Advice: Ask an enforcer / goon

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
I can ask around. I think there was a good bench clearing brawl taped on VHS-C somewhere. Playoff final game, we were losing and I facepalmed a kid with 10 seconds left in front of his own bench and their bench cleared out and went after me. It ended with both coaches fighting AND parents fighting in the bleachers.
My mom knocked the assistant coach on his ass...

Not the last coach she knocked out either :D

g04tm4n

Jan 3, 2014
I can ask around. I think there was a good bench clearing brawl taped on VHS-C somewhere. Playoff final game, we were losing and I facepalmed a kid with 10 seconds left in front of his own bench and their bench cleared out and went after me. It ended with both coaches fighting AND parents fighting in the bleachers.
My mom knocked the assistant coach on his ass...

Not the last coach she knocked out either :D

+ 1 for your mom sharing the passion for the game that you do! :D

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
IMO- Theres always a plays for an enforcer in junior and maybe midget hockey, basically any league where kids have the passion to work their ass off to win a game. Im not talking About someone who only wants to punch people in the throat, im talking about someone who can play the game well but is very solid in their physical play. Someone who can be used as as more of a grunt to stand in front of the net and make the other teams defences life a living hell. And obviously he should be there to give other players a good scare. I dont want to see kids younger than 18 dropping the gloves, I mean at 16 ive had my fair share of wishing I could beat the **** out of someone, but for what? We're not in the playoffs, and we definitely dont play hockey for a living so there shouldnt be fighting.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
IMO- Theres always a plays for an enforcer in junior and maybe midget hockey, basically any league where kids have the passion to work their ass off to win a game. Im not talking About someone who only wants to punch people in the throat, im talking about someone who can play the game well but is very solid in their physical play. Someone who can be used as as more of a grunt to stand in front of the net and make the other teams defences life a living hell. And obviously he should be there to give other players a good scare. I dont want to see kids younger than 18 dropping the gloves, I mean at 16 ive had my fair share of wishing I could beat the **** out of someone, but for what? We're not in the playoffs, and we definitely dont play hockey for a living so there shouldnt be fighting.
This is basically me. I play juniors and have been told that I play like a mix between Nik Grossmann and Braydon Coburn. So I think that puts me in a Pronger/Weber type area of play. Of course those guys are a lot better than me. I'm definitely not a goon but when you're 6'5" as an 18 year old, people are going to want to test your mettle.

I've also dropped the mitts a time or two. I think one ended up on YouTube somewhere.

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
What's the most important non-fighting skill an enforcer should have?

A good sense of humour and a sharp wit.

..and a brain. Got to know when not to put your own team under any pressure because of your actions.

yes, that's very important. Never have your actions be a detriment to your team.
as far as non-fighting skills, the most important thing to know is how to be as aggressive and physical as legally possible.

Zone denial is the most important part of my repertoire. I play Left defence, so my goal in every game is to make people TERRIFIED to use my side of the ice every time I step out there.
To do that you need to be able to turn someone inside out with legal hits whenever they touch the puck. Hip checks are ideal for this.
Also, to be able to do that you need to have explosive acceleration and the ability to always be able to MAKE those hits.
There's nothing more embarrassing to an enforcer than to whiff on a hit. If you try to make a hit and you don't make contact, you're gonna be standing out of position with your dick in your hand looking like a fool and if you're a defenceman, you've probably just allowed an earned scoring chance.
You need to know when it's appropriate to attack and in which zones. If you're playing a team that likes to float all its guys high, it may not be a great idea to force contact and zone denial in the attacking zone. You may want to attack in your defending zone or in the neutral/defending zone.

It also depends on your centre. If your centre has speed/acceleration and power and KNOWS how you're going to play a zone denial, than whiffing on a hit may not be as damaging as your centre should be able to bail you out. Of course your defensive partner should always be relied on as well, but don't put him on a 2+ on 1 disadvantage.

IMO, zone denial is probably the BEST thing a good enforcer can do.
It forces fancy-pants to not play so fancy (or put their head down as they try to toe drag and dangle). It forces the opposition to make quick or blind plays. I can't tell you how often someone sees me coming and just gets rid of the puck because they don't want to get hit... and back when you could still hit someone after they had just released the puck made this even better... if your level of play allows you to follow through on a hit after a pass is made, use it. Any chance you can get to flex your power is another notch for zone denial. If you can field a forward/centre and BOTH D with proper zone denial techniques, you can really screw with another team.

Make them afraid to touch the puck or run the puck in your area. Make them TERRIFIED to touch your goalie as well. Don't allow ANYONE to touch your goalie EVER. That would be rule 1 of any good enforcer defenceman. Your goalie is your greatest asset. Don't let the opposition touch them. Your best friend on that ice should be your goalie first and your D partner second. On-ice and off-ice. I really can't stress that enough. You need to have a bond with your goalie so tight that it's like family if they screw with them.
I don't hang out with a lot of my old team mates from hockey... but I still hang out with my goalie YEARS after he retired from active play.

And that all goes with my other big need for an enforcer: communication. Your team better know how you play before you play that way. You talk to your guys on the bench and off the bench. You tell them to critique you and dopeslap you when you make bonehead moves. Own your play style and don't make excuses. If you can't hack it as an enforcer, don't force it!

Build those bonds of friendship and communication. Defend your team as if they were your family. Force a scorched earth policy on ice and keep the other team thinking twice before they get into your zone.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

:D

enough e-thugging from me. In all seriousness, this is how I played and how my mindset is to this day. When I step on the ice, I defend my house. Luckily in beer league, everyone is a good guy and there's not much muscle to flex.
For you guys still playing in contact leagues, give it a try.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
This thread makes me yearn for a YouTube "this is me fighting" thread. Being a goon in the league I play in can be expensive. First fight, 1 game, 2nd fight 3 games. I'm on one fight right now, not getting suspended for 3 games unless I absolutely need to destroy somebody's face.

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
I stopped playing when I got to college. I went to a college that was at a higher level than I was and with a coach that didn't approve of my play style.
This was 1999. I started boxing around that time instead. Then I stopped that and got real fat and drank too much.
Now I'm back down to my high school weight and playing pickup games here and there.
I wish I'd played college now and learned to calm my aggression down. I probably would have been a great asset without being such a meathead.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Lol. Yeah, that's fun too. Or last game of the season/playoffs. That's when I'd start line brawls.

Where was all this happening? I am about 6-7 years older than you, and grew up in Charlestown. I had cousins that played in Lexington and Arlington who fall between your age and my age as well. Fighting was all but abolished from the high school game by my time in HS, and most any league around by then didn't stand for it. Not too mention it was a ridiculously steep penalty by the MIAA for even removing your helmet/cage on ice. It just didn't happen.

Did I miss something?

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
I played in Valley and North Suburban league. Most fights came with a one game suspension. Though in my summer leagues I would get tossed for the remainder of the season.
High school junior varsity wasn't as policed either. Mostly single game suspensions. I played for Bishop Fenwick. I would get a few games suspended by my coach too if I fought, so it was a rarer occurrence. But in midget and bantam I fought a lot.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I am confused by this thread... you are a self-proclaimed "enforcer" who played in a no-fighting league, never made it out of high school leagues, and never truly had any success even therein from the sounds of it.

So... what should people be asking you? :help:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Honestly wtf is this? If you were an AHLer, ECHLer or even former major junior player it'd be an awesome thread but the only people labeling a 17-year old in midget hockey a "goon" is themselves.

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
It rarely was more than a game. And this thread wasn't just about fighting.
I thought I outlined my background pretty well. If there's some enforcers with more professional experience let them assist as well.
Just trying to be as helpful as I can from my experience.

I was actually featured on Fox25 news back in 1998 on a segment on "violence in youth hockey".

But that's my only claim to fame. I am admittedly a "never was". I made no claims otherwise.

Last edited:

chapel

Feb 23, 2014
Salem MA
The opposite was true in real life. I was constantly picked on for my size. Kids thought I was Pejorative Slured because I was as tall as a 5th grader in 1st. Everyone thought I was a multiple hold back and I was bullied constantly.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
I am confused by this thread... you are a self-proclaimed "enforcer" who played in a no-fighting league, never made it out of high school leagues, and never truly had any success even therein from the sounds of it.

So... what should people be asking you? :help:

One time I punched a kid in the cage in a summer roller hockey league. Maybe I should make an ask a goon thread too

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Lighten up peoples. it's all a bit of fun. No matter how good, big or tough you are or someone thinks they are, how much they earn or how good looking they are, there's always someone else better, bigger, tougher, wealthier or better looking somewhere.

If that's you, where's the harm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad