Player Discussion Artturi Lehkonen Part 2

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anderson is a bottom six player on the very good teams in this league. This is where WE need to make our improvements. Moving guys out of the top six who obviously don't belong. WE have a slew of them. You don't move the parts that are working you move the ones that aren't. The only time you do is if the move will fill a greater need higher up the food chain.

I think we're fine in the bottom six without lehk. Anyways I'm repeating myself over and over, and not interested in comparing lehk and Andrrson.

I'm interested in improving the top 6 and think the bottom six is just fine without both Lehk and Anderson.

Reactions: Gravity

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we're fine in the bottom six without lehk. Anyways I'm repeating myself over and over, and not interested in comparing lehk and Andrrson.

I'm interested in improving the top 6 and think the bottom six is just fine without both Lehk and Anderson.
Because your argument isn't valid IMO. If the bottom six is fine it's because of Lehkonen. There is absolutely no certainty that any return or any of our current bottom 6 or any of our prospects can fill his role. We will know more next year so until then there is absolutely no use in moving him simply because we have a ton of warm bodies.

Reactions: Runner77 and Natey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because your argument isn't valid IMO. If the bottom six is fine it's because of Lehkonen. There is absolutely no certainty that any return or any of our current bottom 6 or any of our prospects can fill his role. We will know more next year so until then there is absolutely no use in moving him simply because we have a ton of warm bodies.

This discussion, which regrettably feels more like a debate, isn't at all interesting to me. But have a great night!

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I think its not that we don't see Lehkonen's value, you need players like him in the bottom 6 if you are a contender. However, players like Lehkonen are also easier to find than top 6 forwards or top 4 D, and as an example we can refer to the Byrons and the Pitlicks that were waiver claims. IF trading Lekhonen gives us an extra dart at getting a top 6 forward or a top 4 D, its a no brainer, you take it and wish Lehkonen a wonderful career elsewhere.

Reactions: Sagikev and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think its not that we don't see Lehkonen's value, you need players like him in the bottom 6 if you are a contender. However, players like Lehkonen are also easier to find than top 6 forwards or top 4 D, and as an example we can refer to the Byrons and the Pitlicks that were waiver claims. IF trading Lekhonen gives us an extra dart at getting a top 6 forward or a top 4 D, its a no brainer, you take it and wish Lehkonen a wonderful career elsewhere.
I don't disagree but I'd much prefer waiting the full year for a number of reasons including the cementing of our off ice personnel. Particularly scouting and player development. I can't say for sure that we know exactly what we have on hand with Artturi Lehkonen seeing we look to be taking a completely different approach to game strategy. How much was his over all game affected by the box we put him in?

Reactions: Runner77 and Doc5

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I don't disagree but I'd much prefer waiting the full year for a number of reasons including the cementing of our off ice personnel. Particularly scouting and player development. I can't say for sure that we know exactly what we have on hand with Artturi Lehkonen seeing we look to be taking a completely different approach to game strategy. How much was his over all game affected by the box we put him in?
Agreed, depends on if we want to take the risk of betting on Lehkonen continuing this new level of play or regressing back to his mean. Right now, his value is at an all time high, if he continues this play into next year, he'd be worth even more. However, if he regresses, we'd regret not pulling the trigger this year.

It's a tough decision. I am glad that I am not the one that has to make it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lehkonen is playing the best hockey of his career, although I was also impressed with his playoffs in 2017, and 2021.

If you don't want to let him go, that's good. It means there should be good value for him out there.

I know it's easy to look at an underachieving player, and poop all over him for being bad, but at the same time, you can't expect much for those kinds of guys either.

If you want some good assets coming back, it usually comes with the pain of letting a quality player go.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed, depends on if we want to take the risk of betting on Lehkonen continuing this new level of play or regressing back to his mean. Right now, his value is at an all time high, if he continues this play into next year, he'd be worth even more. However, if he regresses, we'd regret not pulling the trigger this year.

It's a tough decision. I am glad that I am not the one that has to make it.
I don't see him regressing at all. His numbers are low for the events he generates to begin with. I'm betting the combination of MSL plus a skills coach for our NHL level players can only improve his bottom line. I've already noticed an improvement in his confidence level and his play around the net. Particularly how he is not getting as tied up as he once did and he's also falling less with better body control. Maybe some of that Corey Perry stuff did rub off on him after all. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77 and Doc5

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Day Dubé said Lekh is + 2 while the whole team is minus 78, the worst of all nhl teams. That means he's the only Habs player with a plus on the team. It must mean he's good, it means he work a lot and is constant in his efforts. He's worth more than a late 1rst round choice in my opinion.
If the offer isn't enough, he's a keeper. Any coach would like him, he's better than average 3rd liner. I agree he goes in a trade because we are rebuilding but I wish the return to be high.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
His argument is perfectly valid.

Let's call a turd a turd. Moving forward Gallagher is a bottom 6 player and he is untradeable without retaining. I know lot of people are still waiting for Cindedvorak to blossom into a 2nd line center but it would be bad management to expect him to be one KH has to assume he'll remain a solid 3rd line center. We are stuck with Armia unless we retain or accept a bad contrat. Rem Pitlick is a perfectly fine bottom 6 player. So moving forward that's already 4 bottom 6 player. We need to keep some space for kids like Poehling and Ylonen in our bottom 6. Lehkonen is expendable 100% if a good offer is made.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His argument is perfectly valid.

Let's call a turd a turd. Moving forward Gallagher is a bottom 6 player and he is untradeable without retaining. I know lot of people are still waiting for Cindedvorak to blossom into a 2nd line center but it would be bad management to expect him to be one KH has to assume he'll remain a solid 3rd line center. We are stuck with Armia unless we retain or accept a bad contrat. Rem Pitlick is a perfectly fine bottom 6 player. So moving forward that's already 4 bottom 6 player. We need to keep some space for kids like Poehling and Ylonen in our bottom 6. Lehkonen is expendable 100% if a good offer is made.
The turd isn't Lehk. Armia can and should be moved to a team like Arizona. That in itself will allow us to keep the much better player. Blow me away with an offer and I'm good but the argument to move Lehk because we have a truckload of ne'er do wells doesn't resonate.

Reactions: Adriatic

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The turd isn't Lehk. Armia can and should be moved to a team like Arizona. That in itself will allow us to keep the much better player. Blow me away with an offer and I'm good but the argument to move Lehk because we have a truckload of ne'er do wells doesn't resonate.
For sure. He's still only 26 years old and can be a usefull player for a long time. No sense in getting rid of him unless like you said it's some kind of over payment.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

No the turds in my post are Gallagher and Dvorak (and Armia). If you see them as 2nd line players moving forward yeah you keep Lehkonen. But personally i think moving forward they are both bottom 6 players unless Dvorak somehow late bloom.

Reactions: Rapala

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

The problem isn't that we have have Lehkonen and a ton of bottom sixers that are as good as him. Lehkonen is better than Armia and Gallagher.

The problem is that those guys are signed to fat contracts and we live in a cap world. We need cap space to sign top 6 players. We already have 10M locked up in two of our bottom 6 wingers and they aren't movable. Can't have 14M locked up in 3. If we don't trade lehk, I really hope he gets a 1 year deal. Because his cap hit will be 3.5M to 4M and he has to prove he can live up to it - and maybe over that time period before his next deal we can move Armia.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
My pincipal argument with Lehkonen is you can't go on with having Dvorak, Byron, Armia and Lehkonen (and probably Gallagher) on your bottom 6 with an average salary of 4M$ each. It doesn't make any sense. 1 or 2 have to go. And you trade those who got actual good value. Lehkonen is one and probably Dvorak is the other. Lehkonen is replaceable from the inside. Dvroak is another case but Pitlick's is doing a good job and if we get McBain, who is nhl ready, we might be able to part with Dvorak this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad