Newsday: Arthur Staple Islanders Mailbag 1/6/18

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Buying out Snow would surely cost a fraction of buying out a player? If they don't want that all they need to do is just appoint somebody else in his stead and leave him with some other pointless task. After all, it's their franchise.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
New article. Staple suggests waiving Greiss and calling up Gibson. Also says that they felt more comfortable with their young D than Franson and that there isn’t much on the market despite Garth doing his usual feelers. Basically a 6 man group from here on out once Boychuk is healthy.

They’ll basically live or die on the games leading up to the All-Star Break.

Looking ahead to Islanders second half of season

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
New article. Staple suggests waiving Greiss and calling up Gibson. Also says that they felt more comfortable with their young D than Franson and that there isn’t much on the market despite Garth doing his usual feelers. Basically a 6 man group from here on out once Boychuk is healthy.

So they aren't making the playoffs

Reactions: YesCubed

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

What a great article to instill my confidence in this franchise! :help:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
How would Isles fans react if we won the Dahlin lottery? Would it make not making the playoffs worth it?

I'd honestly be speechless...I'd try to scream and jump, but I'd literally be inebriated..

Reactions: IODCPiper

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
How would Isles fans react if we won the Dahlin lottery? Would it make not making the playoffs worth it?

I'd honestly be speechless...I'd try to scream and jump, but I'd literally be inebriated..

We should be focusing on competing for the Stanley Cup. Not fantasizing (again) about lottery picks. My gosh...

Reactions: kk and SI90

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Yes, but we don't have a final piece to fill..we don't have the depth to take that run. I don'w want to be the caps or the rangers that are perennially playoff bound, but never close the deal.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I wouldn’t be mad but I would be disappointed if we didn’t make the playoffs. This is a team that should be focusing on making the playoffs year in and year out. Otherwise what’s the point of having an elite franchise center?

Why can’t we make the playoffs and hopefully win the lottery with the CGY pick? Do both!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I wouldn’t be mad but I would be disappointed if we didn’t make the playoffs. This is a team that should be focusing on making the playoffs year in and year out. Otherwise what’s the point of having an elite franchise center?

Why can’t we make the playoffs and hopefully win the lottery with the CGY pick? Do both!

I see your point and I think the disappointment lies in the fact that our team doesn't make the moves to be better than the rest...we make moves and other teams make better moves. Although, the Rangers signing Shattenkirk to that deal was in no way a better move.

We need to make moves that will make us better (by at least a noticeable margin) than our competitors...THIS is something our GM doesn't do.

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

No. This team should be past that point but we’re not.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Seething anger --> pure elation -> an odd mixture of anger and excitement

Then probably wash, rinse, repeat every offseason for eternity

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016

Much better then barely making playoffs and being knocked out in 1st round

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Much better then barely making playoffs and being knocked out in 1st round

I disagree. Barely making the playoffs still gives you a shot. Anything can happen in playoffs. Even if we barely made it, and were knocked out in the 1st round, I'll take that EVERY TIME over hoping to win the draft lottery. I can't cheer for losing.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I want the playoffs, even though I do not see this team getting past TB or Boston. I think it would increase the chance of Tavares staying and would be a valuable experience for the youngsters on the roster.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Yes, but we don't have a final piece to fill..we don't have the depth to take that run. I don'w want to be the caps or the rangers that are perennially playoff bound, but never close the deal.

But you'll take a perpetual rebuild instead? Perfect or nothing? Sheesh! I'm not putting myself through that f***ing misery.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
But you'll take a perpetual rebuild instead? Perfect or nothing? Sheesh! I'm not putting myself through that ****ing misery.

I was thinking more step by step...we almost did it. 2 years first round...2 years second round..2 years 3rd round and cup...those years are used to perfect the team..not to lose some players, get new players and stay in the same boat.

If we see a another team improve...we have to improve more...I've said this in a previous post...other teams improve by making moves..we just seem to make moves,but stay at the same level. We have to make moves that will make us better than our competitors. If they make a move, we make a better move.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I still see this team the same way as I did after the second half of last season and better. I see this team is banged up right now, otherwise they are a top 8-10 team. They are weaker at D after losing de Haan and now need two defensive forwards with Kulemin gone and Cizekas down. How this organization responds to this adversity will determine where they will sit around trade deadline. It is sink or swim with what they have now or Snow makes a move to backfill his injured players.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
After 11 years our goal is still to be average? Really? Half of the teams in the NHL make the playoffs every year...and that's where the bar is set? That's the measure of success? Snow can't even accomplish that.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

If I realistically thought we had a decent chance of getting him, I wouldn't be devastated but we are not gonna be a bottom 3 team to have the odds realistically in our favor. Plus with Garth Shit Snow, you can never be 100% sure he'd pick him.

I wanna win playoff rounds, consistently and have to worry about winning lotteries in the once a decade, not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad