As of right now how do you think the regular season will go?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I really don't see any GM waiving a player they just got in a trade before he even plays one real game for us. Especially after talking him up as an asset

The correct move is to let Sbisa play for a while and see if he can improve his game.
GM's who make knee jerk reactions on the basis of one pre-season game don't deserve their job. Benning knew that Sbisa would take some work when he acquired him. He'll wait to see if he can improve his game before getting rid of him. As any competent GM would.

arsmaster*

The correct move is to let Sbisa play for a while and see if he can improve his game.
GM's who make knee jerk reactions on the basis of one pre-season game don't deserve their job. Benning knew that Sbisa would take some work when he acquired him. He'll wait to see if he can improve his game before getting rid of him. As any competent GM would.

Yes, Benning thinks Sbisa can be a top 4 defensman in 3 years. I sincerely hope we don't have to watch him here for 3 years to prove otherwise.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, Benning thinks Sbisa can be a top 4 defensman in 3 years. I sincerely hope we don't have to watch him here for 3 years to prove otherwise.

Never take what GM's say too literally.
Benning knows Sbisa is a project. What Benning (like Gillis and Burke) says to the public is a totally different matter. If Sbisa can't improve he's gone after this year. And while others have pointed out the odds of him being a top 4 at this point is very long, there are lots of examples of players who beat the odds to get where they are. Again, I think we need to see Sbisa play in the bottom pairing for a while with a regualr partner before we write him off. If he shows no improvement then he'll be gone. Benning's marching orders are to win games and he'll do whatever he feels gives him the best chance to do that. So far he's shown that he's not shy about moving players.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
1)Anaheim
2)Chicago
3)St. Louis
4)LA
5)Colorado
6)Minnesota
7)Dallas
8)San Jose

9)Nashville
10)Arizona
11)Winnipeg
12)Edmonton
13)Vancouver
14)Calgary

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Behind Winnipeg and Edmonton? No way. Both have deficits that exceed what the Canucks face.
We win by default by virtual of the fact Kevin Lowe & Co. are there (and spare me the MacT is the GM of the Oilers not Lowe - MacT was the dude that offered MORE money to David Clarkson than the Leafs :laugh:).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If he is playing well, then what does it matter what he was traded for? He is allowed to out preform his perceived value, and he has stared to... If Schroeder ever played this well posters would be crying for him to be in the 2C role to start the season...

I also feel the same way about some of the offensive plays Weber makes, If he was a Canuck draft pick, people would love his offence

I'm sure the majority of the fanbase would be happy to get behind him but there's still the downer for some that we sold low on Garrison when we have no defensive depth and bought high on Vey when we could have had a decent C/RW for free with Santorelli. Also if you take a more cautious approach no one's likely going to be that familiar with Vey as he developed in another teams systems, and you always have to temper expectations in pre season.

Other than that it is nice having a number of offensively gifted kids in the lineup and am interested in seeing what Vey can do.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Chicago - 113 PTS
St. Louis - 110 PTS
Minnesota - 104 PTS
Dallas - 99 PTS
------------
Colorado - 93 PTS
Nashville - 85 PTS
Winnipeg - 76 PTS

Anaheim - 113 PTS
LA - 106 PTS
San Jose - 98 PTS
Vancouver - 96 PTS
-------------
Arizona - 92 PTS
Edmonton - 80 PTS
Calgary - 70 PTS

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
1)Anaheim
2)Chicago
3)St. Louis
4)LA
5)Colorado
6)Minnesota
7)Dallas
8)San Jose

9)Nashville
10)Arizona
11)Winnipeg
12)Edmonton
13)Vancouver
14)Calgary

I don't think that Edmonton makes the jump over the Canucks and your top 8 are pretty much spot on.

the teams I see challenging for the top 8 are
-Nashville (that defense and Rinne back for a whole year plus some offensive improvements)
-Arizona (once again a great back end and system just need a slight bump in offense to get over the edge)
- Winnipeg (as they played at a playoff level after the coaching change and have young talent still riding up on the escalator.)

While I think the Canucks should finish ahead of Edmonton I wouldn't be surprised if any of the bottom 3 teams finish in any order really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad