As a flyers fan, should fighting be removed from hockey?

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I like fighting in hockey, and I don't want enforcers to be fazed out because they are kind of like the ultimate underdog at this point in the NHL. I recognize however that enforcers often don't have much of a role to play in the NHL anymore unless they are willing to take an instigator penalty. I have no problem with staged fights.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
My answer would be no. I don't mind "Goons" being fazed out which is slowly happening right now though. By goons I mean guys with no such secondary skills just fighting skills & this is coming from a big fan of the old days but things are changing & you have to adapt to how the league is trending. I don't mind having guys who are mostly known for fighting but can still contribute in other areas like a 4th liner would.

As for staged fights, how do you really govern that? The WHL has rule place to prevent it, it's basically no fights off face-offs & that's kind of stupid & pointless to me. A fight is a fight who cares how it starts.

How about enforcing a rule similar to instigating a fight where it escalates to a suspension by the 3rd or 5th fight. This would eliminate the staged fights and fights after clean hits but guys would still be able to stand up for team mates.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I went to my first Flyers game (and first hockey game) during the team's first season. I had season tickets during the Cup years. But at this point, with what we've seen happening with concussions, with the lawsuits, I think it has to (and eventually will) go. Fighting Dave Schultz's days was a lot different than it is today and I think whatever purpose it served in the past is gone.

Edit: didn't notice all the choices when I voted, I would probably go with the last one, giving misconducts for fighting.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
why the new flyers fans of today dont like the enforcer ?

The dedicated enforcer is a detriment. What you really need is a guy who can play solid hockey, at least as a real 4th liner, and can also throw down. The Flyers don't employ guys like that. Instead they employ people with minimal hockey skill who are average fighters...or downright bad, actually.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
:yo:
The dedicated enforcer is a detriment. What you really need is a guy who can play solid hockey, at least as a real 4th liner, and can also throw down. The Flyers don't employ guys like that. Instead they employ people with minimal hockey skill who are average fighters...or downright bad, actually.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Players overwhelmingly don't want to rid of it. They know what they're talking about. It serves a clear purpose.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
why the new flyers fans of today dont like the enforcer ?

Times are changing, you're welcome to join us in 2013. I've said it multiple times, if we had guy like Jared Boll opposed to Jay Rosehill not many would complain.

It has nothing with being new neither. I grew up on Lindros, Brashear, Fedoruk, etc. (Even though Lindros was a superstar, he could throw em).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Absolutely not. It serves a purpose on the ice and it is entertaining for the fans. Not to mention the players themselves don't want to remove it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Times are changing, you're welcome to join us in 2013. I've said it multiple times, if we had guy like Jared Boll opposed to Jay Rosehill not many would complain.

It has nothing with being new neither. I grew up on Lindros, Brashear, Fedoruk, etc. (Even though Lindros was a superstar, he could throw em).

Yeh, there is a place for guys like Boll, Brashear, Tootoo and Laraque in the league... they can/could actually play hockey and not be a detriment to the team while bringing toughness. They are/were great 4th liners, and show when given a chance to be more involved offensively (3rd line) that they could put up points.

Straight up goons who can't play in the NHL without being a detriment to the team... no thanks.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013

do you like a 4line with boll-hall-rinaldo?

i like the old time hockey in 1988 they have brown and berube and 1978 wilson and holmgren and 2004 fedoruk and brashear this years talbot and rinaldo :facepalm:

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
I'd get rid of the instigator rule, make fighting a 10 minute penalty, and limit it to 10 majors a season per player, who upon the 11th fight would receive a 10 game suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad