TBN: Arttu Ruotsalainen steps into prominent role during Amerks' season-opening loss

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Arttu Ruotsalainen steps into prominent role during Amerks' season-opening loss

Amerks Coach Seth Appert:
"We liked him a lot. What’s not to like? He scored a goal. He could have had two or three more. ... He (killed penalties), he blocked shots. For a 23-year-old rookie in his American league debut, to play with that kind of composure and competitiveness in all situations, that's what we’ve seen from him every day. Even though he’s young and he is a rookie, that wasn’t a surprising effort for us."

Ruotsalainen on things he's been working on:
"The biggest thing is my game in the D zone and faceoffs. Obviously, I think I was pretty bad today in faceoffs, but everything in the D zone. Battles, win those battles and that kind of stuff. Be ready all the time."

Laaksonen was impressive:
Laaksonen made his long-awaited professional debut in North America, skating alongside Ryan Jones at even strength. Laaksonen, a third-round draft choice in 2017, relieved pressure on the breakout and his skating stride looks exceptional. He didn’t seem to struggle with the physical nature of the American Hockey League, either. Laaksonen tossed Utica forward Vincent Arseneau to the ice during a scuffle behind the net in the second period.
Laaksonen has gained approximately 16 pounds since June 2019 – he told the media this week that he’s now up to 187 pounds – and that seems to have translated to added strength.

Arseneau is 28 years old, 6'2, 231lb. Laaksonen is also 6'2". He's only 21.

Seth Appert on Mattias Samuelsson: “He is miserable to play against.”

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The young guys** were fun to watch last night. Hoping Quinn plays with R2 once he’s out of quarantine.

** Fitzgerald, Samuelsson, Bryson, R2, Laaksonen, Pekar

The game was a bit weird with how short handed the Amerks were.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Hope R2 picks up where he left off in Liiga.

He looks like a solid all-around forward that you could plug anywhere in the lineup

Reactions: joshjull

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Arttu Ruotsalainen steps into prominent role during Amerks' season-opening loss

Amerks Coach Seth Appert:
"We liked him a lot. What’s not to like? He scored a goal. He could have had two or three more. ... He (killed penalties), he blocked shots. For a 23-year-old rookie in his American league debut, to play with that kind of composure and competitiveness in all situations, that's what we’ve seen from him every day. Even though he’s young and he is a rookie, that wasn’t a surprising effort for us."

Ruotsalainen on things he's been working on:
"The biggest thing is my game in the D zone and faceoffs. Obviously, I think I was pretty bad today in faceoffs, but everything in the D zone. Battles, win those battles and that kind of stuff. Be ready all the time."

Laaksonen was impressive:
Laaksonen made his long-awaited professional debut in North America, skating alongside Ryan Jones at even strength. Laaksonen, a third-round draft choice in 2017, relieved pressure on the breakout and his skating stride looks exceptional. He didn’t seem to struggle with the physical nature of the American Hockey League, either. Laaksonen tossed Utica forward Vincent Arseneau to the ice during a scuffle behind the net in the second period.
Laaksonen has gained approximately 16 pounds since June 2019 – he told the media this week that he’s now up to 187 pounds – and that seems to have translated to added strength.

Arseneau is 28 years old, 6'2, 231lb. Laaksonen is also 6'2". He's only 21.

Seth Appert on Mattias Samuelsson: “He is miserable to play against.”
Ruotsalainen steps into critical role as one of four Amerks forwards dressed for opening night.

Just kidding. Good to see that hard work translating with some skill sprinkled in.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hope R2 picks up where he left off in Liiga.

He looks like a solid all-around forward that you could plug anywhere in the lineup
I’m hoping the plan is to groom him to be an option for #2 center next season. Its only one game but he played in every situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad