Speculation: As of today

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If Tampa is too bad it defers to the following year. So any pick in the top 10 just delays the year we give it.

For ex Tampa is terrible next year but decent in the following season, they keep their 23 first and we get their 24 first rounder and 25 first rounder

If they are bad both seasons we get their 25 first and 26 first rounders no protections

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
If Tampa is too bad it defers to the following year. So any pick in the top 10 just delays the year we give it.

For ex Tampa is terrible next year but decent in the following season, they keep their 23 first and we get their 24 first rounder and 25 first rounder

If they are bad both seasons we get their 25 first and 26 first rounders no protections
The later the better given that hopefully their window slams shut and those are high picks.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The later the better given that hopefully their window slams shut and those are high picks.
For that to be worth anything we’d need Tampa to be bad 4 years which is a pipe dream.

We will probably get a 23 pick from them in the mid to late 20s and if the wheels fall off in 2024 we’d have to hope they don’t gave a one off bad year like how their 2017 season is sandwiched between 2 ECF losses

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
For that to be worth anything we’d need Tampa to be bad 4 years which is a pipe dream.

We will probably get a 23 pick from them in the mid to late 20s and if the wheels fall off in 2024 we’d have to hope they don’t gave a one off bad year like how their 2017 season is sandwiched between 2 ECF losses
One thing we've seen with the Wings and the Hawks, and many other teams, is once the run starts to crumble, it generally crashes down pretty hard. At a certain point the guys get old, and the picks and prospects who were traded to keep runs going, will catch up to you eventually.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
One thing we've seen with the Wings and the Hawks, and many other teams, is once the run starts to crumble, it generally crashes down pretty hard. At a certain point the guys get old, and the picks and prospects who were traded to keep runs going, will catch up to you eventually.
Very true Tampa is not a young team and those guys have a lot of miles on them. I don’t expect a total collapse for a while but look at the division and conference a few untimely injuries could have them missing the playoffs.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think their demise is overstated. Guys that were money for them like Killorn have really fallen off a cliff but they still have other players who will get better like Colton.

They also didn't have Point for the finals.

Point Cirelli Kucherov Stamkos Palat Hedman Sergachev Vasi

This is still a better core than most of the NHL at this point.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Tampa finished with 110 points and that was with only having Kucherov for half the year. I think they'll be fine without McDonagh next year. Though I did say at the time of the Hagel trade that the 2024 pick could be quite interesting. They currently have just 10 players signed for 2023-24 and already 59M committed to those players. In the off-season of 2023, they need to give new contracts to (or replace) Cirelli, Killorn and Colton up front and Sergachev, Cernak and Foote on D.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Point Cirelli Kucherov Stamkos Palat Hedman Sergachev Vasi

This is still a better core than most of the NHL at this point.
Depends on Point's recovery, wheels are of utmost importance to his game.

If one calls Cirelli a core piece, then Hagel is every bit the same piece.

Hedman IMO was exposed in Finals. He is not a threat if a fast forechecker forces him outside the left dot. His only play is up the boards because he no longer has the mobility/ability to pivot and reverse the other w/o out being beat to the spot. Pushes it up the wall to an awaiting opps F2. I think his game will continue to diminish significantly going forward. This will ramp up pressure/workload on Vasi as well.

There is no discernable reason why Palat is so effective in playoffs, therefore there is no discernable reason to think it continues. Huge outperformance.

TB will not be a bad team next year but I do believe their run is over at this point.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Palat is always better in the POs. He is a good player for them and I don't think his PO success will come to an end.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Tampa won’t suck next year.

But they’re playing with fire trading away so many 1st over the last few years.

At some point your core gets old and the pipeline dries up. (As we know)

Hopefully they hit a wall in 24 (unlikely, but we’ll see)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad