Artemi Panarin vs Ryan O'Reilly for a playoff run right now?

Panarin vs O'Reilly

• Total voters

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Actually closer than it should be with the massive gap in talent but this is still Panarin despite ROR being a way more clutch playoff guy

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
O’Reilly had a nice bounce back year with 69 points with Nashville but he was also playing with a near 50 goal scorer and his underlying defensive numbers, while solid, aren’t Selke level anymore. Meanwhile Panarin just put up 120 points with great possession numbers and was back to being a force as ES like he was his first couple years in NY.

I know Panarin was really bad in the playoffs last year, but he also just wasn’t himself in the regular season either despite his production. And while he was mediocre the year before, he played well in the past with Columbus. I could see preferring other stars with better playoff records to Panarin like Rantanen, but the gap in ability is too large here. Maybe it’s a thought if it’s 2019 ROR.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
O’Reilly had a nice bounce back year with 69 points with Nashville but he was also playing with a near 50 goal scorer and his underlying defensive numbers, while solid, aren’t Selke level anymore. Meanwhile Panarin just put up 120 points with great possession numbers and was back to being a force as ES like he was his first couple years in NY.

I know Panarin was really bad in the playoffs last year, but he also just wasn’t himself in the regular season either despite his production. And while he was mediocre the year before, he played well in the past with Columbus. I could see preferring other stars with better playoff records to Panarin like Rantanen, but the gap in ability is too large here. Maybe it’s a thought if it’s 2019 ROR.
Forsberg nearly hit 50 goals because O'Reilly is his center. He's been a massive upgrade.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Forsberg nearly hit 50 goals because O'Reilly is his center. He's been a massive upgrade.

Sure, but a bunch of 1Cs would also likely have allowed Forsberg to flourish. He put up similar numbers a couple years ago with Duchene on his other wing and RyJo at center (before he completely fell off). Does ROR score the same as the best offensive player on his line like Panarin is though?

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Fair points but bread needs to bring it until then I'll take ROR as stats aren't everything.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember when Gaborik sucked in the playoffs until he had a pretty good playoff with the Rangers in 2012 and a very good playoff and a cup with the Kings in 2014

Reactions: HolyHagelin

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Playoffs aren't a magic different form of hockey as much as people say more so than just a small sample size.
That's not true, you can watch about 5 minutes and see the difference.

Plus Panarin's poor performance is both clearly visible in the playoffs, and his stats reflect that, as they are the worst of any stretch in his career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
O'Reilly for sure, Panarin is good but a much thin reed to lean on come playoffs. He was hilarious in the Tampa handshake line though with Kucherov some years back.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
O'Reilly for sure, Panarin is good but a much thin reed to lean on come playoffs. He was hilarious in the Tampa handshake line though with Kucherov some years back.

Do people think O’Reilly is the same player he was? Panarin easily

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad