Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think there could be a fit for him, but if there isn't with the Sabres, I wonder what his trade value is right now, being an RFA? He'd be an inexpensive addition to a capped out team looking for some secondary second-third line scoring. Maybe have him be a part of a package to get a player signed to a higher cap hit along with a good pick or prospect?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think there could be a fit for him, but if there isn't with the Sabres, I wonder what his trade value is right now, being an RFA? He'd be an inexpensive addition to a capped out team looking for some secondary second-third line scoring. Maybe have him be a part of a package to get a player signed to a higher cap hit along with a good pick or prospect?

Eh, he's a scoring line prospect without draft pedigree. Consider someone like Vatrano just went for a 4th from one contender to another and he's an established player. I don't see the value there to make it move much of a needle in a deal.

Reactions: Jim Bob

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
5'9" player without being a high draft pick or previous NHL production? I'd say his trade value would be very low.

This isn't me agreeing that his height should come into account, but it undoubtedly would.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

he has little trade value on his own.

you coukd have a situation with him having to clear waivers he coukd be traded fir say a RD who is at the end of his ELC. He also could be used in some deal acquiring a high salary in roster fir roster trade.

you go through every team they have similar players who shows some potential in AHL but hasn’t don’t it the nhl yet

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I love the dude, and and I love his name, but he’s Seth Griffith reincarnate. Not fast enough to overcome his size. Size isn’t everything, but it certainly matters. For every Conor Garland, there are 20 Seth Griffiths.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Clearly, R2 has tons of value at the AHL level. I'm not sure the Sabres see a fit in Buffalo. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed to a two way contract, but R2 may not be interested.
It's been rumored he will play in Europe next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Clearly, R2 has tons of value at the AHL level. I'm not sure the Sabres see a fit in Buffalo. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed to a two way contract, but R2 may not be interested.
It's been rumored he will play in Europe next year.

And he immediately said that report was not true and that his objective is the NHL and being a part of the Sabres.

Reactions: Dingo44

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
The only issue with Ruotsalainen and 1 way deal (which should be a no brainer) is that he shouldn't get what Asplund got (2 year 825k) because he hasn't earned an NHL roster spot.

2 years 750k per would be ideal. 1 year 750k is likely.

Worst case is he doesn't make the NHL roster in which case he is a borderline roster player, career 13th/14th and it would be sad if he doesn't clear waivers but not the end of the world.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Brian Duff:

"I've been told the door is not 100% closed on Arttu Ruotsalainen".

This is the first time he has mentioned, "I've been told", but he has said several times since R2 signed in Europe that he thinks it is unlikely, but still possible that he is signed by the Sabres.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Riley Sheahan stated that someone (R2?) returned to Europe which opened the door for his contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if there is any thought to bringing him back after his NLA season ends to help the Amerks? If he were to sign, is he eligible for the AHL playoffs? @dotcommunism can I pick your brain on that?

He now has 11 goals/9 assists in his last 15 club games with Kloten having just scored against Lugano.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I wonder if there is any thought to bringing him back after his NLA season ends to help the Amerks? If he were to sign, is he eligible for the AHL playoffs? @dotcommunism can I pick your brain on that?

He now has 11 goals/9 assists in his last 15 club games with Kloten having just scored against Lugano.
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers if he signs an NHL contract midseason after playing in Europe, or you thinking he would sign an AHL only deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers if he signs an NHL contract midseason after playing in Europe, or you thinking he would sign an AHL only deal.

Yeah, there is the waiver issue but I think that's at the NHL level. He is a defected player (10.2.b) but I'm missing where the rules are on how to put that player onto the AHL team. I think AHL-level signings also have to go through waivers too at the league level, but I wonder at the hiring of a mercenary and if the waiver claiming team has to put them on their NHL roster or if they are then free to assign the guy to their minor league team. It's floating around my memory but I'm reading over Section 10 and my eyes are starting to bulge.

Section 13.23 has this -

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.

Which would cover signing him to an SPC. But I don't have the assignment arcana down pat.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Kloten's season will end following the NHL trade deadline, so if he were to sign an NHL deal at that point, he would be ineligible to be assigned to the AHL under any circumstances (only players on minor league assignment as of the deadline can be sent down post-deadline). As he is on the Sabres' reserve list, he would not need to clear waivers upon being signed, however. But he would only be able to play in the NHL.

As far as signing an AHL deal, things are more ambiguous as the rules are not entirely publicly available, to my knowledge. If he were to sign an AHL deal, I don't think he would have to go through AHL waivers, since he is on the Sabres' reserve list, but I am not completely certain of that. Furthermore, being on the Sabres' reserve list may make him eligible to play in the AHL playoffs even if he were to sign an AHL deal after the AHL trade deadline.

All that said, I don't really see why he would want to come back over just to play in the AHL playoffs. I'd assume he would probably be more interested in playing in the World Championship, especially with Finland co-hosting.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kloten's season will end following the NHL trade deadline, so if he were to sign an NHL deal at that point, he would be ineligible to be assigned to the AHL under any circumstances (only players on minor league assignment as of the deadline can be sent down post-deadline). As he is on the Sabres' reserve list, he would not need to clear waivers upon being signed, however. But he would only be able to play in the NHL.

As far as signing an AHL deal, things are more ambiguous as the rules are not entirely publicly available, to my knowledge. If he were to sign an AHL deal, I don't think he would have to go through AHL waivers, since he is on the Sabres' reserve list, but I am not completely certain of that. Furthermore, being on the Sabres' reserve list may make him eligible to play in the AHL playoffs even if he were to sign an AHL deal after the AHL trade deadline.

All that said, I don't really see why he would want to come back over just to play in the AHL playoffs. I'd assume he would probably be more interested in playing in the World Championship, especially with Finland co-hosting.

Thanks. Appreciate the info - I have never found the whole of the AHL-NHL agreements anywhere so it's good to know it's not just me.

There is a new rumor that he'd go to HV71 for next year too. Just riffing on ways to try to improve the Amerks since they miss having a guy like him around.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1677328466504.jpeg

One of my favorite hockey photos ever.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
7 players farewell

At its end-of-season party, EHC Kloten said goodbye to seven players whose contracts are expiring, with a big thank you for the time together and valuable services: Alexey Dostoinov, Flurin Randegger, Jesper Peltonen, Martin Ness, Arttu Ruotsalainen, Niki Altorfer and Eric Faille. The club wishes everyone good luck in their new place or in their new phase of life.

There was an earlier rumor he might be going to Lugano, also in the Swiss league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00