Assigning AHL Skaters to CHL After the Deadline?

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
What if Buffalo decided to send Alex Nylander back to Mississauaga? Would the league let him play even though its after the deadline? Would they allow it and just say they have to get rid of an import?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What if Buffalo decided to send Alex Nylander back to Mississauaga? Would the league let him play even though its after the deadline? Would they allow it and just say they have to get rid of an import?

Any player can be sent back down to junior at anytime provided that player is still on their roster.

Overage and Import rules would affect eligibility. Once you hit the deadline, you have to keep that player on your roster. You can't release them off your roster and then make room for them later. But, if a player is a North American 18 or 19 year old and the NHL team wants to send the player to his junior affiliate and that affiliate has that player on their roster, they can.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I believe this exact kind of situation happened with Jerry D'Amigo being sent to Kitchener after the deadline from the Marlies during the 2010-11 season.

As OMG mentioned, it's within the rules and why you see teams sometimes deal for players rights like London dealing for Milano's rights even though he would have been sent back after the OHL deadline.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I believe this exact kind of situation happened with Jerry D'Amigo being sent to Kitchener after the deadline from the Marlies during the 2010-11 season.

D'Amigo played 21 regular season games for the Rangers starting on 4th February 2011. Yes this was after the deadline, but not that far after it. I thought there was a date beyond which players cannot be sent back to their junior teams.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
D'Amigo played 21 regular season games for the Rangers starting on 4th February 2011. Yes this was after the deadline, but not that far after it. I thought there was a date beyond which players cannot be sent back to their junior teams.

I think its mid Feb if they are on your protected roster?
After that I believe you need the roster set. Please feel free to correct if Im wrong. Just a guess.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think its mid Feb if they are on your protected roster?
After that I believe you need the roster set. Please feel free to correct if Im wrong. Just a guess.

I don't remember any rule changes being made regarding deadline dates.

Richard Park was sent down to the Belleville Bulls during the 95-96 season. HE played 56 games with the Penguins and then played 6 games at the tail end of the year for Belleville heading into the playoffs so that would pretty much be right now in our schedule.

I always thought if the player remained on the roster he could be sent down. For example, if the Flyers wanted to send Konecny down tot he Sting right now, they can. They have no other option at this point. They can't send him to the AHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The date was Feb 10th - one month after the trade deadline - must be signed and on the roster by that date.

So Travis Konecny, provided he is on the Sting Roster, gets sent down after February 10th, he can't play for Sarnia?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So Travis Konecny, provided he is on the Sting Roster, gets sent down after February 10th, he can't play for Sarnia?
Must be signed by the 10th (Feb) and they must have kept a card open for him. Can't be signed if he is playing somewhere else. Go back to Windsors thread just before Feb 10th - you will see the comments about this from HL. At the time we were hoping for one more signing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Must be signed by the 10th (Feb) and they must have kept a card open for him. Can't be signed if he is playing somewhere else. Go back to Windsors thread just before Feb 10th - you will see the comments about this from HL. At the time we were hoping for one more signing.

Yes, my assumption is that Sarnia keeps aa card open for Konecny and Chychrun for example. My assumption also was that the players all have cards assigned to them regardless, not obtain one only when they are sent back to the OHL from the NHL.

I always assumed that if a team kept the player on card regardless of whether the player is in the NHL or not, that the player could return whenever. Cards are limited of course and there is no incentive to do this as NHL teams simply do not decide to send players down with 10 games left in the NHL season.

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
Yes, my assumption is that Sarnia keeps aa card open for Konecny and Chychrun for example. My assumption also was that the players all have cards assigned to them regardless, not obtain one only when they are sent back to the OHL from the NHL.

I always assumed that if a team kept the player on card regardless of whether the player is in the NHL or not, that the player could return whenever. Cards are limited of course and there is no incentive to do this as NHL teams simply do not decide to send players down with 10 games left in the NHL season.

So what is a "card"? Does that mean a roster spot basically? How many "cards" does each team get??

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Player cannot be signed by 2 different teams - ECHL/AHL/NHL can release a player back to junior anytime up to the 10th. NCCA can release a player ( never happens) or the player quits and goes to junior by the 10th. Must be signed to the junior roster and cannot play anywhere else after the 10th. Not sure if the 10th is a fixed date or is based on one month after the trade deadline. HL can correct me if I've missed something here.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Player cannot be signed by 2 different teams - ECHL/AHL/NHL can release a player back to junior anytime up to the 10th. NCCA can release a player ( never happens) or the player quits and goes to junior by the 10th. Must be signed to the junior roster and cannot play anywhere else after the 10th. Not sure if the 10th is a fixed date or is based on one month after the trade deadline. HL can correct me if I've missed something here.

Significance of the date doesn't really matter. The spirit of the rule is all that matters. Thanks,

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So what is a "card"? Does that mean a roster spot basically? How many "cards" does each team get??
To answer this directly the answer is yes - but- there are different "cards" that can be assigned to players - Gold package cards, A cards, B Cards and so on. I'm actually not sure how many cards that a team can issue - I think it is 30 but I might be wrong. I believe they are only allowed 7 gold cards and they usually go to first round picks. Also each team has a 50 man ( again may be wrong about the number) protected list where players on this list who have been drafted or traded to a team can only report to that team. A number of players chose to not report to their drafted teams and play elsewhere ( usually NCAA). Teams keep them on their protected list hoping they will someday report and/or ensuring they do not report to a competitor.
To sum this up - the process is confusing and the league likes to keep most of the rules behind the curtains and out of view of most fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad