Article: Who Will Make the Rangers Roster?

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
https://www.nysportsday.com/2016/10/05/treff-who-will-make-the-rangers-roster/

I wrote the story yesterday morning, after the Phillie game. As so often happens, it had to be edited before published because of waivers, then a release and then another game. I edit three times and forget to take out a line--and instead removed a line that I wanted in about Grabner and Hrivik, neither of whom I think will make the team. Ugh! But it does not really change the article. And I hope it stirs more discussion.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'd like to see Hrivik make it but my problem with him is that he is always on the cusp, but never does that little extra to be good enough to stick in the NHL decidedly over other players. He's not bad but he can never set himself apart from the other 4th line potentials, Glass aside which we all know is a special case. Grabner should absolutely be considered for the 4th line over Glass. Jooris will not win out over Glass because AV has an easy justification for keeping Glass since Jooris was not able to play. To be perfectly honest none of the 4th line candidates have blown me away this preseason unless you consider Pirri to be one. I don't think Gerbe has been so much better that he decidedly should make this team over anyone. Grabner and Gerbe at least both bring speed and tenacity, and the ability to play the PK. Glass brings nothing but being AV's boy toy and super cool biffler adorded by all including color commentating legend Joe "Tremendous Individual" Micheletti.

I hope they keep Jooris, Grabner, Pirri and one of Hrivik/Gerbe.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Pirri has to stay. Its not just about his goals. He's making some good decisions all of over the ice leading to chances. That being said, hes got a lethal shot and can put the puck in the net and this team needs that.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Grabner not making the team would probably be the silliest thing ever. I think he's a lock.

Rangers won't want to lose him to waivers. He'd be part of a trade, if anything.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hrivik stinks enough already with this guy waive him why is this even a question?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Pirri has to stay. Its not just about his goals. He's making some good decisions all of over the ice leading to chances. That being said, hes got a lethal shot and can put the puck in the net and this team needs that.

Yes, it`s the coach staff job to teach him how to be more responsible defensive this year, and Pirri have unique qualities offensive for sure which will help the team.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Grabner not making the team would probably be the silliest thing ever. I think he's a lock.

Rangers won't want to lose him to waivers. He'd be part of a trade, if anything.

Grabner's decisions with and without the puck have been questionable in the games that I have seen. It is a shame, as he would be incredible with his speed and his previous offensive abilities.

I believe that the team is holding off on some cuts is because they are trying to make a trade. We will see when the waiver wire comes out today.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It was an interesting content and article, @Leslie, thanks for the update.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So my guess would be:

G--Lundqvist, Raanta

D--McDonagh, Klein, Girardi, Staal, Holden, Clendening, McIlrath.

F--Zuccarello, Stepan, Nash, Zibanejad, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Vesey, Buchnevich, Fast, Pirri, Grabner, Gerbe with Lindberg, Jooris with the team as injured players. When both are back--someone will have to go back down or be moved.

Skjei, Graves--the first D call ups. Jensen the first forward callup unless AV decides he needs more physical play and then we'll see Glass again.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner's going to cost the Rangers a good chunk of cap space languishing in Hartford. The Rangers signed him for two years--his main function is to get our penalty kill back up to speed. I just don't see him not making the team. 4th line guy for sure but he's got a clear role.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think there is less then a 1% chance that Grabner is waived honestly. I also think there is a 90% chance that Glass is waived by the time Lindberg comes off IR.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Have to think if Grabner were going to be displaced it would have to have been Hrivik to do it... which might in fact have been justified by training camp play thus far. At this juncture am just hoping that the decision is between Grabner and Glass, because Gerbe has shown everything one could have asked of him and you really do have to give Pirri a shot at least to open the season based on performance to date and the lack of similar weapons on this roster.

I agree completely with Leslie's take on Buchnevich. If all things were equal, I'd have him start the season in Hartford... but can they, will they ask him to do that? Leslie doesn't pretend to know and I don't either...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO Buchnevich has been pretty decent in the games he played--better than he was at Traverse. He seems a bit snakebit. 3 preseason games--1 assist and +3 with 9 shots on goal isn't that bad. The only guys ahead of him in shots on goal are Pirri and Zibanejad. I think he's been good enough to make the team out of training camp.

Hrivik has not impressed me at all. On the wing he's better than at center IMO. 4 games and he's got one shot on goal in 57 minutes of ice time over 4 games. To me he was a guy we should have sent down to Hartford.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Not surprised that Hrivik and Jensen were sent down--don't think either of them played well enough to be grabbed off waivers (but we'll know that in about 9 hours).

Grabner? He hasn't really been noticable, but will probably get the veteran pass well into the season. Holden also seems to be a keeper in the coaching staff's eyes (and he can play both sides).

Good article!

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Neither Hrivik or Jensen showed enough to bump down established NHLers in Gerbe or Grabner. Simple as that. I would say that they both seem ready for NHL play on bubble teams so they might be gone today on waivers or be used in later deals, maybe as secondary pieces? We will see soon enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad