Artifact - Valve Created DOTA2 CCG (PC/Mobile) - Releasing 11/28/2018

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well might as well crate a thread for this since this will be Valve's next big game.

artifact_dota_teaser.0.jpg

At this year’s International Dota 2 Championships, developer Valve Software announced a new game coming soon: Artifact.

Artifact is a card game based on Dota 2 involving three boards and a selection of characters from Valve’s flagship game, though other details remain light. The game was announced just before the final match of Day 2 of TI7 by event host Sean “Day9†Plott, who gave a vague description of the game that seemed to indicate it would involve building barracks, creeps, and lanes (after suggesting the announcement was not related to Dota 2). Comparisons to Blizzard’s Hearthstone seem inevitable
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/8/16116786/valve-artifact-dota-2-card-game

Also a good writeup on the potential of it, by leveraging things Valve has in place (Steam, Tourneys, etc)

From the article:
1) Digital card trading and selling
2) Use of GPU
3) Keyboard & Mouse
4) Marketability to take on Hearthstone
5) ESports
6) Twitch Drops

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-valve-could-change-the-card-game-genre-with-artifact/

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
steam market selling and trading will be the x factor with this one

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Cashin' in on the craze.

Can hardly blame them.

The Steam platform gives them a great market to make some serious cash on this sort of endeavour.

It looks like a solid card game, but after many an hour playing Hearthstone I think I'm capped on CCGs for a few years...

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I know,
having paid off my hearthstone collection during many years and buying every expansion I am not so keen on starting another money sink.

I will try and it and maybe this makes it possible for you as a player to make a little extra cash on the side .

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Quite a big bump, but abit more information has come out. The following article is long, but has alot of detail. They really are pushing to combine the MOBA & CCG genres.

'Artifact' Hands-On Preview: Valve's 'Dota 2' Card Game is Amazing

Artifact itself is a very, very deep game and every development decision made on the game was to make it as deep as possible. Like Dota 2, Artifact is a game that cannot be "solved," and it was built from the ground up to ensure all the choices you make in game are interesting. They're planning on incorporating all the best lessons they learned from their activities in esports as well, which means pretty big things when you look at how huge the Dota 2 International is.
During his presentation, Gabe continually reiterated that Artifact is not free to play and not pay to win. Card rarity does not correlate to card power, and many design decisions when building the game were made with the complete intent to steer away from pay to win whenever possible. That being said, you will be able to buy booster packs and all of the cards will be tradable on the Steam Marketplace, so I'm super fascinated to see how that all shakes out.

Looks nothing close to Hearthstone. Seems like the learning curve in this one will be abit high. Might hurt them in the beginning getting casuals to join.

Game will release for PC this year, and mobile next year.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Another Big bump, this time with a Release Date!

More interesting, Artifact is going to launch on November 28th on Mac, PC, and Linux for $19.99 with an iOS and Android release to follow in 2019. 280 cards are shipping with the game, and players will be able to buy and sell those cards on the Steam Community Marketplace, potentially creating a fascinating external economy that all other digital CCG’s are missing.

Valve Announces ‘Artifact’ Will Be Playable at PAX West, Releasing November 28th on PC for $19.99 With Mobile to Follow in 2019

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It costs money????? So you have to buy the game then go around buying decks and cards if you want to be able to compete? HARD PASS

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think they are probably a little late to the card game fad at this point. That doesn't mean there isn't money to be made there but I think it would have had more impact a year or two ago.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Okay, the 280 cards are going to be made up of two pre-made decks of 54 cards, and 10 packs with 12 cards each. Booster packs of 12 will be sold for $2 each at launch. Source: Valve’s first new game in 5 years, Artifact, coming in November, starting at $20

I'm still interested because of Garfield and I find the economy concept interesting... but, I think I'm with SniperHF on this one. It'll have to be pretty good card game for it to make some real impact, IMO.
Edit: I also think the fantasy theme is a poor choice, we have plenty of fantasy CCG/TCGs/etc. already...

Looking forward to the gameplay videos/streams though!:thumbu:

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
steam market selling and trading will be the x factor with this one
Definitely, unless they make some good cards really rare, it won't feel like nearly as much of a money sink as Hearthstone. I'm starting to get sick of how expensive Hearthstone is and the lack of balancing in it really only pushing the same 3 decks everywhere you play. Hopefully they balance this one better.

I'll definitely give it a shot, I love the idea of card games like this but there's not really much other than Hearthstone. I'm just getting sick of Hearthstone, as I feel a lot of people are.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
These sure do seem to be a silent craze (Battle Royale being the loud one). Which is odd considering Hearthstone has been out for a good long while.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Definitely, unless they make some good cards really rare, it won't feel like nearly as much of a money sink as Hearthstone. I'm starting to get sick of how expensive Hearthstone is and the lack of balancing in it really only pushing the same 3 decks everywhere you play. Hopefully they balance this one better.

I'll definitely give it a shot, I love the idea of card games like this but there's not really much other than Hearthstone. I'm just getting sick of Hearthstone, as I feel a lot of people are.
Lol I tried Hearthstone again a few months ago and I did the math on how much money or grind time it would take to get competitive in that game and quickly uninstalled.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
With Magic Arena and Hearthstone already kicking around, especially with Magic the Gathering's base, I can't see this being more than niche.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So this was released last Wednesday. Coming out to lukewarm reviews. Biggest takeaway? Pay to play and then pay to win. Seems like you pretty much have to spend money monthly to even really play.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So this was released last Wednesday. Coming out to lukewarm reviews. Biggest takeaway? Pay to play and then pay to win. Seems like you pretty much have to spend money monthly to even really play.

Ah, the ol' double dip.

Oh Valve, what happened to you? :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad