TV: Ash and Pikachu's journey ends after 25 years

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Some things just have to come to an end, you know, like Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Wait,. . . . Henrik and Daniel never came to an end, nevermind just kidding!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
A fad that if you own some of them now, the right ones, in good condition they could be worth thousands.
Yeah I vaguely remember everyone wanted the…hologram Charizard one??

This one IIRC

1671226965023.jpeg

A buddy of mine had one back in the day.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

This one IIRC

View attachment 622508

I was in like 5th grade when Pokemon came out and I remember how there was a rumor that beneath our giant playground apparatus someone had dropped this card (in mint condition and all that). It might still be there, waiting for someone to find it!

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
remember that episode of Pokemon where Ash found a new Pokemon, only for Team Rocket to show up and try to steal it, then Pikachu saved the day by electrocuting them into high orbit?
My 12 year old self does. I LOVED this show when it first came out. My best friend and I were obsessed. He's since passed due to drug addiction.

Also,i made the mistake of giving all my Pokémon cards to my younger brother (im 11 years older). He traded Charizard for a pile of nothing. I couldn't believe it. I remember vividly opening my first blue pack, which was more expensive than the other two, shuffling through the cards, and finding a Charizard. At the time, I didn't realize how rare it was, but as the months went by, and my friends penned more and more packs with no success and would offer anything and everything for him- i realized I struck gold.

I should've told my little brother how rare that card was. Actually I should've kept it for myself!

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Wow... remember the beginning of this. Nuts that it went so long with the one character. Hope they give him a worthwhile sendoff.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
My 12 year old self does. I LOVED this show when it first came out. My best friend and I were obsessed. He's since passed due to drug addiction.

Also,i made the mistake of giving all my Pokémon cards to my younger brother (im 11 years older). He traded Charizard for a pile of nothing. I couldn't believe it. I remember vividly opening my first blue pack, which was more expensive than the other two, shuffling through the cards, and finding a Charizard. At the time, I didn't realize how rare it was, but as the months went by, and my friends penned more and more packs with no success and would offer anything and everything for him- i realized I struck gold.

I should've told my little brother how rare that card was. Actually I should've kept it for myself!
If it makes you feel better, my sister gave away my Super Nintendo with like 20 games that I saved up for FOREVER to get and I still haven’t forgiven her.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It always kind of surprised me that people stuck with the anime as long as they did. I think I stopped watching after Johto.

This one IIRC

View attachment 622508

I used to have a bunch as a kid. My aunt would buy them for me all the time. My mom, when we moved to Vegas threw my entire collection away during the move. I went back this year and looked at how much I could've sold my rarest ones (including two of those Charizards in the picture) if I'd kept them in at least good condition. I was quite pissed off.

Sep 19, 2008
It always kind of surprised me that people stuck with the anime as long as they did. I think I stopped watching after Johto.

I used to have a bunch as a kid. My aunt would buy them for me all the time. My mom, when we moved to Vegas threw my entire collection away during the move. I went back this year and looked at how much I could've sold my rarest ones (including two of those Charizards in the picture) if I'd kept them in at least good condition. I was quite pissed off.
I started watching again a few years ago, only because I found a trove of episodes in Japanese. Eventually the episodes disappeared around Season 6 but I kept watching. I'm on season 7 now.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Shit now I feel old. I was in school when this premiered and the OG cards were a huge fad.

Fad? My students still rush to bust out their cards every break. Reminds me of what I must have been like as a kid, kinda cool.

Good direction for the franchise/series, imo. Ash is like 40 at this point, in a normal timeline- you aren’t erasing him, you’re just adding to the lore with someone new.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, one thing that you realize when you look back on the times is that Pokemon never really lost in popularity. We just got older. The fervor from when it first came out naturally isn't there but Pokemon is and always has been very prominent in kid culture.

Reactions: Primary Assist

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Yeah, one thing that you realize when you look back on the times is that Pokemon never really lost in popularity. We just got older. The fervor from when it first came out naturally isn't there but Pokemon is and always has been very prominent in kid culture.
I remember when I was a teenager someone tried to convince me that Nintendo was years away from bankruptcy because once the Pokemon fad burst they were going to go belly up.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
When I was a kid I actually got a shiny Charizard in a booster pack or whatever they call it when they charge kids $11 in 90s money for a few pieces of thin cardboard.

One of the older kids bought it from me for $20 on the bus, and I was so happy I told my Mom. She thought that I ripped the boy off, as moms have no understanding of a child's perception of value, much like how moms occupy that liminal space of being a girl and not being a girl.

Anyway, she told me that if the other boy cared about that card so much then he deserved it, and that I had to give him his $20 back and let him keep the card.

I guess I learned a lesson that day?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ah yes, the Ash Ketchum that was in existence for 25 years and still did not age a single drop lol. I still remember some amazing episodes of the first three or so seasons before it went off the deep end for the milk factor (or jumping the shark). One of the few shows my nine-year-old self knew that nothing was happening in it. My favourite to this day is the Ghastly who played the girl ghost, the old lady, and that random bloke, don't think I will ever forget that episode. I think the show would've been much more worthy to watch if big things happened in it. Far too between are episodes where he got a badge or had any sort of significance. Just a ton of filler. I hope they end with a bang and confirm that Giovanni is his father from the theory/rumour that was spread around decades ago.

Shit now I feel old. I was in school when this premiered and the OG cards were a huge fad.
A fad? Pokemon cards are still highly desirable and collectable. I had a friend who used to work at Target and they were such in high demand that they would only sell one packet to one person, at times all the cards were taken off the shelf and stocked in the back to sell one pack to one-person rule when things were getting crazy due to the demand. You had some collectors come in and drop multiple thousands on them. Granted they were in the few, they are still very much popular even if they won't ever reach the 90s hype again.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
When I was a kid I actually got a shiny Charizard in a booster pack or whatever they call it when they charge kids $11 in 90s money for a few pieces of thin cardboard.

One of the older kids bought it from me for $20 on the bus, and I was so happy I told my Mom. She thought that I ripped the boy off, as moms have no understanding of a child's perception of value, much like how moms occupy that liminal space of being a girl and not being a girl.

Anyway, she told me that if the other boy cared about that card so much then he deserved it, and that I had to give him his $20 back and let him keep the card.

I guess I learned a lesson that day?

:biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad