Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
I think we should claim him. We've still got a bad team, he's not going to win games on his own this season, and it helps get better faster next year.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Shows how desperate LA is to get rid of him to possibly bring up someone younger and cheaper. If there was some interest in the trade talks then you would think he would be claimed by at least one team. Depending on the potential trade partners maybe there are cap implications where teams that were in discussions do not have the cap space to claim him. Looking at available cap space maybe teams like Ottawa, Columbus and Minnesota would consider adding him. I had the Islanders on my initial list because of cap room but then removed them after looking at their roster however the Okposo injury may open a slot. Hasn't he played He has only been getting 10-13 minutes of ice team with no PK and very limited PP so there may be increased point production with more ice team and better linemates. For tank purposes we would prefer Edmonton, Carolina and Arizona to claim him with Edmonton having the highest need at C.

All things considered I do not want him with the Sabres at this present time. In my mind I'm thinking that if it were next year it would warrant more consideration but all he would do is eat into the minutes of guys that we want to see if they can produce or not. So if he ended up playing farther down the depth chart with less ice time then he's back to being in the same position as he presently is with the Kings. He has five full years remaining on the contract after this conclusion of this season. It appears that unless he retired this offseason there will be no recapture penalties because his salary is the same as the cap hit for the final four seasons. The recapture would only be 250,000 spread evenly over five years so it's negligible not to mention it being unlikely he would retire.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Shows how desperate LA is to get rid of him to possibly bring up someone younger and cheaper. If there was some interest in the trade talks then you would think he would be claimed by at least one team. Depending on the potential trade partners maybe there are cap implications where teams that were in discussions do not have the cap space to claim him. Looking at available cap space maybe teams like Ottawa, Columbus and Minnesota would consider adding him. I had the Islanders on my initial list because of cap room but then removed them after looking at their roster however the Okposo injury may open a slot. Hasn't he played He has only been getting 10-13 minutes of ice team with no PK and very limited PP so there may be increased point production with more ice team and better linemates. For tank purposes we would prefer Edmonton, Carolina and Arizona to claim him with Edmonton having the highest need at C.

All things considered I do not want him with the Sabres at this present time. In my mind I'm thinking that if it were next year it would warrant more consideration but all he would do is eat into the minutes of guys that we want to see if they can produce or not. So if he ended up playing farther down the depth chart with less ice time then he's back to being in the same position as he presently is with the Kings. He has five full years remaining on the contract after this conclusion of this season. It appears that unless he retired this offseason there will be no recapture penalties because his salary is the same as the cap hit for the final four seasons. The recapture would only be 250,000 spread evenly over five years so it's negligible not to mention it being unlikely he would retire.

The weird thing is that LA doesn't really save much cap space if he clears waivers. Only about 950k. They are betting on him being claimed.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
@DarrenDreger
Unless a trade for Colin Greening surfaces very quickly, expect Greening on waivers as early as tomorrow.

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
Still can't believe LA didn't amnesty Richards in the off-season.

Should we claim him? Ugh, if this were next season, or if we were 8 points back of 29th this would be an easy 'yes.' I think the contract would be manageable, but would it jeopardize the tank? I'd lean towards not claiming. If they couldn't work a trade, you could probably get him in the off-season.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
What are the odds Murray is working the phones trying to move hodgson before deciding whether or not to claim Richards?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Claim him and trade him.

dollar-dollar-bills-y-all-o.gif

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Teams have had probably a good period to trade for Mike Richards as Lombardi has quietly shopped him. Nothing happened. What makes anyone think that the Sabres would be able to be able to shop him any differently. This guy is a former 88 point, two time Stanley Cup winning player. He's slipped and now is nothing like he used to play. He has no appeal right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://mayorsmanor.com/2015/01/full...aign=Feed:+mayorsmanor/wapX+(MayorsManor.com)

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/latest-mike-richards-rumors-january-27-2015/

SPECTOR’S NOTE: No NHL GM worth his salt should put in a claim for Mike Richards. I’m sorry, but Richards isn’t the player he used to be. His supporters try to say Richards isn’t getting a fair shot with the Kings, but that’s making the assumption that head coach Darryl Sutter has suddenly become incredibly stupid or has a grudge against Richards. The simple fact is Richards, who’ll turn 30 on Feb. 11, is clearly past his prime and has been for a couple of years now. Kings GM Dean Lombardi gambled on him last summer, hoping he’d regain his form this season if he improved his offseason conditioning. While every account I’ve read claims Richards did what was requested of him, it did nothing to improve his game. Richards played a strong two-way game for years, but that style takes its toll. His big contract also doesn’t help. I’ll be shocked if any team claims Richards off waivers and takes on that big, lengthy contract.

Yup, pretty much.

Hodgson for Richards at the draft is about the only type of way I see Richards to Buffalo making sense. But, it's obvious that LA wouldn't want Hodgson's contract coming back.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Richards has clearly put on some weight. I think there's a bit more left in the tank than he's shown in LA. Being stuck in a 4th line role doesn't help, and I think he needs change of scenery.

That being said, he's not the 60 pt, captain material, two way center he once was. I think at best he's probably a 30-40 pt checking center, though, his foot speed has decreased quite a bit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I remember when I first joined how we lambasted Vanek and were envious of Philly because of Carter and Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad