Player Discussion Ashton Sautner

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
In my eyes he's been absolutely phenomenal since being recalled. It's been a really small sample size, but he's been aggressive in the corners and has been making really simple, yet smart plays.

Can he carve out a roster spot next year?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's been surprisingly decent in a small sample size but it would be very unusual if a player who had been so middling in the AHL could step up to the NHL and hold down a job effectively.

Better than Pouliot, though.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's just signed a 2 year two way / league minimum deal, so he's good value if sticks around.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I hope he sticks around...maybe he could become 'Tanev Lite'......playing an effective but unspectacular game...Its still way too small of a sample size to say he can stick in the NHL.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He's been surprisingly decent in a small sample size but it would be very unusual if a player who had been so middling in the AHL could step up to the NHL and hold down a job effectively.

On paper, yes, but in practice, sometimes players who aren't producing in the AHL are making intelligent plays that only better players can read/understand/respond to, so it takes them playing at the next level to see if they are actually any good - very counterintuitive at first, but it begins to make sense especially with defensive players. If a smart player plays with dumb role players for too long, the smart player's plays can result in very bad outcomes all the same.

That's why it's a good idea to test top prospects at the NHL level, even if they have had trouble progressing through lower levels, because sometimes they just need to play with better players who can read the game like them.

Reactions: Jack Burton

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

I was not impressed with Sautner at all in his first two seasons with the Comets but he has been the most improved player from last year to this year by a wide margin. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he is doing well in the NHL as he has been the Comets most steady defenseman all season. One of the Comets few dmen that will meet the oncoming forward near the blue line instead of sagging back into his own goaltender. Plays physical and makes good quick decisions with the puck.

Night and day from where he was at the previous two seasons where he looked tentative and not confident with his decision making.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I was not impressed with Sautner at all in his first two seasons with the Comets but he has been the most improved player from last year to this year by a wide margin. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he is doing well in the NHL as he has been the Comets most steady defenseman all season. One of the Comets few dmen that will meet the oncoming forward near the blue line instead of sagging back into his own goaltender. Plays physical and makes good quick decisions with the puck.

Night and day from where he was at the previous two seasons where he looked tentative and not confident with his decision making.

Thanks for the report from Utica.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Looks pretty solid, much better than I expected based on a few AHL games I've seen over the years.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah has not looked out of place. In fact I'd say he has looked quite good, just making safe plays, and being a low event defensive player. He has decent size, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of him to be honest

Can I just say, speaking of Utica defenders, that I'm super upset McEneny got injured for the season this year? I think this would have been his year to make the NHL for good. Hoping it doesn't set him back to much, his start to the year was great, and his year last year was great too. He'll be 24 next year though.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Been impressed by Sautner as well.....hard to believe that the kid was never drafted and signed with the Canucks out of the Dub after being passed over in a couple of drafts....gives you some hope that guys like MacEwan and Chatfield might have a future in the league as well....sometimes though you just have to scratch your head at NHL scouting.....not one of these kids even worth a seventh round draft pick?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sautner has frequently been a year behind McEneny (as in he is this year's McEneny).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad