News Article: Arvidsson signs 7 Year/29.75 million deal

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Had to come out of my recent semi-retirement to say HOLY **** POILE YOU ARE A MADMAN AND IT'S AMAZING.

Hope all is well with you guy.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I guess Arvy and his agent gave up maybe 500k-1m for longer term.
Either way it's a solid deal.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I love that he'll be a Pred for a long time, but I don't love or hate the contract. It could end up as a steal or a bit of an overpayment... or one, then the other. It'll likely depend on how long he can stay in the top 6. If he settles as a 20/20 player, other options (through the ranks, trade or free agency) could eventually be better for the top 6 and he'd be a prime candidate to drop to the 3rd line, because of his hustle and being a spark plug, and that could hurt the contract's value. I'm mainly concerned about the last few years, when he's 29-31, is likely not as fast or tenacious and has been worn down from years of being undersized in this league. The contract may not look so good then. That's likely the cost of it, hopefully, looking very good for the next few years, when he's in his prime, though. At the very least, you know that Viktor will always be a solid team player and contribute even when he's not putting up points (unlike guys like Wilson and Smith), which does a lot to relieve concern.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
If he falls off a cliff over the next 3-4 years, it wouldn't be the end of the world to buy the rest of the deal out. It's risky, but it doesn't cripple us.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
This would have been a very good deal before his breakout.

How in the hell does Poile do these things?

There's a group of players that seem to know they've got a good gig, a nice city, a good group of teammates and don't feel like they need to make max bank when they consider their contract. The city, team situation, organization, and the type of guys Poile has drafted/traded for sometimes makes a perfect confluence that allows for what people consider are sweetheart deals. I don't know I explained that very well, but it's combination of factors, some the result of Poile some not, that allows the Preds to get some of these deals. Did I make any sense of that?

PredatorBerlin

Jul 7, 2017
Berlin, Germany
Good Job Poile! Great deal - I believe he can and will be a constant +20g scorer and much more important is the spirit and commitment he Shows - guess i have to buy his Jersey in october :D

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Even though Arvy is my favorite current Pred, I think it's a good not great deal.

He's a great fit. I still think his size hurts in a deep playoff run as he can disappear against certain teams.

Really the only signing that matters is Johansen.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I hope he doesn't go down the same path Smith has. I still have hope Smith will regain some of his form but this contract is a gamble for sure. Thing is I personally think the gamble comes in to play when you talk about Arvy's health. Him getting injured is my main concern with the way he plays.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Thing is I personally think the gamble comes in to play when you talk about Arvy's health. Him getting injured is my main concern with the way he plays.

There were a lot of instances last season where I was thinking "No way Arvy is getting up after that crash". He must be made of rubber because I don't remember him missing many shifts.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
There were a lot of instances last season where I was thinking "No way Arvy is getting up after that crash". He must be made of rubber because I don't remember him missing many shifts.

I agree with you there. He is a guy that will play through things for sure. Just how long until he isn't as lucky. I hope it's in his 12-13th year in the league when that luck runs out.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Remember when Duncan Keith absolutely destroyed Arvidsson in game 4 and then threw in an additional cheapshot while he was down? He hopped right up and was smiling on the bench, he might be made of adamantium or something.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Amazing deal; well done sir

I would say more of a nice deal for both sides. Both sides have equal reward and equal risk.

Arvy is my favorite Pred along with Watson. But I think he gets less effective the longer the playoffs go. Gaudreau had as many goals in about a third of the games played. And I felt he disappeared a good deal against Ducks and Pens.

But with them surely re-signing Johansen he should be fine.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I would say more of a nice deal for both sides. Both sides have equal reward and equal risk.

Arvy is my favorite Pred along with Watson. But I think he gets less effective the longer the playoffs go. Gaudreau had as many goals in about a third of the games played. And I felt he disappeared a good deal against Ducks and Pens.

But with them surely re-signing Johansen he should be fine.

And Arvidsson had over 1,000,000 times more assists than Gaudreau :naughty:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
He probably just paid his dues this postseason, he'll bring it next time we're there.

He had ups and downs, and he definitely wasn't good in the Finals, but he still tied for the team lead in assists for a Stanley Cup runner up. Let's not act like he was awful overall or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad