As The Season Ends....Regarding Giroux

Rubberneck

Jul 28, 2016
I've seen a number of threads in this area slamming Giroux -- "oh he is not elite, no way", bad stuff about him. I'm guessing these are people who are angry because they had him on their Fantasy Hockey team (and he didn't produce expected points).

Giroux is playing with a broken body. I've seen him healthy, and he is absolutely an elite center in the league.

If you want to really understand just how bad Giroux is (his health), get the footage from last night's Flyers game vs the Islanders. Go to period 3 and somewhere between 6:45 and 5:50, you will see how bad the situation is. The play spotlighted him, literally every eye watching the game was fixated on Giroux, the entire ice was his....it was a breakaway gift that you get once in 10 years, he couldn't even move.

If anyone has that footage, please link it.

He was absolutely elite, though. /salute

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Im just hoping for him that he can recover nicely. I remember Simon Gagne having sports hernia stuff and just never looked the same after.

Edit: I know Giroux's issue is hips, but hips, back, core, lower body...you can be 'healthy' but not 'elite pro athlete' healthy and once your core goes as a hockey player bad things follow.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I've seen a number of threads in this area slamming Giroux -- "oh he is not elite, no way", bad stuff about him. I'm guessing these are people who are angry because they had him on their Fantasy Hockey team (and he didn't produce expected points).

Giroux is playing with a broken body. I've seen him healthy, and he is absolutely an elite center in the league.

If you want to really understand just how bad Giroux is (his health), get the footage from last night's Flyers game vs the Islanders. Go to period 3 and somewhere between 6:45 and 5:50, you will see how bad the situation is. The play spotlighted him, literally every eye watching the game was fixated on Giroux, the entire ice was his....it was a breakaway gift that you get once in 10 years, he couldn't even move.

If anyone has that footage, please link it.

He was absolutely elite, though. /salute

Giroux is still an excellent center.

But his 5v5 numbers both production and possession were trending downwards for several years before this season.

Now, that could certainly be the result of a weakening lineup around him and/or other health issues.... but at his peak, he was never the best 5v5 player. He was a PP god and good 5v5 player with underrated 2-way play.

I hope he gets healthy and gets back to that level, but I think even healthy, his game likely lands somewhere between this season and his best seasons. I don't think we're ever going to see THAT Giroux again, unless the NHL goes back to no-tolerance on interference and obstruction and PPs go through the roof. Then he'll be fighting for an Art Ross again.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't realize he was hurt, but I have been bummed by his downturn. He was always one of my favorite players to watch around the league.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I was not pleased that he was even involved with the hockey world cup before the season began, twas too soon

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm not ready to say Giroux is done yet. He's had a disappointing season for sure but he clearly doesn't look like himself and I'm hoping a long summer to recover will help him return to form. I don't think he's ever going to be a PPG player again but I think he can be a 20 goal 70+ point player for a few more years.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm not ready to say Giroux is done yet. He's had a disappointing season for sure but he clearly doesn't look like himself and I'm hoping a long summer to recover will help him return to form. I don't think he's ever going to be a PPG player again but I think he can be a 20 goal 70+ point player for a few more years.

70+ points is pretty close to a PPG player :sarcasm:

But I know what you're saying though. I'm sure him and even Philly will have a better season next year

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He'll bounce back IMO but, it's hard not to look at his point totals and question it. 3 straight years of declining numbers usually doesn't bode well for a guy who's about to be on the wrong side of 30(next season). Still one of my favorite players.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Ryan Getzlaf had the exact same surgery as Giroux and after that surgery, Getzlaf went on to post the worst season of his career (besides his rookie/2nd year). Gostisbehere also had the same surgery and wasn't himself for 3/4 of the regular season.

Hip surgeries take time. You can heal up from the surgery, but that doesn't mean that a player is 100% good to go. Giroux is going to be fine. No worries there at all.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In some of his previous years he produced at an elite level but not this year, and personally the only thing I have ever considered elite is his diving.

Rubberneck

Jul 28, 2016
I didn't realize Gostisbehere had that surgery as well -- on the same line, too. Why do they keep playing him? I wish I knew. He is the fearless captain of a philly team I guess, and doesn't want to accept the situation. After that scene last night against the Islanders, there must be more talk than normal. If anyone can post that video from last night -- between 6:45 and 5:50 of 3rd period. I heard the announcers try to make a quick excuse for him about being on a long shift, but it was much more problematic than that.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I just watched the play - he was at the end of a very long shift where he'd already gone up and back twice. He looked more tired than injured to me.

Rubberneck

Jul 28, 2016
I just watched the play - he was at the end of a very long shift where he'd already gone up and back twice. He looked more tired than injured to me.

Yes, have you ever seen a dog that is diagnosed with arthritis ? It sits in the same place and barely moves? Then they give it the drug for the arthritis and it is like a totally different animal?

Giroux is fighting to be effective with some major problems going on inside the body....he himself keeps saying he is "tired"...yeah, you need rest so that your body can fix itself, but he is making the situation so much worse.

It looks like tired, he is 29 years old, any player of that caliber given that scenario last night, would find the adrenaline to make that play. For an NHLer, that is like glory. He is breaking his body.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, have you ever seen a dog that is diagnosed with arthritis ? It sits in the same place and barely moves? Then they give it the drug for the arthritis and it is like a totally different animal?

Giroux is fighting to be effective with some major problems going on inside the body....he himself keeps saying he is "tired"...yeah, you need rest so that your body can fix itself, but he is making the situation so much worse.

It looks like tired, he is 29 years old, any player of that caliber given that scenario last night, would find the adrenaline to make that play. For an NHLer, that is like glory. He is breaking his body.

Maybe. Hard to tell from that play. Even the most well conditioned players can look awful at the end of an extended shift.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

He was at the end of a long shift, not sure how the OP didn't't see that.

But Giroux has been dealing with a recovering hip, no doubt. He has games and stretches where he skates like he did before, then follows that with labouring skating.

Hakstol has not helped the centers either at times this year in their usage and "system".

Regardless, the year is almost complete and I just want him healthy to start next year. We certainly didn't need another thread about him though.

Rubberneck

Jul 28, 2016
I did see that; I mentioned it in a subsequent post. He's 29 years old.....regardless of the extended shift, that was the biggest fattest meatball, but he had nothing at all.....no adrenaline reserve nothing. it is because he is pushing himself to play through something that he should not be. you hear him in the interviews? they ask him, he keeps saying he is "tired". this is not normal. yeah, i hope he comes back next season and is healed -- but this isn't helping.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well he's not elite if he's "injured" and he's currently playing "injured" so what's your point?

Rubberneck

Jul 28, 2016
1. lot of chatter about Giroux not being elite, or even the next step down from that here.

2. i've seen a lot of signs that his injury has been causing his drop-off.

3. he is elite

4. i was waiting for something that i could point to specifically (besides his post-game interviews) which would show that he is playing through more pain/physical stress than should be.

5. last night there was something that could be pointed to during a game which would show that there was clearly a problem

6. a couple of people on this thread saw the situation, but nobody has posted the clip (lowlights not as easy to find as highlights)

7. prior to 2016 season, he led the entire NHL in points over a four year period, sourced in the clip i posted above.

Last edited by a moderator:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He is not close to the player that was taking over for Crosby in 2012. Yea, sure. Never thought he had the speed to back D men off. If he is injured, he has another off season to work on his conditioning. But his skating is not good enough.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
1. lot of chatter about Giroux not being elite, or even the next step down from that here.

2. i've seen a lot of signs that his injury has been causing his drop-off.

3. he is elite

4. i was waiting for something that i could point to specifically (besides his post-game interviews) which would show that he is playing through more pain/physical stress than should be.

5. last night there was something that could be pointed to during a game which would show that there was clearly a problem

6. a couple of people on this thread saw the situation, but nobody has posted the clip (lowlights not as easy to find as highlights)

7. prior to 2016 season, he led the entire NHL in points over a four year period, sourced in the clip i posted above.

Who cares. All you are doing is creating a thread where people who don't like on him, will dump on him. He is hurt. Move on. Hope he is back next year healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad