Article: Lappin Shines in Game Against Philadelphia

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
They had sick talent in 2000 and 2001, I would expect every number to be good from those years. 2003 they certainly weren't a great offense by any stretch....their leading point guy had about 60 and they were middle of the pack in scoring.

I agree that you can't employ a strategy of simply trying to fudge up shot totals with low percentage shots. But it's pretty clear that good teams dominate the shot counter.

Guys like Lappin and Clarkson (in his prime) do take some low percentage shots, but they also have a very positive impact on possession. They're good along the boards and that ends up also creating shots for teammates.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree that you can't employ a strategy of simply trying to fudge up shot totals with low percentage shots. But it's pretty clear that good teams dominate the shot counter.

Guys like Lappin and Clarkson (in his prime) do take some low percentage shots, but they also have a very positive impact on possession. They're good along the boards and that ends up also creating shots for teammates.

And a guy with a real good shot will score more often, even on low % shots. And create more rebounds.

A quick release plays favorably into that equation as well.

Now how good is Lappin's shot? I don't really know, but I'd say at least a little above average.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

This is a good, fair analysis.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I will say that taking a low % shot and that having a positive impact on possession is a bit of a misnomer.

You are giving up possession when you shoot the puck.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I will say that taking a low % shot and that having a positive impact on possession is a bit of a misnomer.

You are giving up possession when you shoot the puck.

That's a central reason why Corsi and other shot-based metrics are imperfect.

Wasn't the NHL supposed to start releasing zone time, as well as advanced passing stats, soon?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Wasn't the NHL supposed to start releasing zone time, as well as advanced passing stats, soon?

I don't even know if it indicates a flaw in the stat, just a flaw in the terminology.

Does the NHL monitor this stuff via computer chip? Heard NFL has a chip in the shoulder pads of players, I would think it would be even more helpful with hockey given how often players change lines, and how often the puck changes possession.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

Would be news to me. I'd LOVE passing stats.

I don't think that producing positive "possession proxies" is integral to success as much as it is a byproduct of other actions that lead to success. Passing stats seem like they begin to cut into that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And a guy with a real good shot will score more often, even on low % shots. And create more rebounds.

A quick release plays favorably into that equation as well.

Now how good is Lappin's shot? I don't really know, but I'd say at least a little above average.

He ripped one off the crossbar on his first shift of the Flyers game.

It seems like it is good, but not great. He does do a very good job at getting the puck on net though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Back in the day (like early 00's and late 90's) the NHL used to track zone time for each team in their game logs on their website.

It would track how many minutes minutes each team played in the offensive zone, defensive zone and neutral zone in each period.

I found it to be especially useful to counter the "The Devils are a trapping team, not a puck possession one" argument. Since the Devils would spend more time in the offensive zone than they would anywhere else. Sometime around 01 or 02, they omitted this feature from their game logs. I'm not sure why. If I wasn't on my phone right now, I would try and dig up some old and archived game logs from way back then. I'm pretty sure games going back to 99-00 are still archived but they're harder to navigate since the NHL redid their website earlier this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Lappin might be destined for Albany, either way. I'm getting the vibe that I got when Blandisi impressed during pre season and was sent back with about a week left in camp anyway.

But Lappin is 3 or 4 years older than Blandisi was last year, so they may take that into account and I think there's a better chance he gets left up than the chances for Blandisi last year, just based on his age being taken into consideration.

I also feel Auvitu has a bit of an edge because of his advanced age. Kalinin was 24 last year and made the team out of camp, so maybe Lappin will make it. It would seem maybe they would want Lappin for more of a skill role than what they wanted from Kalinin, but Kalinin was playing in the top 6 for a bit last season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This was a joke, right?

In the guy's defense it's not like Lappin has to beat out Palmieri for a top six spot and Palmieri might not be on the first line anyway if we're considering the Hall-Henrique line the first line. It's more a competiton with DSP/Bennett though I really still see both getting the first crack at the top six.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure I'd like to keep Lappin up, if he's just gonna play on the 4th line.

It all depends on who he is playing with though. If Gazdic or someone like that is playing frequently, will Lappin really be a factor while playing with him? I'd rather he play in the top 9.

If we can finally move into the direction of having a 4th line that doesn't need mandatory sandpaper or grit, whatever the ****, then I'd be cool with him being on the 4th line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure I'd like to keep Lappin up, if he's just gonna play on the 4th line.

It all depends on who he is playing with though. If Gazdic or someone like that is playing frequently, will Lappin really be a factor while playing with him? I'd rather he play in the top 9.

If we can finally move into the direction of having a 4th line that doesn't need mandatory sandpaper or grit, whatever the ****, then I'd be cool with him being on the 4th line.

I'd keep him up even if he is just the 4th line RW. Why?

1)He's 24, his game looks ready, what is the AHL going to do for him.

2)Kalinin, Fid's, Lappin is a pretty good looking 4th line.

3)Even if he is listed as a 4th liner, in game he can be shuffled further up the lineup. Or say after 5 games or so, you give him 3rd(or higher) line duties. He doesn't need to start every game on the 4th.

4)From what I'm seeing, he's our 2nd best RW. Is that a crazy statement? Not when you consider the competition.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd keep him up even if he is just the 4th line RW. Why?

1)He's 24, his game looks ready, what is the AHL going to do for him.

2)Kalinin, Fid's, Lappin is a pretty good looking 4th line.

3)Even if he is listed as a 4th liner, in game he can be shuffled further up the lineup. Or say after 5 games or so, you give him 3rd(or higher) line duties. He doesn't need to start every game on the 4th.

4)From what I'm seeing, he's our 2nd best RW. Is that a crazy statement? Not when you consider the competition.

If he played with Kalinin and Fiddler, that would be fine with me. As long as it doesn't that Josefson is playing higher than the 4th line.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think Lappin might be destined for Albany, either way. I'm getting the vibe that I got when Blandisi impressed during pre season and was sent back with about a week left in camp anyway.

But Lappin is 3 or 4 years older than Blandisi was last year, so they may take that into account and I think there's a better chance he gets left up than the chances for Blandisi last year, just based on his age being taken into consideration.

I also feel Auvitu has a bit of an edge because of his advanced age. Kalinin was 24 last year and made the team out of camp, so maybe Lappin will make it. It would seem maybe they would want Lappin for more of a skill role than what they wanted from Kalinin, but Kalinin was playing in the top 6 for a bit last season.

I'm not sure about skill role for Lappin, but I think he can be useful playing alongside two skilled players if need be.

I know most hated Kalinin - Zajac - Palmieri, but Kalinin has shown the ability to step up into a top-six role and play well. He's ideally not there, but he can be if you need him to. I expect the same kind of versatility from Lappin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad