Article: Lappin Shines in Game Against Philadelphia

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Nice article; however, I think the next preseason game is Wednesday against the Flyers, then the rangers on Thursday.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I was saying it all summer, Lappin was super impressive for Albany last year. Playoff MVP, easy. He plays a pro style game.

When Lappin was on the ice last night the Devils out-attempted Philadelphia 13-1.

He's gonna make the team.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Thought it was hilarious in the offseason pre-season threads, all the armchair experts that were calling him overrated even though they've never seen him play a single shift.

Dude is the real deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thought it was hilarious in the offseason pre-season threads, all the armchair experts that were calling him overrated even though they've never seen him play a single shift.

Dude is the real deal.

Well I've liked him from the get, and I've never seen him play either. But his stats, maybe most notably his shot totals have been impressive.

And from what I can glean he has a good shot. So when a guy has a good shot, and is able to get it off a high rate, that's a good combo.

And given his age, my thought has been, if not now, then probably never.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Riding on MacIssacs comment, I think both Lappin and Coleman become full time Devils by the end of the year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Dude is the real deal.

Well I do think he was a bit overhyped based on a handful of AHL games but hey if he keeps rolling in the preseason they'll find a spot for him one way or another.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Side Note:

Last season at Brown Lappin played(on the same line I'm assuming) with a 20 yr old freshman named Tom Marchin. Marchin was Brown's 2nd leading goal scorer and point producer with 14 goals and 27 points in 31, compared to 17 and 33 for the 23 year old Lappin.

As a 19 yr old Marchin had a pretty solid season in the USHL putting up 23 goals(tied for the team lead) and 46 points(3rd on squad) in 56 games. As an 18 yr old, in his draft year he put up very modest #'s, 6 goals 18 points in 52 games.

He's big kid at 6'3" and 200 lb's, so one wonders a bit if he is a late bloomer due maybe in part to growing into his frame. Don't know when he got into hockey but he did play for the USDNT as a 17 yr old(4 games with 0 points).

I dunno, maybe looks like a fairly decent signing somewhere down the line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Lappin has a leg up just by being a RW. We are still very thin there.

I would caution against over exuberance over early pre season success from an older prospect. That said, standing out is better than not standing out :).

But these early scrimmages don't tell you much.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There was no overhype of Lappin. He's just probably an NHL player, that's all. I don't expect him to be that good in the NHL but he'll belong there.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There was no overhype of Lappin. He's just probably an NHL player, that's all. I don't expect him to be that good in the NHL but he'll belong there.
I want to see him as a complimentary player, the puck seems to follow him and for a shot happy RW it could serve him well on a good line. Justin Williams has made a career of the puck following him and being able to play in all situations.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think if he makes it as an NHL'r, that will be in part because he can score goals.

So hard working(seems to be that) 20 goal scoring, maybe 35 point kind of player. I think that's a bit above average.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Lappin has a leg up just by being a RW. We are still very thin there.

I would caution against over exuberance over early pre season success from an older prospect. That said, standing out is better than not standing out :).

But these early scrimmages don't tell you much.
Certainly the road is there for Lappin. Be fairly successful and you will get a chance.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Lappin only started 38.46% of his shifts in the offensive zone last game, but the team generated 73.91% of the shot attempts with him on the ice. At even strength that number jumps to 92.86%! That's actually higher than Zacha's 83.33% (also fantastic, by the way) despite Zacha receiving 16% more offensive zone starts than him at even strength. Lappin outperformed his deployment by close to 40% in all situations.

If he plays anything even remotely like that in the regular season we need him on the big club, possibly even in the top six.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I want to see him as a complimentary player, the puck seems to follow him and for a shot happy RW it could serve him well on a good line. Justin Williams has made a career of the puck following him and being able to play in all situations.

Justin Williams was a first line player in the NHL for 10 years. I just said that no one was overhyping him and you compared him to someone like that.

I like his potential but he's already turning 24 this year - I see him as a good lower lines energy guy who shoots the puck a lot. Anything more than that is gravy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lappin only started 38.46% of his shifts in the offensive zone last game, but the team generated 73.91% of the shot attempts with him on the ice. At even strength that number jumps to 92.86%! That's actually higher than Zacha's 83.33% (also fantastic, by the way) despite Zacha receiving 16% more offensive zone starts than him at even strength. Lappin outperformed his deployment by close to 40% in all situations.

If he plays anything even remotely like that in the regular season we need him on the big club, possibly even in the top six.

Take into account that the lineup the Flyers were icing was pretty non-NHL heavy, from what I saw.

Not to take anything away from Lappin, I just don't expect those numbers to be nearly that high when he's facing NHL teams every night.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The shot total is a perfect example of why the Lappin hype has gone through the roof (and it wouldn't have happened ten years ago before people started looking at shots on goal stats). Yes creating shots is good - and he's done that at every level so far - but as we saw with the Devils over the last few years, that doesn't mean anything unless it actually leads to high-quality chances/goals.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The shot total is a perfect example of why the Lappin hype has gone through the roof (and it wouldn't have happened ten years ago before people started looking at shots on goal stats). Yes creating shots is good but as we saw with the Devils over the last few years, that doesn't mean anything unless it actually leads to high-quality chances/goals.

Some people will find any reason to be pessimistic. Lappin is a play driver, and we were sorely lacking those last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Some people will find any reason to be pessimistic. Lappin is a play driver, and we were sorely lacking those last year.

You call it pessimism, I call it being cautious and pumping the brakes a little. But then again pessimists see themselves as realists :P

Maybe if I didn't have PTSD from seeing two years of Devil teams dominate shots and CORSI numbers only to not score and be constantly told 'the luck will change, it has to' I'd take shot-based stats a little more seriously at face value.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
You call it pessimism, I call it being cautious and pumping the brakes a little. But then again pessimists see themselves as realists :P

Maybe if I didn't have PTSD from seeing two years of Devil teams dominate shots and CORSI numbers only to not score and be constantly told 'the luck will change, it has to' I'd take shot-based stats a little more seriously at face value.

Puck possession isn't a guarantee of success, but it's a very important component of it. There's a reason it's so valuable in predictive models.

I feel like in 2013-14 we didn't generate enough high danger scoring chances, too much board play. But that doesn't mean the strength in puck possession hindered us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad