Article on Smith's Return

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Guess Who's Back...Back Again...Brendan's Back...Tell a Friend...

Sometimes I wonder if the beat writers around here walk over to their desk, open up the Rolodex of Sunshine(TM), and think, "OK, so how do I spin this lousy content into yet another bright, sunshiny day?"

But on a funnier note, I can't wait to hear what it's like, seeing Brendan Smith, "play a safe and sound game" or, "lean on him (Kronwall) a little bit..." to, "...help myself get back in the game."

Go get 'em, Slugger! :teach:

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I'm looking forward to seeing Smith back in the lineup. I like the physical element he brings, his willingness to drop the gloves etc. He hasn't had that many defensive lapses this year that I can recall. I would rather see him playing over Marchenko. Marchenko doesn't seem to do anything well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guess Who's Back...Back Again...Brendan's Back...Tell a Friend...

Sometimes I wonder if the beat writers around here walk over to their desk, open up the Rolodex of Sunshine(TM), and think, "OK, so how do I spin this lousy content into yet another bright, sunshiny day?"

But on a funnier note, I can't wait to hear what it's like, seeing Brendan Smith, "play a safe and sound game" or, "lean on him (Kronwall) a little bit..." to, "...help myself get back in the game."

Go get 'em, Slugger! :teach:

It's obvious that Smith is nothing but a trade bait at this point and our beat writers try to put him to look a shiny as possible.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's obvious that Smith is nothing but a trade bait at this point and our beat writers try to put him to look a shiny as possible.
Which is the sort of thing that bothers me about the writers in this town. It's their job to report what IS, not spin or glamorize things to what could be more favorable to the team.

I know that nobody is going to do a hatchet job on a franchise they're traveling with, but there's a wide swath of objectivity in between that and the Polyanna routine they tend to dish out.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I'm sure the pro scouts around the league take into account the beat writers bias when making a decision on who to trade for.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

On that note, what would you think the asking price for Smith would be at the deadline if Detroit is a seller?

He would be one of the better options to provide depth for the Penguins, I think. Not really one I'd have over any of the starting 6 right now, but someone who should be solid when the need arises and someone who could also be an option to sign in the Summer when we might lose a D-man to Vegas or not re-sign Daley.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
On that note, what would you think the asking price for Smith would be at the deadline if Detroit is a seller?

He would be one of the better options to provide depth for the Penguins, I think. Not really one I'd have over any of the starting 6 right now, but someone who should be solid when the need arises and someone who could also be an option to sign in the Summer when we might lose a D-man to Vegas or not re-sign Daley.

You think wrong. :laugh: Seriously steer clear of Smith. Don't be fooled by the name he shares with his brother Reilly. In 5 years with the Red Wings Smith is the exact same absentminded, brain-dead, immature player he's been since day 1. A major disappointment who was a perpetual healthy scratch under Babcock and Blashill. 1 out of 10 Detroit fans still support him because he will drop the gloves but the endless and annoying debates over his place on the Wings are finally over.

The Penguins are Stanley Cup Champions. No need to go dredging for useless scum that could literally ruin a team's destiny within a split-second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad