News Article: Arron Asham on Torts and his future

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lol. Then maybe you can point me to the post where someone claimed that Torts was 100% at fault and the players deserved none of the blame. You know, like you keep claiming other people have said.

offda posted in this thread and blamed everything on Torts. He wouldn't even give him credit for winning.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He didn't have the best team. How often since then has a team repeated as Cup champs. It has become incredibly hard to do that.

There was little roster turnover from 1994 to 1995 and from 1992 to 1993.

Very little.

The truth is that Neilson, Campbell, Renney and Tortarella never preached or strategized puck pursuit, confronting the puck, and pressing the puck.

Keenan made a science out of it. The guy took three different teams to the SCF in seven years. Three. All three never recovered after he left. The 1995 Hawks being the lone exception.

I love when people try to marginalize Keenan's impact on the 1994 team.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You do put words in people's mouths or you infer a dramatic or altered version of the intended message.

I might misunderstand a message but i ask for a clarification of what the poster meant. In this thread and In others I have been accused of wanting to keep Torts even when I plainly said the opposite.

Everyone here sometimes wrongly infers comments, but I give the opportunity to clarify a position. If someone attempts to clarify a statement and then slightly alters the topic I say so. I understand that that can be irritating to some, but if someone is going to make a statement like Callahan should have stood up to Torts and didn't, it raises obvious questions.

How does the poster know this?

Besides Messier, who do we know that has done this?

Is that part of a captain's job?

We all have opinions based on what we see and hear. We can disagree about how to interpret this data, but when anyone makes a statement that is near impossible to verify, it is fair to ask where it came from.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
No it wasn't. Not my first comment at least.

And mark Messier played hockey.

Welcome aboard.

Your snarky comment aside, you seem to be agreeing with me that the only instance of this is Messier, and even a casual fan understands that Messier wielded far more power than Callahan does.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Lol. Then maybe you can point me to the post where someone claimed that Torts was 100% at fault and the players deserved none of the blame. You know, like you keep claiming other people have said.

People still use lol?

Weak.

If you can't find multiple posts ripping Torts to shreds.....

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Proof?

Pretty friggin broad and general assumption. Two can play your little game.

I played college hockwy, minor league baseball, coached hockey, basketball, and baseball and have never been on a team where someone didn't feel they should be getting more playing time. It is human nature.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
People still use lol?

Weak.

If you can't find multiple posts ripping Torts to shreds.....

Yeah, guess I'm old school. Is lirl the new one? So much better.

Anyway, you still completely miss the point. I have criticized Torts. So have many others. That isn't the problem. The problem is that you continue to assert that these same fans are absolving the players of all blame. It has been stated repeatedly, in no uncertain terms, that there is more than enough blame to go around.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Proof?

Pretty friggin broad and general assumption. Two can play your little game.

I played college hockwy, minor league baseball, coached hockey, basketball, and baseball and have never been on a team where someone didn't feel they should be getting more playing time. It is human nature.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah, guess I'm old school. Is lirl the new one? So much better.

Anyway, you still completely miss the point. I have criticized Torts. So have many others. That isn't the problem. The problem is that you continue to assert that these same fans are absolving the players of all blame. It has been stated repeatedly, in no uncertain terms, that there is more than enough blame to go around.

I think only the fringe folks on this board have placed total blame on one thing or another. For me, it comes down to who you place most of the blame on. And I've seen a TON of posters framing their arguments as if Tortorella deserved the lion's share of blame. And thats what I don't agree with.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think only the fringe folks on this board have placed total blame on one thing or another. For me, it comes down to who you place most of the blame on. And I've seen a TON of posters framing their arguments as if Tortorella deserved the lion's share of blame. And thats what I don't agree with.

Posters who give the 'lion share' of blame to Tort's are just closet 'total' blamers ;)

Months ago I said the weight Henrik holds with this team was being underestimated. If he thought Torts wasn't the answer going forward how could they deny him ? Henrik holds most of the cards, the Captain may be Cally but the team follows Hank as he comes and goes. We've seen it on the ice two seasons, more actually, but lets just say the past two more than ever. Off the ice its no different.

Seriously, I can't believe this conversation has been going on as long as it has but tis the offseason.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Posters who give the 'lion share' of blame to Tort's are just closet 'total' blamers ;)

Months ago I said the weight Henrik holds with this team was being underestimated. If he thought Torts wasn't the answer going forward how could they deny him ? Henrik holds most of the cards, the Captain may be Cally but the team follows Hank as he comes and goes. We've seen it on the ice two seasons, more actually, but lets just say the past two more than ever. Off the ice its no different.

Seriously, I can't believe this conversation has been going on as long as it has but tis the offseason.

Wanna argue about Sylvain Lefebvre instead?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That's fair. For what it's worth, I think Torts did a good job up until this last year. I don't completely agree with his methods, but I can't deny that the players fully bought into it in 2011-12. And I can't deny that we had our best year since 97 as a result.

But this year, for whatever reasons, the coach and the players weren't on the same page. The strategies that were employed were no longer as effective. Whether one believes that the strategies themselves were the issue, or that we lacked the right players to execute those strategies (or some combination thereof), is really moot at this point. It wasn't working and something had to change. It's far easier to change the coach than it is the players.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That's fair. For what it's worth, I think Torts did a good job up until this last year. I don't completely agree with his methods, but I can't deny that the players fully bought into it in 2011-12. And I can't deny that we had our best year since 97 as a result.

But this year, for whatever reasons, the coach and the players weren't on the same page. The strategies that were employed were no longer as effective. Whether one believes that the strategies themselves were the issue, or that we lacked the right players to execute those strategies (or some combination thereof), is really moot at this point. It wasn't working and something had to change. It's far easier to change the coach than it is the players.

In a nutshell, I think the roster turnover jettisoned a lot of players that were willing to sacrifice a ton to win hockey games, and imported guys that simply don't know how to win and/or weren't willing to make the same types of sacrifice. I like a team thats willing to do whatever it takes, and I think searching for a head coach that can placate whatever type of team this one is, is heading in the wrong direction. Hope Im wrong.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

I don't think the weight Lundqvist held was ever in question.

Whether or not he would ever use that weight...

Well we know the answer now. And if Hanks assessment was what I think it was, I agree.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
But can we relate them both to Kevin Bacon somehow?

Sylvain Lefebvre was a teammate of Brian Leetch who was a teammate of Tim Sweeney who was a teammate of Cam Neely who was in Dumb and Dumber with Jim Carrey who was in The Truman Show with Laura Linney who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I think you're right. But the reason this continues to be a topic of conversation for me is because I think its ridiculous that a goaltender's feelings towards offense can sway huge decisions within an organization. And its a prime example of how inept Glen Sather's management style is.

I love Lundqvist, but he gets paid to stop pucks. If Ranger management got together, collectively were not happy with the direction of the team, made the change, and then conveyed the type of hockey they'd like to see played, I'd be able to live with that.

But firing a coach because their goaltender wasn't happy with the lack of support? Or because some players complained about being yelled at too much?

Its just not a way forward. Its knee-jerk crap.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But can we relate them both to Kevin Bacon somehow?
You know I can.

Lefebvre coached Milan Hejduk on the 2009-10 Avalanche
Hejduk played on the 2005-06 Avalanche with Ian Laperriere
Ian Laperriere was in This is 40 with Paul Rudd
Paul Rudd was in The 40 Year Old Virgin with Steve Carrell
Steve Carrell was in Crazy, Stupid, Love with Kevin Bacon

Tortorella coached Rick Tocchett on the 1997-98 Coyotes
Rick Tocchet was on the 1995-96 Bruins with Cam Neely
Cam Neely was in Dumb and Dumber with Jeff Daniels
Jeff Daniels was in the Squid and the Whale with Laura Linney
Laura Linney was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon

edit: damn you, SBOB

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
You know I can.

Lefebvre coached Milan Hejduk on the 2009-10 Avalanche
Hejduk played on the 2005-06 Avalanche with Ian Laperriere
Ian Laperriere was in This is 40 with Paul Rudd
Paul Rudd was in The 40 Year Old Virgin with Steve Carrell
Steve Carrell was in Crazy, Stupid, Love with Kevin Bacon

Tortorella coached Rick Tocchett on the 1997-98 Coyotes
Rick Tocchet was on the 1995-96 Bruins with Cam Neely
Cam Neely was in Dumb and Dumber with Jeff Daniels
Jeff Daniels was in the Squid and the Whale with Laura Linney
Laura Linney was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon

edit: damn you, SBOB

Really impressive stuff. Someone get this guy a front office job.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I don't think the weight Lundqvist held was ever in question.

Whether or not he would ever use that weight...

Well we know the answer now. And if Hanks assessment was what I think it was, I agree.

I say months ago because you could see that he was not happy and it wasn't about one look at a Dman after a goal is scored like in previous years. You could tell it was the workload and the constant need for him to be almost perfect. That came from not just the inadequate goal totals, the chances were not even close most nights.

I think you're right. But the reason this continues to be a topic of conversation for me is because I think its ridiculous that a goaltender's feelings towards offense can sway huge decisions within an organization. And its a prime example of how inept Glen Sather's management style is.

I love Lundqvist, but he gets paid to stop pucks. If Ranger management got together, collectively were not happy with the direction of the team, made the change, and then conveyed the type of hockey they'd like to see played, I'd be able to live with that.

But firing a coach because their goaltender wasn't happy with the lack of support? Or because some players complained about being yelled at too much?

Its just not a way forward. Its knee-jerk crap.

I agree with the inept management style, but thats all the more reason for me to trust a player like Hank who has seen championships in the last dozen years and decide nows a good time to change. If it were up to the buffoon it would just be business as usual at Kramerica industries, and that's not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00