Arte Moreno exploring selling the Angels

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Does Arte qualify as one of the worst MLB owners? Just curious what people think.

I know John J Fisher has to be up there . I feel bad for good posters on this board like Clowe and Terry Yake who have to put up with that incompetent cheap skate.

Hmmm. Who else?

I think the worst owners are an equation of "do you have the resources" and "how hard you try?"

Oakland, Tampa, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati... it's really easy to "excuse" their shortcomings for being small market or in a ridiculously antiquated stadium.

The guys who are the worst are the guys with no excuses. Anaheim is WAY up there. Seattle, Texas, the White Sox, Minnesota, Colorado are also worthy of being mentioned.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
While it's good news that Arte is on the way out, I am nervous about who could replace him and where the team will end up. I've been an Angels fan for over 40 years and for the most part, they've been a crap team. The only stretch they were consistently good was 02-09 and Arte was owner for most of those years.

The first 41 years of the franchise, they won 0 playoff series with only 3 postseason appearances. Then in 02 they came out of nowhere to win the World Series. Arte bought the team during the 03 season and then signed Vlad Guerrero for 04 and won the division 5 out of the next 6 years.

The last 13 years has been frustration after frustration with bad signings and injuries but a new owner isn't going to mean instant success. And with an old stadium with a lease that expires soon, there's no guarantee that the team will stay in Orange County. I doubt they'd leave So Cal, but a move to LA isn't out of the question. Maybe the long rumored Long Beach plans will resurface.

Reactions: ru4reals
Sep 19, 2008
Does Arte qualify as one of the worst MLB owners? Just curious what people think.

I know John J Fisher has to be up there . I feel bad for good posters on this board like Clowe and Terry Yake who have to put up with that incompetent cheap skate.

Hmmm. Who else?
John Henry

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Baller does have the money to buy, heck he got an arena deal for the Clippers.

Mainly because hes funding the whole thing.

He could obviously get the cash to buy the Angels and build a new ballpark but thats going cost somewhere around $3bn all in. IIRC most of his net worth is in Microsoft stock.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
batman-im.gif

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
In other words..."It has come to our attention that this looming recession has sliced about 1/3 the value from sports teams"

Ugh...I feel for the fans.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

He's eventually going to have to sell because he's getting old, his kids don't want the team, and his relationship with Anaheim has likely gone to shit and this team is going to need to figure out a new building soon, but I'd be a bit surprised if he pivoted back to this already. Though it would certainly explain why this team hasn't done squat this year when they're typically aggressive early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad