As a flyers fan, should fighting be removed from hockey?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
The flyers organization basically was built on fighting and gooning it up in the 70's and that reputation has stuck ever since, the current debate across the league is if fighting has a place in the game anymore or if we should just drop it.

Im interested to see what flyers fans thoughts are since we are associated with it so much.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My answer would be no. I don't mind "Goons" being fazed out which is slowly happening right now though. By goons I mean guys with no such secondary skills just fighting skills & this is coming from a big fan of the old days but things are changing & you have to adapt to how the league is trending. I don't mind having guys who are mostly known for fighting but can still contribute in other areas like a 4th liner would.

As for staged fights, how do you really govern that? The WHL has rule place to prevent it, it's basically no fights off face-offs & that's kind of stupid & pointless to me. A fight is a fight who cares how it starts.

Last edited:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
08350a3a3ef06b639d209e00a32ee2b2.gif

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
No. I enjoy hockey fights and believe they still have a place in the game. You get rid of it, and all of a sudden you'll start to see players with this phony tough attitude knowing that they can take liberties with your star players and not have to pay a price for it. Yeah, maybe they'll get a suspension but with as inconsistent as Shanny is, you can't count on him to serve justice.

One thing I will say though. If fighting was banished, it would stop the Flyers from having useless players like Cote, Shelly, and Rosehill on the roster making room for more skilled or energy players.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think fighting belongs in hockey. I hope it stays. But I do like the fact that there's less and less goons in the league

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No, it's a part of the game and if you ask any player they'll tell you it has a place and purpose

That's really all that matters to me, I support fighting in hockey but if the vast majority of players ever decided against it I would support it seeing as they are the ones who are taking on the risk. That's the thing the anti-fighting crowd doesn't seem to understand. It's mostly the ones who never been in the position before who are the ones that scream the loudest too, which always makes me laugh.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Many years ago I was a minor league player, fighting is a part of the game. The tensions on the ice get pretty bad at times, so rather than seeing a cheap stick foul, or an illegal check ( which usually is the reason behind the fights), I think it's better to just let the players square off and have a legal fight.

One night I was high sticked in the forehead after my helmet was knocked off, it took 16 staples to put my head back together. The punk who did it was one of the big anti-fight players at the time.
Next time my team played his team, I skated up to him, dropped my stick and gloves and told him, put your stick down and fight me you *****. He hid behind the linesman, I was charged a 5 minute major for fighting ( which I hadn't laid a hand on him), plus I received a game misconduct.

It's punks like that who are against fighting, but they're always the ones who'll hack at you with their sticks.

Fighting belongs in hockey!!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I went with the elimination of staged fights option, and would add that fighting majors be cumulative: first fight in a game gets you 5, second fight of the same game and you're out for the rest of the game. After a set number of fights in a span of a few game, a 1-game suspension.

I'm good with getting rid of the instigator, too.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
98% of the time I couldn't care less if fighting was in the game or not.

When someone takes a run at someone like Giroux or Voracek, though, that other 2% kicks in strongly.

Edit: picked the poll option I did because I don't like staged fights.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I personally like fighting, and it adds to the experience of a hockey game for me. So hell no!

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Hell no. I just hate the one dimensional enforcers. The old schooler enforcers could actually play and contribute points. Now days guys are sideshows on ice.

RJ8812*

I think fighting belongs in the NHL, but I've seen some lower leagues where the fighting in there is a complete joke. There's that league in Quebec where there are teams that are basically made up of "players" that have little to no hockey skill whatsoever, but just go out on the ice and fight. That to me, is a travesty to the game. It's those kinds of "players" that give hockey such a bad name

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
no to staged fights, and a roster slot for a ape, who brings nothing but leather knuckles..

fighting is something that is core to Hockey, but i could do without the staged nonsence.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't necessarily say they should get rid of staged fights, but we don't need the guy who sits on the end of the bench and plays 6 minutes a night

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think fighting belongs in the NHL, but I've seen some lower leagues where the fighting in there is a complete joke. There's that league in Quebec where there are teams that are basically made up of "players" that have little to no hockey skill whatsoever, but just go out on the ice and fight. That to me, is a travesty to the game. It's those kinds of "players" that give hockey such a bad name

That's the league that Brashear beat a guy with his helmet in. He did something stupid in it last year too I just can't remember.

Last edited:

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
fight is a part of the game. 1987,1978,2004 is the best seasons
but 1987 was the best tocchet,brown berube,hextall,mellanby alot of fight that years they deserve to win the cup

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I wouldn't necessarily say they should get rid of staged fights, but we don't need the guy who sits on the end of the bench and plays 6 minutes a night
Yeah, the role of enforcer should be gone and replaced with guys like Rinaldo, who can hit, fight, and still play some hockey.

LuigiStone*

Fighting is awesome. Flyers are awesome. Flyers fight and are awesome.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
Feel like fights need to happen to keep players honest. Best kind of fights are the ones between regular guys that happen for a reason. Getting rid of enforcer types would eliminate the Orr vs Parros type fights and also open up roster spots for guys who can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad