MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1661274810539.png

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Has the cancelled Angels Stadium renovation plan have anything to do with this? or will some form of it be back on.

Though I don't see them leaving the LA area, the next owner could have ties somewhere outside of Anaheim

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Has the cancelled Angels Stadium renovation plan have anything to do with this? or will some form of it be back on.

Though I don't see them leaving the LA area, the next owner could have ties somewhere outside of Anaheim

Of course, but they wouldn't be the only team with such a situation.

I get why hes selling. Not a bad idea to cash out at 75 & which franchise values at an all time high. They also have one of the games current and all time best players on a 10+ year deal in his prime.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
that stadium of theirs is certainly getting long in the tooth. I guess he wants to get out while franchise values are at an all-time high and not have to spend the several hundred likely needed to bring the stadium up to current standards.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Moreno had a plan to buy the stadium off the city and either heavily renovate or outright replace it at the same location while building one of those "ballpark village" developments around it, but the city council cancelled the deal when it came out that the mayor was doing some shady things around the deal and wound up resigning over it (the Angels were not accused of being involved in the shady deals). With that deal having to go back to the drawing board, Moreno probably decided he was getting too old for all this and is now thinking it's time to get out.

The new owner should replace Angel Stadium with a new stadium built in its parking lot, and somewhere down the line the Chargers build a stadium for themselves next door.
The Chargers have a 30 year lease at SoFi that's pretty iron clad, and basically consists of paying a dollar a year. They're not leaving there. (And if they were to leave, they belong in San Diego, dammit.)

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Angels (Like Cubs & Red Sox) will need new stadiumsery soon.
Cubs just spent millions on renovations to Wrigley. Ones specifically designed to update the park to modern standards for player facilities while still keeping the look and charm of the place. And the Red Sox did similar for Fenway only a few years back. They're not replacing either any time soon.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pro teams in Cali have to pay for heir own stadiums. So probably a good time to get out if the owner doesn’t have the energy to oversee the project.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
As a lifelong Cubs fan (since the Sandberg days) I definitely cannot see this happening. With all the renos that happened in Wrigley since 2014, doubtful they look to build anything in the foreseeable future.

I assume the same for Fenway as they did several renos up to and including this year. Too much reverence and too much money sunken into to both stadiums. Granted it is a bit trickier with Fenway's configuration than Wrigley's to keep renovating but honestly cannot see it happening.

Doesn't mean it's impossible but highly unlikely in our lifetimes.

Chicagoans have also been burned before and probably wouldn't want to see another abomination like Soldier Field happen to Wrigley. What a sad result to such a storied place. Perhaps in another 40-50 years, some wrongs can be righted there.

Sure, each could build new parks with almost exactly the same field dimensions like the Yankees did. Both would have to be very careful about seating as a lot of Yanks fans were/are NOT happy with the current layout. BUT one of the biggest issues at least with the Cubs is the neighbourhood that has incorporated the ballpark into its culture. Also the fact that the owners (Ricketts family) bought up lots of the adjacent buildings and most of their fortune is tied into the Cubs and that aforementioned real estate. Just plonking a stadium in some vacant lot next to a highway with the same dimensions as the old park does not necessarily a great experience make.

Assuming the same would be true for the Red Sox but I don't follow them as closely.

Again comparing the New Yankee Stadium experience, the Yankees built a block away on a public park so no real change to the neighbouhood, not that it's really the same as Wrigleyville.

The properties the Ricketts' bought surrounding Wrigley are nowhere close to the footprint needed to build another stadium. Maybe a shared few seasons in whatever the White Sox call their stadium could house the Cubs during a rebuild. Maybe.

As for the Halos, it's really anyone's guess. Doesn't have the reverence that Dodger stadium has in LA. I'd also love it if they could go back to calling themselves the California Angels.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
In other words, Moreno was looking for a gobsmackingly huge payout and nobody serious nibbled at the bait.

And barring a Godzilla attack, the Cubs and Red Sox will never move out of Wrigley or Fenway. Both stadiums are integral cornerstones to their entire branding. Most we'll see is additional enormous renovations.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not an Angel fan, but they are the closest major league team to where I live now so I go to one or two games a year. It's just a bland experience, I've always described Angel Stadium as just like a larger minor league park. Production value sucks, the team is rarely good despite Ohtani and Trout. I really thought they'd do well if Moreno sold the team and they could rebrand and rebuild. His ownership has led the franchise to become completely stale and wasting the primes of two of the greatest baseball players of their generation. I heard rumors they were looking at building a park in Tustin where there's an open lot, but the chatter on that has slowed down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad