quinn and O'Connell were talent collectors and ace recruiters, but not great coaches (especially O'Connell, I'll grant Quinn was better than Albie). Pandolfo is a guy who actually coaches up the players, I feel very confident it's only a matter of time until they break through (Pereira is the ace recruiter on the staff).

But just watching the Quinn teams versus the Pandolfo teams there's a clear difference in HOW they play. That's what I'm basing my judgment off, not a single-elimination tournament. And if we dig up the coaching search thread from 2017 when Quinn was a popular choice to pair with Eichel, you'll notice I voiced the same exact concern back then arguing against Quinn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad