Advice: Asking a parent to move away to play jr hockey

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The OP said he was getting an education first. Nothing wrong with getting an education and then taking a few years to see if pro hockey in Europe or something could work.

How is going back to school not worth it either btw? Tons of people go to school after age 25. I know a few people who decided to completely change their lives in their late 20s and that included going to school for a vastly different profession.

And the bolded:

If your life is hockey, getting to play hockey for a living, even if its minimum wage, is freaking awesome. I personally value doing things I love over doing something I don't. I guess it depends on your life goals, but I personally would rather play pro hockey at minimum wage in Europe for a few years than work in an office for my entire life. Only have so much time to play hockey, can work at an office your entire life.
By getting an education, it seems that OP is saying he is going to finish HS. That isn't enough in today's world. You need to either learn a trade or go to college if you want to have a good chance of getting a solid job.

You misunderstood me on the worth of education after playing hockey. I was saying that path isn't worth it because so many players never go back to school. Obviously I think getting an education is important regardless of age.

This is all you need to read OP. Stay at home with your friends, develop through playing local travel and HS hockey. By the time your ready for College, you'll be good enough player were you will have options and be able to play at a big school with a solid D3 or D1 ACHA program.

Honestly, college club hockey is JR's without the heavy supervision and/or pressure of getting noticed.

If your lucky enough, you'll be at a school with a rink close to campus. Get to skate 2-3 times a week in practice and then show off your skills in front of all the hotties who think your an NHL'r because girls don't know any better. After the game, youre out at the bars with teammates and your coach isn't really going to stop you. You're up the next morning completely forgetting that you even played a hockey game last night because of all the fun you had after with friends.

You'd be surprised the amount of skilled kids who played on solid Jr programs but we're just burnt out and decided they wanted to have fun and went to play ACHA hockey.

Think long term OP.

This. My best memories from college were weekends on the road with my teammates. It doesn't matter that it was club hockey and we were lucky to have more than 100 people watching. Know your limitations. Go to college and play hockey for fun not for a false dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad