You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
1696022430851.png

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
It really is awesome how so many cold cases are getting solved thanks to the latest technology. The Boy in the Box, The Sommerton Man, and now this. Soon getting away with murder will be nearly impossible.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
It really is awesome how so many cold cases are getting solved thanks to the latest technology. The Boy in the Box, The Sommerton Man, and now this. Soon getting away with murder will be nearly impossible.

With improved technology, it is nice that some high profile killings are being solved years later..
But the stats actually reveal that the % of unsolved murder cases is increasing. There are several non-tech related explanations. Less cooperative witnesses & citizens.. demoralized cops, increasing numbers of total cases. I remember in 2020, the (nationwide) rate of cleared murder cases dropped below 50%, and I think it has continued to gradually sink. But when we see arrests in these old open cases, it does create an illusion that technology will eradicate/preclude unsolved killings..

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
With improved technology, it is nice that some high profile killings are being solved years later..
But the stats actually reveal that the % of unsolved murder cases is increasing. There are several non-tech related explanations. Less cooperative witnesses & citizens.. demoralized cops, increasing numbers of total cases. I remember in 2020, the (nationwide) rate of cleared murder cases dropped below 50%, and I think it has continued to gradually sink. But when we see arrests in these old open cases, it does create an illusion that technology will eradicate/preclude unsolved killings..

Damn thats nuts I never would have thought. That's a damn shame

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I thought the Somerton Man only had a potential resolution but was not confirmed? The and associated articles make it seem like police have yet to affirm the claims made by the genealogist and university professor.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
I thought the Somerton Man only had a potential resolution but was not confirmed? The and associated articles make it seem like police have yet to affirm the claims made by the genealogist and university professor.

IIRC they were able to figure out the man's identity, and that it was likely a suicide and that it was nothing sinister. Many believed before that he was a spy or member of British intelligence that was killed. Apparently he was just a lonely artist. But yes, it's likely unconfirmed but I think there was enough evidence to debunk those popular theories.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean the dude has been blabbing about it for like 15 years. Not sure we can thank excellent dedicated police work for finally cracking the case lol

f*** Puffy P Diddy Puff Daddy Diddy or whatever that goof is calling himself now tho

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
I mean the dude has been blabbing about it for like 15 years. Not sure we can thank excellent dedicated police work for finally cracking the case lol

f*** Puffy P Diddy Puff Daddy Diddy or whatever that goof is calling himself now tho

Sure, but now we know he's not one of those nuts. Like the hundereds of people claiming to be DB Cooper or Elvis lol

Reactions: tarheelhockey

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Sure, but now we know he's not one of those nuts. Like the hundereds of people claiming to be DB Cooper or Elvis lol
The DB Cooper case is still one of the most interesting cases i have read about. You just wonder if it was someone who was never found because they were never declared missing. Like organizing the stunt over a long week end or vacation so that no one really noticed they were gone.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The DB Cooper case is still one of the most interesting cases i have read about. You just wonder..organizing the stunt over a long week end or vacation so that no one really noticed they were gone.
Amen..
Cooper's jump happened on Thanksgiving' eve.. which would've been a perfect 4 day weekend (Thur-Sun) for him to carry out his theft, and hike back to his homebase. This is why I've always believed he survived (but lost the $). After the jump, (I suspect) he went right back to work on Monday morning. If he died on Thanksgiving, and never returned to work, or family get-togethers.. his sudden disappearance would've been noticed.

And with the incredibly detailed, highly publicized composite sketch(es), it seems likely a co-worker, neighbor, or family member would've linked Cooper's Thanksgiving week disappearance with the Thanksgiving crime.. which didn't happen, so I don't think he did die, even tho it was a reckless jump.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Amen..
Cooper's jump happened on Thanksgiving' eve.. which would've been a perfect 4 day weekend (Thur-Sun) for him to carry out his theft, and hike back to his homebase. This is why I've always believed he survived (but lost the $). After the jump, (I suspect) he went right back to work on Monday morning. If he died on Thanksgiving, and never returned to work, or family get-togethers.. his sudden disappearance would've been noticed.

And with the incredibly detailed, highly publicized composite sketch(es), it seems likely a co-worker, neighbor, or family member would've linked Cooper's Thanksgiving week disappearance with the Thanksgiving crime.. which didn't happen, so I don't think he did die, even tho it was a reckless jump.
Copycats that were unprepared and reckless managed to survive the jump. The biggest difference being that they were caught unlike the original. Could he have died? Maybe. But it's far from a certainty.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad