Player Discussion Artturi Lehkonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It's early but he's set to produce quite a bit... playing with Domi and Suzuki, and they'll often get matchups that aren't the hardest in any given game. Better him crashing the net than Domi or Suzuki, he should be there for rebounds/tap-ins and he's a decent passer in the O zone.

40 points this year - if Suzuki's endurance survives the NHL pace. :naughty:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He too falls in the nothing-burger category.
Lehkonen taking a pee and being totally fine with it:
giphy.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He too falls in the nothing-burger category.
Lehkonen taking a pee and being totally fine with it:
giphy.gif

Yeah I'm starting to move into the camp that he just really doesn't have that much offensive skill. My hunch is he's an elite 4th liner that can fill in in the top 9, but should really be on the 4th line and killing penalties.

Weal has more offensive potential than Armia and Lehkonen, yet doesn't get nearly the opportunities they get.

He's just not that good with the puck, although he is decent. He's great on the forecheck though and can create off of turnovers. He also has a good shot, although it's been a long time that he hasn't had a scoring touch. At this point it doesn't look like he's snake bitten. It's just who he is.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah I'm starting to move into the camp that he just really doesn't have that much offensive skill. My hunch is he's an elite 4th liner that can fill in in the top 9, but should really be on the 4th line and killing penalties.

Weal has more offensive potential than Armia and Lehkonen, yet doesn't get nearly the opportunities they get.

He's just not that good with the puck, although he is decent. He's great on the forecheck though and can create off of turnovers. He also has a good shot, although it's been a long time that he hasn't had a scoring touch. At this point, it doesn't look like he's snake bitten. It's just who he is.[/QUOT
And I have no problem with Lehkonen but Jesus H Christ, how many guys do we have like him already? How many of these types of guys do we need? Depth is fine but you don't need to concentrate so heavily on it until you have established a good top 6, we have 7 or 8 of these guys filling roster spots and it is a bit tiring to watch and I think that you would agree.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And I have no problem with Lehkonen but Jesus H Christ, how many guys do we have like him already? How many of these types of guys do we need? Depth is fine but you don't need to concentrate so heavily on it until you have established a good top 6, we have 7 or 8 of these guys filling roster spots and it is a bit tiring to watch and I think that you would agree.

Yeah I count 4: Armia, Lehkonen, Byron and Weal in the top 12 (assuming Poehling replaces Thompson soon). I think Danault has gotten to another level. Byron is mainly there since we already have a lot of small forwards, so it's hard to fit him in the top 9 and for his line to still be able to cycle. It's time to trade him for a 2nd.

Ideally we have only 3 of these types of players and they all play on the 4th line. Maybe Lehkonen-Evans-Armia.

Hopefully Weal eclipses Byron - becomes a 20 goal scorer that can also create offense.

And the big problem with the roster is we need a 60 point player in Drouin's spot, but Drouin is regressing to the point that getting 40 points may be a challenge for him. Gotta hope Poehling, Weal, and Suzuki are ready to contribute offensively this year, and Caufield and Ylonen will be ready soon.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah I count 4: Armia, Lehkonen, Byron and Weal in the top 12 (assuming Poehling replaces Thompson soon). I think Danault has gotten to another level. Byron is mainly there since we already have a lot of small forwards, so it's hard to fit him in the top 9 and for his line to still be able to cycle. It's time to trade him for a 2nd.

Ideally we have only 3 of these types of players and they all play on the 4th line. Maybe Lehkonen-Evans-Armia.

Hopefully Weal eclipses Byron - becomes a 20 goal scorer that can also create offense.

And the big problem with the roster is we need a 60 point player in Drouin's spot, but Drouin is regressing to the point that getting 40 points may be a challenge for him. Gotta hope Poehling, Weal, and Suzuki are ready to contribute offensively this year, and Caufield and Ylonen will be ready soon.
There is nothing wrong with any of these types of players if you have a strong number one and two centers and good wingers but we don't, just a bunch of guys that we are hopeful about. Take any of these guys and place them in a supporting role on a top 10 team and you have a good roster. Bergevin is trying to win hockey games with these guys playing prominent roles and you know as I do that it can't work on a consistent basis. We really need at least two great forwards, 80-90 point guys and then we can fill in the holes with depth guys, then we have something.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It's just first game lines. It's a good thing to try. I don't mind him on the second at all. He should take more defensive responsibilities than the other two. In any case, from what I've seen Domi and Suzuki together should create some offense. It'll be up to Lehkonen to follow, not for him to create offense by himself.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There is nothing wrong with any of these types of players if you have a strong number one and two centers and good wingers but we don't, just a bunch of guys that we are hopeful about. Take any of these guys and place them in a supporting role on a top 10 team and you have a good roster. Bergevin is trying to win hockey games with these guys playing prominent roles and you know as I do that it can't work on a consistent basis. We really need at least two great forwards, 80-90 point guys and then we can fill in the holes with depth guys, then we have something.

I think the plan going forward is to hope Domi, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Poehling, and Suzuki are strong enough offensively to constitute a good core. Drouin was supposed to be in that conversation, but he's taken himself out. You hope he can get back in. But it's not looking good. On the back end, it's Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Struble, Norlinder, Harris, Faibrother. Plus Ylonen, Primeau, and some dark horses

MB said it in a recent interview. You can't win with all kids. That's why he's keeping Weber and Price around - so they can be a foundation on which the youth develop.

The focus is on the future, with good veterans here for the youth to grow next to. Winning now with a deep team of 2-way players would be a bonus. But it's not an expectation.

What would you do? Trade Price, Weber, Petry, Byron, Tatar, and perhaps Gallagher and Danault and try to load up on lottery picks and blue chip prospects I'm guessing?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Everyone is saying he's there for his defense, but Byron is just as good defensively and and actually good enough offensively to compliment skilled players.

Reactions: angusyoung

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Everyone is saying he's there for his defense, but Byron is just as good defensively and and actually good enough offensively to compliment skilled players.

He's great in his role and produces quite well thanks to his speed and skill. He's obviously found money and an excellent waiver pickup. That being said, I doubt he makes the top 6 of any playoff team in this league.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't know what Weal is yet, he's 3 years older then Leks but has never played a full season in the NHL and his career high in games is 69 and pts is 21. Leks worst season is 21 pts. But if they found another Byron, who broke out at 27, the same age Weal is then that would be great. But I would be surprised just due to him being on 3 NHL teams in one year. He played 47 games last year before the Habs and then in 16 games with us he had 1 less point. So did a light bulb just go off or was it more of a streak, we'll see how this year goes.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
He's great in his role and produces quite well thanks to his speed and skill. He's obviously found money and an excellent waiver pickup. That being said, I doubt he makes the top 6 of any playoff team in this league.

Does Lehkonen make the top 6 of any playoff team in this league?

Does one player's place in the lineup determine if a team makes the playoffs, or do you think there might be other factors?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Byron is not close to as effective as Lehkonen defensively. No slight to Byron though, he's a smart player too and has speed to burn unlike Lehkonen.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Does Lehkonen make the top 6 of any playoff team in this league?

Does one player's place in the lineup determine if a team makes the playoffs, or do you think there might be other factors?

I don't think that's a fair comparison when Lekhonen has made the NHL at a much younger age and has shown some great things in regards to his speed/pk prowess and has improved offensively year over year (2017-2018 --> 2018-2019). In regards to Byron that quote was a specific reply to demonstrate that while Byron is a solid pickup and has over-delivered on production, it's not wrong to say that if he's in your top 6 you probably aren't a strong offensive team.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Guys, it's just the line-up for game one of the season.

Lots of changes will occur over the next 81 games.

Hell, Lehky might be on the 3rd or 4th line by the third period in Carolina.

The only reason they put Lehky on the Domi line is because Domi is gung-ho and Suzuki is a rookie. Lehky will provide defensive depth on that line in hopes it doesnt finish the night at -3 or something.

We all know Danault's line will be stable this year and stay together.

The 2nd to 4th line will be a game of musical chairs.

Reactions: Vachon23
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I disagree. Byron defensive abilities are slightly overrated. He's prone to brain camp from time to time also. He is good on the PK because of his speed, though. But as a whole, Lehkonen is much better defensively than Byron.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think the plan going forward is to hope Domi, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Poehling, and Suzuki are strong enough offensively to constitute a good core. Drouin was supposed to be in that conversation, but he's taken himself out. You hope he can get back in. But it's not looking good. On the back end, it's Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Struble, Norlinder, Harris, Faibrother. Plus Ylonen, Primeau, and some dark horses

MB said it in a recent interview. You can't win with all kids. That's why he's keeping Weber and Price around - so they can be a foundation on which the youth develop.

The focus is on the future, with good veterans here for the youth to grow next to. Winning now with a deep team of 2-way players would be a bonus. But it's not an expectation.

What would you do? Trade Price, Weber, Petry, Byron, Tatar, and perhaps Gallagher and Danault and try to load up on lottery picks and blue chip prospects I'm guessing?

There is no point in glorifying our prospect pool if you are going to give them limited ice time because an old school coach is trying to make the playoffs on the backs of the next Paul Byron, there is no point in doing that. We are nowhere near good enough to win anything as we currently stand and yes, I would trade what we can and play the kids, what do we have to lose? We have spent 25 years banging our heads against the wall with the same old tired formula, enough is enough.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's a 10-15 goal scorer. He plays like his pants are on fire which is good in a way of energy but his hockey IQ is low.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He's a 10-15 goal scorer. He plays like his pants are on fire which is good in a way of energy but his hockey IQ is low.

Good IQ,no finish. Solid all around game and much faster than Marner with the puck while Marner chasing him down,comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad