Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Even though they lost last night - Miller and Gauthier made some rookie mistakes, and Kincaid did Kincaid things that cost the game - you can tell that this team believes they can win because Panarin is on the team, even when he's not on the ice. It's a special thing when a player can affect the entire organization in that way. Kind of a mixed blessing that he's so integral to the psyche of this team.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
would have been on pace for about 113 points over 82 games. Just unreal. Why is he so selfish tho can't he donate a few points to Kakko and Lafreniere?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
8CAC4647-F7AF-4757-B65F-60DCE236C600.jpeg

Espn polled front office types on the leagues top 10 wingers. This part stood out to me though. It’s unreal

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Rebuild, no rebuild, whatever, can’t believe there were people against signing this guy.

Enjoy him because I don’t think the Rangers will have another player like this for a while. Maybe Jagr but he was more at the end of his dominance.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He’s scoring more PPG this year than last year.

The only sad part is that Covid is going to rob us of the chance to have him put up a 100+ point season due to lack of games in his prime years here.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rebuild, no rebuild, whatever, can’t believe there were people against signing this guy.

Enjoy him because I don’t think the Rangers will have another player like this for a while. Maybe Jagr but he was more at the end of his dominance.

Panarin this season>>>any Jagr season after his first with the Rangers.

Reactions: mas0764

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Panarin this season>>>any Jagr season after his first with the Rangers.

It’s possible Panarin’s tenure here has already surpassed Jagr’s massive 05-06 season. The two seasons so far probably definitely place him above Jagr. Jagr’s massive 123 point year came in a season when 7 players broke 100 points, including two rookies, and guys like Eric Staal. Cheechoo had 56 goals. 14 players had 90+ points, 26 had 80+ including Vinnie Prospal. Panarin paced for 113 last year. 11 players paced for 90+, about 20 paced for 80+. Jagr’s season is probably a bit better but it’s close. This year he’s pacing for 115 in 82.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s possible Panarin’s tenure here has already surpassed Jagr’s massive 05-06 season. The two seasons so far probably definitely place him above Jagr. Jagr’s massive 123 point year came in a season when 7 players broke 100 points, including two rookies, and guys like Eric Staal. Cheechoo had 56 goals. 14 players had 90+ points, 26 had 80+ including Vinnie Prospal. Panarin paced for 113 last year. 11 played paced for 90+. Jagr’s season is probably a bit better but it’s close. This year he’s pacing for 115 in 82.

I know he wasn't a big PP guy last year either but still with the state of the PP this year and his slower start, I'm shocked his pace is higher than it was last year.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
It’s possible Panarin’s tenure here has already surpassed Jagr’s massive 05-06 season. The two seasons so far probably definitely place him above Jagr. Jagr’s massive 123 point year came in a season when 7 players broke 100 points, including two rookies, and guys like Eric Staal. Cheechoo had 56 goals. 14 players had 90+ points, 26 had 80+ including Vinnie Prospal. Panarin paced for 113 last year. 11 players paced for 90+, about 20 paced for 80+. Jagr’s season is probably a bit better but it’s close. This year he’s pacing for 115 in 82.
Agreed. I think when you look at relative statistics Panarin's stats are better than Jagr's first season here. Not to mention I think Panarin is a better defensive player than Jagr was. You never see Jagr backcheck the way bread does with his hustle to catch up on rushes going the other way.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Watching the game against the Flyers last night, we were discussing Panarin and trying to come up with a player of comparable abilities, not just now but also in the past. An elite playmaker and goal scorer, a finesse player but one who plays hard on the puck, an extremely intelligent player with all-ice vision who can exploit seams, a player who, though not big, has a "hardness" to his game and the way he plays. We could not come up with one. Add in the fact that a player with his skillset usually is a center and not a wing. We went back decades, including for me, back to the last days of the Original Six, and still could not come up with a comparable. Any suggestions?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Agreed. I think when you look at relative statistics Panarin's stats are better than Jagr's first season here. Not to mention I think Panarin is a better defensive player than Jagr was. You never see Jagr backcheck the way bread does with his hustle to catch up on rushes going the other way.
I agree. I'd go so far as saying that Panarin is the most impressive winger the Rangers have had in my life time.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Watching the game against the Flyers last night, we were discussing Panarin and trying to come up with a player of comparable abilities, not just now but also in the past. An elite playmaker and goal scorer, a finesse player but one who plays hard on the puck, an extremely intelligent player with all-ice vision who can exploit seams, a player who, though not big, has a "hardness" to his game and the way he plays. We could not come up with one. Add in the fact that a player with his skillset usually is a center and not a wing. We went back decades, including for me, back to the last days of the Original Six, and still could not come up with a comparable. Any suggestions?

Maybe like Fedorov lite? Admittedly I was pretty young when I got to watch Fedorov and probably have an over-the-top mythos built around his legacy - Just looking at some of Fedorov's highlights, Panarin doesn't work off the rush like Fedorov did. But their stat lines look similar-ish. Fedorov is around .39 GPG/.56 APG, Panarin is at .38 GPG/.68 APG. Panarin's got the goal scoring (not quite the same peak as Fedorov but pretty damn close on average outside of Fedorov's 56 goal season), he's got the playmaking, high IQ and excellent vision+the hands to use that vision. Fedorov was certainly much bigger and could/was more willing/had to play a more physical game so that's probably the biggest area of difference between the two. And Fedorov's skating was on another level.

Last edited:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Fedorov's name did come up in the discussion and the comparison is somewhat valid. But their physical differences were significant and, as you say, their skating. It's almost as if you could join Federov and Gretzky together. I wonder how many points Panarin would have accumulated if he played in the wide-0pen 80s. Probably 150 a year.

Irina

Jan 15, 2019
I have made some "investigation". As a ranger Panarin was pointless two games in a row 5 times. In 6 of these 10 games Kakko was his right winger. Whatching games, I don't feel chemistry between them. And some stats has proved it.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad