Value of: Artem Anisimov to PIT

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
A 2/3 C, like Ansimov, isn't a need for the Pens right now. They need scoring wingers and better defensemen.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We don’t need him. Unless we trade Bjugstad, which I’m not opposed to but a lot of Pens fans like him.

Kessel and Bjugstad for Saad, Anisimov, 2019 2nd?

Salary is about even

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Why would we want Anisimov?

Versatility. Something we lack right now.

A big Russian who can play 3C for us or on Geno's LW would be fantastic. Add in a decent cap hit, average faceoff ability, above-average net front play, and playoff experience ...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We need to get younger and faster IMO. Speed is what won us the cup back to back years and then we completely abandoned the idea...for some reason.

Geno, and Bonino were never flying up and down the ice. Neither was Cullen. So 3 of our 4 C's had average speed.

A big 3C - who has potential to play with Geno as his gritty net front guy - is not going to kill the team whatsoever.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We need to get younger and faster IMO. Speed is what won us the cup back to back years and then we completely abandoned the idea...for some reason.
While I agree, not everyone absolutely needs to possess elite speed.

For example, Bonino was the 3C for back to back cups and I don’t think anyone would say he’s exactly a speedy guy. Anisimov could play a similar role to Bonino.

The acquisitions of JJ and Gud absolutely go against that speed philosophy, as did the trading away of Hagelin.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
wouldn't mind Artie back w NYR in the 2/3C spot,
mentor for Kravstov( .. Rykov, Shesty) and proven chemistry w (if) Panarin

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We need more players on the upswing of their career, not the downswing. Anisimov addresses no real needs and would require a cap dump to even be feasible.

He's only got 2 years left on his deal. Also, he's averaged 73 games and 19 goals per season with the Hawks in his 4 year stint (so far).

Last year was one of his worst...and non-coincidentally not a great year for the Hawks either.

Though, I know there's gotta be cap going back; I'm just not sure how they fit into a hockey trade (outside of Bjugstad)

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He's only got 2 years left on his deal. Also, he's averaged 73 games and 19 goals per season with the Hawks in his 4 year stint (so far).

Last year was one of his worst...and non-coincidentally not a great year for the Hawks either.

Though, I know there's gotta be cap going back; I'm just not sure how they fit into a hockey trade (outside of Bjugstad)

BUT HE PLAYED WITH KANE ALL YEAR LAST YEAR!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anisimov has a lower real salary and could be appealing as a temporary 3C for a team with cap space. They might trade a middling pick for him. That doesn't sound at all like the Pens situation. That $4.5m in cap space has better uses.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Unless the Hawks are bringing in another 3C (Turcotte?), I would rather hang on to Anisimov than trade him for a lackluster return.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
While I agree, not everyone absolutely needs to possess elite speed.

For example, Bonino was the 3C for back to back cups and I don’t think anyone would say he’s exactly a speedy guy. Anisimov could play a similar role to Bonino.

The acquisitions of JJ and Gud absolutely go against that speed philosophy, as did the trading away of Hagelin.

Bingo. My problem with Anisimov is his age. 31 isn't "old" per sey, but we're strapped for cash and his cap hit + lack of being able to play with any legit wingers kills any excitement around acquiring him.

I'd rather we just play Bjugstad or McCann at the 3 slot. We give up nothing for those guys and my money is they'll do just as good, if not better, in the role.

So when I say speed, give me a guy faster than those options otherwise they are our best options ATM.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A 2nd or two 3rds would do it. We'd leave a little hole at 3C for next season, but we're not competing then anyhow, and we need to keep giving some of our youth opportunities to prove themselves for the future.

Reactions: molon labe

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why do the Pens need a 3C? We've already got Bjugstad playing that role, and can slot in McCann if need be. Plus, Blueger might make a push after a bit of seasoning on the 4th line first.

The center position is literally the last position the Pens need more players. The only exception would be a long-term replacement for when Sid/Geno get too old, but obviously that wouldn't be Anisimov.

Reactions: BHD

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A 2nd or two 3rds would do it. We'd leave a little hole at 3C for next season, but we're not competing then anyhow, and we need to keep giving some of our youth opportunities to prove themselves for the future.

Post # 20 before anyone actually responds to the thread. Thanks.

Also, are any roster pieces who might otherwise be worth the 2nd worth it for you? We would likely need to send salary the other way.

Why do the Pens need a 3C? We've already got Bjugstad playing that role, and can slot in McCann if need be. Plus, Blueger might make a push after a bit of seasoning on the 4th line first.

The center position is literally the last position the Pens need more players. The only exception would be a long-term replacement for when Sid/Geno get too old, but obviously that wouldn't be Anisimov.

McCann isn't playing 3C and Blueger is a shot in the dark at this point whether he's anything better than a 4th liner. Give him a shot, sure - but don't wage your season on it... As for Bjugs - he and Anisimov can both play wing. In fact, Bjugs is BETTER at wing than he is centering the third line. Anisimov has been pegged as a C, but can absolutely play LW. His net-front skills would be great on Geno's line where Hornqvist has been less than spectacular. Whichever of the two bodes better as the 3C can stay there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad