Speculation: As per Matt Sekeres Canucks talking with Wild and Anaheim about Hansen and/or Burrows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Seems like a lot of Canuck fans think Hansen's extra year is a plus. I don't. It would always be a problem to a budget/cap team and when you throw in the ED this year, I think comparable players on expiring contracts would be more valuable to more teams.

Are there teams interested in Hansen? Sure, but, IMO, not as many as if he were on an expiring contract.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Canucks may very well expose Hansen themselves. Not saying I would, but Benning might. With the buyers market looking like it is this year, there is really no excuse to not move him right now. Should be able to get really good value for him.

That is a possibility. They have 3 forwards with NMC. Plus horvat, bear, Sutter, and granlund, and gaunce too along with Hansen who are eligible. Going to have to expose someone.

That said, possible that Eriksson could waive his NMC. Been in Vancouver 1 season so no ties to the city. He got a great contract for himself, one that I doubt Vegas is interested in taking. Plus he hasn't clicked with the twins who have one year left. Plus weather, taxes, media, etc.

So, wouldn't be terrible for him if he left town. But, even if exposed, I doubt Vegas would claim him.

But, that is an issue with this year's tdl. Lazar from Ottawa is in year three as a pro, so he needs to be protected. That drops his trade value down.

The Canuck

Feb 22, 2017
Seems like a lot of Canuck fans think Hansen's extra year is a plus. I don't. It would always be a problem to a budget/cap team and when you throw in the ED this year, I think comparable players on expiring contracts would be more valuable to more teams.

Are there teams interested in Hansen? Sure, but, IMO, not as many as if he were on an expiring contract.

I think at this point in the game the Canucks are more than willing to eat cap if they have to as long as the player is on an expiring contract and the deal makes sense.

Hansen at 2.5 m a year is a bargain for what he brings to the table. Great playoff asset. Something will get done, but it's a question of for what and for how much.

A prospect and pick seem to be coming back based off of today's rumours.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That is a possibility. They have 3 forwards with NMC. Plus horvat, bear, Sutter, and granlund, and gaunce too along with Hansen who are eligible. Going to have to expose someone.

That said, possible that Eriksson could waive his NMC. Been in Vancouver 1 season so no ties to the city. He got a great contract for himself, one that I doubt Vegas is interested in taking. Plus he hasn't clicked with the twins who have one year left. Plus weather, taxes, media, etc.

So, wouldn't be terrible for him if he left town. But, even if exposed, I doubt Vegas would claim him.

But, that is an issue with this year's tdl. Lazar from Ottawa is in year three as a pro, so he needs to be protected. That drops his trade value down.

Yeah Eriksson is going nowhere. No one is going to want one of the worst contracts in the league. Canucks are going to have to pay Vegas to not take a player or lose one of Hansen/Granlund/Baertschi.

It really shouldn't be a tough decision who to expose, but that's just me.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think at this point in the game the Canucks are more than willing to eat cap if they have to as long as the player is on an expiring contract and the deal makes sense.

Hansen at 2.5 m a year is a bargain for what he brings to the table. Great playoff asset. Something will get done, but it's a question of for what and for how much.

A prospect and pick seem to be coming back based off of today's rumours.

And that's why a lot of teams would like him as a rental. But some of those teams just aren't in a position to have to deal with another year and how it affects their ED approach or next year plans.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
And that's why a lot of teams would like him as a rental. But some of those teams just aren't in a position to have to deal with another year and how it affects their ED approach or next year plans.

That makes no sense. If they don't want to deal with changing their protection list just expose him in the ed and go as if he was a rental. If he doesn't get claimed now you have Hansen in your lineup for next year. It's not hard to fit 2.5M into your team for next season if you can do it already now

If not we'll gladly take him back for a 5th in the offseason

MeatAndPotatoes

Jul 7, 2016

It's another thing that has to be worked out before the trade, but I don't think that bargain of a contract for one more year is more of a hindrance than it is an asset. Hell, perhaps you could even work something out with the Canucks and Hansen to trade him back after the playoff run. For the Canucks exposing Granlund would be well worth another year of Hansen. Of course, Hansen may just prefer a permanent move.

The Canuck

Feb 22, 2017

Sure we'll see what happens. I think teams who deal for him are willing to find him a way to keep him. He's also in the midst of his prime.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I doubt anything happens tonight, but with Sharp now possibly being too hurt being dealt, this adds to Hansen's value IMO.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
That makes no sense. If they don't want to deal with changing their protection list just expose him in the ed and go as if he was a rental. If he doesn't get claimed now you have Hansen in your lineup for next year. It's not hard to fit 2.5M into your team for next season if you can do it already now

And if the team doesn't want him in their line-up, they can trade him for another asset.

The argument that the extra year on Hansen's contract diminishes his value simply makes no sense.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Teams can sometimes squeeze guys in at the TDL because they scrimped and saved during the season to that point. That's not the same as having to carry him next year at a 2.5 hit if he really isn't the direction you want to be going. It's not about his value as much as it is about some teams' being up to the cap already and having other guys to sign. Some teams could have the room for a run this year but not have the room next year. It's just that simple.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Canucks may very well expose Hansen themselves. Not saying I would, but Benning might. With the buyers market looking like it is this year, there is really no excuse to not move him right now. Should be able to get really good value for him.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I would expose Granlund over Hansen in a heartbeat.

In response to the bolded, I agree the buyers market is good this year. Like I said before though, its the extra year on his contract that is probably hurting his value. The teams that would be buyers for Hansen would not want to be forced to protect him at the expansion draft. As long as he continues to play the way he is, there's nothing wrong with waiting until next season to hopefully get a better offer.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
And if the team doesn't want him in their line-up, they can trade him for another asset.

The argument that the extra year on Hansen's contract diminishes his value simply makes no sense.

Think it is more that the extra year, given the ED doesn't increase his value as opposed to lowering it. So, the Canucks fans likely won't get the perceived premium of that extra year at good value.

Comes down to ED protection. Can Benning get Eriksson to waive it given that he's not likely to get selected. If you won't get claimed ,what is the big deal about waiving.

It's different for guys like enstrom who have one year left, so Vegas could see them as a good rental selloff at the 2018 TDL, so will claim him over other assets from the jets as an example. Plus guys like enstrom, bieksa, etc. Don't want to risk getting claimed and having to move their family for one year and move again at the tdl.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010

Then treat him as a rental and expose him.

If he doesn't get taken and you can't fit him... trade him in the offseason.

Not that complicated.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Yeah if you don't want him next season you just expose him. If he doesn't get claimed you either pay Hansen 2.5M for the year or try and trade him after the Expansion Draft. Canucks would be happy to take him back for future considerations ;)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Think it is more that the extra year, given the ED doesn't increase his value as opposed to lowering it. So, the Canucks fans likely won't get the perceived premium of that extra year at good value.

Comes down to ED protection. Can Benning get Eriksson to waive it given that he's not likely to get selected. If you won't get claimed ,what is the big deal about waiving.

It's different for guys like enstrom who have one year left, so Vegas could see them as a good rental selloff at the 2018 TDL, so will claim him over other assets from the jets as an example. Plus guys like enstrom, bieksa, etc. Don't want to risk getting claimed and having to move their family for one year and move again at the tdl.

Thanks for a post that makes sense.

I'd say the extra year does in fact raise his value, but not as much as it would have, for the reasons you explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad